Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Last Absolution of the Munsters'

Mark Hone

Hi Grace,

no, it is not.

But remember the aerial view and the farm with clear bricks (in square) it was just opposite.

Michel

post-10155-1171151256.jpg

Kim,

be assured that I will not post information which rigorously exact and is not checked.

what explains why some time I need a little time between the posts.

I want to be completely credible until the end.

Michel

Hi Grace,

no, it is not.

But remember the aerial view and the farm with clear bricks (in square) it was just opposite.

Michel

Hi Michel,

Some very interesting photos in your previous posts, thank you for those.

Your post 121 on page 7, quote "At the edge of the road, opposite the farm out of U, an almost perfect grass square: it is to promontoir it about which I spoke to you before and on which the news."

I have marked the what I think is the "grass square" you refer to, am I correct. And was this the location of the Chappelle de N>D> de Seez.

It's just that I have lost the bearings as to where we are.

James.

post-148-1171158691.jpg

james,

the farm is on the post 2O2 and the the promontoir for the reconstruction of the futur new chapel is just behing the tree. It was not the place of the original chapel who was on the border of the old road.

See the last map, there is a catholic cross on the border of the road, it is the chapel rebuilt in 1929 and distroyed for the works of the new road in 197O.

For the moment I do not know if the chapel of 1929 was rebuilt on the foundations of these original built in the 184O . I am checking that.

Michel

Michel,

I remain speachless at the revelations and investigatory work. Sometimes on this forum I begin to think that nothing is impossible. A new member comes along and mentions that his/her great-gand uncle dropped his pen during an attack on the Somme some time in 1916. Ten posts later along comes a pal wth the pen, recovered in 195XXX and still filled with the original ink...

OK, I exagerate, but frankly I remain awed at the depth of information retained, recovered and displayed.

I came into this thread because I like Matania's work. I had seen it since childhood, with a copy of the Times History of the War, which featured some of his pictures.

The Last Absolution, as many pals have commented, carries a powerful image, and I too readily adopted it as a computer screen backdrop. But now add to this the maps, recollections, memoriabilia and present-day images and we have another forum classic.

Thanks to all who are contributing, and to Michel and the local pals who have broadened the scope of Mark Horne's original post.

I look forward to more.

Ian

I think michel knockaert should be promoted to Field Marshall with immediate effect for the most outstanding contribution for many many months....

wig

Ian, Wig,

thank you very much for your kind messages.

Ian, you made well recall that it is Mark Hone which launched this thread a long ago already, I have just sent a small personal message to him to know if it returned to read it since August 2005 bus can be it did not see it evolution.

Wig, you do to me much honor by your proposal of progession in the rank… ;)

Michel

James,

I am not satisfied with my preceding answer to your questions, I realize that I did not use the right words, I thus will try to be more precise by means of the photograph hereafter.

In fact I should have spoken about the farm out of U and not in square, and about an almost perfect rectangle and not about a square to promontoir it.

I ask you to agree to excuse me.

My son taught me this afternoon to add reference marks on the photographs, I think that that will be much more speaking for everyone.

Red arrow : the farm out of U (also the farm in clear bricks)

Bue arrow : the almost perfect grass rectangle for the promontoir (for the futur new chapel).

Am I clear now ?

Michel

post-10155-1171229456.jpg

to continue, on the map of 1961 :

red arrow : the farm out of U (farm in clear bricks)

blue arrow : the chapel built in 1929

Michel

post-10155-1171230349.jpg

to continue, on the map of 1961 :

red arrow : the farm out of U (farm in clear bricks)

blue arrow : the chapel built in 1929

Michel

Michel,

Many thanks for the overlay pointers, I am back on track now.

Cheers,

James.

Annie,

I still have problems with my PC but I hope that this evening I will be able to post an aerial view with the approximate place of the chapel (re)built in 1929...

Friendly

Michel

post-10155-1171316527.jpg

Yes Marina at the points of the arrows !

do you still want more ?

the thread is well quiet tonight !!!

Michel

for all,

here is a very important piece of the puzzle, it acts of a postcard, given by Jean-Marie, showing the chapel Notre-Dame de Seez in its version of 1929.

I am unfortunately unable to say exactly in which year the original photo was taken, but I believe that for te moment that does not have great importance, it is in this state that Madam Colonel RICKARD visited in 1935 and she deposited there the painting according to the original work of MATANIA and who is in the town hall of RICHEBOURG.

James if you look at well with the top of the door, you can see the famous plaque which we seek, with in each corner the mark of fixings, as on the photograph of your Internet site.

I hope you all like this post.

friendly

Michel

post-10155-1171318713.jpg

hello,

see the column or the section of wall out of built bricks, along right of the photography. I know there was no farm or building at this place, which could let think that it would be about a vestige of the first chapel, that which was silent witness of the last absolution of the Munsters, and which was built in 1867, by family LEROY POTTIER in thanks of ............ but that is another history….

Michel

Ok, I admit I haven't been following this thread quite as closely as several others, but can you tell me if I've got this right? The three arrows in the last overhead picture point to the site of the chapel that was rebuilt in 1929, and whose brickwork might have come from the original chapel built sixty years earlier, and also may well have been built on the same site as its predecessor. If the latter is fact, then the site pointed to by the arrows is the chapel site in 'The Last Absolution' and therefore the area below the arrows, that from above looks like a giant lay-by on the outside of the bend in the road, is the area around which the Munsters gathered to receive their Last Absolution. Is that right?

Jon.

for all,

here is a very important piece of the puzzle, it acts of a postcard, given by Jean-Marie, showing the chapel Notre-Dame de Seez in its version of 1929.

[snip]

James if you look at well with the top of the door, you can see the famous plaque which we seek, with in each corner the mark of fixings, as on the photograph of your Internet site.

I hope you all like this post.

friendly

Michel

Michel,

This is an important find and I would like your permission to use the photo on my web site. It has been a remarkable journey through past history and I express my sincere thanks for your detective work.

James.