The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

robwilliams

Would anybody have anything to add on Lt Col P. V. Davidson of the 2/6 Royal Warwicks. In particularly I have been looking for a pic of this officer for several years but with no success, suprising this as he was a Lt Col.

Stephen

Terry

Thanks for the excellent picture – the results from the forum never fail to amaze.

Kang

I have few more pieces of information on Ernest Shuttleworth, such as his childhood address in Sheffield. If this is any use for your thesis let me know and I’ll email you what I have.

Regards

Mark

Dear Stephen

Lt.-Col. P.V. Davidson's original battalion was 2nd Bn. I think, if you let me know what kind of information on him you have already got, I will be able to check my database to find anything to add to your information on him.

Regards,

Kang

Can anyone assist ?

I am trying to determine what unit my Grandfather served in the RWR between 1914-15.

The medal record shows FREDERICK CHARE Reg Number 530 Sergeant L/104 B6 then L / B1 Class z.

The record is very unclear and living in USA cannot easily check with Kew.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Frederick Chare was an original volunteer to the 1st Birmingham Battalion (14th Bn. The Royal Warwickshire Regiment). He served in B Company, No. 7 Platoon.

I have no mention of him being wounded. He finished the war as a Sgt.

Regards

Terry (p.s. Have you a photo of him in uniform please?)

Hi,

I am trying to trace my great grandfather William Henry Johnson who was a regular we believe in the Royal Warwickshire Regt both before and during WW1. Family history says he was RSM or a CSM, can anybody help?

Thanks

rob m

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chrisclark

Hi Rob

Do you have any additional information on:

Name: BRERETON, FREDERICK

Initials: F

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 09/10/1917

Service No: 27779

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial

Reference: Panel 23 to 28 and 163A.

Cemetery: TYNE COT MEMORIAL

I have his medal card which says he was in the Shropshire light infantry first No: 19754

Thanks

chris

Hi Rob, I'm trying to find information about my grandfather, Leslie Kieth Smith. He served with the 8th Royal Warwickshire Regiment in France. His reg. number was 8/2420. He was also with the Royal Irish Rifles, reg. number 15/52313. I'm not sure about the TF number you mentioned in a previous post but I do have a copy of his medal card. There is a six figure number on there (305080) but I'm not sure if this is the TF number. You can view this card at:

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/statio...kieth_smith.jpg

On this card next to "Action Taken" it says "Disembodied on Demob" can you tell me what this means.

Thanks a lot

John

Hi Rob,

Would you have anything on this chap that might prove his link with Larne Co. Antrim, any other info is also welcome.

Regiment, Corps etc. Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Battalion/etc. 1st/7th Bn.

Surname HUEY

Christian Name(s) William Wallace

Initials W W

Born

Enlisted

Residence

Date of Death: 03/08/1918

Died How Died of accidental injuries

Theatre of War

Rank Private

Service Number 33483

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Plot 2. Row C. Grave 2.

Cemetery: BARENTHAL MILITARY CEMETERY, ITALY

Supplementary Notes

Notes Son of John and Mary Huey, of Carncunagh, Co. Antrim, Ireland.

greetings

Liam

Hi

I am trying to find out about my great grandfather Albert Charles Goss who served in the Royal Warwicks. Details I have ascertained from the national archives are as follows:

Private (Regimental No. 242091)

Medals Victory and British List L/104 B13 2846

There is further down on the medal card the following:

SWB List L/154/1

I believe the SWB may refer to the Silver War Badge given to soldiers who returned injured and unable to continue active service

Details I have been told by by family members and this may enter the realms of 'legend' is that he was injured in an attack crawled back over several hours and eventually got rescued. The injuries were so severe that when he was discharged the nurse wrote to my great grandmother stating she he hoped Albert made it back as she was worried he'd die on the way! I believe he may have serve early on possibly 1914 or 1915.

Can anyone help or give me advice on how to go about locating any other information ?

Thanks in advance

Jez

Hi Jez

There was a Pte A C Goss No. 20346 of the Royal Warwickshire Regt listed as wounded in the Birmingham Daily Post casualty list published on 6 March, 1917. This is probably his original service number and he probably enlisted into a Royal warwickshire territorial battalion. The two medals indicate that he did not serve overseas until after Jan 1916.

The Territorials had their service numbers changed to six figure numbers during 1917. The number 242091 is part of the block numbers allocated to the 6th Royal Warwicks.

Terry

First off Terry thank you for answering so quickly.

secondly would i need to check under the old regimental number 20346 with the national archives or did they transfer all details to the new numbers?

thirdly where would i find out details of which company battalion he may have served with ?

again thanks in advance

jez

Hi Jez

I have been checking similar service numbers for the Royal Warwickshire Regt on the Soldiers Died CD Rom.

Men who were killed with service numbers either side of Pte A C Goss (20346) were in the 1/6th Royal Warwicks and had formerly served in the Leicestershire Regt. e.g. 20341 & 20348

Was your Grandfather a Leicester man?

Regards

Terry

You may be interested ... or have more on ...

