Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rarest book?

Audax

well it`s arrived the original typed copy {one of three, his wife`s copy}} "The diary of an unimportant officer" hand drawn maps, leather bound, lovely condition yep it cost me a bob or two but I consider it a good buy very unlikely to see any of the other copies?

well it`s arrived the original typed copy {one of three, his wife`s copy}} "The diary of an unimportant officer" hand drawn maps, leather bound, lovely condition yep it cost me a bob or two but I consider it a good buy very unlikely to see any of the other copies?

Lovely, is it large format? Any chance of a picture?

about 8x10 130/140 pages

'The Land-Locked Lake' by Alan Hanbury-Sparrow is one of those memoirs frequently cited in other books, but rarely ever seen 'in the flesh' . Today there are two for sale on Abebooks. One looks to be a pretty battered object, offered at £75 or so, but is from the orginal publisher, Barker, and the other is a more attractive offer of the 1977 reprint from Broderick, complete with dust jacket at just over £140. Both are above my self-imposed budget limit, but if anyone else feels flush....?

The original copy I saw on e-bay recently (see #339 on this thread),a little bit more expensive than the one on ABE but in better condition, only

had one bidder and the original copy of Q6a (see post#398)is still for sale, it just reinforces my opinion that the serious collectors of original

Great War memoirs are few and far between.

I purchased my original copy of the 'The Land Locked Lake' for £200 , but it was in it's jacket and signed and I doubt I will see another anytime

soon and I sold my 1977 reprint for £85. The reprint contained photographs of the author and reviews of the original edition but my copy had a blank

page which was a printing error( being printed in Thailand for the author who was living in Australia in 1977).

Well, based on the fact that the book is as rare as rocking horse poo, and is unlikely to come up again soon, I' ve ordered the cheaper of the two. Of course, N & MP will now announce a cheap softback reprint!

Well, based on the fact that the book is as rare as rocking horse poo, and is unlikely to come up again soon, I' ve ordered the cheaper of the two. Of course, N & MP will now announce a cheap softback reprint!

You won't regret it.

Sod's law says they will, but it's better and nicer to own an original copy(even if it's a tad worn)rather than a poor quality reprint, in my opinion.

I find this thread fascinating, even though i'm no 1st edition chaser.

I was wodering if any of you had tried scouring book reviews in old newspapers online to identify other works that may not be on your radar?

Derek.

For myself the main sources of information are bibliographies and old catalogues. If I'm looking for info on a particular book I'll read the odd contemporary review which might mention similar works but rarely something I haven't come across already. Quite often publishers lists which were added at the back of books or listed on the jackets is a better source of undiscovered material.

I guess the title of this thread, Rarest Book, also implies 'of interest'. The world is full of rare books which are rare because no-one bought them then & don't want them now. Early bibliographies of the War show that almost every journalist, novelist & amateur historian produced a 'War Book'. The vast majority have fortunately passed into oblivion.

I have several sources, as per Alan, bibliographies, and old catalogs are invaluable, I have many bibliographies. I also use bibliographies in good books, and have studied in several military libraries UK and abroad, walking up and down the shelves. Introductions and prefaces of books are most useful. Keeping ones eyes open is good. Book fairs are useful and in the old days where fantastic. Great War authors also a great source of knowledge, John Terraine who I was lucky enough to know, could talk books for days, he supported and helped me immeasurably, but he did get access to some books off me.

In the end I built my own bibliography of Official Histories which is added to regularly. It amazes me how many errors are reproduced in other books, such as the details of Der Weltkrieg volume 14, just read the preface of it, which the translators in Canada could not bother to do. So recheck your sources all the time.

I have another project on the back burner which I might restart soon, a Bibliography of Bibliographies on the Great War. Not so barking, how and where to research the Great War in books is partly a black art.

Do remember there was a paper shortage in World War 2 so many books where pulped then.

A book is rare because not many exist today, and the reasons for that can be:

Low print run

Disposed of after reading by reader

The paper rotted,

The book was published in an obscure place

People did not care about the Great War

Published wrong time

Warehouse fire

Did not sell and then pulped

Legal reasons lead to withdrawal or resulted in it not being published

It was rubbish

Some of these reasons means its hard to find out about the books and its correct titles.

So an example of a super rare book not Great War and why.

Siege of Dehli, British Indian Official History.

Published in India as guide book for the Residency, published only in India in the 1890's on really poor paper, limited print run, and paper covers, intended mainly for the guides. Many of the above conditions come into play and as a result not in any of the works on the Indian Mutiny.

Hopes this helps.

My sources have mainly been bibliographies, especially 'The Great War :I was there (1938) and catalogues especially Tom Donovan and John Marrins,

also DJC's web site which contains nearly all the most important memoirs. I have about twenty five books on my 'wants list' (no fellow collectors

I'm not saying what they are) and i am looking for quite a few jacketed copies of books that i have already got( I blame DJC for getting me hooked),

so to be honest, from a financial and spatial point of few I don't really want to find anymore, but I know I shall.

