Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

robwilliams

Guest Andrewdouglas

Hello Rob

I have a pair to 3072 Pte T.Sandford R.Warks R. I believe he was in the 9th Bttn. and died in Mesopotamia in 1916. He was from Stratford-upon-Avon (My home town) but does not appear on the town memorial. Can anybody tell me the movements of the 9th Bttn at that time and any additional info.on Pte. Sandford would be appreciated.

Andrew

2 Lieut C.G. Williamson R.W.R.

thanks very much for the additional info Kang.

Might you be able to obtain copies of the Birmingham Daily Post article of 14 Jly 16 & the Weekly Post of 22 Jly 16?

Bryan

Dear Bryan

I have seen short articles and a photo of 2nd Lt. Williamson on the BDP and the BWP at the B'ham Central Library. But, unfortunately, the papers were being kept in a form of microfilm.

If you have got a digital camera, it will be possible to take some photos you need.

Regards,

Kang

Hi, do you think you could help me , please?

My grandpa was in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment and earned the Silver Medal for Valour. His name is in the London Gazette supplement of 11th March 1919.

His name was George Rae , his rank ( on the medal card) was lieutenant but in the gazette is Temp 2nd Lieutenant and his number 143591.

Can you give me any idea of how he earned this medal, or where he was at the time? Who issues/ puts one forward for, the silver medal for valour?

His medal card has lots of entries in the remarks column which I can't fathom;

Comm 21 (or may be 31)/10/17

EF/9 (or possibly 4)3826

179499 extracted to ?/9/1305

NW/7/2146 ? to H (possibly?) and then some numbers which may be a date 6/4/20

Any help would be much appreciated as I don't seem to be getting far with the online records.

Many thanks

He was awarded the 'Silver Medal for Military Valour' which was an Italian Award. The gazzette date was 11 March 1919.

The 143 Infantry Brigade (48th Div) saw action at the end of the war in Italy (Assiago Plateau area) This comprised of the 1/5th, 1/6th, and 1/7th Royal Warwicks.

Terry Carter

Lieut C.G. Williamson R.W.R.

Hi Kang,

Apologies for slow response. I dont seem to be getting the email notifications that there has been a response.

However, I cannot take pics of those microfilm records as I am in Canada!

Bryan

Can anybody help me please. I am trying to confirm that 3746 Thomas Price of the Royal Warwickshires was my great-uncle. My uncle was born in Sutton Coldfield and he would have been 31 or 32 at the time of this soldier's death on 26 September 1915.

Any information gratefully received.

Hi Rob

I would be grateful for any info on 15/97 Corporal Harry R A Bird 15th Warwicks. He died of wounds on 29/8/16.

Thanks

Andrew

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the amazing reply! I was almost convinced that this was my great uncle but sadly your response confirms that he was not.

Many thanks anyway for your trouble.

Hi Rob

Just discovered your posting re the Royal Warwicks database, what a wonderful task you have undertaken! and an absolute find for me ( having been searching for info since 2002!!)

I wondered if you could very kindly look up my Grandfather??

William Leslie Lilly

Born 18/2/1984, Smethick, Birmingham

Private: 4608 on joining 1/8th Royal Warwicks, 48th (South Midland) Div

Transferred to MGC ? 1918 No 148737. Captured 15/6/1918 at Asiago Plateau

I keep drawing blanks re info about him, perhaps you may have some answers??? Im especially interested to know where he was held captive (I think he was in Austria as I have a photo of him in a POW camp. Hes written on the back- 'POW Camp Austria' .)

Here' hoping you may be able to end a long quest??

Thanks

Lindsey

Here he is, looking so proud (and so young) in his uniform.

post-2-1100730752.jpg

Guest rodmacarthur

Rob,

I hope I have not sent this twice but it did not seem to work the first time and I am new to this forum.

I am trying to check the regiment of a soldier in the first world war who was the relative of a friend of my daughter. His name was William Richard Webster.

My clues are that he came from Birmingham and there is an old photo of him, with a Pioneer Battalion collar badge, but unfortunately no cap and his shoulder titles are indistinct.

There is a reasonable chance that he might have been in 14th (Service) Battalion (1st Birmingham) Royal Warwickshire Regiment, purely on the grounds that Birmingham was his home town and I understand that this battalion was the only one of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment which was converted into a Pioneer Battalion.

Do you have any record of him in your database for the Royal Warwickshire Regiment?

Rod MacArthur

Rob

I have a couple of source books which are pretty on individuals who died with the Warwicks, if you're interested please e mail me off line and I'll send the details to you with pleasure

Hambo

Rob

Do you have anything on 2nd Lt Ernest Ronald Shuttleworth?

He was killed in action on the first day of the Somme with the 8th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

I am aware that he was commissioned into the Warwickshires from the Royal Naval Division but have no details of his service with the Regiment.

A photograph of him would be a real bonus.

Regards

Mark

Dear Mark

I'm not Rob, but I've got some information on 2/Lt. Shuttleworth.

2/Lt. Ernest Ronald Shuttleworth was born on 21/06/1894 in Sheffield. His father was Thomas Ernest Shuttleworth and mother was Mary Edith Shuttleworth (formerly Travis). They lived at 5 Park Avenue, Riverdale Road, Sheffield. His father's occupation was Accountant.

When he applied for a commission in T.F. his height was 5ft 7.25ins. He was educated at the Quenford House School, Jersey. His occupation in civil life was a Chartered Accountants' Articles Clerk.

Initially, he joined the Public School Batt., Royal Naval Division. He was an Ordinary Seaman there.

Afterwards, he was commissioned in 8th R. War. R. on 10/04/15. As you wrote, he had been killed on 01/07/16.

This information is based on his personal file at the National Archive in Kew.

Why are you looking for information on him?

All the best!

Kang

Kang

Thanks for the reply.

I should have mentioned that I also checked his personal file at the National Archives. Unfortunately, it contains little information on his service with the RWR.

Ernest is one of 58 men commemorated the Ranmoor War Memorial in Sheffield. I have been researching the memorial for some time and hope to publish a local history book about the lives and deaths of those named.

You’ve clearly taken the time to look him up at Kew - what’s your interest in him?

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark and Kang,

Hope you do not mind me butting in. Below is a picture of Shuttleworth which is taken from a group photo of the Officers of the 1/8th Royal Warwicks taken at Mailley-Maillet not long before the 1 July attack.

I am sorry about the quality. The original photo is on the wall in the living room at Avril Williams's guest house in Auchonvillers.

Regards

Terry Carter

post-2-1101159394.jpg