Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

National Roll of The Great War

susanhemmings

You are very welcome Ski.

Susan.

Susan,

First of all, thank you for offering to do lookups!

Could you have a look if a Samuel Thomas Henry Ashby (Or Samuel T Ashby) is in any of the London registers. He is from Southwark, although it may have his address as Rotherhithe, London.

I don't know what regiment unfortunately. His son was also called Samuel T Ashby, so may be there too. Same address.

Also, is there a Laurie Arthur Mealing, Border Regiment, from Harwich, Essex.

Thanks again. :)

Rob

Hello,

I am looking for any information on Henry Samuel Beadle, Royal Field Artillery, from Lambeth in London, and also Thomas Beckett of the 13th. Royal Fusiliers, who I think came from London also.

Thank you very much for your time.

Regards,

Stewart

Hi Susan, can you help?

cant seem to find a MIC for R4-062580 Pte W.CHAPMAN A.S.C

Ive got a pair to him with a mid on the victory, thats all the info I have , not on CWGC or SDGW,

Dear All, Please accept my sincere apologies for not replying sooner. My father had a bad fall and broke his right femur - which co incided with obtaining a new puppy. What with clearing up all sorts and visiting I have not had any free time. Just looked today - will go and investigate now, and post back.

Sorry.

Susan.

Reply for Rob, Stewart and Chaz

Rob. Nothing for either Samuel T or Samuel TH Ashby or Laurie A Mealing.

Stewart: Nothing for Henry Samuel Beadle or Thomas Beckett

Chaz: Nothing for W Chapman in National ~Roll - plenty of entries for a W Chapman but nothing relating to ASC.....

Have you tried putting the R4-062..... number in the search bar at the national archives site. Or searching all for ASC??

I will have a quick go now, just incase you didn't.

Sorry everyone. and apologies again for the delay.

Susan.

National Archives search result

Chaz - try this link. seems there is a reference to a William Chapman - reg no: R4/06258 (no zero, but who knows????)

Susan.

Seems as if this chap was a pte. Northumberland Fusiliers Reg no: 32026

and

Pte. Royal Fusiliers Reg no: GS/9646

perhaps SDGW or CWGC has him under either of the other two numbers or the one without the zero on the end (in the link). Good luck.....

have a look.......... Susan.

ps: there is a James Drury with the same service no so perhaps that is why your one has a zero on the end.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (if you type in R4/06258 with Army Service Corps you will see what I mean)

See this here

Hi Susan,

This may be a long shot but i have been struggling with this question.My great great grandad Edwin Hartshorne was listed as been in the KOYLI in the 1918 absentee list. He lived in Normanton, wakefield and was born in 1874. However there is only one Edwin Hartshorne listed on the medal cards and he was in the Roal field artillery then the Labour corps could you please help me any way. Im running out of ideas.

Many thanks Martin

Hi Susan,

This may be a long shot but i have been struggling with this question.My great great grandad Edwin Hartshorne was listed as been in the KOYLI in the 1918 absentee list. He lived in Normanton, wakefield and was born in 1874. However there is only one Edwin Hartshorne listed on the medal cards and he was in the Roal field artillery then the Labour corps could you please help me any way. Im running out of ideas.

Many thanks Martin

I will have a look in the national roll for a start - then on the national archives site. if you ype in KOYLI you will get hundreds of men probably, but who knows. will see if i can find anything out. where did you find out he was listed in KOYLI in 1918 in absentee list? was he in hospital, what does absentee list mean.

If you put a general posting under soldiers in the forum someone more knowledgeable that I will certainly be able to guide you to the correct source to look at.

In the meantime I will see if I can find anything for Edwin (snr).

Susan.

I will have a look in the national roll for a start - then on the national archives site. if you ype in KOYLI you will get hundreds of men probably, but who knows. will see if i can find anything out. where did you find out he was listed in KOYLI in 1918 in absentee list? was he in hospital, what does absentee list mean.