Sorry if I've helped to deplete your bank balance, BM, but Books Do Furnish A Room as they say.

I'd suggest it would probably be better to reveal the books you're after. I have a short list on my website & that has resulted in a few gaps being filled. We all come across books we already have so it might be good to pass on that info to other interested parties. I suppose the danger is alerting others to books they might not have thought of. Probably worth the risk though.

A Collectors tale= Once upon a time there was a book collector who purchased a book from another of his ilk who asked him if he

had a list of other books he was wanting as he had more to sell, so ever hopeful the naïve collector furnished him with the list

and sat back in hope and expectation. A little while later came the reply "Yes I have some of them" and that was the last he heard

from the wiley collector.

Yes collectors often see the next collector as their worst enemy, bit like car dealers. I have know 3 Official History collectors and shared information with them, one I still like, and would go out of my way to assist. The other other 2, well lets put its this way, several book dealers have confirmed that in my reluctance to help them I am not alone, they too are wary of them.

Still I will always try and help others research, how others behave I can't control, but mine I can.

A Collectors tale= Once upon a time there was a book collector who purchased a book from another of his ilk who asked him if hehad a list of other books he was wanting as he had more to sell, so ever hopeful the naïve collector furnished him with the listand sat back in hope and expectation. A little while later came the reply "Yes I have some of them" and that was the last he heardfrom the wiley collector.

Oh dear - hope it wasn't one of our little bunch!

I think I'm more worried about dodgy dealers selling books they've no right to sell (he knows who he is) or hiking the prices to ludicrous levels.

had a spot of luck yesterday {Official history of South Africa in the great war} government printer 1924 not overly scarce but seems to command a very high price anyway but this was under 100.00, a good buy

My sources have mainly been bibliographies, especially 'The Great War :I was there (1938) and catalogues especially Tom Donovan and John Marrins,
also DJC's web site which contains nearly all the most important memoirs. I have about twenty five books on my 'wants list' (no fellow collectors
I'm not saying what they are) and i am looking for quite a few jacketed copies of books that i have already got( I blame DJC for getting me hooked),
so to be honest, from a financial and spatial point of few I don't really want to find anymore, but I know I shall.

I have a different way that I shall keep to myself but it seems to work!

Spoil sport! I suspect it may be the method employed by one of the contributors to my website. He has a superb collection of all the books you've ever wanted mostly in near mint dustjackets. He won't admit to it, but I'm sure he uses a time machine!

had a spot of luck yesterday {Official history of South Africa in the great war} government printer 1924 not overly scarce but seems to command a very high price anyway but this was under 100.00, a good buy

Nice one, does it have the Erratum slip tipped in? I think it's quite scarce, and has the distinction having been reprinted at least twice by Battery Press and Naval and Military. Much sought after in South Africa. Original print run 1,000.

Ok in the spirit of sharing and hopefully getting a copy.

Has anyone ever seen a copy of Eastern Siberia, 1920, HMSO. I have always assumed it is a companion to The Evacuation of Northern Russia, which I know to being extant, having two copies. The source for this Robin Higham, Sources of British History, page 464, and page 464 in the Essay by John Keegan, so a good source. I do have the Handbook Prepared Under the Direction of the Historical Section of the Foriegn Office - No. 55. but think this is different, since that does not cover the military operations.

I would be grateful for any information, one lives in hope.

Spoil sport! I suspect it may be the method employed by one of the contributors to my website. He has a superb collection of all the books you've ever wanted mostly in near mint dustjackets. He won't admit to it, but I'm sure he uses a time machine!

The mind boggles!

I have Northern Russia but never heard/seen Eastern Siberia the net does not seem to throw up any information ? this time machine is alright but it is a bit of a ****** to find the original £`s shillings and pence! oh by the way Dr Dunn sends his regards!

I have Northern Russia but never heard/seen Eastern Siberia the net does not seem to throw up any information ? this time machine is alright but it is a bit of a ****** to find the original £`s shillings and pence! oh by the way Dr Dunn sends his regards!

That's why I put the full reference in, and it's referred to in the text specifically, so it's not just a book on a list.

Mr Wells sends his regards to Dr Dunn!

Mr Wells sends his regards to Dr Dunn!

If you could get Dr. Dunn to inscribe a copy of his book to H.G. & bring it back for me that would be very nice. And could you make sure to retain the extremely elusive jacket with it.

If you could get Dr. Dunn to inscribe a copy of his book to H.G. & bring it back for me that would be very nice. And could you make sure to retain the extremely elusive jacket with it.

Oh dear it was only issued with a dust wrapper, so it will have to go on ebay.

Oh dear it was only issued with a dust wrapper, so it will have to go on ebay.

Assuming you meant 'without', Martin, then I'd refer you to Turner Donovan Catalogue no.30 where there is a picture of said book sporting it's vanishingly rare jacket.