Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Andrew Richard Buxton. 3rd Rifle Brigade

stiletto_33853

Trenches,

5.30 p.m. Friday, September 10.

"I really must get this off to-night, but not without telling you of a real big experience the past twenty-four hours........ In the afternoon R. and I let off some rifle grenades at the German sap for the purpose of ranging them and then using at night. 'B' Coy. on my right slao let off some 'Tobies' at the same time. The last are trench mortars, and throw what looks in the air like a big, oval shaped thing, tumbling about aimlessly; weight about 60lbs.

..... At dusk I just saw from one bit of my line a working party of about twenty-five Germans, starting along their bit of trench, in which I put five rounds with a rifle. I had also asked for a machine gun, and later 'traversed' this bit of ground with it.......... After dusk there occurred what sometimes had been, but was new to me, a shout starting from the south of the German line of 'Hoch ! Hoch ! Hurray !' and gradually taken up all along it. Previously you heard the working parties, digging, hammering, and talking, when near them, but to have a general shout was indeed strange. We of course answered with such calls as 'Whats the mattaer ?' It appeared they had had news of some success, possibly the Zeppelin raid I hear you have had, but in the early hours of this morning, when the bombardment was on, I felt pretty convinced they had been informed that they were to do an attack on us. One of the 'posts' I have out sent for me about 10.30 p.m. to come and take note of the German work on their sap, and the direction they were taking. I stayed out there about an hour, and by flares sent up from a certain part of our line from time to time, and the German flares themselves, saw pretty much what I wanted to know. The post threw one bomb while there at what they thought was German patrol crawling up, but which was probably nothing but rats, but about five minutes after leaving the post, Bosche or Bosches threw a bomb at the 'post' which did no harm.

"I have, of course, a revolver on these occasions. When fit as I am, I have not the nervy feeling I would have feared if I had thought of what the work involved before coming here. The risk I run in going out to the posts is the minimum, but it is my duty te see all is in order, also to learn such information as I can. 'B' Coy. one night had a man come near, and call out to their post 'Hi Soldier !' probably wishing to surrender, but in this ghastly world such might easily be done with intention of ascertaining where the post was for bombing it, so the only answer was a bomb, though no harm was done him, I think. At about 4.30 this morning, Friday, as I was just thinking of turning in, being pretty weary after a hard night's work, sometimes bailing water with the men from the trenches for about an hour, and then building up the new trenches with spilnter-proofs, etc., our heavy guns opened fire, and I thought were probably going to give some real retaliation for the Bosche shooting yesterday, so I ploughed along to the right of our line, map in hand, where I had a good view of the country as the distant land rises. It was interesting to see whether they would make good practice on the German lines, but they did not keep it up long. I returned and rolled up in my dug-out for about half an hour, when the Bosches opened on us with whizz-bangs and high explosives, but not bigger than five or six inches; the biggest fuses you have, which I sent home, belong to these shells. Sometimes five or six together, all more or less in the same place. The whole place rocked and whirled with it, and a rain of earth and debris covered everything, or rather swished in torrents of shrapnel like thousands of rockets cutting the air.

Oh, how you would hate it all ! This loveless land, in which there seems nothing of God, nor indeed of man, but only just of the Devil. Every ingenuity to kill. I should not mind so much if it was left to fists and clubs, with half the numbers, would be all right, but the helplessness before guns and rifles is rotten ! It is either Tuesday or Wednesday that we go back to rest, and next time up we shall probably be back in trenches, which will be a mercy."

Tuesday, September 14.

"I have not really told you about last Friday's bombardment. After our guns had stopped, the Germans opened fire, for a bit of rapid rifle fire, then gun fire again, a slight pause, then more gun fire. In all about three and a hafl hours. Men who have been out here all the time consider it the heaviest bombardment they have experienced. It was true terrors, though I am thankful to say I did not mind it nearly as much as most. The cook at our Coy.'s Headquarters was killed, and several men in the Battalion killed or wounded, but only one man wounded in my platoon. It really was marvelous. The C.O says he considers they were firing 200 shells a minute, for, in all, about three and a half hours, on a 500 yard front. Several of my men were a bit damaged by earth falling on them.

