Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rarest book?

Audax

Woof-   do you have details of the missing book-ordred through what system-Amazon?Abe?Alibris?    Had you paid for it?

this has happened on 2/3 occasions no problem with money however i would suggest the seller decided he wanted more money for the book!!!! one particular new york seller did not respond to 6 or so emails regarding the availability of a book and then re-listed at about 4 times the original price his loss as i now avoid him like the end of a *****y stick

39 minutes ago, barkalotloudly said:

this has happened on 2/3 occasions no problem with money however i would suggest the seller decided he wanted more money for the book!!!! one particular new york seller did not respond to 6 or so emails regarding the availability of a book and then re-listed at about 4 times the original price his loss as i now avoid him like the end of a *****y stick

A small but irritating problem with Tinternet is "relisters"- those who "price gouge"-that is,trawl through the listing of a bookseller on one system, and re-list his stock under their own name on another (where the original lister does not list). They usually vastly increase the price but re-list books that are unique to that system. When they have an order, they then order it from the original lister . A pain- the original bookseller is sending out to a third party (which should not be allowed- address on card etc.)

The most common in this country is booksellers who list on ABE and find their entries relisted on Amazon.  Names to avoid are any seller e-mail address with "milde" in it (Mr.David Milde, a pain of a relister) and Mersea Books, formerly thought to be Southend Books and DVD.. 

If in doubt when looking for a book on Tinternet, then look for it on www.bookfinder.com, which is a consoldiation search engine-then on Amazon.co.uk. (not on Bookfinder)-You can soon spot a relister simply by the multipication of the prices!!

Mersea books, listing on Amazon, even relist books from the same site. The markup is usually around 3 fold. I can't believe anyone would be dumb enough to fall for such a scam.

Edited by Dust Jacket Collector
Misspelling

23 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Mersea books, listing on Amazon, even relist books from the same site. The markup is usually around 3 fold. I can't believe anyone would be dumb enough to fall for such a scam.

But Amazon then get 3 x the commission. It irritates me, though largely retired,because a relister will order the book off me on ABE, shipped to a customer who has ordered it on Amazon- say,in the US-and the Amazon customer then expects it to arrive in Amazon time-even though I.as a UK seller, have performed within all UK ABE time limits.

I cannot order books off Amazon or ABE personally if my delivery address is different to my bank car address- it will be refused-so it suggests connivance by ABE,Amazon at least  

having had a "lovers tiff" with ABE  I approach the seller direct and can usually get a discount! good old paypal!! 

15 minutes ago, barkalotloudly said:

having had a "lovers tiff" with ABE  I approach the seller direct and can usually get a discount! good old paypal!! 

I agree. The Sorley was on Amazon but I contacted the seller direct and got a good discount. ( barkalot : if you reply to this you'll hit the magic 1000 - no promotion in rank though).

• 2 years later...

This came today from the US. A super copy with a great jacket for DJC.

scan0001.jpg

Lovely jacket, Other Ranker. I do have it but my copy rather looks as if it was shot down in flames at some point!

Does anyone know  the name of  "Spin", the  author of  the above book,  Short Flights With the Cloud Cavalry?

Cheers

Maureen

As an aside, an interesting listing for it: " This book, 'Short flights with the cloud cavalry', by Spin, is a replication of a book originally published before 1918. It has been restored by human beings, page by page, so that you may enjoy it in a form as close to the original as possible."

Moonraker

Hello Maureen,

The Author was Lieutenant G. E. Thomson, the Records Officer of 46 Squadron, Royal Flying Corps , who dedicated the book to his Commanding Officer, Philip Babington* (“Pip Beer” on the Dedication Page).

Kind regards,

Geoffrey

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, quarterbloke said:

Went to Peter de Lotz's funeral in Hampstead Parish Church yesterday. The absolute sweetest of men

Could you tell us more?   As a bookseller, the casualties usually get known pretty quick but Peter has not been "on the grapevine" from anyone.

Very nice man-Had not seen him for years-When he retired from bookselling, it was more or less a clean break.   Always in a good mood- even when talking of being hassled by the taxman (I add, for no good reason-Peter was very honest)-he was always cheerful when others would have been in a straightjacket.

