Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

National Roll of The Great War

susanhemmings

chaz, just thought. the volumes are usually related to where the soldier lived at the time, not regiments they served in. although from what i have seen it looks as if, say, someone was serving in one of the london regiments they seem to appear in the london volumes (i suppose that this goes with where they enlisted, naturally near to their actual place of residence at the time).

But, in some cases I have found men who resided in london and who actually served in regiments other than the london (manchester for instance). You also need to remember that a massive amount of men were conscripted and they did not have a choice of regiment.......

Someone on the forum will correct this statement - hopefully.

As i said, they are far more knowledgeable than i could ever hope to be about this subject. So ask away, someone will surely answer you.

But, if you do need my help, please ask. I am always willing even if i am still very very green.

susan.

thanks for the info Susan.

will pm/email a list over the weekend at your leisure, no great hurry. just that I work lateshift and with trying to move dad housewise and looking for a business Im tied for time apart from a minute here and there

no problem chaz.

anytime.

susan.

if you find it easier email me at

susanhemmings@fsmail.net

susan please remove the @ from your email address as spammers click and swipe these then you get piles of rubbish. replace with at. we can all work around that

thanks for that will do.

Hi Susan

I understand time is precious at the moment but if you could get chance to see if there's any info on Birmingham man 268306 (or 2193) Arthur Laishley Royal Warwickshire Regiment I'd be most grateful.

Many thanks

Gary

will look for you Gary.

susan.

Gary, Sadly nothing - sorry

susan

sorry bill, cannot find anything on William (joseph) bryce

susan.

Mike, cannot find anything for edward barry. sorry. and sorry for the delay.

susan.

Hi Susan,

Thankyou for your time.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Susan,

When you have a free moment could you please look up my great grandfather JAMES CANNON from London.

And Andrew Munn R.E

Walter Munn K.O.S.B.

James Munn Black Watch (R.H)

Daniel Munn H.L.I

John Munn Cameron Higlanders.

Cecil Henry Petts Hamps Reg

Thank you. ;)

Pettsy

Pettsy,

Looked up those mentioned. James Cannon - Index only shows initial of first name. so, J Cannon

Three mentions for a chap of this name all lived in london and all listed in London Volumes

1 J. Cannon - Corporal RND (Drake Battalion) lived Peckham

2. J. Cannon - Rifleman 1st KRRC - lived Camberwell

3. J. Cannon - Pte Royal Fusilliers - lived Battersea

All mentioned in Volume 7 (London) page 58

4. J. Cannon - Volume 9 (Bradford which I do not have) page 237 - but probably not your chap as London was mentioned in the posting.

Andrew Munn only one mention but of AW Munn so don't think your chap. However, mentioned in Volume 1 (London) page 244 - this chap was a Sapper with Royal Engineers and lived Lower Edmonton

Walter Munn

James Munn

Daniel Munn

John Munn

Cecil Petts

FC Petts

AB Petts

F Petts

A Petts nothing for the above.

If any of the "Cannon" entries ring a bell, let me know I will transcribe what the book says about them.

Regards and sorry could not be much more help.

Susan. :) PS - just noticed mmm45 has volume 9 (bradford) and is kindly offering look ups - if you think Bradford will help. (see mmm45 posting this section). Susan.

Pettsy,

Looked up those mentioned. James Cannon - Index only shows initial of first name. so, J Cannon

Three mentions for a chap of this name all lived in london and all listed in London Volumes

1 J. Cannon - Corporal RND (Drake Battalion) lived Peckham

2. J. Cannon - Rifleman 1st KRRC - lived Camberwell

3. J. Cannon - Pte Royal Fusilliers - lived Battersea

All mentioned in Volume 7 (London) page 58

4. J. Cannon - Volume 9 (Bradford which I do not have) page 237 - but probably not your chap as London was mentioned in the posting.

Andrew Munn only one mention but of AW Munn so don't think your chap. However, mentioned in Volume 1 (London) page 244 - this chap was a Sapper with Royal Engineers and lived Lower Edmonton

Walter Munn

James Munn

Daniel Munn

John Munn

Cecil Petts

FC Petts

AB Petts

F Petts

A Petts nothing for the above.

If any of the "Cannon" entries ring a bell, let me know I will transcribe what the book says about them.

Regards and sorry could not be much more help.

Susan. :) PS - just noticed mmm45 has volume 9 (bradford) and is kindly offering look ups - if you think Bradford will help. (see mmm45 posting this section). Susan.

Hi Susan,

Can you please send me the details of J. Cannon who lived in Battersea, as my Cannon's were from Battersea.

Also A.W Munn, as even though mine is A Munn.

In the Times (which I received this morning) he was down as A.W.Munn, thr W is a mistake, but the army number was the same.

Thank you.

Best wishes

Pettsy

Pettsy,

Re; regiment numbers. There are numbers after each man's listing but I don't think they are the regiment numbers (not sure however). Another forum member will know for sure. Perhaps if you ask.

Anyway.

Re: Cannon, J (number is: Z1769)

Re: Munn AW (number is: 14790)

The respective entries read:

CANNON, J Private, Royal Fusiliers: He volunteered in August 1914. Shortly afterwards he was sent to Malta where he served on important duties with his until until April 1916 when he was transferred to France. He took part in severe fighting on the Somme and was wounded and suffered the loss of his left arm. He was invalided home and discharged owing to this disability in April 1917 and holds the General Service and Victory Medals. Address given: 65 Stanforth Road, Battersea SW11

MUNN AW, Sapper, Royal Engineers: Volunteered in December 1915 and after his training was engaged on important duties at various stations with his unit. He gave valuable service but was not successful in obtaining his transfer overseas before cessation of hostilities. Demobilised in January 1919.