Of course the trenches were in many parts knocked to bits. Our telephone wire was broken, and an attack after it was expected, so it was an exciting time. The men are badly upset by shell-fire whenever anywhere close, and of course with this bombardment frighfully so. It is very troubling to find these fellows shaking all over. We had no attack after it, but there was a lot of trouble about, as I got certain messages of Germans crawling up to my line, etc......... I send some of the telephone messages I have been getting, which make life strenuous. (Such as : 'Information from ________ points to possibility of flame or gas attack, as Germans have been seen carrying tins on their backs. Warn all patrols to be vigilant.' 'Information received. Possible that Germans contemplate an attack this morning, preceeded by bombers. Extra vigilance will be wise.' 'Warn all ranks about smoke helmets to-night owing to east wind.' 'Report that seven Germans crawling up in grass to "Forward Cottage" but that five have now gone back; two are still there. Keep your men on the alert.')

One frequent mode of German attack is to get into a bit of trench with a few men, by means of gas, fire, and bombs, and, if satisfactory, attack in force."

To his Mother.

3 p.m. Wednesday, September 15, 1915.

"I think it is clear that the enemy in front of us were relieved by fresh troops two nights ago, which accounts for their quietness. Posibly they are shifting troops very considerably. Their habits in the last few days have also changed........... Every one will be right glad to get out of trenches to-morrow night, probably about 11 p.m.

If only things were moving, I think the strain, which in this life is on so many, would not be so great, but to be endlessly digging oneself in, and then shelled each day when there is nothing but to sit still and hope the shells will not land on top, is truly hard work for any men !........

The Germans are now putting over our heads in this line some big stuff, probably about 9 inch. These big shells go very slowly, sort of toddling their way over, if such an expression describes a sound ! then a vast crump as they explode. How I should like you to be here for a bit........

We have while here lost several of our best men, and generally very weak. I have to have men on for four hours patrol on end, and then back to sentry work, which is of course far too much. Two hours sentry in England is considered enough, and so it is.

I have been very glad to have your extra provisions in order to give to the men, who require and deserve any luxuries........

Such a gorgeous sunset. These sunsets, also lovely nights, also odd birds and beasts, including two small spiders I have never seen before, are as refreshing as anything you can imagine. To have a good look at a good sunset is warranted to do good to any on, and especially if at war."

2 p.m. Thursday, Spetember 16.

"We are to be relieved to-night, and, like return from school, I count the hours to getting clear of this place. It has been very hard work, and harder than a return to it will be - the position being now known."

Postcard.

4 a.m. Friday, September 17.

"Got back here about half an hour ago, and real joy at it.

Mother's letter of Tuesday, 14th here. Had some cocoa, and awfully fit. Covered with mud, but none the worse for it.

Be careful to keep clear of the Zepps. No shells to wake me !"

3rd R.B., Huts,

2.30 p.m., Friday, September 17, 1915.

"This is good indeed ! A most gorgeous day which all men are using for a general wash, clean up, and rest.

We had breakfast about noon, with clean shirts, etc., and slacks instead of breeches and intensely ragged puttees, which mine had become, thanks to putting up barbed wire at the front. My hands are aslo pretty much torn, thanks to the same cause, but to have a few scratches is always a good tonic to me.........

I have just been darning the corners of the pocket of my coat, which have been for some time worn inot holes from the rubbing against the trenches !

This morning my usual small bucket of very black water, but to have clothes off for the first time in a fortnight, and a good soap and sluish down, outside the hut, needless to say, with fresh clothes to put on, was a vast joy and refreshment.

We are in the same huts as before, which is satisfactory, as they keep the wet out. At the moment everything beautifully hard and dry, and very different to what we left it.

We were relieved all right last night, and fortunately had a quiet evening, in the matter of rifle fire and shells, by which we had no casualties getting away.

There were two or three men sniping at us earlier in the evening, whom I was pleased to stop by returning it. I kept ready and returned one or two rounds at the spot the flash of their rifles indicated, as far as aiming was possible to do. I prefer to do a job like this myself, as I know the exact limits of our patrols and listening posts in front, and so can shoot in safety."

Huts in Flanders.

7.30 p.m. Staurday, Spetember 18, 1915.

"The last day in the trenches in the morning I went for a look round at the greound to the north, all the time, of course, following trenches. It would not take long to be shot if above ground anywhere there ! I should have had a man with me, as so often I got to bits of trench practically disused, and if shot, would not have been found for long. This sort of trip is interesting, though hard work, as there is so much water, and general difficulty and keeping head down in low places. At night, when moving about above ground, I always take a man.

