Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Last Absolution of the Munsters'

Mark Hone

Hello all,

do you think that there is somewhere a complete list of the men of the 2nd Royal Munster who were at "la rue du bois" with Richebourg on May 8, 1915 for the Last Absolution ?

Is it possible to know how many they were ?

many thanks for your answers

Michel

Hi Sullivan ! ( we might have to remove this but ...... !! )

The Dorothy bag is/was used as a convenience wedding accessory for carrying some of the bride's or bridesmaids personal effects ..... it was also carried by the bridesmaid to carry the confetti in.

Annie :)

Hello all,

do you think that there is somewhere a complete list of the men of the 2nd Royal Munster who were at "la rue du bois" with Richebourg on May 8, 1915 for the Last Absolution ?

Is it possible to know how many they were ?

many thanks for your answers

Michel

Michel,

Guess we can get a good list of the casualties from SDGW for 2RMF I have it, but an older version which I cannot copy/paste. Maybe some other pals with more upto version can list and post?

It shows 139 other ranks for 9/5/15. Officers (11) are mostly shown with battalion 'not shown' but guess we can narow that down by burial/commemoration place?

Ian

What a grand thread this is. Almost unbelievably poignant to witness the idyllic day of the wedding and contrast it with the unbelievable carnage a few years on. Well done to all involved in a great thread. Most enjoyable.

Annie forgive my ignorance, do you recognize the description, 'Dorothy Bag', can you enlighten me please.

Sullivan.

I think it's one of those little bags with a drawstring top.

Marina

I had a picture ..... but thought it was "off topic " ........ so have sent a picture to Sullivan !! :)

You know me Marina ...... always in trouble !! :)

Annie

I've found a list of the wounded of the 2nd battalion in the Times 9-6-1915 which I believe to be from the 9th May 1915.

post-6536-1173828391.jpg

Steve.

I had a picture ..... but thought it was "off topic " ........ so have sent a picture to Sullivan !! :)

You know me Marina ...... always in trouble !! :)

Annie

An endearing quality!

Marina :lol:

I've found a list of the wounded of the 2nd battalion in the Times 9-6-1915 which I believe to be from the 9th May 1915.

Steve.

it brings it home to see such a densely packed list, Steve.

Marina

Just the wounded, Annie.

There will be a list of Killed, a list of Died of Wounds and a list of missing. The Times can be a little difficult to persuade to give up its secrets but I imagine the lists will be in there....

Steve.

Annie, Marina, Ian and Steve,

thank you very much for the interest which you carry to my question.

How to do to obtain these lists ?

I would like so much to be able to honour each one of the last absolution's Munsters !

Michel

Michel,

You will find the Munster Fusilier casualties at the Le Touret Memorial.

If you look at the photograph, below, the names are on the right, under 'Neuve Chapelle.'

Last Saturday, there was a cross placed in the grass before the names, to a Pte. J. Mintern, RMF, it said 'Lost, but not forgotten.'

The Munsters, as part of the 3rd Brigade, attacked at dawn on the 9th of May, 1915 from the trenches at Rue du Bois, between Rue L'Epinette ('Chocolate Mernier Corner') and Port Arthur, with the 'Cinder Track' on their right. The battalion lost 19 officers and 370 N.C.O.s and men, 8 of whom were taken prisoner. The tragedy of it all was that many of the casualties were killed by so called 'friendly fire'.

The map at this page indicates the direction of the Munsters' attack -

http://www.1914-1918.net/BATTLES/bat11b_fe...t11b_actual.htm

Steve ...

is that just the wounded or does that include the deaths also ?

Annie

For Annie and other Forum members,

Picton Publishing produced a facsimile reprint of the 1921 list of RMF soldiers died 1914-1919, no officers listed. I have no idea when it was produced by Picton as the publication does not carry a publishing date. Cover page of the publication below, I believe copies are still around the 2nd hand bookshops in the UK.

The Times casualty lists are invaluable, however there is a downside. Unconfirmed lists are printed such as 'missing in action, wounded, POW, died. Then in later editions of the Times, you may find the same names of officers/other ranks appearing again on lists which have been confirmed by War Office. It can be a time consuming search.

On the CWGC web site on-line search page, I guess most Forum members know that it's possible to search by cemetery, this will give you all the known names for graves in the cemetery of your selection by alphabetical groupings.

Sullivan.

post-148-1173874739.jpg

I have the Times newspaper lists ! :) ( well not ALL the lists ..... but still there is some RMF on there !! )

Woohoo Steve ! ........... but I can't add them to the thread ! <_<

I'll send it to Michel and I hope he can post it for me !!

That's a beautiful picture of Le Touret Memorial jpc ..... thank you !

Annie

Hi Sullivan ! ( we might have to remove this but ...... !! )

The Dorothy bag is/was used as a convenience wedding accessory for carrying some of the bride's or bridesmaids personal effects ..... it was also carried by the bridesmaid to carry the confetti in.

Annie,

Many thanks for the info. Re wedding photo, I have now added a list of names of those in the wedding photo, refer to post 370 page 19.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...423&st=360#

Sullivan.

I was starting to look at the SDGW listings for 2RMF 9/5/15 casualties. Early name in the officers list - Lt Charles Sealy King. Cannot find him on CWGC. Probably a simple reason - transcription error, etc.

Have posted a request for help on the 'Soldiers' thread.

Ian

PS - Michel - I have e-mailed you.

Hi Ian !

I have the Lt Charles Sealy King in the Times ..... except I can't post it ! <_<

I could write it out if you like !

Annie

Annie,

I am torn between not wanting you to have to do the work and on the other hand always wanting to know more! I am sure Michel would be interested.

I just stumbled on the apparent absence from CWGC.

Amazing how the thread has such devlopments.

Ian

Stop sweating Ian.

Name: SEALY-KING, CHARLES

Initials: C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Munster Fusiliers

Unit Text: "D" Coy. 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 09/05/1915

Additional information: Son of Charles Sealy-King and Beatrice Sealy-King, of Richmount, Bandon, Co. Cork.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 43 and 44.

Memorial: LE TOURET MEMORIAL

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...asualty=1561807

Steve.

Hi Ian !

I already sent it to Michel this am .... so when he comes on .... maybe he'll post it !

Fingers crossed !!

Hello Annie,

I try to send the Times newspaper list since this evening, impossible

someone to help us please !

Michel