Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

National Roll of The Great War

susanhemmings

Alan and Stu, will look later tonight.

susan.

Hi Susan,

Could you please look up the following for me.

Pte Edward Thomas Morley,1st/4th London Regiment,of East Dulwich in South London.

Pte Ernest Reginald Clifford,2nd London Regiment,of South London.

Capt Daniel Edgar Hickey,Tank Corps,of Hampstead in North London.

Many thanks.

Stuart

Stu,

Re Ernest Clifford and Daniel Hickey - nothing for them.

However, regarding Edward Thomas Morley - entry found in Volume 13 (london) page 306 as follows:

MORLEY E T Pte 1st London Regiment (Royal Fus)

Joining in October 1917 he embarked in February of the following year for France and during the retreat of 1918 was taken prisoner. Whilst in captivity he contracted fever of which he died on November 29th 1918. Buried in Germany and was entitled to General Service and Victory medals.

"A costly sacrifice upon the altar of freedom"

34 Silvester Road, East Dulwich SE22

Hope this is of interestl. Have you looked at CWG site to see where in Germany he is buried?

I am SO relieved to have found someone ......

Susan

I'm not having much luck in finding my (deceased) father's service details, and I am hoping that there may be an entry in the Index for him, so I can at least narrow down the "possibles".

The MIC's have 13 or more soldiers with my Dad's first and family name, and what's worse he quite often used his second given name (Henry), rather than his first name, (James) because his Dad's Christian name was James also.

Anyway the details are:

James Henry HART

Born 25 January 1895

Born in Ramsgate in Kent but living probably in Hackney area pre-war and in 1918 he is on the electoral roll at 10 Banister Street, Homerton (S.Hackney) as an absent voter serving in the forces. He did get shrapnel in his leg, and was in hospital for some time, but lived until 1968 (73 years old) so it was not a life threatening wound.

I would assume he would not have travelled too far away from his residential area of Hackney to enlist, so I am guessing again, that he would have enlisted in a London recruitment office, so its going to be a London or National regiment.

Any help most gratefully received.

Alan A Hart

Alan, Cannot find anything for this chap either JH Hart or HJ Hart - will look on ancestry tonight to see if I can find any address in 1901 census. Will also have a look in any other places that i can think of....

susan.

Alan, Cannot find anything for this chap either JH Hart or HJ Hart - will look on ancestry tonight to see if I can find any address in 1901 census. Will also have a look in any other places that i can think of....

susan.

Susan

I know where he was in the 1901 already. He was at 16 Rosina Street in Homerton with his parents and younger brother. It's his military service I can't trace.

As I said in my earlier post, the 1918 electoral roll for Hackney South shows him as being an "absent" voter for 10 Banister Street Hackney (which was also his address when he got married in 1933) and "NM" Naval / Military personnel. There is no surviving copy of the Hackney South AVL unfortunately, either at the British Library, Hackney Archives or at the LMA.

My older brother says he remembers him talking about serving alongside the Aussies at Gallipoli. He told me that he was wounded as I mentioned earlier. Pre WW1 he was in the merchant navy (to / from South America on the guano ships). My understanding is that he was in the army during the war.

Thanks for your help

Alan

susan.

see attachment (i hope) 1901 - sorry cannot resize and cannot save as anything other that a large jpeg file. drat. but it reads:

16 Rosina Street, Hackney, London

Head: Henry Hart - age 30 Road repairer born Folkestone

Wife: Fanny Hart - age 27 born Ireland !!!

Son: James Hart - age 6 born Ramsgate

Son: John Hart - age 1 born Homerton, London

I think perhaps someone going to the NA maybe able to help more with the military connection - do you know if he married during his service years? It may be worth finding a marriage certificate (again I will look on ancestry) as this may have regiment. Or a birth certificate of a child would have father's occupation (that is of course if he ever got any leave during the war). I see his dad was listed as Henry - (not james henry) - if this is the correct famiy.

Will do what I can and have a rethink...

susan.

