Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Last Absolution of the Munsters'

Mark Hone

Thanks

Can you find anything about Rev P D Devas OFM (Philip Dominic) ?

Medal card of Devas, Reverend Philip Dominic

Corps Regiment No Rank

Army Chaplain's Department Reverend

Chaplains to the Force Honorary Chaplain

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/6

Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies

Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War

Piece Denham W - Everitt H

Image contains 1 medal card of many for this collection

A

Sorry, Wrong Rev Devas - that one was Philip Devas' brother... Apologies.

Rev Philip Dominic Devas

Temporary Chaplain to the Forces, 4th Class - 31st January (corercted from 5th February 1915)

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

with date corrected here.

The undermentioned temp. Chaplns. to the Forces, 4th Cl., to be temp. Chaplns. to the Forces, 3rd Cl. (without increase of pay or allowances), whilst acting as Senior Chaplns. to the Forces (Non. C. of E.) of Divs. 18th Feb. 1917: —

The Revs.—

F. C. Devas.

P. D. Devas.

N. M. Wright.

(Promoted on the same day as his brother)

Steve.

In an attempt to clarify :

1. The IWM on line catalogue is very much a work in progress - there will be many 1,000s of images still to be added. The Ref is Q11434.

2. In 'Tommy' Prof Holmes has captioned the picture 'Burial in a Trench, 1916. As far as I can establish Fr. Gleeson was not in France in 1916, as he had returned home to Ireland.

3. The same photograph apears in 'The Church of England in the First World War' by Alan Wilkinson. In this book it is captioned 'A chaplain conducting a burial service in the trenches 1918. Imperial War Museum Copyright.

The photograph would seem to be taken on a date after 1916 when steel helmets were commonly in use.

[snip]

I would sugest that Sullivan contacts the IWM direct to establish the date of the photograph.

The photograph sent to me is attached under. I have reduced the photograph in size and added the caption to the right that accompanied the photo. Note the caption 'A Chaplain attached to the Royal Munster Fusiliers....'

The source of this photo was never revealed to me but it also appeared in the Spring Issue, 1998, No. 12 journal of the Royal Munster Fusiliers Association. The caption reads 'Father Gleeson Administering the Last Rites'. No other text accompanied the photo other than the name of the person who submitted the photo.

It would now seem the photo did the rounds under various captions. My investigation continues to identify the person in the photo, but to appearances at this point in time it seems like Gleeson. Compare to the photo in post 70. http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...6423&st=60#

While the patch on the shoulder may indicate the 16th Irish Division, the profile of the shamrock (slightly larger)was used by the Munster Fusiliers well before the period of the Great War, and just maybe if the person in the photo is Father Gleeson, perhaps he wore the Munster's shamrock as a symbol of his 'Irishness', but that's conjecture on my part, sometimes fact is stranger than fiction !.

Sullivan.

post-148-1173639460.jpg

While the patch on the shoulder may indicate the 16th Irish Division, the profile of the shamrock (slightly larger)was used by the Munster Fusiliers well before the period of the Great War, and just maybe if the person in the photo is Father Gleeson, perhaps he wore the Munster's shamrock as a symbol of his 'Irishness', but that's conjecture on my part, sometimes fact is stranger than fiction !.

Sullivan.

The photo under, three Munster Fusiliers in Rangoon Burma circa 1912. The dark green shamrock was used as the background to the Munster badge. Also the Munster's hackle, white over green

Sullivan.

post-148-1173641098.jpg

Hi all

I was all the day with the Munsters in different cemeteries of Pas-de-Calais and Somme

Here is the photograph of the both graves, with "Cabaret Rouge", of Victor RICKARD and William HEWETT

KIA on May 9 1915 with Aubers Ridge.

I cried much today, the both men brothers in death, I was destabilzed.

Michel

post-10155-1173652307.jpg

Noeux les Mines Communal Cemetery, with the grave of Captain Thomas William FILGATE, KIA September 29 1915, who was also with l'épinette for the last absolution.

Michel

post-10155-1173652825.jpg

No suprise you shed tears, Michel. That must have been very moving. But think of all the work you are doing which helps preserve their names.

