Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

National Roll of The Great War

susanhemmings

Hi Susan,

Can you look Arthur Strangeway 14060 of the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment please?

Cheers, Diane

Diane, sorry for delay. Been stuck into NA website.

Sorry, cannot find any mention of Arthur Strangeway. There was a mention for an AE Strangway but he was on the Leeds volume and not in the Loyal North Lancashire Reg.

Sorry Diane.

Any others??

Susan. :)

Hi Susan,

Thanks for looking for Mumford, much appreciated.

Andy

Any time Andy

Susan.

I appreciate you taking the time and looking for Arthur Strangeway for me Susan. Thank you very much. I do not have any others at this present time.

Cheers, Diane

Pettsy, had a look round for the last hour or so, - i think one of the others on here will be better placed to help with that.

I am stull unsure of the number after the entry on the CD - I wonder if its the number off the medal index card denoting he was discharged owing to his disability (James Cannon). Did he have a middle name that you know of?

The only sure way is to get the Medal Index Card downloaded from the National Archives Site, but first you must be sure which man you are downloading..... there are over 1000 entries for one search that I did and I got up to 1000 only to realise that there were another 110 men mentioned that could not be listed (as it ownly lists 1000 at a time). I tried putting the number Z 1769 in and got three seamen up.

Then tried just 1769 - got a whole host of privates with that number - but not one james cannon. Plenty of james' but no surname match.

Let me know any more info.

All the best to you and glad I have helped you.

Susan.

Hi Susan

Thank you for looking for me.

I will start a new post and hope someone can help me find his medal card.

I had a quick look last night with no luck.

Thank you for finding him in the first place. :)

Pettsy

Hi Susan,

I would be grateful if you could look up 3 brothers and a couple of cousins for me.

William Fogden - Royal Garrison Artillery - 124Y05

Herbert Fogden - Royal Field Artillery - 120766

Reginald Garside Fogden - Unknown - Unknown.

Harold Graves - Coldstream Guards - 11397

William Graves - 20th Hussars - 12471

Frederick Norton - North Staffordshire Regiment - 23194

Joseph Norton - Lincolnshire Regiment then Labour Corps - 569829

Apologies for so many, so happy to wait for your convenience. I'm just appreciative of the chance to find out more information.

Thank you in advance.

Digger

Hi Susan,

I would be grateful if you could look up 3 brothers and a couple of cousins for me.

William Fogden - Royal Garrison Artillery - 124Y05

Herbert Fogden - Royal Field Artillery - 120766

Reginald Garside Fogden - Unknown - Unknown.

Harold Graves - Coldstream Guards - 11397

William Graves - 20th Hussars - 12471

Frederick Norton - North Staffordshire Regiment - 23194

Joseph Norton - Lincolnshire Regiment then Labour Corps - 569829

Apologies for so many, so happy to wait for your convenience. I'm just appreciative of the chance to find out more information.

Thank you in advance.

Digger

From the Index there is a Fogden, H on disc volume 9, page 69 and a Graves, H on disc volume 9, page 78

Volume 9 is for Bradford area. Unfortunately, it is the only disc I do not have at present. If you look at previous postings (post #89) I have mentioned this to another source (Pettsy I think). One of the forum members (from memory mmm45) has this disc and is willing to do look ups. If you have a look at the offers of lookups (I think in this section) I am sure they would be happy to help you with the above two names.

There is no info for any of the other names you mention.

Sorry Digger

Regards,

Susan.

Thanks Susan, appreciate you taking the time to help out. Will follow your advice.

Digger

Hi Susan,

Thank you for your kind offer!

Researching my GFather:

GEORGE SMYTH

ROYAL IRISH RIFLES

RIFLEMAN

1ST BN

SERVICE NBR. 9001

Joan

Joan, nothing on the above, sorry.

susan.

Thanks Susan, appreciate you taking the time to help out. Will follow your advice.

Digger

Any time Digger.

susan.