"In the bombardment of the 10th I proved the truth of the proverbial luck of white heather. I got my letters about 3 a.m. that morning, just before the bombardment began,, with which was one from Lillian in Scotland, enclosing a piece of white heather, which I stuck into the side of my dug-out, and I had not a single casualty. It is worth recording, though my faith in such charms is nil."

1 p.m., Sunday, September 18.

"We have just had a very nice Service in the open, with band, and Communion Service in a hut after. Neville Talbot is really excellent. He spoke on 'All things work tohether for good........'

Our total losses in the Battalion these thirteen days (killed, wounded, and sick) have been 100, of which 40 killed and wounded, and of which my Company had 21.

"To-morrow the Coy. go to railhead for baths; I may possibly have one if the water is not to black and smelly.

The very best of food. Poached eggs and bacon for breakfast, your cold beef of something tinned for lunch, with tinned fruit, tea with variety jam, biscuits, etc., and a supper of hot ration beef, potatoes, and tinned fruit. Also, at all times, baby food if available. Then your chocolate, etc., is always to hand, and most delicious - sweet stuffs are, for some reason, very nice here.

Sleep excellently well, often through heavy shell-fire."

Huts in Flanders.

7.30 p.m. Staurday, Spetember 18, 1915.

"

"In the bombardment of the 10th I proved the truth of the proverbial luck of white heather. I got my letters about 3 a.m. that morning, just before the bombardment began,, with which was one from Lillian in Scotland, enclosing a piece of white heather, which I stuck into the side of my dug-out, and I had not a single casualty. It is worth recording, though my faith in such charms is nil."

:) Nothing to lose by putting it into the dugout though!

Marina

Huts.

7 p.m. September 20, 1915.

"We apparently just escaped another bombardment, either on the trenches we have been in, or adloining them. This is from information from the summary of news which we have every day, and which I have just seen.

There is no doubt that the coming ten days or fortnight may easily be momentous days in ours and the World's history. We are not likely to come into what is on - I can say no more - but we possibly do so."

"To-morrow we leave these huts, having had our six days, and go into support trenches........ My valise, which I leave with the transport, has got to be reduced to 35 lbs. - this in view of something happening quite soon !"

Support Trenches.

11.30 a.m. Thursday, September 23, 1915.

"Exactly a year since I go to Ashtead as a Private in His Majesty's Army. It is very strange to look back on those early days, billeted with Wilson and going over to Lillian."

"The men of No.10 Section to whom I gave the partridges say they greatly liked them : one saying, 'That is why we marched here so well last night,' another, in reply to an inquiry whether they were good, 'I don't know much about poultry, but they were just as I should always like to have it.........'

We got here all right last night about 7.15. You would have been surprised to have seen the Canal, whose sides we inhabit like rabbits..........

It is a different feel to be well away from the enemy here, no need to keep smoke down, particularly, and the light of the little braziers, made out of any old tin boxes, looked most picturesque in the water last night.

Yesterday we were slightly short of water, which is so often the case first day after coming up to trenches, as we have only what is in our water bottles till the ration-carts come up next night. Here there is a good well supply, the use of which is allotted to our Coy. between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m.

Last night we went to do the digging work, which you know we have on hand at a certain place (breastworks). We left about 7 p.m. for our old dumping ground, to take with us some dug-out frames and other material. But the transport had not arrived with it, so we had to wait about an hour in heavy rain, which had just begun. We then got it, and each man with a sand bag round his neck to keep his shoulders dry carted the stuff up to the right place.

You never knew such slipperiness, and crossing several trenches with this heavy stuff was difficult. It was too bad to work, so we just left the stuff at the breastworks, and came back."

6 p.m. September 24.

"Coming here I noticed that the Bosche have now knocked to tower of the Cloth Hall down. The spire of the Cathedral, which is such a fine landmark here, still remains, I am glad to say, though sorely battered. I intended to try and get this off by the transport on its return to-night, as we are having very big days, and it may be that any day both letter writing, or transport to take letters if they were written, may be impossible. I wish I could tell you all news that I have, though very possibly you may have more or less as much in England. The day is a great one to live in, but it is still greater to take a part in the events that make for the greatness. Don't therefore be alarmed iof you hear nothing from me any time, for possibly a considerable time - I shall probably be going strong in more ways than one. What is on os, I fear, hardly likely to affect us here (1), but, if properly successful, would do so, and I therefore warn you about letters."

