Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rarest book?

Audax

A Year on the western front, by underhill, Vol 5 official history 1918, One Mole Rampant,

try finding any of those in thier original printing!!!

regards John

LAncashire Fusiliers Gazette (Regimental magazine) biut now I have a complete run 1891 to 1926 (when it changed to Gallipoli Gazette) albeit the South Africa and First War annuals are pohotocopies the rest are all originals that cost me a stack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!z

A Year on the western front, by underhill, Vol 5 official history 1918, One Mole Rampant,

regards John

It took me about eight years to find One Mole Rampant ... they all turn up eventually.

Regards

Simon

From my own parochial perspective,"Snap Shots of the 15th Battalion The Prince of Wales's Own (West Yorkshire Regiment")published by Richard Jackson 1917). It has 47 early photographs of Fovant Camp. The National Army Museum has a copy, and I wouldn't mind my own.

Moonraker

'A Kingly Grave in France' by Elizabeth Braithwaite Buckle. I managed to get a copy of Kitchener's Army by Simkins by registering it as a 'want' on Amazon.

David

"A soldier's notebook," by Brusilov. Have been looking for a copy since I was 18--finally ordered a new printing that just came out. Only took 23 years :P

Another is, "With the Russian Army," by Alfred Knox. It can be found in the library, but in ten years of searching I've never seen a copy for sale.

Paul

With Cavalry In 1915

The British Trooper in The Trench Line

Through the Second Battle of Ypres

Frederic Coleman FRGS

I dont suggest you look for this but we have had one for decades but have not seen another. it was published in 1916. Some nice pictures not often shown.

Roop

The Empire at War by CP Lucas. (No not Star Wars stuff!!) A copy of Volume II Canada, Newfoundland, West Indies, etc. emerged from my local library and I picked it up for a song. But can't find any of the other vols.

What would pals say was their most hard to find or the rarest printed book on a World War One related subject?

:unsure:

The History of 9th (Service) Battalion Sherwood Foresters 1914-1919 - cos I am still writing it :D

'The Fifth Battalion The Durham Light Infantry 1914 to 1918.

It took me ten years to get one for £100.

The next cheapest I have seen is £155.

Sean

From my own interests

T. K. Rae - 2nd Lieut. 8th Battalion, The Rifle Brigade

Author: The Rev E.C. Crosse

The Regiment do not have one in their library, Prince Consorts library do not have one.

Been trying to find a copy for many years now and have always drawn a blank.

Andy

John, I have a copy of this: want anything looking up?

Thanks chris i just covert an original for collection!!!

regards John

The 2/6th Sherwood Foresters History 1914-1918.

One of those privately published accounts with a very limited printing.

A copy cropped up once on Abebooks, but I got pipped to the post!

...but at least there is a copy in Matlock Library (if anyone is interested)

Probably not as rare as some, but for me, it is the Glorious Sixth on the 6th Northamptons. (Small printing, copies only in Libraries)

I am slowly triangulating HarryBetts' house to work out the location for a "trench raid". :ph34r:

Steve.

regards John

John,

You need to keep your eyes wider open on ebay - a set of 1918 vols 3, 4 and 5 (maps and everything) went for £150 or so recently - less than you might well pay for a copy of The Worcestershire Regt in the Great War, an item which does crop up from time to time but the Worcesters is such a fine volume that anyone who sees it usually covets it. As regards OHs the Italian volume in the original printing is a real rarity, though I have seen a couple of copies for sale over the years.

If there are real rareties I would have to say that they are association copies of volumes which might (or might not) otherwise be quite common. One item I treasure for this very reason is an anthology of WW2 poetry with a dedication from the editor (and poet) to a man known and loved as "Tubby". It had, apparently, sat for some years on the shelves of a good second hand bookshop in what might be regarded as a reasonably "bookish" town. It finally found a good home.

I always wanted one of the original 520 copies of "The Middle Parts of Fortune" and missed one a few years ago. It was the property of Manning's doctor in Bourne, Lincolnshire. It was about £40 which was two weeks wages at the time.

Just found another one - signed by F. Manning and dedicated to Peter Davies, the publisher who is mentioned in the books' printed Dedication - "To Peter Davies, who made me write it."

Cost - about £3,500!!

Tom

Tom

You can have my copy. I'll dedicate it to "Tom M, who made me sell it to him" It's a later edition but for for £350 it's yours. Just think of what you could do with the money you save!

TR