Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rarest book?

Audax

Assuming you meant 'without', Martin, then I'd refer you to Turner Donovan Catalogue no.30 where there is a picture of said book sporting it's vanishingly rare jacket.

No I saw it in Gieger's Bookstore, next to the Ben Hur 1860.

No I saw it in Gieger's Bookstore, next to the Ben Hur 1860.

You must mean the 3rd edition with the duplicated line on page 116.

You must mean the 3rd edition with the duplicated line on page 116.

That or grapefruits.

Spoil sport! I suspect it may be the method employed by one of the contributors to my website. He has a superb collection of all the books you've ever wanted mostly in near mint dustjackets. He won't admit to it, but I'm sure he uses a time machine!

If it's the person I think it is I have only managed to outbid them once on e-bay, and that cost me an arm and a leg but on the other

hand (no pun intended) I must have cost them a few bob because I'm usually the underbidder on quite a few of their purchases and without

me they would have had many more bargains.

I suppose we've all cost each other a small fortune over the years.

"trust in me" {he says in a snake like voice} send me all your wants and I will keep an eye out for them ..........as long as i already have them!!

Very true I expect, and I suppose we need some competition, it would be a dull hobby if it were all pleasure and no pain (he says through gritted teeth)

I have some duplicates if you get some of my wants.

I have some duplicates if you get some of my wants.

Martin, your wants are so rare none of us are ever likely to find them. You'll get a really good feeling from filling the gaps in others collections though.

Martin, your wants are so rare none of us are ever likely to find them. You'll get a really good feeling from filling the gaps in others collections though.

Nonsense, I have a lovely Official History of Combined Operations (1954) waiting for a Casualty and Medical Statistics.

Nonsense, I have a lovely Official History of Combined Operations (1954) waiting for a Casualty and Medical Statistics.

I only have a single copy of Medical Stats & it's ex-library so you wouldn't have wanted it anyway.

The Sword of the North: Highland Memories of the Great War

How much would that be worth now - with a non-original dj but in vgc.

Tom

The Sword of the North: Highland Memories of the Great War

How much would that be worth now - with a non-original dj but in vgc.

Tom

3 copies on ABE from £380 to £850 although the later is inscribed to Lloyd George. It's clearly a scarce book but these prices probably mean they won't sell very quickly so will always be easily available. Another case of dealers taking books out of the reach of average collectors.

If I was a dealer and did not sell a book within a certain period of time say 3/4 months I would be asking myself was I pricing it right? and react accordingly I cannot understand why some of these books having been listed for 2/3 years have not been reduced? perhaps just sheer laziness but it is a business to the person concerned and it requires attention.

On a slightly different note All these books we are collecting, what do we all intend to do with them when we shuffle off this mortal forum? in the approaching years {hopefully in the dim and distant future but you never know!} I for one do not wish for mine to end up being sold for a cut price {I can tell you a story about that!! } on my part I shall type out some notes to my daughter with some ideas for her and also write some idea of the value of the individual books faintly in the inside cover at least it will give her some idea of what to expect, only sensible I think with an investment of 30,000 plus? anybody else have a other ideas?

I can remember some dealers bring the same books month on month to book fairs. They want a so called "fair price", and refuse to go below that.

The internet has changed some things not for the better, since as has been said before they see a price online and believe it to be correct, even though it is the asking price not the selling price. Also supposedly super rare books are not that rare if there are 5 copies for sale online.

It's still an inefficient market.

I only have a single copy of Medical Stats & it's ex-library so you wouldn't have wanted it anyway.

I still can't get over a man who clearly loves dust jackets/wrappers will accept ex-library books :hypocrite: .

I still can't get over a man who clearly loves dust jackets/wrappers will accept ex-library books :hypocrite: .

In the case of rare books like the Medical Stats volume it's a case of taking what you can until something better comes along. For me ex-library is preferable to a gap. Anyway, Martin, you don't need me to be chasing the same books as you.

Barkalot - as we don't have any offspring I've often wondered what to do with the books after the grim reaper has called. Unfortunately he often calls in the guise of Dr. Altzheimer by which time it's too late to make any plans. I'd thought of leaving them to a library but I know from experience they're quite likely to sell them off when they need some cash. Maybe I'll just leave them all to Tom Donovan. He supplied a lot of them in the first place & at least they'd end up with the right people.

although there are cost involved perhaps an auction seems the best option? trouble is you don`t know which dealers will be left when we shuffle off as a great many of those on the "blue list" from the 1990`s have finished

although there are cost involved perhaps an auction seems the best option? trouble is you don`t know which dealers will be left when we shuffle off as a great many of those on the "blue list" from the 1990`s have finished

I use to know some dealers who will take your collection as job lot.

Back to rare books have we established Eastern Siberia published 1920 by HMSO as one of the rarest GW books, or are we saying it does not exist? Has anyone out there seen a copy? The two references in the world cat, is the document prepared for the peace conference by Protheroe.

Don't know about Eastern Siberia. From a Descartian point of view if nobody has seen it then it doesn't exist.

Todays post bought a book that might compete with it for rarity - A brief history of the 54th Field Ambulance - about which I can find no information whatsoever or trace any copies in any library including the BM & IWM.

Don't know about Eastern Siberia. From a Descartian point of view if nobody has seen it then it doesn't exist.

Todays post bought a book that might compete with it for rarity - A brief history of the 54th Field Ambulance - about which I can find no information whatsoever or trace any copies in any library including the BM & IWM.

Except John Keegan mentions it.

I have listed all my older books in an exercise book with the price I paid and the amount I would expect them to be worth and have

added notes as to rarity, signed, jacket and so. It will be for the people who inherit them to decide whether to flog them to a dealer

at a knock down price or take a chance with e-bay or sell them on Amazon at a decent price (if they sell).

Except John Keegan mentions it.

Did Keegan actually see a copy? If so where was it, or more to the point where is it now?

BM. If you or any of my fellow collectors would like to leave your books to me they would be gratefully received. I could promise them a loving home on the South Coast, glass fronted bookcases, no direct sunlight & regular dusting. Duplicates, of course, would be flogged off immediately.

BM. If you or any of my fellow collectors would like to leave your books to me they would be gratefully received. I could promise them a loving home on the South Coast, glass fronted bookcases, no direct sunlight & regular dusting. Duplicates, of course, would be flogged off immediately.

I guess that would mean you would be flogging most of mine off immediately then :D

no leave them to me!! he`s got too many already!!

Surely the IWM wouldn't sell off rare volumes left to them? I'd have thought they were the first and best location for great war donations.