Bless you,

Marina

You are right Marina, is it a great satisfaction

See now the grave of Private Joseph LEAHY, few meters beside his Colonel and his Captain, without distinction of rank.... very moving too....

Michel

post-10155-1173655443.jpg

And now, again few meters beside, Private Christopher BARRY, also KIA may 9 1915, who gave his life trying to save Captain HAWKES who him recovered from his wounds.

Michel

post-10155-1173655903.jpg

Thank you very much Michel!

For all your beautiful photos .......... it's wonderful for the rest of us who have no chance to go there !

Annie

thank you very much Annie,

today my eyes replaced yours to see and cry, and my heart also replaced yours to bleed…

here, lit by the rising sun fall Major John William CONSIDINE's grave, promoted on May 5, 1915, a few day before the attack of Aubers, he was also there for the last absolution

He is buried in Dud Corner Cemetery with LOOS EN GOHELLE.

Michel

post-10155-1173657212.jpg

and finally to finish this evening, Captain Colin Herbert CARRIGAN, KIA on September 2 1918, a few weeks before the end of the hostilities, buried in St Martin Calvaire British Cemetery, with St Martin sur cojeul.

post-10155-1173658460.jpg

thank you very much Annie,

today my eyes replaced yours to see and cry, and my heart also replaced yours to bleed…

here, lit by the rising sun fall Major John William CONSIDINE's grave, promoted on May 5, 1915, a few day before the attack of Aubers, he was also there for the last absolution

He is buried in Dud Corner Cemetery with LOOS EN GOHELLE.

Michel

Michel,

My sincere thank you for the photos you have provided.

Below report on the Considine wedding, from the Munster Fusiliers 'Old Comrades Association' journal printed circa ????. Happier times before a great sadness came upon the families. I have confirmed the year was 1912 as none was mentioned in the report.

"Mr. Considine's Wedding. [Tralee, County Kerry, Ireland. September 1912]

On September 18th Mr. J. W. Considine was married in St. John's Church to Miss Kathleen Law, second daughter of Mr. W. B. Law, County Inspector, R. I. C. of Ballyard, Tralee.

The church, which was very prettily decorated, was thronged. The bride was given away by her father, and was attended by two bridesmaids, the Misses Maud and Mabel Law (sisters). The best man was Mr. Hugh Considine, 9th Batt. (Highlanders) Royal Scots, and Mr. Frank Considine, 4th Batt. Royal Scots Edinburgh Rifles, acted as groomsman.

The marriage ceremony was performed by the Rev. Hugh Considine, uncle of the bridegroom, assisted by the Very Rev. Dean O'Sullivan, P.P., V.G., and Rev. T. Finnucane. C.C.

The bride's dress was of ivory satin, trimmed with Limerick lace and seed pearls. She wore a wreath of orange blossoms and a bunch of orange blossoms and white heather. She carried a sheaf of white lilies and horseshoe violets, and a silver 'Dorothy Bag'. Her ornament was a beautiful aquamarine and pearl pendant, the gift of the bridegroom. The bridesmaids wore pale blue satin dresses with lace tunies, and black picture hats with pale blue feathers. They wore very pretty amethysts and pearl pendants, and carried bouquets of pink roses, the gifts of the bridegroom.

After the marriage ceremony, the bridal party marched down the centre of the church while Mendelssohn's wedding march was being played, and passed under an arch of swords formed outside the church by the officers of the Royal Irish Constabulary, Army Service Corps, Royal Munster Fusiliers, and a large number of men of the regiment. At the end of the arch was a motor, into which the bride and bridegroom entered, and started off amidst heartiest cheers, which rose from thousands of onlookers, showing the great popularity of the bride and bridegroom.

Immediately after a reception was held at Ballard. The guests, numbering 200, were received in the drawing room, and the wedding presents were shown in the dinning room, where they formed a magnificent display. Refreshments were served in a large marquee on the lawn at the side of the house, and the band of the Royal Munster Fusiliers played a very choice selection of music on the front lawn. The health of the bride was proposed in felicitous terms by Mr. Francis Mc. Deny, and heartily responded to. The scene at Ballard was a very cheery one, as the day was perfect, everyone seeming to take great delight in the happy event, and the bright uniforms mingled with the many pretty dresses's presented a very gay and lively picture.

