Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

robwilliams

Alec

There are quite a few men with the surname Shilvock in the medal index cards. F Shilvock is listed. You will find out what medals he was entitled to, but not much else.

To be honest I doubt if you will find much info.

Regards

Terry

hello Margaret

Not much else I can tell you regarding J P Wainwright other than he is commemorated on the Tyne Cot memorial, which you probably know.

I have not got any list with a H G Sheridan on it. There 638 medal index cards to men with the surname Sheridan but none have the initials H G.

Sorry

Terry

Thanks Terry ! That's very much appreciated

Could you possibly check for another name for me - my dad's brother, his name was Frank LUCKMAN and he was born around 1890

Many thanks.

Best Wishes,

Margaret

Hi Margaret

There was a Lance Corporal F Luckman No.2496 of the Royal Warwicks (battalion unknown) his name appeared in the wounded list published in the Birmingham Daily Post on 27 Sept 1916. However I cannot guarantee he is the same person.

Regards

Terry

I hope Terry or someone can help with this chap.

Edward William Harry Harknett. I think he was a Lance Corporal and know he survived the war.

I don't know which battalion he served in or anything else about his war service.

Any information will, as ever be gratefully recieved.

Thank you in anticipation

Alec

Hi Rob

Thanks for the offer to search your data base. Have you any info on Lance Corporal GARNET MORRIS 1/6 Royal Warwicks, regimental number 242685. He was killed in action on 16th April 1917 and is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial.

Regards

Clare

Clare

Soldiers Died in the Great War gives the info that he formerly served in the Worcester Regt with a service number 17757.

He was born and lived at Great Rissington, Gloucestershire

Regards

Terry

For Alec

Can I ask why the interest in Edward William Harry Harknett ?

There was a Sgt Edward H Harknett (known as 'Ted') No.685 who served in the 2nd Birmingham Battalion (15th Royal Warwicks). He served in C Company, No.11 platoon. He was wounded during the latter stages of the Somme battle (probably Morval) and his name appeared in the Birmingham Daily Post casualty list on 30 October, 1916. He finished the war as R.Q.M.S.

In 1922 he was a member of 'C' Company 1914-15 Club, 2nd Birmingham Bn.

His address was 246 St Vincent Street, Ladywood, Birmingham

If this his your man, then I probably have a photo of him.

Regards

Terry

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the information.

Yeah, this sounds like him. I know his daughter who is desperate to find out more about him. His medals and other memorabilia were stolen from her mother in the 1970's during a burglary I think.

All she recalls is that he was wounded. I have a couple poor quality copies of photographs of him, the first is him in hospital blues and the other is him in full uniform and on a horse.

I'm sure I could arrange to send you some copies if you are interested although I will need your address if you will pass it to me off-line.

In the meantime, if you have any further information on him, I would be most grateful

Thanks

Alec

Alec

Theres not much more I can tell you about him.

The photograph below is taken from my book 'Birmingham Pals'. I just took a snap of it with my digital camera. I will try and sort out the picture and do a better scan tomorrow. Sgt Ted Harknett is standing on the left. The picture was taken in the summer of 1917.

Regards

Terry

post-2-1105297673.jpg

Terry

Attached are three photographs of Ted Harknett, courtesy of his daughter (I hope they come out!). You will see that one is the same as the picture you posted. You may be interested to know that apparently Ted is on the right, not the left as you indicated.

Thanks for your help

Alec

Ted5_jpg.htm

Terry

Do you have any information on 16291 l/Sgt. Lewis Nixon of the 9th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment who won the M.S.M. in Transcaspia in 1919.

I believe that this "Mallenson Mission" MSM for Transcaspia is unique to the regiment only one company of the 9th Warwick's in krasnovodsk. In fact most of the Mallenson Mission troops where colonials so his MSM could be unique to the British Army.

Any further information on him greatfully received.

Many thanks

Paul.

Paul

I have contacted my Mate Kevan Darby (a member of this Forum) He is compiling a mass of research on the 9th Royal Warwicks. If he finds anything I will let you know.

By the way could Lewis Nixon have had a brother?

In the Royal Warwicks Casualty list published in the Birmingham Daily Post on 10 May, 1917 there is an Pte A Nixon 16292 wounded.

The next service number up from Lewis.

Regards

Terry

Thanks Terry

sounds like to much of a coincidence, off I go on another tangent I love this hobby!

Please let me know if Kevan turns anything up. I have L/SGT Nixon's MSM in superb condition with the original issue letter and London Gazette details. His BWM/Victory must be out there somewhere. Would love to reunite them.