If you put a general posting under soldiers in the forum someone more knowledgeable that I will certainly be able to guide you to the correct source to look at.

Susan.

Hi susan thanks for your help.

The 1918 absentee list was compiled during the general election. All those soldiers who were at war were on alist compiled by each parlimentary district as they couldn t vote. On the wakefield one it lists him as been in the KOYLI but nothing else. Hartshorne is quite a rare name so it may not appear too much.

Hope this helps, again many thanks

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Susan,

Would you mind looking up the following men:

John Fearon, Air Force?, Liverpool

William Bryce, Royal Engineers, Liverpool

Henry Bryce, Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, Greenock

Thanks for any help,

Bill Bryce

Susan.

Follow up: Martin, have hit a complete brick wall with this one. Can any other forum pal help you???? I hope they can.

put a post in soldiers.

susan. (am sorry)

Hi Susan,

Would you mind looking up the following men:

John Fearon, Air Force?, Liverpool

William Bryce, Royal Engineers, Liverpool

Henry Bryce, Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, Greenock

Thanks for any help,

Bill Bryce

Bill - Nothing for any of these. Am sorry.

Susan.

ps: sorry for delay as well.

Hi Susan

If you are still offering look ups could you see if there is any mention of my ggrandfather:

John Page of Aston Birmingham

I don't know his regiment so am hoping that the National Roll might be able to help me out.

Thank you

Hi Susan just came across your post Could you please look up James Anderson born in Fife Scots Guards C coy no 13873, George M Devan Seaforth Highlanders born Stranraer service no S/22582. Thanks

susan...can i ask you if you could see if there is a reference to morris steinberg...a gunner his service nos is166450...thanking you if you get time...difficult for me ..out the country...cheers david

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Susan

If you are still offering look ups could you see if there is any mention of my ggrandfather:

John Page of Aston Birmingham

I don't know his regiment so am hoping that the National Roll might be able to help me out.

Thank you

Sorry, nothing for this chap.

apologies for delay. family problems.

susan.

Hi Susan just came across your post Could you please look up James Anderson born in Fife Scots Guards C coy no 13873, George M Devan Seaforth Highlanders born Stranraer service no S/22582. Thanks

None of the volumes seem to cover scottish regiments. don't know if i just can see what's infront of me. but no luck so far.

susan. (sorry) and sorry for delay.

susan...can i ask you if you could see if there is a reference to morris steinberg...a gunner his service nos is166450...thanking you if you get time...difficult for me ..out the country...cheers david

Sorry, nothing for your morris.

sorry for delay as well.

susan.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Susan,

Could you please look up the following for me.

Pte Edward Thomas Morley,1st/4th London Regiment,of East Dulwich in South London.

Pte Ernest Reginald Clifford,2nd London Regiment,of South London.

Capt Daniel Edgar Hickey,Tank Corps,of Hampstead in North London.

Many thanks.

Stuart

Susan

I'm not having much luck in finding my (deceased) father's service details, and I am hoping that there may be an entry in the Index for him, so I can at least narrow down the "possibles".

The MIC's have 13 or more soldiers with my Dad's first and family name, and what's worse he quite often used his second given name (Henry), rather than his first name, (James) because his Dad's Christian name was James also.

Anyway the details are:

James Henry HART

Born 25 January 1895

Born in Ramsgate in Kent but living probably in Hackney area pre-war and in 1918 he is on the electoral roll at 10 Banister Street, Homerton (S.Hackney) as an absent voter serving in the forces. He did get shrapnel in his leg, and was in hospital for some time, but lived until 1968 (73 years old) so it was not a life threatening wound.

I would assume he would not have travelled too far away from his residential area of Hackney to enlist, so I am guessing again, that he would have enlisted in a London recruitment office, so its going to be a London or National regiment.

Any help most gratefully received.

Alan A Hart