Early in the afternoon the happy pair left by motor, kindly lent by Mr. Robert FitzGerald, amidst loud and hearty cheers, and motored to Gortatlea, where they joined the train en route for Scotland......."

I have the wedding party photo, to be posted shortly, I am just sorting the names of those in the photo which includes H. H. Considine, P.F. Considine ( probably brothers but not confirmed) and Major Paul Charrier of Etreux fame. (The above report and photo was sent to me courtesy of J. Trafford some months ago.)

The following information has come to me this morning (Aust. time) courtesy of Mr. G. Limmer who's father-in-law is compiling information about RMF officers.

"Considine, John William, Captain (given as Major in Our Heros) killed in action in France, 25th September 1915.

Captain Considine passed through Sandhurst and was gazetted to the Royal Munster Fusiliers in April 1902. He served with his regiment at Gibralter and India, where he took part in the North-West Frontier expedition on 1907, receiving the India General Service Medal with bar. He had also served with the 1st Battalion in Burma, and altogether had 13.5 years’ service.

He went to France in April 1915, and was in command of the 2nd Battalion for 4.5 months. Captain Considine married in 1912, Kathleen N. second daughter of William B. Law, 20 Royal Terrace, Kingstown, County Dublin"

Sullivan.

And now, again few meters beside, Private Christopher BARRY, also KIA may 9 1915, who gave his life trying to save Captain HAWKES who him recovered from his wounds.

Michel

Further to Michel's post and my thanks for the photo of this grave, an extract from Father Gleeson's diary for Wednesday 12 May 1915 -

'What an impression it must make in my mind, whether I like it or not !!. Barry the hero of Capt. Hawkes rescue was among those I buried, Capt. Considine and a draft arrived today. He is an R.C.'

post-148-1173667390.jpg

James,

Many thanks for these precious informations.

When can we see the photograph of the wedding ? the description is wonderfull !

What is please the meaning of "he is an R.C." ?

Friendly

Michel

Roman Catholic, I believe, Michel.

Steve.

Roman Catholic, I believe, Michel.

Steve.

Many thanks Steve,

In first I believed that it was just a military abreviation !

Friendly

Michel

James,

Friendly

Michel

Michel,

Sorry for the shorthand - R.C. , Steve is correct, and I confirm Roman Catholic.

I should have the photo and names ready before end of this day (Tuesday March 13).

Cheers,

Sullivan.

James,

Friendly

Michel

Michel,

The wedding photo as promised.

The wedding of Captain John William Considine, Royal Munster Fusiliers, and Kathleen Law.

September 18th, 1912 in St. John's Church, Tralee, County Kerry, Ireland.

The photo is not best quality. It is hoped a better image can be obtained as the person who sent me the image and marriage report, does not have a scanner capable of setting filters to reduce printers screen lines. (Photo source RMF Old Comrades journal, print date not known at moment.) The journal was owned by the person's grandfather, he served in the Royal Munster Fusiliers.

1st row: Bride and Groom.

2nd row count from left:

(5) Best man. Lieut. H.H. Considine 9th (Highlanders) Royal Scots. (John's brother).

(6) Guest. Major P.A. Charrier Royal Munster Fusiliers. (Etreux action).

(7) Father of bride. County Inspector W.B. Law, Royal Irish Constabulary.

(10) Groomsman. Lieut. P.F. Considine 4th Royal Scots (Edinburgh Rifles).

With the outbreak of World War One came casualties.

Major John William Considine 2nd battalion Royal Munster Fusiliers. Aged 30. Killed in action 25th September, 1915. Buried in Dud Corner Cemetery grave reference VII. E. 15. (photo right Dud Corner). Husband of Kathleen Considine (nee Law), 20, Royal Terrace West, Kingstown, Ireland.