(1) The Battle of Loos.

To his Mother.

Support Trenches,

8.15 a.m. Saturday, September 25, 1915.

"I forgot to tell you in the bombardment we had in the last trenches in September 10 it was interesting to see how the shock of the exploding shells made the spiders drop down from the hedges and trees, and hang by their threads, then work up, only again to fall. We had the joy up there of a dead cow just beyond one of the sap heads, from which our patrol usually got out, and then did their listening work, often sitting just by it, or even on it, I think. When I went out there, I preferred a few yards more to the right to listen, though I must say it's a marvelous cow, not smelling at all in spite of having been there a very long time. You see I give you all the details of this wonderful life as they occur to me................."

To A.G.H. [his brother-in-law]

3rd R.B., B.E.F.,

September 24, 1915.

"I do not like working at night with bad sniping going on, and do not think I shall ever get indifferent to it !

The strain of knowing you will have men from time to time shout out from being hit is very considerable.

How most awfully good of you to say you are reserving a pup for me - thanks greatly for thus thinking of me. All I shall want now is a quick finish to the War to do the training. As you know, I am badly wanting a golden Lab., so to look forward to this will be most excellent. For choice I like one with narrow chest, i.e. with front legs near together.......... Best of good luck.

Would that I could see you. Ever thine.

Curly."

To his Father.

Canal, 3rd R.B., B.E.F.,

Sunday, September 26, 1915.

"Information has just come in that we are to move to-night into a village, about two miles north-west of where we are now, where we shall be billeted...........

As of minor importance, I fear we have missed getting a farm.

The canal is just now very empty, a sort of muddy and 'rushy' thing; water about thirty yards wide, then rough sort of flat muddy sides, with rushes which might, but for us, hold a duck ! A line of poplars along this side where we are. Sparrows make a very friendly noise in them each evening.......

I have just seen the troubless sight of an aeroplane coming down over the front lines. I fear it was one of ours, but cannot say for certain. It was hit and brought down to a very low, when it recovered more or less, then took a header straight down. There were three others; one high above it, and two more or less following it, all apparently German. It appeared to fall just in German lines........

Telephone news has just come round to our Coy. (5.30 p.m. 26th) from Liason with French G.H.Qrs. that the French have maintained their advance, and taken 10,000 prisoners, dated 12.30 p.m. to-day. I hoped for better news still, but things may be going all right.

This morning I read some some of the men some of The Times Broadsheet literature, sitting in the sun on this bank.

The mouth-organs are very much appreciated, and are of inestimable value out here, as keeping the men in good spirits. A few more for other Platoons would at any time be welcome, and do real good."

Andrew in the trenches near Wieltje

post-1871-1164714990.jpg

In Billets.

11 a.m. Monday, September 27, 1915.

"We left the 'bank' about 7.30 last night, and came to this little place, which, surprisingly, has not been much shelled, and has houses still habitable, also quite a fiar number of inhabitants. The Officers of this Coy. are all in one house of a villa type.........

What our plans will be no one can say. I shall always sleep in my clothes with equipment ready, though probably we shall be here several days.......

1 p.m.

"You would be amused at the way old soldiers know how to look after themselves in this life - when going up to new trenches carrying bits of wood to cook themselves tea, etc., when they get there, also getting their dug-outs comfortable."

To his Sister Rosamond.

In Billets,

4 p.m. Tuesday, September 28, 1915.

"Captain Reeve was hit in the bend of the arm at 12 o'clock last night by either a maxim or rifle bullet. I do not think it touched the bone, but did cut the artery. I had just walked a few yards from being by him when I heard some one shot; this was a maxim gun Sergeant of another Regiment : he said to me he was hit in the arm, but was all right. I saw a deluge of blood, and had his coat off and sleeve up as soon as possible, and got my thumb on it and stopped it. A stretecher-bearer put on a pad and very tight bandage on the artey above, and another on the wound. He walked to the dressing station half a mile behind. He lost a terrific amount of blood and was, of course, faint. I was really glad to be there, as, though several men were there, no one was the least able to deal with it, and thirty seconds more he would have been done. Perhaps you have seen a big artery cut, but I never have before, and was astonished at the terrific rate of loss of blood."

