Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rarest book?

Audax

Palladour books used to produce good little lists mainly memoirs, memorial volumes, poetry etc some good little items

OK Naval Operations Revised Editions as promised

Volume 1 and 3 were revised to include Room 40 knowledge, for Volume 2 , new Galipoli information had come to light.

Vol 1 1st 1920, Revised 1938

Vol 2 1st 1921, Revised 1929

Vol 3 1st 1923, Revised 1940

I have all 3 revised , and have looked at them including Volume 3 Revised in Blue DJ.

The Naval Review of Vol 3 Revised is here http://www.naval-review.co.uk/issues/1940-4.pdf#Page=214&View=Fit with cut and paste changes.

Vol 1 and 3 came with a separate box of maps that was never sold separately.

I would also like to bring to peoples attention a Red tipped note to the Revised copy of Vol 2, which states for Vol 1 maps 3, 8 and 14, Vol 2, all the maps in the back pocket and for Vol 3: no maps are available, all the stocks having been destroyed by enemy action. Which fits with the idea of the Longmans Warehouse being destroyed in April 1940.

I have also checked the map index for Vol 3 and the revised edition, there is no differences.

So I don't believe any maps where redrawn or reprinted for any of the revised editions, they used existing ones already printed..

Does anyone have Vol 2 revised with the maps in the back pocket, and a Vol 1 or 3 with a map volume they know that came with it.

All are Very Rare without DJ, I know of a few copies being sold when I've been collecting and I haven't seen many in MOD Libraries, I think the majority went up in the Blitz.,

I have the revised Vol.1 with the map volume that came with it, both in jackets. Unfortunately I don't have the 1920 issue to compare it with. I also have the revised vol.3, sans jacket. Only the original of vol.2, I'm afraid.

Alan, in the Vol. 1 map case do any of the maps have the date 1938 on them?

No, all 18 maps have 'Ordnance Survey 1919' on them. The only possible change is on Map 4 where the time of 10pm is overprinted in 2 places '5 pm'. Strangely there are 2 copies of Map 11, but they appear to be identical.

Alan, thanks. I will have to do some more study, was looking at a map volume then realised it had come with my revised edition. The maps might different but need to do it with a first edition maps!

Thought I'd just complete my list of books from Lengel's bibliography which are new to me and which I can't find on sale. They are:-

Noel Irwin - Infantry Officer. 1943

Gerald Knight - Brother Bosch. 1919

Hugh Latymer - Chances & Changes. 1931

James Lawson - A Cameronian Officer. 1921

Walter Noble - With a Bristol Fighter Squadron. 1920

L.F.R. - Naval Guns in Flanders. 1920

Henry Reynardson - Mesopotamia 1914-15. 1919

A.B.Scott - Artillery & Trench Mortar Memories. 1932

H.Raymond Smith - A Soldier Diary. 1940

Edward Thompson - Leicestershires beyond Baghdad. 1919

Please feel free to send me any unwanted copies of the above!

Naval Guns in Flanders is hard to find,I searched for it for three years before finding it - and found it quite a disappointment. Not for sale though!

History of the Welch Regiment. Abe Books told me they had 'found' a copy. I gritted my teeth, opened my wallet and ordered it...out of print, published 1932. Should be with me tomorrow.

I'm very happy. If a bit short of cash...

Bernard

I recently managed to pick up a 1932 copy -the reprint edition did not appeal and is also now only available as a print to order, though copies can be found on the bay- but it is slightly worse for wear, with some some damage to one of the fold out maps, but worse it is missing its maps from the back pocket. Though the price was pretty good and it is still a readable copy.

I'm getting jealous all this talk of opening wallets and people finding rare books, could someone please find me something!

Martin, the books you're looking for are so rare that I doubt any of us will ever find them!

Thought I'd just complete my list of books from Lengel's bibliography which are new to me and which I can't find on sale. They are:-

Noel Irwin - Infantry Officer. 1943

Gerald Knight - Brother Bosch. 1919

Hugh Latymer - Chances & Changes. 1931

James Lawson - A Cameronian Officer. 1921

Walter Noble - With a Bristol Fighter Squadron. 1920

L.F.R. - Naval Guns in Flanders. 1920

Henry Reynardson - Mesopotamia 1914-15. 1919

A.B.Scott - Artillery & Trench Mortar Memories. 1932

H.Raymond Smith - A Soldier Diary. 1940

Edward Thompson - Leicestershires beyond Baghdad. 1919

Please feel free to send me any unwanted copies of the above!

I thought you had No 9, wasn't it the one with the annotations by Thomas Hope Floyd ( A Soldier's Diary: Sidelights on the Great War by Capt H.R Smith) ?

I did have No 7 but sold it and T.D had a copy for sale up to about a month ago.

I have seen quite a few copies of No 8 for sale over the years.

ps No 5 is on your Dust Jacket site

I thought you had No 9, wasn't it the one with the annotations by Thomas Hope Floyd ( A Soldier's Diary: Sidelights on the Great War by Capt H.R Smith) ?.

Oh my God you're right. You know my collection better than I do. I blame the weather, my brain has become saturated. You see, m'lud, I was watching the downhill curling luge, fell asleep, woke up with a start & typed the list.

Oh my God you're right. You know my collection better than I do. I blame the weather, my brain has become saturated. You see, m'lud, I was watching the downhill curling luge, fell asleep, woke up with a start & typed the list.