Address given: 43 Maldon Road, Lower Edmonton, N9

Hope these help.

Looking again at the numbers I do wonder as I think I have seen somewhere that a "Z" indicates disability so it may be worth asking a fellow Pal for an opinion. They have lots of knowledge ( which I do not have )

Susan.

Hi Susan,

Is there anything on John Mumford, S-30005, The Rifle Brigade, Died of Wounds 29-10-18, buried Mount Huon Military Cemetery.

His address was 59 Alderney Street, St George Hanover Square, London.

Many thanks.

Andy

Sorry Andy, nothing there.

Susan.

Pettsy,

Re; regiment numbers. There are numbers after each man's listing but I don't think they are the regiment numbers (not sure however). Another forum member will know for sure. Perhaps if you ask.

Anyway.

Re: Cannon, J (number is: Z1769)

Re: Munn AW (number is: 14790)

The respective entries read:

CANNON, J Private, Royal Fusiliers: He volunteered in August 1914. Shortly afterwards he was sent to Malta where he served on important duties with his until until April 1916 when he was transferred to France. He took part in severe fighting on the Somme and was wounded and suffered the loss of his left arm. He was invalided home and discharged owing to this disability in April 1917 and holds the General Service and Victory Medals. Address given: 65 Stanforth Road, Battersea SW11

MUNN AW, Sapper, Royal Engineers: Volunteered in December 1915 and after his training was engaged on important duties at various stations with his unit. He gave valuable service but was not successful in obtaining his transfer overseas before cessation of hostilities. Demobilised in January 1919.

Address given: 43 Maldon Road, Lower Edmonton, N9

Hope these help.

Looking again at the numbers I do wonder as I think I have seen somewhere that a "Z" indicates disability so it may be worth asking a fellow Pal for an opinion. They have lots of knowledge ( which I do not have )

Susan.

Hi Susan

Thank you so much, you have found my great grandfather James Cannon :D

Mum never knew his regiment or army number.

The family were from Battersea, and some lived down Stainforth Rd.

He lost his arm in the war.

Thanks Susan. ;)

Pettsy

Susan just had a thought (again) can I ask you to please look up Frederick Pelts.

My great grandfather was a PETTS but on his SWB a PELTS :o

Labour Corps. He was from London, lving in either Chelsea or Fulham.

Thank you.

Pettsy :D

Pettsy, You are THE FIRST person ever that I have successfully been able to help through this Index and the CDs.... I am (nearly) as pleased as you....

re: Frederick Petts - I already looked for a F Pelts but cannot find one.

There is one entry for a F PETTS london (Volume 2 = London, Page 266) but this chap died - will tell you what the CD says anyway

Here goes:

PETTS, F - Private 3/4th City of London Regiment. He joined in June 1917 and in the same year was sent to France. He took part in engagements on the Marne Road and was killed in action on July 11th, 1918. He was entitled to the General Service and Victory Medals.

Lived: 90 Marinefield Road, Fulham, SW6

number after entry: X21484B

Pettsy, have you looked on the National Archives site to verify or deny the regiment number for James Cannon. I will have a look for you. May take me a small time, but will reply again once I have had a gander.

So glad I have been of help. I find it rewarding. Thanks,

Susan.

Pettsy, You are THE FIRST person ever that I have successfully been able to help through this Index and the CDs.... I am (nearly) as pleased as you....

re: Frederick Petts - I already looked for a F Pelts but cannot find one.

There is one entry for a F PETTS london (Volume 2 = London, Page 266) but this chap died - will tell you what the CD says anyway

Here goes:

PETTS, F - Private 3/4th City of London Regiment. He joined in June 1917 and in the same year was sent to France. He took part in engagements on the Marne Road and was killed in action on July 11th, 1918. He was entitled to the General Service and Victory Medals.

Lived: 90 Marinefield Road, Fulham, SW6

number after entry: X21484B

Pettsy, have you looked on the National Archives site to verify or deny the regiment number for James Cannon. I will have a look for you. May take me a small time, but will reply again once I have had a gander.

So glad I have been of help. I find it rewarding. Thanks,

Susan.

Hi Susan,

I am so happy :D and so is mum, I cannot believe you found him.

And he was the only one we never knew which reg and army number.

I will have a look now on the National Archives site.

Thank you for checking up Fredk Cecil Petts (Pelts on SWB roll :o )

He was gassed in war, but survived.

I will look into Frederick Petts in Fulham, he is not my great grandfather, but he could be an uncle or cousin.

Thank you once again.

Pettsy

Pettsy, had a look round for the last hour or so, - i think one of the others on here will be better placed to help with that.

I am stull unsure of the number after the entry on the CD - I wonder if its the number off the medal index card denoting he was discharged owing to his disability (James Cannon). Did he have a middle name that you know of?

The only sure way is to get the Medal Index Card downloaded from the National Archives Site, but first you must be sure which man you are downloading..... there are over 1000 entries for one search that I did and I got up to 1000 only to realise that there were another 110 men mentioned that could not be listed (as it ownly lists 1000 at a time). I tried putting the number Z 1769 in and got three seamen up.

Then tried just 1769 - got a whole host of privates with that number - but not one james cannon. Plenty of james' but no surname match.

Let me know any more info.

All the best to you and glad I have helped you.

Susan.