Billets.

11.30 Wednesday, September 29, 1915.

"Plenty of wet since about 7.15 last night. My Coy. were divided by order for various carrying, etc., work.

I sent Cartwright with a carrying party of thirty men to go to a certain Regiment's dumping ground. I took fifty men later to the same ground to fetch certain R.E. double hurdles, used for a certain type of trench, and put them up. This dumping ground is a small paddock off the road, which appeared, when I got there, the most chaotic mass - solid with men, limbers being unloaded, rations, sandbags, and piles of dug-out foot-boards and other R.E. materials. A very dark night except for a dew electric torches. I don't think the Army could get on without these. Mud and driving rain. After hunting, I found an Officer of the Regiment I was carrying for. The hurdles had not come, so we took up 3,500 sandbags. A wet night, such as we had, the men all go with mackintosh sheets round their shoulders, also, of course, rifles, and, last night, spades. Carrying more things is therefore difficult, especially with the awful slippriness, particularly crossing trenches with pleasant obstacles of telephone wires to step over, to lift overhead..........

The work consisted of building up traverses in the trench knocked down by shells, and throwing up earth on to a bank from a watery ditch. With pitch dark night, driving rain,, men pretty wet through and no definite job to complete, it is wellnigh impossible to get good work done."

In Trenches,

1.30 p.m. Sunday October 3, 1915.

"We unfortunately had casualties last night in the Coy. (not in my Platoon) from a whizz bang at dusk, which killed three and hit four, among whom was the boy Thorburn you took such an interest in. He was hit near one eye, but, as I did not bandage him up, I do not know how bad it was. He was, though, standing about, and very plucky.

I write in a dug-out with rubbers on, which I have changed for those you sent me a pair which slip on easier from the Coy. Dergeant--Major. Being covered with mud, and quite a lot of things in the dug-out, I put my feet with them on - deep in mud - into sandbags. This plan, perhaps, you would like to adopt by keeping sandbags at the door at Easneye, for any one with muddy boots to get into, and so come in clean !

It is very lucky having this bright weather. The trenches, by means of foot boards, are comparitively dry. Now is the time to make them really good by taking up these boards, driving in piles, then nailing boards on to them, and riveting the sides with 6-foot hurdles; but, alas, every one is calling out for such supplies and we cannot even make a start on this trench."

To T.

3rd R.B., B.E.F.,

October 4, 1915.

"I said these trenches were getting dry, but in parts they are very bad indeed, in spite of layers of foot boards. No commencement has been made for making them fit for winter quarters, and it is worrying in the extreme..........

But I cannot get material. This, though, is promised for to-night, so a start ought to be made. The Germans have destroyed by shelling each night lately the stuff dumped for this purpose, about half a mile behing us, but besides this, there is no Brigade system - every Company cries out for different stuff as essential, and may or may not get it. In my opinion there should be some one on Brigade Staff to go round and see what is essential for immediate trench work, and see they have the materials and working parties for it. I have had several men to spare these nights, and been able to do practically nothing. It takes for the building up with sandbags and earth about 100 men on a dug-out, working about four hours. The Bosche seem to have limitless ammunition and perfect organization - aeroplanes, guns, snipers, working parties, and material for them ! All appearing to work like clockwork, and to squash any move or aggression we make, such as Toby-firing - one or two, and they return twenty large shells, or, if we snipe, they return rifle fire or shell-fire in larger measure, or fire on working parties. I do do some sniping from time to time, but it is discouraged when your guns do not back you up. Things may be different to what they seem, and we shall come out all right, but I wish the staff would come and live in the trenches for a bit, and see how things really are."

To his Mother.

Trenches

5.30 p.m. Wednesday, October 6, 1915.

"Such a joy to have about half-a-dozen fellows in two dug-outs just by me doing some decent singing, and in goods spirits. This is due to the fact of to-morrow going out of the trenches, and to a fine afternoon and evening. I gave one of them one of your mouth-organs this afternoon, which probably started it and keeps it going."

2 p.m. Thursday, October 7.

"We have just heard that we are not being relieved to-night, which, of course, is a bitter disappointment to all, but it may only be a day or two."