Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Last Absolution of the Munsters'

Mark Hone

Grace, Marina,

I note with pleasure that my remark does not leave you indifferent. Indeed, MANTANIA was not present but father GLEESON was to him there

Michel

For Michel and Marina,

As Michel states, "father GLEESON was there".

Father Gleeson kept a diary which he wrote up at end of the day, in his words he wrote -

"We march out from Tombe Willot (Locon) about 900 strong, our Commanding Officer being Major Rickard and the Adjutant, Captain Filgate - two of the kindliest men I have come across. We leave about 7.00. The scenes of enthusiasm are outstanding. I ride my horse. Give Absolution to Batt. during rest on road. Opposite La Couture Church between the shrine of 'N.D. de la Bonne Mort' (Notre de dame de la Bonne Mort) and another shrine we have another rest. The men all sing hymns 'Hail Great St. Patrick'. I go further up - near the trenches and bid good bye to all. So Sad !!."

His placement of the event is the clue that I am sure Michel worked from. It is indeed a moment for reflection.

Michel helped me to identify the place names mentioned by Father Gleeson in his diary.

The entry for Wednesday 12th reads as follows -

"It was so sad to see scores of dead lying in the cemetery last night - awaiting burial. There in the twilight and after the din of battle had ceased, all was so mournful, so awful !!. What an impression it must make in my mind, whether I like it or not !!. Barry the hero of Capt. Hawkes rescue was among those I buried, Capt. Considine and a draft arrived today. He is an R.C. Harcourt and myself went to W.Corner [Windy Corner] in evening and were arrested as spies by the Worcesters. We went to the trenches and I read service over all the R.C.’s bodies and blessed graves. H. held a flash lamp for the book."

German troops posing as English troops periodically tried to infiltrate British Lines.

I have a copy of that page of Father Gleeson's diary.

Sullivan.

post-148-1171433018.jpg

For Michel and Marina,

The men all sing hymns 'Hail Great St. Patrick'. I go further up - near the trenches and bid good bye to all. So Sad !!."

"It was so sad to see scores of dead lying in the cemetery last night - awaiting burial. There in the twilight and after the din of battle had ceased, all was so mournful, so awful !!.

A terrible and moving story. What do we draw from it. Soldiers facing death, the world over, and throughout time, are particularly vulnerable to taking comfort in the word of God or seeking solace from Mary. And it is poignant beyond tears to witness such scenes. Here, a Christian regiment, drawn from the rural areas of one of the most devout Catholic countries in Europe, gather on the eve of battle to seek absolution from their sins before advancing to kill their enemies. And yet the word of God was useless to them, the blessings of Mary were as nought, for they fell, the Irish soldiers, slaughtered, in their hundreds. And their enemy, they too would have sought comfort and solace from the same God and from the same Mary- blessings that they kill as many of the Irish as their guns will devour.

Whose side then was God on? For all the Gods and all the shrines and all the priests the slaughter was, as always the work of man. We should not be seduced by images, nor by words, what touches us most about the First World War, is surely the utter waste and slaughter of men. Nothing redeems it. Not God nor Mary nor Art. These wonderful and terrible stories are the structures of our abiding interest in the horror of it all. They are not the primary purpose of our interest, at least I hope not.

Michel, your dedication is very much appreciated.

Living in Australia, so far from the scene of this event, I can still feel the emotion you must have felt.

Fantastic work by you (and your technical advisor), and thanks once again.

Hello Albert Bapaume,

I make as well as possible in memory of all these heroes

friendly

Michel

Annie,

You are right, never let us forget them, there is now a particular link between these heroes whom we do not know and us.

besides I have a small idea in the head on this subject, but that is for much later, one cannot do everything at the same time….

with regard to the stones, I do not have particular information for the moment, but I will seek… and not only for the suspense ;)

Michel

Michel

I think you have the makings of a little book in all this. It deserves a wider audience than even this forum.

Keep up the good work

Edwin

Grace,

do not worry, it is normal, that will pass...

friendly

Michel

James, my dear James from the antipodes,

of course, I agree with your post 251, the thinks related by Father GLESSON much helped me for my work.

you are also absolutly right with your aerial view of the google view of "la rue du Bois", congratulations.

friendly

Michel

Whose side then was God on? For all the Gods and all the shrines and all the priests the slaughter was, as always the work of man.

