Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Last Absolution of the Munsters'

Mark Hone

which was built in 1867, by family LEROY POTTIER in thanks of ............ but that is another history….

Which I am so looking forward to hear!

Wonderful stuff again, Michel. Sorry I'm late, but it's bellringing practice night, so I have been in the church.... (and in the pub afterwards) :lol:

Gosh I'm so mad at myself !! I've been just hanging around and at the time of the most exciting reveal .... I wasn't here !!

Michel that's wonderful .... my heart is in my throat .... what an emotional moment !!

Thank you !

Edit .... I just reread your post Michel ..... what is the OTHER story ??

Michel:

You are a true gentleman, sir.

And I know the depth of your heart in these matters. We are both fathers of sons.

Would that all men could be as giving to others as you are.

Andrew Murray

James,

this photography does not belong to me, it is only the result of my research, made in the best possible use on your Internet site.

You can, if you wish it to use the photographs which I put on the thread as of the moment when you will quote their origin as you do usualy and put the link of this thread.

I will send to you the photograph in large size to you if you wish it.

Friendly

Marina,

you are definitely too greedy my dear...but the sin is sometimes so good ...

Michel

Ahhh Annie, my dear Annie,

that I am glad to know that I can get emotions so much to you

and, for the OTHER history, it will be necessary to have patience a little bit, you know it, I must meet a lady centenary soon….

Michel

Andrew, my dear overseas friend,

thank you very much to have devoted part of your invaluable time to consult this thread.

your message touches me much the heart

Michel

Hello "greyhoun" Grace,

happy that you like that and "mieux vaut tard que jamais".

Michel

Marina,

you are definitely too greedy my dear...but the sin is sometimes so good ...

Michel

Sinful I am, Michel! But you know the English saying? 'You cannot have too much of a good thing' - I shall atempt this in schoolgirl French: 'Ce n'est pas possible d'avoir trop d'une chose bonne.'

(laugh if you like!, but I'm sure you catch my maning!)

Marina

I modified my answer made today at 01 06 pm because it did not satisfy me, here the new, with all my excuses for the shift... :

Assumptions Jon , only assumptions ! maybe yes, maybe no !

Read attentively the french text ont the poscard of the chapel :

"[à côté] de laquelle le samedi soir 8 mai 1915 le 2ème Royal Munster Fusiliers commandé par le lieutenant-colonel Victor RICHARD..."

[à côté] in english "at side" do not mean the same that "opposite".

According to the painting of MATANIA and the account of father GLEESON it would seem that the scene was held “opposite” the chapel, maybe on the other side of the road.

Then, at side or opposite ? as william (Shakespeare) would have said "that is the question", nothing is yet sure.

Michel

Michel,

We can also say in English “beside”, which means "close to". You could say that, in the painting, the men are standing opposite the chapel, while Father Gleeson and the officers are beside it. That would make sense. After all, the chapel has four sides ...

:)

Right, Marina, we must remember that Matania painted it from a description; and of course the shrine in the picture is from his imagination, and not painted from life. He would never have seen the real one.

We are both lurking here, hoping for more, aren't we ...

Grace, Marina,

I note with pleasure that my remark does not leave you indifferent. Indeed, MANTANIA was not present but father GLEESON was to him there

Michel

I was just reading the beginning of the thread ........

Post # 16 Liam says .........

At a French wayside shrine, Rickard halted the the Battalion and formed a hollow square before it On three sides were the rifle companies, and facing them on horseback were Col. Rickard, his adjutant, Capt. Filgate and the Chaplain, Father Gleeson.

A footnote says:The scene was well captured on canvas by Fortunino Matania from a description obtained by Mrs. Rickard

How about if two of the sides that formed the hollow square .... were really butted up either side of the shrine ??

Just a thought !

I heard a phrase today .... that seemed to call to me ......

"We may not know who you are ..... but I promise we'll never forget you ! "

For all,

after discussion with my technical adviser (she will recognize herself) here the photographs under various angles of what is most probably the orchard in which Munsters took place to receive the last absolution.

I let to you meditate and I hope that you are as upset as me when I took these photographs, I had the “goose flesh” while thinking of all these little guys which had left towards death and the suffering, almost 92 years earlier, of the place or I was…

Michel

post-10155-1171410239.jpg

others views

post-10155-1171410593.jpg

other view

post-10155-1171410772.jpg

other view

post-10155-1171410834.jpg

other view

post-10155-1171410993.jpg

other view

post-10155-1171411256.jpg

Michel, your dedication is very much appreciated.

Living in Australia, so far from the scene of this event, I can still feel the emotion you must have felt.

Fantastic work by you (and your technical advisor), and thanks once again.

Thank you Michel ......

it's amazing how we can all feel about a field !! :(

people probably just pass by - not knowing the significence of it !!

What can you tell us about the stones ? or are you going to keep us in suspense about them for a while ??

Annie