Best regards

Paul

KINGSMAN64

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rob - Terry.

Can you help me by checking your data base for info on William Kendrick of the Royal Warwickshire Battalion RGA

He was from Wednesbury-Walsall.

Did the Local papers at the time of WW1 print the names of the locals who had enlisted. I no my Gt grandfather William was injured during the war. Did the local press report on all casualties of the War.

Does the data base tell of the locations the Btn - Regt was at. If so could you see if they were in La bassee in Oct - Dec 1915.

Thanks Gwyn.

Afterthought could this data base not be put on a disc and sold via the web-sight I am sure it would sell like hot cakes, and would give back something for all the work it must have taken in the research field.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Frank Saunders

Rob / Terry,

Could you help me with any information about my Gt Uncle Pte. Arthur Tom Saunders 35431 1st Btn. Royal Warwickshire Regiment. I know from the CWG site that he died on 15/4/1918 and is commemorated on the Polegsteert Memorial. He originally came from Bedminster, Bristol and was born in 1899. I have been informed that he joined up in Bristol but i do not know a date. I have no idea where he served, or how he was killed. If you could shed any light I would be very grateful.

Kind regards

Frank Saunders

• 3 weeks later...
Guest michael_ingram

Hi Rob, on my father's Attestation Form for the Territorial Army in 1914 he states that he has previously served as a cadet in the 1st Cadet Batalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

On his Short Service Form, which is badly damaged there is something that looks like 8th Warwickshire

His name was Alfred Ingram reg number before first form: 709, later 74110

Is there anything referring to Dad on your database and/or can you add any information. Many thanks

Mike

• 1 month later...

Terry

Do you have any information on 14/1230 Frances L. Jones M.M., his MM was gazetted 11/11/16?

Many thanks

Fred

Pte F L Jones 1230 served in D Company, 14 platoon and he is listed as being wounded in the casualty list published in the Birmingham Daily Post on 14 June 1916.

Thats all the info I have. Hope its OK.

Regards

Terry

Hello Frank Saunders

Have no info regarding Arthur Tom Saunders except for this extract taken from the book 'The Story of the Royal Warwickshire Regt by C L Kingsford. According to the Soldiers Died 51 men of the 1st Royal warwicks were killed on 15 April 1918.

Regards

Terry

post-66-1112628279.jpg

Pte F L Jones 1230 served in D Company, 14 platoon and he is listed as being wounded in the casualty list published in the Birmingham Daily Post on 14 June 1916.

Terry

All leads are good in my book! Thanks very much, If i turn up any more I'll let you know.

Regards

Fred

Rob

Do you have anything on 2nd Lt Ernest Ronald Shuttleworth?

He was killed in action on the first day of the Somme with the 8th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

I am aware that he was commissioned into the Warwickshires from the Royal Naval Division but have no details of his service with the Regiment.

A photograph of him would be a real bonus.

Regards

Mark

Mark,

Apologies for the somewhat strange posting!

I used to live in Nether Edge (17yrs ago) and I recall seeing this name on an overgrown grave in the disused cemetery which I used to pass en route to the pub. If I remember rightly, it was on his father's grave not far from the church. Were you aware of this?

Regards,

AGWR

Hi Rob,

Do you have any information on the following please:-

194 Sgt E.C.W. RHODES, R War R. [DETAILS FROM WW1 PAIR]

5094066 Sgt E.C.W. RHODES, R War R [DETAILS FROM ARMY LSGC]

Ian.

In the list published in the Birmingham Daily post on 23 Feb 1915 it has Drummer E Rhodes 194 instead of the usual wd or kia next to the name it had "rejoined." Thats a new one on me. Hope it helps.

Regards

Terry

Dear Mark,

Some details of 2/Lt. Ernest Ronald Shuttleworth are as below,

He was born in Sheffield on 21/6/1894. And he was killed in action on 1/7/16. His height was 5 ft 7.25 ins.

He was educated at the Quenford House School, Jersey. His civil occupation was Chartered Accountants' Articled Clerk. He was a son of Mr. Thomas Ernest Shuttleworth and Mrs. Edith Shuttleworth of 5 Park Avenue, Riverdale Road, Sheffield. His father's occupation was Accountant.

He originally enlisted to the Royal Naval Division as an Ordinary Seaman. Afterwards, he was commissioned into the 1/8th Bn., R. War. R. on 10/4/15.

Please check the Birmingham Daily Post on 14/7/16 and 28/8/16 if possible...

Thanks,

Taryong