Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rarest book?

Audax

There is a copy for sale on Amazon for a mere £150.

water damaged ? needs a rebind

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to it.

Thanks for posting the image, Ken. For completion here's the UK edition, published by Constable in 1929. At least here you can see the whole picture.

post-35362-0-30358800-1456938677_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

post-112046-0-72324100-1457824088_thumb.

To my knowledge only three are still in existence. IWM, City of Plymouth Museum and there is or was one for sale on a rare books website. The one at Plymouth was donated by me because of its historic importance containing history of Collingwoods from Antwerp to 3rd Battle of Kritia, biographies and photos of all its officers, group photos off NCOs and Companies plus personal information (addresses, wether KIA or wounded and which Battalion they transferred to after 4th June 1915) of all 600 men.

There's a copy of the above book by Lt.Geary, published by Pearson in 1917, on ABE at the moment for £225.

There's a copy of the above book by Lt.Geary, published by Pearson in 1917, on ABE at the moment for £225.

That's the one I'm referring to Dusty.

That's the one I'm referring to Dusty.

I see that now. When I first saw your post there didn't seem to be any text with the picture. Probably a technical glitch associated with my 'upgrading' that same day to Windows 10!

This might test the definition of rarity in that the book is quite common but the jacket is virtually unknown.

The Baroness de la Grange's 'Open House in Flanders' which is her war-time diary of the comings & goings at her Chateau in Flanders. Most of the great & the good seem to have stayed there at some point, doubtless a not uncomfortable billet, including the subject of another recent topic on this forum, General Joly de Lotbiniere.

post-35362-0-59802100-1458494416_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

THE PALS AT SUVLA BAY by Henry Hanna.

Being the Record of "D" Company of the 7th Royal Dublin Fusiliers. With a Foreword by Lieu.General Sir Bryan T. Mahon.

Published: Dublin: E. Ponsonby Ltd., 1917

How rare is this book and did it originally come with a dust jacket?

Yes it came with a plain text jacket (you can see it on my website below). It's not particularly scarce, although you wouldn't think so judging by the silly prices being asked on ABE.

Yes it came with a plain text jacket (you can see it on my website below). It's not particularly scarce, although you wouldn't think so judging by the silly prices being asked on ABE.

Thank you.

Here's a piece of the Official History that rarely seems to turn up. It appears that 500 copies were printed in 1921 but I'd be very surprised if they sold more than a fraction of those. They probably ended up in Public Libraries which is where this copy originated. I'm sorry people of Norwich but your library has flogged off more of your heritage!

post-35362-0-97208600-1459585192_thumb.j

As the they did an original set of the official history of the Great war hence I now have my own, re the the above mine also came from a public library disgraceful really!

This book has been mentioned ( # 165) but I have been looking for a copy since I put together my first wants list in 2002, and this week I've finally found one.

post-52745-0-91621700-1459947782_thumb.j

Well done. Surprisingly scarce for a book published in 1965. I think Stockwell were a sort of vanity publisher so maybe they only published as many copies as you could pay for.

Well done. Surprisingly scarce for a book published in 1965. I think Stockwell were a sort of vanity publisher so maybe they only published as many copies as you could pay for.

Yes, it would be interesting to know how many copies of this book they did print , I've only seen an x-lib copy for sale since 2002 and that was snapped up straight

away.

• 3 weeks later...

Would anyone happen to know the identity of the Author of "Extracts from the Diary of a Subaltern serving with the 2nd Battalion, The Royal Scots, November, 1915 to April 1917"?

Many thanks.

William March's novel 'Company K', Gollancz 1933, has been described as the greatest work of literature to have come out of America's effort in the War. Not well received in the States at the time it's based on the author's experiences with the US Marines. The author wrote under a pseudonym, his real name being William Campbell. Strangely the author's name is given correctly as 'March' on the title page but on the jacket is misspelled as 'Marsh'. I wonder if this may account for its scarcity in the jacket? Maybe Gollancz spotted the mistake but couldn't be bothered to change it so just discarded the jacket. This copy, the only one I've ever seen, comes from the publishers archive. Unusually the dealer also has a second copy for sale.

post-35362-0-70868200-1461772911_thumb.j

William March's novel 'Company K', Gollancz 1933, has been described as the greatest work of literature to have come out of America's effort in the War. Not well received in the States at the time it's based on the author's experiences with the US Marines. The author wrote under a pseudonym, his real name being William Campbell. Strangely the author's name is given correctly as 'March' on the title page but on the jacket is misspelled as 'Marsh'. I wonder if this may account for its scarcity in the jacket? Maybe Gollancz spotted the mistake but couldn't be bothered to change it so just discarded the jacket. This copy, the only one I've ever seen, comes from the publishers archive. Unusually the dealer also has a second copy for sale.

attachicon.gifcompany K UK.jpg

Lovely!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one that might appeal to those with an interest in the RFC. 'Short Flights with the Cloud Cavalry' was published by Hodder in 1918. I've seen it occasionally but never in the jacket. It's a series of stories about an Observation Squadron over the Western Front. Noffsinger says it's good for background atmosphere but of little factual importance. Damned with faint praise, I fear. If anyone knows who 'Spin' might have been I'd be pleased to know. Can't find 'owt on the net.(apologies for the amateurish attempt to improve the missing top right corner with Photoshop!)

post-35362-0-33352400-1462800117_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased this book a few days ago, the book itself is not that rare , indeed at the moment there are about half a dozen for sale.

However to find a copy in it's jacket is very rare, the last and only copy in it's jacket that I had seen was way back in January 2004

in a Tom Donovan catalogue. The book was published by Peter Davies in 1935.

post-52745-0-98116100-1464984271_thumb.j

A brilliant buy, John. That's been on my wants list for many a year. A rare survivor. Is it the same copy, do you think, as the Turner Donovan one?

A brilliant buy, John. That's been on my wants list for many a year. A rare survivor. Is it the same copy, do you think, as the Turner Donovan one?

Thanks Alan, no it's a different one. Apparently the jacket had been folded and stored inside the book, although it does show signs of wear,

so I guess it had been on the book at some point over the years, the Donovan copy was also signed. For a post 1929 memoir there do seem

to be a lot of copies around at the moment, it's just the jacketed copies that appear to be a rarity. The jacket itself is of quite robust construction,

so I guess it was the usual case of it being discarded after purchase.