By May of 1915 Captain John William Considine was holding rank of Major with the 2nd battalion in France. After the action at Rue Du Bois the 2nd battalion suffered heavy casualties. Major Considine was called on to rebuild the battalion. Sadly during an engagement in the Loos sector he became a casualty.

Brother of above. Lieutenant Patrick Francis Considine, 4th battalion Royal Scots. Aged 22. Killed in action 12th July, 1915. Buried in the Addolorata Cemetery. Grave/Memorial Reference: E. EA. A. 651.

Both the sons of William and Kate Considine (nee Mellon), of 2, Alvanley Terrace, Edinburgh.

Major Paul Alfred Charrier was also killed in action on the 27th August 1914 while leading three companies of the 2nd battalion Munster Fusiliers during the Etreux rear-guard action. He is buried in the Etreux cemetery.

Below list of those in photo.

RIC=Royal Irish Constabulary. ASC=Army Service Corps. RMF= Royal Munster Fusiliers. RS=Royal Scots. ER=Edinburgh Rifles.

2nd row from left.

(1) C.E. Beirne RIC. (2) Brian Cope ASC. (3) C.H. Cheesman RIC.

(4) Capt. C.A. Knapp RMF. (5) Lieut. H.H. Considine 9th (Highlanders) RS.

(6) Major P.A. Charrier RMF. (7) C.I. W.B. Law RIC. (8) Capt. R.M. Mason RMF.

(9) Capt. P.T. Foley 3rd RMF. (10) Lieut. P.F. Considine 4th RS (ER).

(11) Capt. A.G. Power 3rd RMF. (12) Capt. W.Mc.E. Crosbie RMF.

(13) G.F. Foley RIC. (14) Capt. O'Connor RMF.

3rd row from left.

(1) Capt. W.J. Meradith 3rd RMF. (2) A. Macdonel RIC. (3) Capt. A.A. Knight 3rd RMF. (4)

Capt. L. Sealy King 4th RMF. (5) Capt. J.F. Massy-Westrop 3rd RMF.

(6) *Lieut. E. W. Gower RMF. (7) Capt A. Gorham RMF. (8) Lieut. T.G. Eustace 4th RMF.

*Lieut. Erasmus William Gower was with the 2nd battalion RMF at Etreux and was taken prisoner of war. He was the son of Catherine Vans Gower (nee Agnew) and Capt. Erasmus Gower (died 29 May 1914), of Castle Malgwyn, Wales.

During WW1 Mrs. Catherine Gower was Secretary of the RMF Prisoners of War Fund. The fund was started in 1914 with the object of providing the NCO’s and men with good wholesome food, clothes and smokes. Numerous adverts appeared in the ‘Times’ funded by Mrs. Gower. She died 14 September 1939 aged 84.

Sullivan

post-148-1173897436.jpg

which fabulous document James,I have the goose flesh of it

Sunday I was with loos on the grave of this young groom without about it knowing much of thing.

Today I can put a face on his name, I am submerged by the emotion

Thank you very much

very friendly

Michel

Thank you for the photo and description Sullivan !

"The bride's dress was of ivory satin, trimmed with Limerick lace and seed pearls. She wore a wreath of orange blossoms and a bunch of orange blossoms and white heather. She carried a sheaf of white lilies and horseshoe violets, and a silver 'Dorothy Bag'. Her ornament was a beautiful aquamarine and pearl pendant, the gift of the bridegroom"

What memories the bride would be able to keep of that wonderful day ..... how sad !

Do you happen to know who the rest of the soldiers are on that photo ? or are they unknown !!

Annie

Thank you for the photo and description Sullivan !

Do you happen to know who the rest of the soldiers are on that photo ? or are they unknown !!

Annie

For Annie and other Forum Members,

Yes I have the full list of names, I did not include all as I was trying to keep the file size within the regulations. However I am happy to post all the names and will do so shortly. Annie forgive my ignorance, do you recognize the description, 'Dorothy Bag', can you enlighten me please.

To all the other members who have posted comments re the wedding photo and report, my thanks for the comments they are appreciated.

Sullivan.