Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

robwilliams

Hi All

My grandfather was Sgt Samuel Harvey 1/6 Btn RWR, amazingly a survivor of the great war. We (the family) think he was wounded at some point, returned to England and ended his military career in the 5th Btn, with a different service number. Is this possible?

Have been interested to see The Antelope publication mentioned in earlier posts. Are copies of this available to see - maybe at B'ham central library or the RWR museum?

Here goes with my first post - my children will be amazed!!!

Hi All

My grandfather was Sgt Samuel Harvey 1/6 Btn RWR, amazingly a survivor of the great war. We (the family) think he was wounded at some point, returned to England and ended his military career in the 5th Btn, with a different service number. Is this possible?

Have been interested to see The Antelope publication mentioned in earlier posts. Are copies of this available to see - maybe at B'ham central library or the RWR museum?

]

Jan,

I had an Uncle in the RWR who died just before Armistice Day, of pneumonia, however he came home, re-enlisted and kept his old number.

The RWMuseum was very helpful to me in finding out some details. He died Italy, Cremona 1918. Nov. Anyone any info, on what was happening there then please?

Colin

Guest argentn@mobile.rogers.com

Hi Rob:

Would you be able to able to look up George J. Cooper number 33296. He was drafted in after being injuryed in Amy Service Corp we think in late 1916.

Thank you

Nigel

Hi All

Hello Jan

Have you any medals belonging to him? They will have his service number either on the edge or the reverse if he was entitled to a 1915 Star.

I have checked the medal Index card register and there is a Sgt Samuel Harvey No.202569 of the 1/6 Royal Warwicks

It will cost you £3:50 to see it. It may not give you any further information. The link is below.

Regards

Terry

Sgt Harvey's Medal card Index

Hi Rob:

Would you be able to able to look up George J. Cooper number 33296.  He was drafted in after being injuryed in Amy Service Corp we think in late 1916.

Thank you

Nigel

Sorry, have no soldier of that name and number as being wounded.

Regards

terry

Dear Terry,

Would you have anything on Private A. Cadwallader, No.3664 of the 1st/16th RWR, I believe a Territorial Battalion, who was killed on 1st July 1916, whilst crossing the Serre Road.

Any information would be of value.

Thank you

Tonycad

From: http://www.cwgc.org./cwgcinternet/casualty...casualty=762676

Casualty Details

Name: CADWALLADER, ALBERT

Initials: A

Nationality:United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st/6th Bn.

Date of Death: 01/07/1916

Service No: 3664

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 9 A 9 B and 10 B.

Cemetery: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Also check out:

A search on this site for Serre will reveal further interesting information.

Regards

Richard

Sgt Samuel Harvey 1/6 Btn

Hi Terry

Thanks for the reply. I don't have his medals myself but they are still in the family - the usual three plus the MM and a long service TF medal, also two MIDs. Samuel's original four digit service number was 1083, changed to 202569 following renumbering. A complete mystery is the number 7346 which is on the MM. This also appears on the MIC and refers to Sgt S Harvey, 5th Res. Btn. Late 1/6 Btn. Gazetted Nov 11 1916. Other documentation we have confirms that Samuel ended his army service in the 5th Btn although the number 7346 does not appear again.

Do you have any record of him listed as wounded? We have a couple of photographs of him wearing what my aunt calls "hospital blues" and seem to be taken in the grounds of a hospital.

Regards

Jan

Hi Jan

According to the 1/6th RWR Battalion History, Sgt S Harvey 1083 served in C Company. He was most probably wounded on 1 july 1916 during the attack upon the Heidenkopf Redoubt. Thats probably where he did his deed to earn him a Military Medal aswell.

However, his name does not appear in any wounded list.

Have you tried to see if his Service Papers still survive at the National Archives?

regards

terry

Hi Terry,

Could I trouble you to see, if you have any information on 2742 Pte Walter George Steadman, 1/6th R.W.R. kia 1-6-15 ?

Cheers

Tim.

Hi Terry

Thanks for checking the wounded list - much appreciated even though a negative result. Made my first visit to the Somme earlier this year which included a trip to the site of the Heidenkopft Redoubt. Unfortunately Samuel Harvey's Service Papers haven't survived. I have some photocopied pages from the 1/6 Btn RWR History and worryingly Sgt S Harvey does not appear in the list of MM decorations.

Does anyone know anything about the 5th Reserve Btn RWR? My understanding is that this battalion was formed 1/9/1916 by merging the 3/5th and 3/6th, that its sphere of operations was Home Service, therefore no war diary - but is there any other written record for this battalion?

Would just like to say what a brilliant forum this is - respect, credit and thanks to all concerned.

Jan

Dear Terry,

Thank you for your response concerning Private Albert Cadwallader of the 1/6 RWR.

I had read in one record that he was last seen approaching the HeidenKopf.

Tony

• 4 weeks later...

Terry,

Do you have info on the following man:

BENTLEY Walter Thomas

Lance Corporal 931, 1st Bn. Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Died 09/12/1914, aged 27. Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 2 and 3. Cemetery: PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL.

Walter Thomas was born in 1886 in Wandsworth, the second child of Thomas and Susannah (nee Mills) Bentley. Walter’s father was from Mitcham and his mother from Tooting. The family had lived in Tooting Graveney and Wandsworth.Walter enlisted at Guildford.

His name appears on the Mitcham War Memorial

Thanks,

Chris.

Hi Rob

Perhaps you can help me trace details of my fathers war service.

An extract from the National Roll of the Great War states

Walsh C Private. Royal Berkshire regiment

Drafted to France in 1918 Gassed in action in Ypres, demobbed in 1919 with General Service and Victory medals.

Address 24 Clarence Road Handsworth Birmingham

I believe this information is incomplete.

He also served in the Royal Warwicks and he had two Service nos

The no on two of his medals is 42091.

His date of birth was 14 May 1999 and I understand he enlisted when he was seventeen ie 1916.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thankyou

Snooker.

Hello Terry/Rob,

Could you possibly check if there is any info on 14261 Pte William C W Bloor? He was awarded the BWM and Victory medal according to his MIC and survived the war.

Any information would be great.

Thanks

Tony

Hi

Would you be able to give me any ino on 14935 Norman Mason 10th Bn K in A 21/03/1918. I am especially interested in anything that might tie him to Northamptonshire, Raunds in particular.

Thanks

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

terry,

here is a scan from the black country bugle which might be of interest!

enoch

terry,

here is a scan from the black country bugle which might be of interest!

enoch

Thanks

He was an original volunteer to the 3rd Birmingham Battalion (16th Royal Warwicks). Is this a recent cutting from the Black Country Bugle ?

Cheers

Terry

Interesting, Enoch-the newspaper strip is in the style of the late, great Midlands sports cartoonist Norman Edwards but it looks like a modern pastiche. Who drew it?

Edited by Mark Hone

Hope I can be of help to someone. Over the years I have built up a database of members of the above Regiment. It currently has 39000 entries. By necessity, it is still not complete. However, if you want me to look someone up, just ask

Hope I can be of help to someone. Over the years I have built up a database of members of the above Regiment. It currently has 39000 entries. By necessity, it is still not complete. However, if you want me to look someone up, just ask

Rob Would appreciate any info you may have on a private J Faulkner 2004 2nd Bn. Royal Warwickshire Reg. died 30 Oct 1914(fron CWGC)