Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Audax

Rarest book?

Dust Jacket Collector
2 hours ago, barkalotloudly said:

I was just getting ready to come down with my cheque book!! lol!

My wife would probably welcome you with open arms assuming she hadn’t already chucked all the books into a skip.

barkalotloudly

it is a such a shame that the dealers who fuelled my interest in the Great War are all departing this world, no internet in those days, a frantic scrabble when the catalouge dropped on the mat 

Dave G

Peter put several children through university and lived a good life by selling books. Hard to imagine that being possible given the current state of books, though 70 of 100 books apparently sold in less than 24 hour on Turner Donovan's latest catalog. I suspect a relative few of us keep the WWI book sales competitive in the scheme of things. I still have a copy of the Boer War books bibliography, a beautiful work. 

barkalotloudly
2 hours ago, Dave G said:

Peter put several children through university and lived a good life by selling books. Hard to imagine that being possible given the current state of books, though 70 of 100 books apparently sold in less than 24 hour on Turner Donovan's latest catalog. I suspect a relative few of us keep the WWI book sales competitive in the scheme of things. I still have a copy of the Boer War books bibliography, a beautiful work. 

yes i must confess to making a couple of purchases quality will always sell 

Dust Jacket Collector
2 hours ago, barkalotloudly said:

yes i must confess to making a couple of purchases quality will always sell 

3 are on their way to me.

Dave G

Alan, what's it like collecting books from the grave? Does Tom offer discounts to the choir invisible?

Dust Jacket Collector
2 hours ago, Dave G said:

Alan, what's it like collecting books from the grave? Does Tom offer discounts to the choir invisible?

I hope to find out one day as it’ll take several lifetimes to get all the books I’m looking for.

I don’t think Tom offers discounts even for the recently undeparted.

MartH
19 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

He does but sometime has trouble delivering since they self combust.

voltaire60
55 minutes ago, MartH said:

He does but sometime has trouble delivering since they self combust.

Halo overheated ?

barkalotloudly

a very enduring thread going back over 13 years i was wondering how did everybody get one chasing their "holy grail" of rare books  over the years and what are your current aspirations? from my own the passing years have allowed me to collect most of what i sought but of course these these have been replaced by further items

Kingsley Darling

Military operations Persia 

Sketches made at Gallipoli

various Indian army histories

and last of all, books i did not know existed!

Black Maria

I've still got a few to find and it's always a big moment when you find the book you've been searching years for and never thought you would ever see for sale.

One such book was in the last T.D catalogue ( the Jenkin's Tank memoir ) which ranks alongside the likes of 'Devil in the Drum' and 'Letter from France' for me

as the most elusive.

barkalotloudly
9 minutes ago, Black Maria said:

I've still got a few to find and it's always a big moment when you find the book you've been searching years for and never thought you would ever see for sale.

One such book was in the last T.D catalogue ( the Jenkin's Tank memoir ) which ranks alongside the likes of 'Devil in the Drum' and 'Letter from France' for me

as the most elusive.

letters from france chapman? if so seemed to have seen that a couple of times over the last few years

Devil in the drum only once and that i purchased . looked for "soldiers luck" for years until DJ pointed me in the direction of a copy although only printed in 1965 as is "War memoirs" by Davson {very very rarely  seen } 100 copies only i think ?

Black Maria
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, barkalotloudly said:

letters from france chapman? if so seemed to have seen that a couple of times over the last few years

Devil in the drum only once and that i purchased . looked for "soldiers luck" for years until DJ pointed me in the direction of a copy although only printed in 1965 as is "War memoirs" by Davson {very very rarely  seen } 100 copies only i think ?

It was the one by Sansom , first saw it mentioned in the 'Nation in Arms' bibliography and it was in my first wants list that I compiled in 2002 . It took me until

2017 to find a copy , i also searched for 'Soldier's Luck' for fifteen or so years until I found one . The Davson was on my list for years and I still remember the

feeling of disappointment when I visited the Military Parade Bookshop and he told me he had recently sold a copy to Tom Donovan ( It sold quickly ! )

Edited by Black Maria

Dust Jacket Collector

I suppose over the years most of the gaps from 13 years ago have been filled. Those remaining are either too expensive - Military Ops. Persia, Owen’s Poems in jacket, H.Q. Tanks - or inexplicably elusive - Order of Battle of Divisions part 3a or Thomson’s Four Months in Italy in Wartime ( to complete my set of Bodley Head’s ‘On Active Service Series’.

Being greedy and wanting books in their jackets there are a few I’ve never seen in some 40 years of collecting :-

Malins ‘How I filmed the War’

Asher’s ‘Nomad under Arms’

Macgill’s ‘Red Horizon’ & Sapper’s ‘The Human Touch’.

The great thing about collecting is the expectation - they might all turn up tomorrow!

emilyquirq

Hi, I just finished to read Robert Greene's textbook and it's amazing. It's something I really happy to find, because it's not familiar to any war book I have reed previously. Highly recommend you to read it.