Hi Susan,

Wonder if I could bother you for one more. Rifleman J.A. Bracey, number S/10475, 3rd Rifle Brigade. Killed in action 15-2-16.

He came from 5 Nickoll Street, Haggerston, London.

Andy

Digger

Hi Susan,

Thank you very much for looking up George Smyth.

Joan

Susan,

Thanks for doing all of us a great service! Could you hook me up with any information on the following??

Cpl Isaac Charles Judges, 40494, 6th Bn, East Yorkshire Regt KIA 3 Oct, 1917 at Langemark

Pte Harold Griffiths, 1805,1/6 Bn Manchester Regt, KIA 4 June, 1915 in Gallipoli

Sgt Harold Mellor M.M., 1441, RA, C/150 Bde

WO CL II Ralph G. Hopkins 49611, RA

Pte Charles Loates, 33155, RAMC

Again, thanks for helping us out!

-Ski

Hello Susan,

Could you have a look for ALFRED SOFFE please? He may have come from the Southampton area.

Many thanks

Kate

STILETO Nothing for Rifeleman JA Bracey - sorry.

TEAMSKI Nothing for Cpl I C Judges, W\O RG Hopkins, Pte C Loates.

Re Pte H Griffiths. Nothing for 1/6 Manchester Regiment KIA 4.6.15 but on Volume 11 (page 154) there is mention of a Pte H Griffiths in the 12th Manchesters KiA Arras on 28.5.`7 lived at 65 Montague Street, Collyhurst, Manchester... any relative of your one?

Re Sgt H Mellor - there is reference in Index to an H Mellor on Volume 9 (bradford) page 303 - this is the only disc I do not have. But mmm45 does, so give him a post - I am sure he will be able to do a look up for you.

KATE re A Soffe - Possibly Southampton. On the Southampton disc (Volume 4 page 355) there are references to various Soffe names (B / E / EM / PH / RF / S) but nothing for an "A" Soffe. All lived in the Southampton area, so if you need any others just let me know.

Sorry I could not be more help. I wish I could have been.

Any time anyone...

Regards,

Susan. (oh, and sorry for the delay - work prevented my loggin on).....

:)

Susan,

Many thanks for the lookup. I was amazed to find more than one Alfred Soffe in the census, so I am not sure how he relates to the ones you mention. Do you know if the six you have found have a common address?

Thankyou again

Kate

Susan,

. Do you know if the six you have found have a common address?

Thankyou again

Kate

Kate, they had varying addresses (from my memory) - there was one woman I do remember that. I will look for you if you want.

Susan.

Kate: here goes

B Soffe Pte Hampshire Regiment - 52 Cedar Road, Southampton KiA April 1915

E Soffe Forestry Corps - Bartley, Southampton

EM (Miss) Soffe - Special War Worker - Andanians Cottages, Woodlands, Nr Southampton

PH Soffe - Cpl RGA - 65 English Road, Shirley, Southampton

RF Soffe - Pte Dorsetshire Regiment - 123 Adelaide Road, St. Denys, Southampton

S Soffe - Fireman, Merchant Service - Andanians Cottages, Woodlands, Nr Southampton

(looks like he was the brother of Miss EM Soffe).

Only B Soffe KiA. Rest returned home, invalided or demob...

Hope this helps. All the best to you. Better go to bed....

Susan. :)

(you always get many surprises when looking in the census' returns at a name you don't think common and the way they are interpreted by the transcribers - well won't go into that here)

Susan,

Is there any mention of a Robert Hollings, Worcester Regt, of Cakemore, Bromsgrove, Worcester at all?

Susan,

Is there any mention of a Robert Hollings, Worcester Regt, of Cakemore, Bromsgrove, Worcester at all?

Derek, just picked this up at work (as you do!!) - will have a look when I get home later.

Susan.

Derek, now had a look. Sorry, nothing for that chap.

Susan.

Thanks Susan :)

Susan,

Many thanks for the lookup, and all the additional information on the other Soffes.

Regards

Kate