Stu,

Re Ernest Clifford and Daniel Hickey - nothing for them.

However, regarding Edward Thomas Morley - entry found in Volume 13 (london) page 306 as follows:

MORLEY E T Pte 1st London Regiment (Royal Fus)

Joining in October 1917 he embarked in February of the following year for France and during the retreat of 1918 was taken prisoner. Whilst in captivity he contracted fever of which he died on November 29th 1918. Buried in Germany and was entitled to General Service and Victory medals.

"A costly sacrifice upon the altar of freedom"

34 Silvester Road, East Dulwich SE22

Hope this is of interestl. Have you looked at CWG site to see where in Germany he is buried?

I am SO relieved to have found someone ......

Stu, a bit more for you. see attachment. i am a bit confused as the medal card index ties in with his reg no but has him as EJ not ET.... still suppose a lot of them were misinterpreted..... hey ho.

Morley_ET_Casualty_Details.doc

Medal_card_of_Morley.doc

Susan

I am looking for information on my Grandfather.

Joseph Mellor - born 1883 in Leek Staffordshire.

He moved to Fenton or Longton - Stoke on Trent.

He joined a Regiment in about 1914 and served throughout the War.

We think that he was either in the Sherwood Foresters or North Staffs.

It was said that he was a stretcher bearer.

I have no army information at all. I I can find the Regiment then I can call upon the MIC etc.

Can you help?

Clive.

Clive, the J. Mellors in the national roll are on volumes that include those from Manchester and Salford.

(manchester regiment etc) would any of them be him.

do you know his address or anything about him in 1901.

will look on ancestry for him to see where abouts he was. may shed some light. have you tried the nat. arch. site yet or not because of the missing regiment etc?

will have a look to see what i can find for you.

susan.

just a thought - could he have been in the RAMC if he was a stretcher bearer????? - from 1901 census he lived in Fenton and was 17 years old and a brick maker (or worker of some sort). will let you know details of all members of the household if you want. just let me know.

(there is a joseph mellor on national archives site that was private in the RAMC ) also some for south and north staff regiments.

If he had children, what did their birth certificates say or his marriage cert if he was in the army when he got married?

did he survive the war - the CWGC site has a few for north staffs that died but cannot make out who is who as no relatives listed on the ones that may be of interest

also - did he have a middle name?

let me know if you want me to do any further family history research. i am more than willing.

susan.

Hi Susan,

Many thanks for the info,its very useful.

Stuart

glad to have been of help.

see attachment (i hope) 1901 - sorry cannot resize and cannot save as anything other that a large jpeg file. drat. but it reads:

16 Rosina Street, Hackney, London

Head: Henry Hart - age 30 Road repairer born Folkestone

Wife: Fanny Hart - age 27 born Ireland !!!

Son: James Hart - age 6 born Ramsgate

Son: John Hart - age 1 born Homerton, London

I think perhaps someone going to the NA maybe able to help more with the military connection - do you know if he married during his service years? It may be worth finding a marriage certificate (again I will look on ancestry) as this may have regiment. Or a birth certificate of a child would have father's occupation (that is of course if he ever got any leave during the war). I see his dad was listed as Henry - (not james henry) - if this is the correct famiy.

Will do what I can and have a rethink...

susan.

Alan, sorry not to have been of much help to you and sorry not to have read your original posting adequately enough before rambling on.

susan.. :huh:

Alan, sorry not to have been of much help to you and sorry not to have read your original posting adequately enough before rambling on.

susan.. :huh:

Susan

No problems - I am extremely grateful for you looking in the index anyway. I see from another posting, that entry into the National Roll was by subscription, and that being the case I can quite imagine that my Dad and his parents may have decided not to subscribe due to the cost aspect.

Thanks again

Alan

Clive, the J. Mellors in the national roll are on volumes that include those from Manchester and Salford.