Captain Norman Conyers Kirby Born at Newport in Monmouthshire, 26 Mar 1897. Commissioned as Second Lieutenant , 29 Aug 1914. Gazetted to 7th Battalion, RWR (TF). Promoted temporary Lieutenant, 3 Oct 1915. Crossed to France, 5/6 Mar 1916 (just short of his 19th birthday). Seconded for duty with trench mortars, 29 Apr 1916 (per London Gazette.) [what unit?] Temporary Captain, whilst employed with a Trench Mortar Battery, 12 Jun 1916 - 18 Jul 1916. Promoted Lieutenant, 7/Royal Warwicks, 23 Jun 1916. Promoted Captain, 7/Royal Warwicks, with precedence from 1/6/16, 3 Jul 1917. Seconded whilst on probation with the Indian Army in the rank of Lieutenant, 20 Feb 1918. Appointed to the Indian Army (on probation), as a Lieutenant, 25 Mar 1918. Attached to the Second Battalion, 35th Sikhs, 30 Mar 1918. Restored to the establishment of the 7th Royal Warwicks in the rank of Captain, 11 May 1919. Released ... date unknown! Married Mary Gertrude Stratton. Emigrated to South Africa and settled in Cape Town. Died in Fish Hoek of prostate cancer, aged 91 years, 10 Mar 1989.

Captain Duncan MacNiven Born 29 Jul 1894. Educated at King Edward VI’s School, Birmingham. Commissioned as Second Lieutenant, 29 Aug 1914. Gazetted to the 8th Battalion, RWR (TF). Crossed to France, 7 Jan 1916. Seconded for duty with trench mortars, 23 May 1916 (per London Gazette.) [what unit?] Promoted Lieutenant, 8/Royal Warwicks, but remained seconded, w.e.f. 2 Jul 1916 (subsequently backdated to 1 Jun 1916.) Transferred to the Special List, date unknown. Appointed to command a Trench Mortar Battery, with the rank of acting Captain, 21 Mar 1917. Promoted temporary Captain, 8/Royal Warwicks (per The Army List, Sep 1917), with seniority dated 1 Jun 1916. Resigned his commission, 1921. Emigrated to South Africa and settled in Johannesburg. Married in Johannesburg to Harriet Rebecca Berry. Commissioned Second Lieutenant, Active Citizen Force (South Africa), 5 Jul 1940. Posted to the East Rand Battalion, Mines Engineering Brigade, South African Engineer Corps. Promoted temporary Captain and subsequently appointed acting Major. Appointed to command 56 (MEB) Armoured Brigade Field Company, SAEC. Transferred to 22 (MEB) Central Rand Armoured Car Commando, SAEC, 28 Mar 1944. Released from the Army, date unknown. Died in Knysna Hospital, aged 92 years, 11 Sep 1986.

Regards

William

Any information on the Warwickshire and other regimental casualties and me of Bearwood in the West Midlands?

Especially men from Barclay Road, Galton Road, Park Road, Lightwoods Hill, Wigorn Road, Milcote Road, Lightwoods Road.

Many thanks

Hi Terry

Re:Albert Goss No 20346/242091

My great grandfather came from Leamington Spa or an outside chance of being from Stourbridge so the Leicestershire bit of your last post poses a conundrum. If his service number are either side of men from that county regt 20341 and 20348 would it be likely he served with them ? and if so and they were killedwhere were did they die and would that indicate where he may of fought on the frontline? This is becoming a big but exciting mystery to unravel but as always i am relying on your skill, interest and patience to help me.

Jez

• 3 weeks later...

I hope someone can help me with this Royal Warwickshire soldier.

I know the following.

His name was Victor William Vincent Shilcog or Shilkovski.

He may have been an NCO and he survived the war. Sorry, I don't know which battalion he was in and would appreciate any information about him.

Many thanks

Alec

Hello Alec

Both those surnames did not come up with a result on the Medal Index Cards database at the National Archives.

The nearest I have found was in the Birmingham Daily Post casualty list published on 9 Aug 1916 when a L/Cpl F Shilvock 15277 was listed.

However it does not give a battalion

Regards

Terry

Thanks Terry

I reckon L/Cpl F Shilvock 15277 sounds like it could be a misspelling. It's worth persuing, given that there are no other leads and his family are adamant that he was with the Royal Warwicks.

Do you have any suggestions how I can find out more about this chap?

Alec

Dear Terry,

This is such a kind offer !

Please could you look for any info on Herbert George Sheridan born 1899

( my husband's grandfather)

Many thanks in advance

Best Wishes,

Margaret

Dear Terry,

Could you also possibly check for any info on -

JOHN POSTAN WAINWRIGHT born in 1882, who was possibly a Private in 11th Bn, Royal Warwickshire Regiment and was killed in action at the battle of Poelcapelle in 1917.

Thank you very much

Best Wishes,

Margaret

hello Margaret

Not much else I can tell you regarding J P Wainwright other than he is commemorated on the Tyne Cot memorial, which you probably know.

I have not got any list with a H G Sheridan on it. There 638 medal index cards to men with the surname Sheridan but none have the initials H G.

Sorry

Terry