Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rarest book?

Audax

Interesting, sounds like an unsigned one is going to be rarer than signed, as is often the case with these books :thumbsup:

I've seen about ten copies for sale (maybe less) over the years but only one has been signed.

My copy was acquired a few years ago and, while the dust-jacket is substantially intact, unfortunately a previous owner thought it would be a good idea to back the missing areas with white tape, which I don't think can be removed without further damaging the jacket.

On the subject of rarest books, I recently (and finally) got round to reading George Hill's "Go Spy the Land". This is fairly scarce but I enjoyed it so much I then sought a copy of the sequel, "Dreaded Hour" and found one with an inscription on the title page from Hill to "R. B. L". and the note "Moscow 1918 - London 1936". "R. B. L" is, I'm sure, Robin Bruce Lockhart.

post-110514-0-08114600-1428047110_thumb.

post-110514-0-89295200-1428047110_thumb.

post-110514-0-36076000-1428047112_thumb.

Thanks for sharing that, Resurgam. It's interesting to see the list of books on the rear of the jacket - he seems to have been a nomad all over the place!

Welcome Resurgarm13, nice copy. Have you any other gems you wish to share with us? Are you a collector, please introduce yourself.

many many years ago in a dealers cat. i saw some notes/original photographs etc, author "Ben Asher" link had not been appreciated!

Thanks for sharing that, Resurgam. It's interesting to see the list of books on the rear of the jacket - he seems to have been a nomad all over the place!

I've noticed that, like H.Drummond Gauld ,his non-WW1 books are a lot more numerous than his war book.

I've noticed that, like H.Drummond Gauld ,his non-WW1 books are a lot more numerous than his war book.

Indeed. Sidney Rogerson is a similar case with his various nature books.

I once found a contemporary review of the book (below) and believe that “Ben Assher” was the pseudonym of Major Colin Borradaile, M.C., R.G.A.

“A Nomad Under Arms gives an account of the War from a point of view hitherto little touched on. The author, who had held a commission for only one year at the outbreak of hostilities, served with a 4.7-in. and a 6-in. howitzer battery, but mainly with 6o-pounder batteries, obtaining command of one in March, 1918. After being in the Ypres Salient he was in action right through the Battle of the Somme; was wounded . . . in February, 1917, but returned in time for Passchendaele. He was in artillery reserve on March 21st, 1918, but was soon in the line with his battery, and went on till Germany was reached, when he broke down in health. Dissociating himself from the "raw sensationalists who write on modern battle" by hiding under a pseudonym, he states that he had—and substantiates his claim—a splendid zest in his profession and an interest in the daily life; in fact, enjoyed the War. He has certainly given us a splendid tale of the life of a heavy gunner, with a company of living actors in it, in the persons of the officers—Regular or temporary—and men with whom he came in contact. The serious side of artillery matters is not overlooked: the bad ammunition supplied in the early days of the Ministry of Munitions — driving bands which came off so that shells "wobbled" and dropped in and behind the British trenches ; the new type of cartridge which hung fire ; shortage of firing "tubes"; and a tale of woe due to inferior material being used in the manufacture of guns and carriage parts . . .”

Hello MartH,

My interest in the Great War stemmed from watching the ANZAC Day parades throught the streets of Syndey as a child in the 1960s, and I began collecting in the 1970s.

I came to London in 1982 to research what eventually became the "Straits Trilogy", originally published by the University of Hull Press but now freely available to read online:

Volume I: Superior Force : the conspiracy behind the escape of Goeben and Breslau
Volume II: Straits : British Policy towards the Ottoman Empire and the Origins of the Dardanelles Campaign
Volume III: The Millstone : British Naval Policy in the Mediterranean, 1900-1914, the Commitment to France and British Intervention in the War

The whole exercise took over ten years during which I acquired a large collection of books on the subjects above, with many duplicates which I started to sell after the "Straits Trilogy" failed to make my fortune. I suppose that makes me a dealer/collector or, more correctly, a collector/dealer as I would still rather buy than sell.

Hello MartH,

My interest in the Great War stemmed from watching the ANZAC Day parades throught the streets of Syndey as a child in the 1960s, and I began collecting in the 1970s.

I came to London in 1982 to research what eventually became the "Straits Trilogy", originally published by the University of Hull Press but now freely available to read online:

Volume I: Superior Force : the conspiracy behind the escape of Goeben and Breslau

Volume II: Straits : British Policy towards the Ottoman Empire and the Origins of the Dardanelles Campaign

Volume III: The Millstone : British Naval Policy in the Mediterranean, 1900-1914, the Commitment to France and British Intervention in the War

The whole exercise took over ten years during which I acquired a large collection of books on the subjects above, with many duplicates which I started to sell after the "Straits Trilogy" failed to make my fortune. I suppose that makes me a dealer/collector or, more correctly, a collector/dealer as I would still rather buy than sell.

Yes, welcome again, your works have fine biographies. I have a question, what was the quality of the of the translations of the Der Krieg Zur See 1914-1918; Der Krieg in den Türkischen Gewässern in the Naval historical Library like? Are they good enough to be issued online or as a printed book?

• 2 weeks later...

I was pleased today to receive a 1930 copy of Arthur Lambert's memoir 'Over the Top ', which is a scarce, though not a rare book. What made it rare was that it still had it's

original jacket and I have never seen one for sale before and what pleased me most , apart from the price , was the fact that it is one of my favourite jackets.

