Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rarest book?

Audax

very pleased to have found a copy of "Our War" self published 1931? story of a sanitary officer {well somebody had to do it!} with the 51st and 17th Northern division, soft copy but in very good condition, only seen this book once before {author James McQueen}

I would like to know if I am permitted to list myself amongst the rare book collectors. What are the criteria to oh distinguished ones?

simply list thee's mighty tomes for judgement by the assembled connoisseurs...

you have to spend more money than is sensible and then as mentioned in the above post offer your purchases up for discussion amongst the other wayward collectors!

Any extra members joining our distinguished band are most welcome, David. As a reviewer of note, I suspect you get most of your books gratis, so you should have loads of cash available to buy the rare ones!

To kind DJC, or may I call you dusty? Review copies are a boon, it's actually surprising how few I keep. Many are passed on through my WFA branch as peripheral to my main interests, because they are poor - in my opinion - or add little to the collection. Barky, certainly I spend more than is sensible - as I do on my collection of busts of Great War figures. As you may be aware I am stuck in Majorca with sick son and away from books. I need to eyeball the shelves for suitable offers for qualification. The collection of English translations of German novels, personal accounts In all formats and conditions - from paperback to d jacketed bought as available, for many are v. hard and have been tracked down all over the world. Collection now runs to over 120 and include all five of the Zweig novels in the sequence which includes the magisterial Education Before Verdun. My longest search is for Bibi Mikuba - spelling a Majorca guess - by the wife of the German Governor of East Africa. Ten years and still not find and I know there has been a reprint in the last 30 pr so years. Best buy is the full set of the official history of the war in the air. Ex library, but for £35 from the 'Bridport junk quarter". The bounder wanted £50 for it but a sharp intake of breath and a smile got an "Oh all right then". Particular love is books annotated by 'I was there' soldiers

So please may I join your gang.

Filling in time a lot in and out of hospital with son, the Forum has been a terrific help with the boredom and concern. Great thread this.

very pleased to have found a copy of "Our War" self published 1931? story of a sanitary officer {well somebody had to do it!} with the 51st and 17th Northern division, soft copy but in very good condition, only seen this book once before {author James McQueen}

Good buy, John, a new one to me. I'm now having visions of your officer arriving at newly excavated dug-outs with a briefcase full of brochures of sanitary-ware prior to fitting the en-suites!

Welcome David. The purchase of the War in the Air set certainly qualifies you as a member, although one of our number may not be too impressed by its ex-library origins - there may have to be an emergency committee meeting! By the way, what are the additional Grisha novels. I was only aware of Grisha, Young Woman & Education.

I do hope your son's condition improves & that you have some good books with you.

an alternative title for this book could have been {as advertised on the side of local "contractors" vehicle } "you dump we pump"

Good buy, John, a new one to me. I'm now having visions of your officer arriving at newly excavated dug-outs with a briefcase full of brochures of sanitary-ware prior to fitting the en-suites!

Welcome David. The purchase of the War in the Air set certainly qualifies you as a member, although one of our number may not be too impressed by its ex-library origins - there may have to be an emergency committee meeting! By the way, what are the additional Grisha novels. I was only aware of Grisha, Young Woman & Education.

I do hope your son's condition improves & that you have some good books with you.

Good god! Somebody will join next who has as passion for only ex library copies. What marks you out as member is the ability to pick a book off the self and say the time an place and cost, and "oh so wonderful", - for some volumes. Whats also very important is an interest in the historiography of writing. I have a shelf or two of bibliographies and books on writing books about the great war, my latest purchase was Historical Dreadnoughts, about Marder and Roskill, very good!

Barky et al. Will email you when I get home and access to books. I wrote a piece about the sequence - would you like a copy. If so let me have your email address. Yes ex library is a troubling one. But had I left them in the junk quarterdeck they may have fallen into the wrong hands. It's the smell, the feel, the hunt whicch are so good and that strange feeling I get when a second hand bookshop that there's something there. So often there is. Will list other treasures. I have just finished Horne's Verdun having just reviewed Jankowskis awful new book. By god Horne can write. I am thinking of doing are Jew on the book on the forum just to remind people how good it is. Now reading junk in prep for John Dos Passos USA an old favourite. Son better, just waiting for the tunnel of health to be completed to make our break. Maybe Saturday.

Regardezez David

Larkin was right with "News Eyes Each Year"

I am not a book collector, but I seem to accumulate them. I don't really care about condition, whether it has library stamps or whatever. I buy them to read, or to keep as reference and not as an investment. Never go hunting (certainly not now the second-hand bookshop has all but died out)but occasionally I come across things. Or Mrs B does, which is nice. Here are the three I think are the ones of greatest scarcity that I have.

W. V. Tilsley's "Other ranks". £1 from a charity shop, maybe 15 years ago.

A. B. Beauman's "Then a soldier". Same.

"The standard history of the war" by Edgar Wallace, four little volumes published by George Newnes. A Mrs B find in an Oxfam maybe five years ago. Again, a quid the lot. As I understand it Volume 1 can be found but as a whole set it is pretty scarce.

"The standard history of the war" by Edgar Wallace, four little volumes published by George Newnes. A Mrs B find in an Oxfam maybe five years ago. Again, a quid the lot. As I understand it Volume 1 can be found but as a whole set it is pretty scarce.

They've just been reissued in paperback, and are available as Kindle e-books - which is another nail in the second-hand bookshop business

"Other ranks" much sort after!

"Other ranks" much sort after!

A rather tatty jacketless copy can be yours for £328 on ABE - ex-library to boot.

Makes my spare copy I sold for £210 look quite cheap.

there was a copy in a D/W on the net for months 200.00 I didn't dare and therefore didn't win!

there was a copy in a D/W on the net for months 200.00 I didn't dare and therefore didn't win!

I think I paid £85 for a jacketed copy from John Marrin at the Chelsea Bookfair, must be 6 or 7 years ago. Quite cheap for him!

My monicker comes from the very book you discuss! About fifteen years ago I had the pleasure to hunt through the warehouse of the big book shop in Western Ireland. After a couple of hours of searching through piles of boxes I took my finds to the supervisor. He said,' that'll be £4 for the liitle 'uns and £8 for the big 'uns!' One of the little 'uns was a fine copy of 'Other Ranks'. Its one of my favourites to read, very atmospheric.

History of the 9th Bhopal Infantry. A post 1918 private printing for officers of the regiment.

I have a copy :hypocrite:

I love indian regimental histories usually printed in very small numbers with some brilliant information and details of a time long since passed!

Not a mega scarce book but very interesting as there are often questions asked regarding the opening stages of the war.."Movements and Supply of the German First Army during August and September 1914" printed 1929

I expect my fellow collectors ( all 3 or 4 of us) will already have an original copy of Q6a and other places of 1916,1917 & 1918, so if there is anyone out there who is interested,

I have just noticed a copy has appeared on e-bay for £65 (buy now).

I expect my fellow collectors ( all 3 or 4 of us) will already have an original copy of Q6a and other places of 1916,1917 & 1918, so if there is anyone out there who is interested,

I have just noticed a copy has appeared on e-bay for £65 (buy now).

Thanks BM. Dammit! That's less than half what I paid for mine, & it's signed! Hope it finds a good home.

Thanks BM. Dammit! That's less than half what I paid for mine, & it's signed! Hope it finds a good home.

Quite, I think I paid £125 for mine, having years before seen a copy at the N&M Tunbridge Wells book fair for £145, and i regretted not buying it as soon as I got home.