I can't resist quoting J.C. Squire:

"God heard the embattled nations sing and shout

'Gott strafe England!' and 'God save the King!'

God this, God that, and God the other thing —

'Good God!' said God, 'I've got my work cut out!'"

Wig,

your comment has a philosophical dimension which would deserve a detailed attention.

But, I am afraid which this detailed attention generates a multitude of other questions which would be likely to put at evil the bases of many ideas preconceived with regard to the camps of God, all confused religions, in all the wars of the history… let us not forget that the wars are initially made by the men.

we must be careful in this fields.

Friendly

Michel

Edwin,

why not ?

I already thought of that and for other things also (my research of the 2nd lieutenant R W STEAD for example).

But I believe unfortunately that in fact the time would miss more

Friendly

Michel

For all,

have a look to my signature, I have just supplemented it.

Michel

Checked Google for the words and tune of Hail Great Saint Patrick (as cited in earlier postings). It seems the hymn is "Hail, Glorious Saint Patrick"

Hail, glorious Saint Patrick, dear saint of our Isle,

On us thy poor children bestow a sweet smile;

And now thou art high in the mansions above,

On Erin's green valleys look down in thy love.

On Erin's green valleys, on Erin's green valleys,

Hail, glorious Saint Patrick, thy words were once strong

Against Satan's wiles and an infidel throng;

Not less is thy might where in heaven thou art;

O, come to our aid, in our battle take part.

In the war against sin, in the fight for the faith,

Dear saint, may thy children resist unto death;

May their strength be in meekness, in penance, their prayer,

Their banner the cross which they glory to bear.

Thy people, now exiles on many a shore,

Shall love and revere thee till time be no more;

And the fire thou hast kindled shall ever burn bright,

Its warmth undiminished, undying its light.

Ever bless and defend the sweet land of our birth,

Where the shamrock still blooms as when thou wert on earth,

And our hearts shall yet burn, wherever we roam,

For God and Saint Patrick, and our native home.

Words by Sister Agnes

Even the long-lapsed Catholics in my office remember the words!

Edwin

Can anyone provide a photograph of what the original shrine might have looked like? Best I can do is this:

And does Norte de dame de la Bonne Mort translate as Our Lady of the martyed dead? Did'nt Conan Doyle write a book by that name?

And does Norte de dame de la Bonne Mort translate as Our Lady of the martyed dead?

I'd never thought of that. I've always understood it to mean dying fortified by the rites of the Church - in other words, in a state of absolution. Ironic.

But I may be wrong. Michel?

I too had gooseflesh looking at the photos and seeing the orchard; then there was Glesson saying prayers over the dead by flashlight;and then there was the thought of la bonne mort...after all these years, it still seems fresh and real now, thnaks to Michel's research and everyone else chipping in.

God has nothing to do with starting wars - but he must have care of all the poor souls. The soldiers have the right to ask for that.

Marina

James, my dear James from the antipodes,

of course, I agree with your post 251, the thinks related by Father GLESSON much helped me for my work.

you are also absolutly right with your aerial view of the google view of "la rue du Bois", congratulations.

friendly

Michel

Michel,

Re post 251, thank you.

This has been an interesting journey and has raised much debate so many years after the event. How much better off would be our world if we could live in peace and harmony. The wealth of countries spent on supporting armies of destruction that could be better spent on the welfare of all mankind.

We have to thank you Michel for your time and patience in in taking us on that historical journey.

James.

I've been thinking about the bonne mort:

to die absolved and in a state of grace?

to die bravely, when you were afraid you woudn't?

to die for a cause you belived in?

to die quickly and cleanly?

Marina

hi all,

Wig, "Notre-Dame de la bonne mort"has nothing to do with the novel of Conan Doyle which was called our lady of dead I believe.

Marina, your explanation about the origin of the name of "Notre-Dame de la bonne mort" is the maid, to die decently, without suffering, with dignity, provided with Blessed Sacraments etc….

James it is true, the wars are initially a terrible waste in human lives and also a ruin for the countries which carry out them, and all this money spent to destroy could be used for good of other things, but the wars are also caused or maintained by those which live trade of the weapons and all the military material…. I fear extremely that they will never cease because the man is too covetous. is not said it not that the wars are made by people who do not know each other for people who know each other, the First World War is a shouting example.

