Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rarest book?

Audax

I also have the travellers Library edition (purchased at Tunbridge Wells Naval & Military Fair), but later purchased a copy of the 1929 U.S edition (The Dial Press) in it's splendid jacket after seeing an image of it on your site.

Dust Jacket, I visited the archive concerning Miss Luard but took off on further travels as soon as I returned. I haven't forgotten about your book and as soon as I get a chance to go through the images I will post any pertinent information regarding that issue. Suffice to say at the moment, I noticed that she signed off some of her correspondence KEL. so that is promising in itself.

E-bay has provided me with one of the rare books I mentioned in an earlier post - 'A War Diary 1916 - 1918' by Lt. H. M. Adams, privately printed in Worcester in 1922. It's a day-by-day account of 2 years with the 2/7th & 2/8th Worcesters & B Company, 48th Batt. M.G.C. I don't recall ever seeing another copy & i can only find 3 copies in the World's libraries - IWM, Cambridge & Texas. I think it certainly passes our 'rarity' criteria.

A preliminary reading shows a highly detailed account which is well indexed & with a full listing of the personnel of the sections he served with. Well worth republishing I'd have thought.

Seaforths : thanks for the info you've turned up so far.

Alan that sounds the top level as rarity goes, nice buy.

Dust Jacket Collector,

After posting last night, I started and managed to finish going through the letters from her father. Many of these letters begin 'Dearest K.E.L... and finish 'Thine, E.P.L.

They seem to have their own way of addressing each other in the family other than their given names. I have not yet started on her letters home to family members which I am hoping to do tonight. However, I did notice when I was photographing them, she frequently signs off her letters as K.E.L. but sometimes uses a loopy E and sometimes uses a block E (I hope you know what I mean by that). Perhaps you can give me a clue as to which she has used in the book you have - it would be of help.

Without seeing the sample of handwriting that you have it will be difficult to give you a match in the form of a letter. I will also have to resort to PM and email if I were to send you a sample letter because I signed a copyright agreement at the archives to the effect that I would not put any of the material I copied onto a website or in the public domain.

On the plus side (for me anyway) I managed to find not just one but two letters written to Miss Luard from the addressee of the letter in the book I have. The first letter is the one that Miss Luard responds to and the recipient has pasted the envelope and letter into the book. The second letter is a thank you letter as she has obviously received the letter from Miss Luard.

Please let me know how you wish to proceed with this one. Many thanks

E-bay has provided me with one of the rare books I mentioned in an earlier post - 'A War Diary 1916 - 1918' by Lt. H. M. Adams, privately printed in Worcester in 1922. It's a day-by-day account of 2 years with the 2/7th & 2/8th Worcesters & B Company, 48th Batt. M.G.C. I don't recall ever seeing another copy & i can only find 3 copies in the World's libraries - IWM, Cambridge & Texas. I think it certainly passes our 'rarity' criteria.

A preliminary reading shows a highly detailed account which is well indexed & with a full listing of the personnel of the sections he served with. Well worth republishing I'd have thought.

Seaforths : thanks for the info you've turned up so far.

tis an excellent read!

Dust Jacket Collector,

After posting last night, I started and managed to finish going through the letters from her father. Many of these letters begin 'Dearest K.E.L... and finish 'Thine, E.P.L.

Thanks for all your sterling work, seaforths. This is the dedication page from my 'Diary of a Nursing Sister on the Western Front'. Definitely a 'loopy' E.

post-35362-0-46336400-1397068762_thumb.j

My signed copy of Sagittarius Rising, Cecil Lewis, and the limited edition (188 of 520 copies) of 'The Middle Parts of Fortune' are probably my best finds. The Middle Parts of Fortune was a bargain off the OXFAM website.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your sterling work, seaforths. This is the dedication page from my 'Diary of a Nursing Sister on the Western Front'. Definitely a 'loopy' E.

Remiss of me not posting my thanks to your post. Here, a belated thank you!

The archives holdings list appears to imply that P is her father which is incorrect. I had copied 700+ images from the archives and I have been through them quickly to crop them down. I have been through a good few hundred during the past week or so scan reading for information on EPL. I found within letters she sent to her father addressing him as 'Dearest Father'. Many letters in the archives have no envelope but a few do and so I managed to find one such letter to her father with the envelope intact and addressed to BG Luard.

In other family letters she refers to P, EPL and Percy who seem to be one and the same person. Other letters to other family members (siblings) use a variety of names, nicknames/pet names and initials making for complicated reading.

A large and complicated family they appeared to be and finding the above led me to do some amount of other research and letter reading hence my delay in posting a response. EPL or Edwin Percy Luard is in fact her brother, not her father who also, like their father, became a minister (vicar in England?). Ancestry census searching confirms this information to be true. I came across the following yesterday: http://kateluard.co.uk/about-kate-luard

Also, from her TNA service record:

post-70679-0-22263900-1397826940_thumb.j

Thanks Seaforths. That feels more likely. A brother & sister might have a more informal relationship & refer to each other by their initials whereas I doubt one would address one's father in that way. I was hoping he might have added a few personal footnotes to his sister's book but sadly not.

