Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

robwilliams

hello Mark

The picture below is Ronald Shuttleworth 1/8 Royal Warwicks KIA 1/7/16.

It is taken from a group photo of all the 1/8 Officers at Mailly Maillet prior to 1/7/16.

Regards

Terry Carter

post-66-1113040909.jpg

Hello Rob,

Does the database allow you to print off casualties for the 1/8th RWR for the 1st July and their place of commemoration or burial? Perhaps you could indicate which cemetery contains the majority (if any)

Thank you

Stephen Binks

AGWR

Thanks for bringing this one back to life. I am aware of the inscription on his father’s grave in the General Cemetery. In the last few years the cemetery has benefited from a dedicated conservation group, The Friends of the General Cemetery, who are gradually restoring the site. They have published a small book on military burials in the cemetery which includes an entry on the grave. They also do guided tours on the first Sunday of each month and the grave is usually on the itinerary - worth doing if it coincides with a visit.

Taryong

Thanks for the information. I will check the papers you suggest.

Terry

Thank you very much for the photograph of 2 Lt Shuttleworth.

Thanks again for all your help on this one

Regards

Mark

Mark,

I am glad to hear that the cemetery is now being restored. It was in a shocking state when I lived at Hunters Bar. Several times, I discovered human remains on the path, various graves having been desecrated.

My parents still live in Sheffield so I will definitely go on one of these guided tours. Thanks for the tip.

Kind Regards,

AGWR

Guest geoff501
Hope I can be of help to someone.  Over the years I have built up a database of members of the above Regiment.

Hi Rob,

Anything on Pte. 14/487 Hugh Randolph Ryan Bell of the 14th Bn.

Thanks.

Geoff

Hello Geoff

Pte H R R Bell is in my list of original 1st B'ham Bn but I have no service number (I do now thanks to you) and I do not know which Company or platoon he served in either. In fact I cannot recall where I got his name from !!!

However I can tell you he was commissioned to 1/8 Worcesters in August 1915.

He is listed in Soldiers Died as being killed on 29/8/17 the rank of Lieutenant.

HOWEVER.... I cannot find him on the CWGC search to find where he is buried or commemorated. I have tried variations of the name Ball, Bill, Bull but still no luck.

Perhaps Terry Denham in the 'Cemetery and Memorials' section of this Forum could help.

Terry

p.s what is your interest in this soldier?

Hi Geoff

Birmingham City Battalions Book of Honour has 14/487 Ryan Bell, H R as being commisioned on 4.8.15. An E D Bell Ryan. is shown on the City of Birmingham Electrical Supply Department Roll of Honour (however he is a Royal Engineer). Can't find any other referance to him on the CDRom.

Dave

Guest geoff501
Pte H R R Bell is in my list of original 1st B'ham Bn but I have no service number (I do now thanks to you) and I do not know which Company or platoon he served in either. In fact I cannot recall where I got his name from !!!

However I can tell you he was commissioned to 1/8 Worcesters in August 1915.

He is listed in Soldiers Died as being killed on 29/8/17 the rank of Lieutenant.

HOWEVER.... I cannot find him on the CWGC search to find where he is buried or commemorated. I have tried variations of the name Ball, Bill, Bull but still no luck.

Perhaps Terry Denham in the 'Cemetery and Memorials' section of this Forum could help.

Terry

p.s what is your interest in this soldier?

Hello Terry,

Good to fill in a few gaps.

I'm researching a few memorials. One name I'm stuck on is H. Bell. I don't know if this is my man or not, I have not yet found anything to link him to the village.

However Lt. H.R.R Bell was mortally wouded at Ypres 1917 leading D Coy. He would have received the DSO for his brave action but died of wounds 3 days later (it's not posthumous). This info from the excellent Worcs. Regiment in the Great War which I've just obtained on CD. You're right - cannot find on CWGC. Found him in 1901 census living/born in Kings Norton, DOB 1887. There is a MIC (which I cannot find at moment!) which is where I got the Warks. connection from.

The memorial I'm looking at is Stoke Prior, Worcestershire, but as I say no proof yet it's my man.

Cheers

Geoff

Hi

Can I trouble you for any info on

Private 11305 Harry Seagar 9th Battalion

Died 9/4/18 Buried Baghdad.

Thanks

Damien.

Hi Terry,

Wondering if you could help with any information on my grandfather, John Sullivan.

I have that he was Pte L/Cpl - Regt No 4819 - Theatre of War (1) France and entry was 18-7-15. He was invalided out but I don't know when.

He also served with different regiments prior to the war, but I think the Royal Warwicks was the main one during WWI.

Any info appreciated! He wouldn't talk much about his background and so has been difficult to track down.

JennyMc

Brisbane

Hi Terry,

Do you have any information on:

Pte Thomas Clark, enlisted in 1st Bn., then served with 2/6th Bn. RWR

A regt. number would be good.

Thanks,

Stuart

Stuart

Ther are seven men with the name Thomas Clark listed in the Medal Card Index that served in the Royal Warwicks. It costs £3:50 to download each card and then it would be difficult to pick out the one that you are interested in.

Regards

terry

hello JennyMc

Sorry I have no mention of J Sullivan 4819 in a wounded list.