Michel

Hello Annie,

I think that the architecture and the size of the chapel built in the beginning were to strongly approach of that of Hébuterne that you show us. It indeed has the typical aspect of the chapels built in the north of France at the 19th century, it exists about it still much in our landscaps, apart from the zones of fighting, which are still in their original state of construction.

Moreover, I also believe that the chapel of 1929 had to be rebuilt in a size and an aspect very close to the first. I hope much in the days which come to find you a drawing or a photograph of it before the war.

god can hear me

Michel

I found this ..... I don't know if it's relevant or not ............. <_<

Scott, Frederick George / On the Rue Du Bois

[1914-1918]

On the Rue Du Bois

O pallid Christ within this broken shrine,

Not those torn Hands and not that Heart of

Thine

Have given the nations blood to drink like wine.

Through weary years and 'neath the changing

skies,

Men turned their back on those appealing Eyes

And scorned as vain Thine awful Sacrifice.

Kings with their armies, children in their play,

Have past unheeding down this shell-ploughed

way,

The great world knew not where its true

strength lay.

In pomp and luxury, in lust of gold,

In selfish ease, in pleasures manifold,

" Evil is good, good evil," we were told.

Yet here, where nightly the great flare-lights

gleam,

And murder stalks triumphant in their beam,

The world has wakened from its empty dream.

At last, 0 Christ, in this strange, darkened land,

Where ruined homes lie round on every hand,

Life's deeper truths men come to understand.

For lonely graves along the country side,

Where sleep those brave hearts who for others

died,

Tell of life's union with the Crucified.

And new light kindles in the mourner's eyes,

Like day-dawn breaking through the rifted skies,

For Life is born of life's self-sacrifice.

FREDERICK GEORGE SCOTT.

[Retrinted from " Tihe Timmmes," by Permmmissionm]

S.P.O.K. NO. 150A.

http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/H...&isize=text

Frederick George Scott was born April 7th., 1861, in Montreal. A graduate of Bishop's College, Lennoxville, Quebec, he was rector of St. Matthew's Anglican Church in Quebec City from 1889 to 1934, except for the First World War, when he served as senior chaplain for the First Canadian Division. Subsequent to the War, he wrote his memoirs of it, The Great War As I Saw It (1922). A repertoire of his poetry was published under the title, "Collected Poems", in 1934. On January 19th., 1944, just shy of his 83rd. Birthday, he died in Quebec City.

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/19857

the First Canadian Division were involved in the Battle of Festubert ( so maybe his poem was written the week after The Absolution ?? )

Battle of Festubert was an attack by the British army on the Ypres salient of the western front during World War I. It began on May 15, 1915 and continued until May 25. This is sometimes also called the battle of Aubers.

The attack was made by the British First Army under Sir Douglas Haig against a German salient between Neuve Chapelle to the north and the village of Festubert to the south. The assault was planned along a three mile front, and would initially be made mainly by Indian troops. This would be the first British army night attack of the war.

The battle was preceded by a 60 hour bombardment by 433 artillery pieces that fired about 100,000 shells. This bombardment failed to significantly damage the front line defenses of the German Sixth Army, but the initial advance made some progress in good weather conditions. The attack was renewed on the 16th, and by the 19th the British 2nd and 7th divisions had to be withdrawn due to heavy losses.

On the 18th the Canadian Division, assisted by the 51st (Highland) Division, renewed the advance, but this made little progress in the face of effective German artillery fire. The British forces then entrenched themselves at the new front line in conditions of heavy rain. The Germans now brought up more reserves to reinforce their lines.

From May 20 until the 24th the attack was renewed, resulting in the capture of the village of Festubert. However the total offensive had only netted 1 km of advance, at a cost of 16,000 casualties.

Annie,

it is very interesting ;) more especially as Festubert is really very close to "la rue du Bois", just at the end of "la rue de l'Epinette".

"la rue du Bois" was a path obliged for all the troops movements because it was just behind the lines.

I have a little difficulty of translating the poem into French, because of syntax, but I believe to have understood some essence.

Michel

hi all,

Wig, "Notre-Dame de la bonne mort"has nothing to do with the novel of Conan Doyle which was called our lady of dead I believe.

I, know that Michel, but like you he was a great inspiration to others, and a great detective!

wig