Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

National Roll of The Great War

susanhemmings

I was wondering if you would be able to help me at all - I am having big problems trying to find information on my grandad in the first world war. Could you could have a look and see if he did serve in the war?

His name was Francis Harold Halliday - born 1896 in Portishead near Bristol.

I would really REALLY appreciate your help!

Nikki

Lookups offered.

Hi Sue,

Would you look up 2 brothers please gt grandad & uncle

James Clarke: Royal Sussex 19396, TRB TR10/42760, RE 616023 from Walthamstow/Essex/London

Harry Clarke: unknown but also from Walthamstow/Essex/London

also

Charles Minihan: A&SH 2227 & 200611 from Greenock/Glasgow

Frederick Palmer Stephenson: BRC& STJJ from Essex/London Area

Thanks very much in advance

Ian

Good Evening - off upstairs to look for you Nikki and Ian.

Susan.

I was wondering if you would be able to help me at all - I am having big problems trying to find information on my grandad in the first world war. Could you could have a look and see if he did serve in the war?

His name was Francis Harold Halliday - born 1896 in Portishead near Bristol.

I would really REALLY appreciate your help!

Nikki

Hello Nikki,

I cannot find anything for Francis Harold Halliday except a Sapper in the Royal Engineers who lived in Portsmouth.

Sorry.

Susan.

Hi Sue,

Would you look up 2 brothers please gt grandad & uncle

James Clarke: Royal Sussex 19396, TRB TR10/42760, RE 616023 from Walthamstow/Essex/London

Harry Clarke: unknown but also from Walthamstow/Essex/London

also

Charles Minihan: A&SH 2227 & 200611 from Greenock/Glasgow

Frederick Palmer Stephenson: BRC& STJJ from Essex/London Area

Thanks very much in advance

Ian

Hello Ian,

Nothing for any of your men, sorry. The National Roll only covers England so I don't think Charles Minihan would be in it. But I did look and there were no Minihan's mentioned.

Sorry Ian.

Susan.

Lookups offered.

HI,SUSAN HAVE YOU GOT ANYTHING ON JOHN NEWPORT BORN GLOUCESTSHIRE 1890 SERVED WITH ROYAL MARINES LIGHT INFANTRY HMS CARNARVON IN 1915 ,THATS ALL I KNOW ,TRYING TO FIND HIS SERVICE NOS ,THANKS JULIE

Julie, sorry its taken so long to answer. Will look when i get home tonight. loggin in at work (slap.....)

be in touch.

Susan.

Hello again Julie,

have had a look in National Roll, but cannot find anything for your man. Sorry.

Susan.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Susan

Thanks for your offer.

Just wondering if there is anything for my grandfather Alexander O'Hara. Am trying to gather info on him for my father whose health is failing fast.

Many Thanks

Gramps

Hi Susan,

Could you look for the following:

William Rice, 39986 Leicester Regiment, born 1899

Herbert Rice

John Rice

All brothers from Belper, Derbyshire.

Many Thanks

Tim

Gramps, Eyes and Tim, so sorry for the delay. the email facility is not alerting me for some reason. will look for you right away.

Susan.

gramps, eyes and tim,

had a good look for all the men as above. nothing - sorry. but will have a look around on ancestry later. will be back if anything found..

susan.

Hi Susan

Thanks for your offer.

Just wondering if there is anything for my grandfather Alexander O'Hara. Am trying to gather info on him for my father whose health is failing fast.

Many Thanks

Gramps

gramps. where abouts did your grandfather come from? - just looking on ancestry and just noticed pension stuff for an alexander o'hara hailing from ireland.

pm me or reply here. will look out for the posting.

susan.

Hi Susan

Would there be anything regarding a:

Thomas Dodd

Driver

RFA

Many thanks in advance,

Colin

Hello Susan

On Nov 18 I had a notification of a PM from you, according to my e mail in-box, but I can find nothing anywhere beyond that notification. Not sure what went wrong. :o I have some ferocious firewalls for other reasons but they should not have touched a message from you. Could you re-send or reply here please. Thanks and sorry for the trouble.

Colin

Hello Colin, very strange. I cannot find anything either, but then again I have just had to delete lots of stuff out of my PM box, so its not to say I did not send a pm!!! going senile by the day.

Anyway, the only thing i can think of is that whilst looking on ancestry i know there were a few Thomas Dodd records, but i am not sure where your main hails from and so could not take it any further. if you want to pm me with some or any details i will look for you.

Kind regards to you

Susan.

editP: what a twerp - just noticed Thomas Dodd has a reg no. will be off to have a look now.

edit again: sorry colin, cannot find anything under that reg no. may he have had a different one also?

let me know if i can help any further.

lesley, so very sorry for the delay. internet down for two days but i should have see this earlier. the notification thing has let me down again... sorry. will look now for you.

susan.

Lesley

Had a good look. Sorry nothing for your man. Will look on ancestry for you and get back if i find anything.

Susan. (oh, and many welcomes to you). (as an aside, i am not sure, but seem to remember looking up the "marke" family census stuff before......?)

Hello Colin, very strange. I cannot find anything either, but then again I have just had to delete lots of stuff out of my PM box, so its not to say I did not send a pm!!! going senile by the day.

Anyway, the only thing i can think of is that whilst looking on ancestry i know there were a few Thomas Dodd records, but i am not sure where your main hails from and so could not take it any further. if you want to pm me with some or any details i will look for you.

Kind regards to you

Susan.

editP: what a twerp - just noticed Thomas Dodd has a reg no. will be off to have a look now.

edit again: sorry colin, cannot find anything under that reg no. may he have had a different one also?

let me know if i can help any further.

Hi Susan

Dvr Thomas Dodd also had this number, 735730, in addition to his 1493 number (Not sure why he had 2. Perhaps everyone did?) If you could try that, I would appreciate it. Thanks for all the time and effort.

Colin

EYES, will certainly look for you over the weekend.

Susan.

Eyes, had a further look. Nothing for Thomas, sorry.

susan.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Susan

Can you look for PTE JOHN EDMUND TATE

West Yorkshire Reg 11Th Battalion

Service No 24542

Regards Doug.

Hello doug, had a look but cannot find anything for your man. Sorry.

And sorry for delay (email alert not happening).

Susan.