HOWEVER the date he landed in France corresponds to the date that the 10th Royal Warwicks landed in France. This battalion served in the 57th Infantry Brigade of the 19th Division (divisional sign ... a Butterfly).

I have photocopies of the 10th's War Diary for its early days in France and it does mention other ranks by name and number. So I will have look for you. Cannot promise anything though

G'day sheila

Terry

Damian

Pte H Seagar 11305 was in the wounded list published in the Birmingham Daily Post on 7 August 1916. I will see my mate who is compiling info on all the original 9th Warwicks and see if there is more info for you.

Regards

Terry

Damian

Pte H Seagar 11305 was in the wounded list published in the Birmingham Daily Post on 7 August 1916. I will see my mate who is compiling info on all the original 9th Warwicks and see if there is more info for you.

Regards

Terry

Thanks Terry

Info very much appreciated.

Damien

Hi Terry,

Re: Thomas Clark

Thanks for looking. I wasn't sure what info you have in your database. I was hoping that giving battalion details might of narrowed the possibles down.

Cheers,

Stuart

Guest geoff501
Hello Geoff

Pte H R R Bell is in my list of original 1st B'ham Bn but I have no service number (I do now thanks to you) HOWEVER.... I cannot find him on the CWGC search to find where he is buried or commemorated.

Terry,

Just received email from CWGC:

Casualty: Lieutenant HUGH RANDOLPH RYAN-BELL

Served With: 1st/8th Bn. Worcestershire Regiment

Died: 29th August 1917

Commemorated: DOZINGHEM MILITARY CEMETERY

Poperinge, West-Vlaanderen

Belgium

Plot IV. Row H. Grave 9.

Additional Information: Age 30

Son of John and Annie Ran-Bell; husband of Maude Marie

Ryan-Bell, of "Graiseley," Wheelwright Rd., Erdington,

Birmingham. Born at Moseley, Birmingham.

All other records (SDGW, MIC, 1901 Census, Worcs Regt, BMD) have the family name as BELL not RYAN-BELL. I hope you find this of use. There is a Gazette entry for 18/12/17 but darned if I can find it. Also a birth: Kings Norton Sept. 1887 Vol 6c, p378.

I don't think he his my man, I'm now looking for Harry Bell, nevertheless I'll raise a glass to a brave Lieutenant tonight.

cheers,

Geoff

J Sullivan 4819...HOWEVER the date he landed in France corresponds to the date that the 10th Royal Warwicks landed in France. This battalion served in the 57th Infantry Brigade of the 19th Division (divisional sign ... a Butterfly)....

Thanks Terry,

I really appreciate the information - to learn anything about J Sullivan is great! Of course, he never spoke about the war, or how he was wounded, but he lived out his life with a lot of shrapnel! Unfortunately I don't know when this happened and records being what they are... I'd love to know what his life was like during the war. And before if I could ever track him down in the other regiments (Cameron Highlanders and Royal Artillery)...

Thanks again! I'm off to investigate battalions, divisions etc, etc!!!

JennyMc

Brisbane

Rob

Can you tell me if there were any pre 1915 officers or ORs with the surname Cameron? Still poking around for my GG granded Pvt 1713 and I think that he may have named his son after someone he served with.

Thanks

Stewart

PS do you know what platoon 1713 was in (2nd battn)?

Dear Stewart

According to my database on officers of the R. War. R. during the FFW, there was only one officer whose surname was Cameron.

He was 2nd Lt. D.S. Cameron. He was commissioned on the 11/3/17 in the 1st Garrison Bn., Royal Warwickshire Regiment. with the temparary rank of 2nd Lt.

I wish your Great Discovery!

Taryong

• 2 weeks later...

I would greatly appreciate your help regarding a soldier from my wife's side of the family.

His name is T.H. Searston, rank private, number 52238, 16th battallion of the Royal warwickshire regiment. Died 19.09.1918, buried St. Sever cemetary extension Rouen.

Any information is appreciated.

Greetings Frans

Good afternoon. I have only just joined this site in search of information on my Grandfather's activities during the war.

All I know is that he was in the Royal Warwicks and then the Royal Gloucesters (or possibly the other way round!).

Pte Frederick Charles Shakespeare

He joined up, as many did, when he was 17. The little he spoke about the war was to say he was in the Somme but at what time, I dont know

The above is from a posting I put on under "My Grandad was an Army on his own".

Could you please check and see if my Grandfather appears on your list. This would help in my search immensely.

Thanks in advance!

Flip

hello Flip

I take it F Shakespeare's service number is 2671.

If so there was a L/Cpl F Shakespeare 2671 listed as wounded in the Birmingham Daily Post on 20 July 1916.

This is only my theory. He could have been wounded on 1st July 1916 either with the 1/8 or 1/6 Royal Warwicks during the attack on the Heidenkopf Redoubt (near Serre). Then on recovery of wounds posted to a Gloucestershire battalion who were serving in another brigade of the same 48th Division.

Regards

terry

Hello Stewart

Looking at the medal index card data base. There is a Donald Cameron No.1713 but he was in the Army Pay Corps.

Have you any other details?

Regards

Terry