I was pleased today to receive a 1930 copy of Arthur Lambert's memoir 'Over the Top ', which is a scarce, though not a rare book. What made it rare was that it still had it's

original jacket and I have never seen one for sale before and what pleased me most , apart from the price , was the fact that it is one of my favourite jackets.

Excellent find. It's certainly a fine memoir with a superb image on the jacket. My copy is only the second impression and the jacket is in a rather poor state.

I also managed to find a rare one this week - Patrick Macgill's 'Fear' in it's striking jacket. Macgill's books seem to have been quite popular during & just after the War but the only ones that ever turn up in jackets are 'The Amateur Army' & his poetry collection 'Soldier Songs'. If I say here that I've never seen the UK edition of 'The Red Horizon' in its jacket then I'm confident a picture of same will appear here shortly!

Excellent find. It's certainly a fine memoir with a superb image on the jacket. My copy is only the second impression and the jacket is in a rather poor state.

I also managed to find a rare one this week - Patrick Macgill's 'Fear' in it's striking jacket. Macgill's books seem to have been quite popular during & just after the War but the only ones that ever turn up in jackets are 'The Amateur Army' & his poetry collection 'Soldier Songs'. If I say here that I've never seen the UK edition of 'The Red Horizon' in its jacket then I'm confident a picture of same will appear here shortly!

Well done on your purchase, that is a rare find. My copy of Lambert's book is a Third Impression but the jacket is in quite good condition although it's quite flimsy , that's why

I suppose not many jacketed copies have survived. I mentioned it's one of my favourite jackets but I would never have known that unless I had seen it on your web site, maybe

we should start a new thread entitled ' My top ten Great War dust jackets' , although I expect we may be the only two contributors !

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I was successful in adding a very rare 6th Marine Regiment history to my library.

post-121135-0-64624600-1429842653_thumb.

A recent purchase & a very scarce book in general, but in a jacket!!

post-35362-0-72300600-1429862220_thumb.j

Although not privately printed or printed for private circulation i was very pleased to find an original copy of "Letters from France" by A J Sansom the first i have ever seen, these letters are from June 1915-July 1917 when he was killed at Arras whilst commanding the 7th battalion Sussex regiment, 383 pages unfortunately not D/W but you cannot have everything in life!

Thought I'd just complete my list of books from Lengel's bibliography which are new to me and which I can't find on sale. They are:-

Noel Irwin - Infantry Officer. 1943

Gerald Knight - Brother Bosch. 1919

Hugh Latymer - Chances & Changes. 1931

James Lawson - A Cameronian Officer. 1921

Walter Noble - With a Bristol Fighter Squadron. 1920

L.F.R. - Naval Guns in Flanders. 1920

Henry Reynardson - Mesopotamia 1914-15. 1919

A.B.Scott - Artillery & Trench Mortar Memories. 1932

H.Raymond Smith - A Soldier Diary. 1940

Edward Thompson - Leicestershires beyond Baghdad. 1919

Please feel free to send me any unwanted copies of the above!

Hello Alan

With regards to 'Infantry Officer' by Irwin I believe that Lengel has the date wrong. I have a copy of this and it was published sometime in late 60's-early 70's. Where the confusion may have arisen is that his son Anthony Irwin wrote a title published by Batsford -infantry officer-in '43. It was one of a set of three titles the others being, Sub-Lieut. and Fighter Pilot all of which you have probably come across in you wanderings. I may be wrong but it seems a bit of a coincidence!

Regards

HQ

Thanks, HQ. Lengel clearly got it wrong. There seems to be confusion everywhere. Amazon list both titles as being published in 1942, whereas the British Library says 1995 for Noel's book. Clearly I must find a copy.

Hello Barkalot

I've been trying to buy a copy of the Sansom book. I don't suppose you know where another might be?

Mike

well a bit like bus`s you wait for years to see one then...... i found one on the net, and Dust jacket collector found one as well, it is not privately printed etc but seems to be very scarce this was the first original i had seen in twenty years?

well a bit like bus`s you wait for years to see one then...... i found one on the net, and Dust jacket collector found one as well, it is not privately printed etc but seems to be very scarce this was the first original i had seen in twenty years?

I've not seen it for sale on the open market, I had to prize my copy away from another collector. I suspect, owing to its scarcity, that it was effectively privately printed. It seems that quite often regular publishers undertook the printing of Memorial volumes alongside their normal business. Blackwells in Oxford often did that for volumes of poetry that might otherwise have had a rather limited market.

I have just picked up a book in my local Oxfam shop. I can't find a copy for sale anywhere. It is listed in Enser however. It is titled 'A Leader Of Men' about Major S. Harold Baker, by James Baker.Ithink it was printed in the early 1920's. Is it rare, anyone seen one or got one?

Cheers

Grant

I have just picked up a book in my local Oxfam shop. I can't find a copy for sale anywhere. It is listed in Enser however. It is titled 'A Leader Of Men' about Major S. Harold Baker, by James Baker.Ithink it was printed in the early 1920's. Is it rare, anyone seen one or got one?

Not one I've come across before. Who published it? Is it a memorial volume?

Hi Alan,

printed by The Bodly Head, 1920.big book 359 pages.

Grant