1 hour ago, quarterbloke said:

Went to Peter de Lotz's funeral in Hampstead Parish Church yesterday. The absolute sweetest of men

Another person who wore his knowledge of great war books lightly, and was a lovely person. Do we need to start of book-dealers and book collectors sadly missed.

As a collector of Gt War rarities through the 80s & 90s I visited 20 Downside Crescent almost non-stop. When I left London & set up in trade here in Devon, Peter was an enormous help to me. I remember him saying that people go to bookfairs to buy books (now, in itself, questionable) but they go into bookshops to talk about their medical problems. Perhaps dealing from home helped to keep him sane. In 1998 he said to me "Hell's teeth, Q-bloke, I just want to sit with my rod beside a stream in France" (where he had a little place), and altho' afterwards I saw him around from time to time, that, in fact, is pretty much what he did - tho' he had much else in his life to occupy him. In 2001 he put around 6000 mil bks into my shop on a 50:50 basis. Graham Palmer did the same, tho slightly fewer bks and with slightly less success. Meanwhile my collection - acquired from, amongst others, PdL, Turner Donovan, World War Bks, Palladour Bks, Tony Tiffin (v occasionally!), Ulysses, Charlotte Robinson, Marrin's etc - was sold lock, stock & B to my bro-in-law and at that time many dw pics from the collection were uploaded onto the late Alan Hewer's wonderful WW1 dust jacket site. Anyhow, Peter visited us often in Devon and we drunk deeply and fed like the Gadarene in a handful of favourite country pubs. His view of the world was so wry, adroit and decent; he was an amusing guy - all the more so with a beer in front of him - particularly when talking about people we knew in the bk trade (tho' he was incapable of calumny, or anything like it). His wife, Jen, informed me of his onset dementia a couple of years ago (Who could ever imagine PdL confused?).Anyhow, he died on the 1st of May 2019. Judging by the turnout & tributes at St John's Hampstead & afterwards at Primrose Hill, I wasn't the only one that felt v strongly abt PdL.

quarterbloke- Thanks for filling me in a little more. Peter was  a regular visitor to my scruffy old shop (where we deliberately did not put military books-they got nicked more than any other subject). Always affable and knowledgeable.  I spoke to another colleague yesterday-in a closely related field- who said Peter's funeral was very well attended but that dementia had been (as it always is) a terrible loss over the past year or so.  Peter jumped ship at exactly the right time-though coincidentally-just as Tinternet was taking off. Peter  was  the prophet of his own view of bookshops- his conversation was never medical problems in my shop  but always cheerful. In work terms, he was a happy bunny going round a selection of London bookshops-when there were still some to go around. He was an effective salesman of Ron Hackett's Boer War bibliography and manys the time I was asked if I could use a few more copies (though it sold very well).

Peter never spoke ill of  anyone (though close to it re Inland Revenue- I think he learned bookkeeping as an army clerk on National Service)- For a bookseller not to put the knife into his professional kith and kin made him unusual indeed.

On 08/06/2019 at 19:02, MartH said:

Another person who wore his knowledge of great war books lightly, and was a lovely person. Do we need to start of book-dealers and book collectors sadly missed.

Anyone recall the very droll Drif's Guides to book shops and dealers, published in the 1980's?

I did have a couple of copies, think that they were published on a semi annual basis....

There were many more bookshops then, and no Internet!

Mike.

Yes-very much so.  Not only the Guides, he did a newsletter (or rather defamation letter) for a while also. Good at hitting the right targets.  More effective at bringing down an over-inflated ego than a tracer round against a barrage balloon.

Circumstances worked against Drif (he hints darkly) and he disappeared for quite a while.....though the reports of his quite recent trial in "Ham and High" are interesting. Still see him around occasionally but he is just another OAP now-living in Acton/Ealing.

2 hours ago, quarterbloke said:

.......at that time many dw pics from the collection were uploaded onto the late Alan Hewer's wonderful WW1 dust jacket site.

Might I just point out that reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated!

1 hour ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

:lol:

On 08/06/2019 at 17:08, quarterbloke said:

another one of my old contacts gone many good purchases from him R I P 

2 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

I was just getting ready to come down with my cheque book!! lol!

3 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

My apologies, DJ Collector. That must be how Robert Graves felt. My informant has been given a bottle of Scotch & a Webley - I trust he knows the form