Having gone through some of the other letters she has written to other family members, she refers to him as father, dad or BGL. A few days ago now, I found I had to start a Word Doc. of notes on which terms apply to whom for future reference. Hopefully, I will be able to find some time to read through each carefully and put them into some semblance of order chronologically and to whom sent. They are collected together tied in batches according to how the archive have chosen to store them under various categories but the contents of each category is very jumbled and in no particular order.

I was limited as to what I could do in a day and selected categories from their holdings that I was most interested in but my trip was rushed not just in terms of being extremely short but the amount of planning I could achieve beforehand. I think that I will probably end up going again at some point...

Hello all,

I was wondering if any of you fellow book collectors have come across these books that I have.

1. Hard back copy of "The Story Of The 55th Division 1916-1919 by The Rev. J. O. Coop (Liverpool Daily Post Printers 1919)

2. Hard back copy of "The First Seven Divisions" by Lord Ernest Hamilton (16th Edition,revised and enlarged with six additional maps and index.) Hurst and Blacket 1916.

3. Hard back copy of " Complete Memoirs of George Sherston" by Siegfried Sassoon (New Edition 1940)

I don't know if they are rare or not but they are the oldest books that I have in my collection.

Mark.

Hello all,

I was wondering if any of you fellow book collectors have come across these books that I have.

1. Hard back copy of "The Story Of The 55th Division 1916-1919 by The Rev. J. O. Coop (Liverpool Daily Post Printers 1919)

2. Hard back copy of "The First Seven Divisions" by Lord Ernest Hamilton (16th Edition,revised and enlarged with six additional maps and index.) Hurst and Blacket 1916.

3. Hard back copy of " Complete Memoirs of George Sherston" by Siegfried Sassoon (New Edition 1940)

I don't know if they are rare or not but they are the oldest books that I have in my collection.

Mark.

All relatively common, I'm afraid. The Rev. Coop's Divisional history, which I've not read, was clearly printed in quite large numbers as it still appears regularly at anything from £10 - £100. The Hamilton sold in vast quantities, this being a 16th edition in a short time, & probably wouldn't be much read today alongside more accurate histories. The Sassoon is, of course, a great book - a collection of his 3 Sherston volumes. The first edition from 1936 ran to over 11,000 copies & subsequently additional batches of 5,000 were printed.

However this could be the start of a great collection. From little acorns..........

Just Noticed an original copy of one of the most elusive of Great War memoirs 'The Land Locked-Lake ' has been listed on E-Bay, not cheap but it's a rare classic.

Just Noticed an original copy of one of the most elusive of Great War memoirs 'The Land Locked-Lake ' has been listed on E-Bay, not cheap but it's a rare classic.

I imagine this one will already be on your new list of early war memoirs?

I imagine this one will already be on your new list of early war memoirs?

It would be, and if I were to list them in order of my favourites, it would be somewhere at the top as well.

I see there's a copy on ABE as well at £75. Both are rather tired copies by the sound of it & of course no jackets. Hopefully some of these classics will come back into print for the Centenary. I for one would rather see some timely reprints rather than yet more bloated volumes on the origins of the War.

I see there's a copy on ABE as well at £75. Both are rather tired copies by the sound of it & of course no jackets. Hopefully some of these classics will come back into print for the Centenary. I for one would rather see some timely reprints rather than yet more bloated volumes on the origins of the War.

Lets hope so , it would be nice to see a series of forgotten and rare memoirs reprinted in a quality series similar to the excellent Strong Oaks Press 14-18 collection.

I have just spent mega bucks on an original "Experiences of an unknown officer in France and Flanders 1916-1917" I know this has been reprinted but this is one of the three original copies produced for the family {this is his wife`s copy} bound in leather, marbled end papers etc, Type script, hand drawn maps shall not be able to eat for a month but it would have been rude not to buy it!

Don't under estimate Hamilton - it,s still a worthwhile read and contains some material not otherwise available. Copies are cheap and worth reading

• 3 weeks later...

I have just purchased an original copy of 'Hell's bells and Mademoiselles ' by Joseph Maxwell V.C, although recently reprinted it is quite rare in the early editions.

I have just purchased an original copy of 'Hell's bells and Mademoiselles ' by Joseph Maxwell V.C, although recently reprinted it is quite rare in the early editions.

In a jacket?

I may be able to trump that anyway. Today's post brought 'On the Remainder of Our Front' by Private 940, 'With the Heavies in Flanders' by Berdinner (signed) & 'With 303 Siege Battery in France'. If not rare, certainly all very scarce. Mind you they do mean a rather large check going off in the post!

I may be able to trump that anyway.

What's trumping?

W

In a jacket?

I may be able to trump that anyway. Today's post brought 'On the Remainder of Our Front' by Private 940, 'With the Heavies in Flanders' by Berdinner (signed) & 'With 303 Siege Battery in France'. If not rare, certainly all very scarce. Mind you they do mean a rather large check going off in the post!

Yes , it was a 5th impression copy (the same as the one on your site) . I have been looking out for a copy for two or three years so the jacket was a bonus. Well done

on your purchases , I saw a jacketed copy of ' On the remainder of Our Front ' not that long ago on e-bay but you are right they are all very scarce.

My purchase was rather expensive too but as it's no good being the richest man in the cemetery I decided to treat myself...again !

What's trumping?

A term, I believe, from ye olde game of Whist. Hopefully the player who finds the rarest book gets to keep everybody else's!