I quite understand, we've all done it... case dismissed.

I quite understand, we've all done it... case dismissed.

That's a relief!

This mornings post brought a previously unknown, to me anyway, book by James Hawke, 'From Private to Major'. Hutchinson 1938. Covers quite a long period of service with the Royal Signals, only about 60 pages on WW1, but at £20 I thought it worth a punt.

That's a relief!

This mornings post brought a previously unknown, to me anyway, book by James Hawke, 'From Private to Major'. Hutchinson 1938. Covers quite a long period of service with the Royal Signals, only about 60 pages on WW1, but at £20 I thought it worth a punt.

You can't really go wrong at that price, sometimes it's worth taking the chance. I purchased 'Fighting Padre' by J.L Findlay a couple of months ago (T.D has a copy on his site)

144pp but only about 20pp cover WW1, a bit disappointing but it was quite cheap, nothing ventured , nothing gained. I suppose this is the down side of purchasing on the net,

you can't actually flick through the book before you buy.

I don't know if you have discussed this before. What are the chances of ever finding a first edition of 'There's A Devil In The Drum'? I gather it didn't sell well on release. Is it true that the unsold copies were destroyed in a warehouse in the Blitz? Do we know how many copies were printed initially? I would like to hear your thoughts.

I'm not sure how many were printed - I would guess around 2,000. Several classic works were published around the same time, 1938, and I think didn't sell too well as another war was clearly imminent. I've seen at least 5 copies over the last 30 or so years although the one I have is the only one I'm aware of still in its jacket. An original would now cost you around £150 but at least £500 - £1,000 with the jacket.

I don't know if you have discussed this before. What are the chances of ever finding a first edition of 'There's A Devil In The Drum'? I gather it didn't sell well on release. Is it true that the unsold copies were destroyed in a warehouse in the Blitz? Do we know how many copies were printed initially? I would like to hear your thoughts.

I mentioned it briefly in this thread , post #114. I assume that it sold few copies because it was published late (1938) and people didn't want to read war books on the eve

of a new World War and I was told by Tom Donovan that the books that didn't sell were destroyed in the blitz.

As you know DJC has a copy in the dust jacket, I looked for a copy for ages, Tom Donovan had two copies for sale over a period of about eight years, one was x-lib which

I missed out on and another was £120 and at that time it was too expensive for me.

Eventually about a year ago i was lucky enough to acquire a signed copy, and it felt like finding the holy grail !, i don't know how many copies were printed or sold but it can't

be many, i wonder how many copies still exist?, i have a copy and so does DJC and i believe barkalotloudly has one. You just have to keep searching and don't give up!

Does anyone know what the publisher deemed a minimum of books to do a print run in the 30's?

I will check some of my sources, and research but Official Histories arn't the same, IRC a 1,000 was the lowest number for ones to be sold by Macmillian. But I will look at my research.

Faber, who published the Lucy, also published Frank Richards 2 books of memoirs. They printed 2,000 copies of Old Soldiers Never Die in August 1933, followed by another 2,000 for the second impression. On the strength of the success of that book they printed 5,000 copies of Old Soldier Sahib in April 1936. Another publisher, Ivor, Nicholson & Watson printed 2,000 copies for the first print run of Guy Chapman's 'Passionate Prodigality' in 1933 so that looks like a reasonable estimate for an unknown author.

Faber, it seems, were naturally cautious. For Sassoon's 'Fox-Hunting Man' they printed 1,500 copies in 1928, but 20,000 copies of 'Infantry Officer' in 1930. By the time of 'Sherston's Progress' in 1936 it was down to 15,720.

I've been looking too,

Sir Hubert Gough - The Fifth Army sold 3,000 copies first year

Haldane's autobiography sold over 5,000 first year

Grey's Twenty Five Years sold close to 12,000 first year

Official Histories printed:

Orders of Battle between 500 and 1,000

Naval Ops between 1,000 and 5,000

War in the Air between 2,500 and 3,500

Medical between 1,000 and 1,500

East Africa 1,500

Persia 500

France and Belgium between 2,000 and 3,000

Transportation on the Western Front 1,000

Etc

Remember this is printed not sold.

So a minimum first printing of 1,000 I would guess is what they would not go below.

It of course does not mean how many were sold and survived to now, but its a guide.

Stating the blindingly obvious there where a lot of books printed and sold!

I suppose the OH's may have survived in larger numbers because many ended up in libraries where they were kept for reference (until recently that is).

It's never going to be possible to know how many of any particular title survive but we can make some informed guesses. Sapper's first 2 War books sold over 250,000 copies within a year & although not scarce I've probably not seen more than 50 - 100 of them over the years. And you only have to look at the relative scarcity of early Agatha Christie books, which were published in vastly greater numbers than War books, to realise how attritional the effects of time can be.

Well there are many reasons why some books survived and others. I think many OH's survived in public and private libraries because they are a reference book and you don't dispose after reading a bit, you put it back on the shelf for later.

From the print numbers quoted of other books I think its now clear that they should have done an OH popular history and an OH staff history, as originally planned, in hindsight there was certainly demand. The problem was that others where trying to make money and lobbied to stop rivals getting the first book out, and some even had access to Official Sources.

The other thing about books printed in vast numbers they are never worth anything second hand, until many have been pulped, which happened during the Second World War.

Have you read Brian Bond's book on all this? It is a master piece.