(manchester regiment etc) would any of them be him.

do you know his address or anything about him in 1901.

will look on ancestry for him to see where abouts he was. may shed some light. have you tried the nat. arch. site yet or not because of the missing regiment etc?

will have a look to see what i can find for you.

susan.

just a thought - could he have been in the RAMC if he was a stretcher bearer????? - from 1901 census he lived in Fenton and was 17 years old and a brick maker (or worker of some sort). will let you know details of all members of the household if you want. just let me know.

(there is a joseph mellor on national archives site that was private in the RAMC ) also some for south and north staff regiments.

If he had children, what did their birth certificates say or his marriage cert if he was in the army when he got married?

did he survive the war - the CWGC site has a few for north staffs that died but cannot make out who is who as no relatives listed on the ones that may be of interest

also - did he have a middle name?

let me know if you want me to do any further family history research. i am more than willing.

susan.

Susan

Thank you for being so prompt.

Joseph Mellor had no middle name, so no help there.

He was married in 1904, so no help on his marriage certificate.

He had a child in 1913. He was not in the army then.

Next child was born in 1918, so I will obtain the birth certificate to see the occupation.

If army then great then that is a start.

I have a lot of information on the family, but thank you anyway for your offer.

He did survive the war and went into the mines afterwards.

It was always said that he had "Trench Foot". Maybe he came out of the army early!

There is one possibility. The Sherwood Foresters have a Joseph Mellor (19021). The museum thinks that this may be the one I am lookig for but have no more details except for the MIC

Regards

Clive

Clive, best of luck with this. i would be interested in the result - hope its a good one. it will be the best christmas present ever.

susan.

Susan

No problems - I am extremely grateful for you looking in the index anyway. I see from another posting, that entry into the National Roll was by subscription, and that being the case I can quite imagine that my Dad and his parents may have decided not to subscribe due to the cost aspect.

Thanks again

Alan

Alan, yes, my grandad had the same problem. i think money was so tight at the time and lots of people were disillusioned with what they had expected to find when they returned against what was actually waiting for them. poor devils -

anyway Alan, if there is any further help i can be just let me know. i am always willing to help in any way i can.

take care.

susan.

Hi Susan

If the offer still applies would you be so kind as to look up

Benjamin Macleod Seaforth Highlanders Reg No. S/10940 or 33907

Alaxander Macleod Seaforth Highlanders died 1915

Kindest Regards

Allan

Sorry Allan, no mention of any macleod's.

susan.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Susan, could you look up the following please?

34713 Dvr Leonard G W Prosser RE

94106 Gnr G W Woodcock RFA

Thanks in advance

Hi Susan, could you look up the following please?

34713 Dvr Leonard G W Prosser RE

94106 Gnr G W Woodcock RFA

Thanks in advance

Sorry Spoons, nothing for either man.

susan.

Sorry Spoons, nothing for either man.

susan.

thanks for looking

• 2 months later...

hi,could you see if my greatgrandfather is there please.he was missed off the sdgw for some reason.george henry gough 303981 LRB.thanks

hi,could you see if my greatgrandfather is there please.he was missed off the sdgw for some reason.george henry gough 303981 LRB.thanks

Hi,

I came across your message purely by chance. I'm an LRB researcher. My Grand father was LRB.

Presume you have checked your Great Grandfather in the BW & V Medal Roll ?

Here is the entry:

Gough George Henry 303981(10073) Rifleman 31,8,16 16,8,17 2/2 RE 7,12,16-16,12,16 KA 16,8,17

He was one of 357 men who transferred into the LRB from the 7th Middlesex (five digit regimental number 10073) most who went to France in August 1916. In December 1916, you can see he spent 9 days with the 2/2nd Corps of Royal Engineers, then returning to LRB. and he was killed in action on the 16th August 1917.

Suggest you get copy of Maurice's LRB History and maybe Mitchinson's 'Gentlemen and Officers' about LRB from the IWM in London.

Let me know if you'd like more.

Best Regards

Josturm.

:D

hi susan,

could you do me a favour and look up

Pte Ralph Gair 203219

1/4th Btn Northumberland Fusiliers

thank...toffo