Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

robwilliams

I would greatly appreciate your help regarding a soldier from my wife's side of the family.

His name is T.H. Searston, rank private, number 52238, 16th battallion of the Royal warwickshire regiment. Died 19.09.1918, buried St. Sever cemetary extension Rouen.

Any information is appreciated.

Greetings Frans

Hello Frans

Not much I can tell you. He was drafted into the 16th Royal Warwicks from the Notts and Darby Regt (No.99929) to make the battalion up to full strength for the fighting in September of 1918 during the battle to smash through the Hindenburg Line. He was born in Nottingham and he lived at Radford.

Regards

terry

Hi Rob,

I would be most grateful for any information on 18778 Pte. Ernest Phillips.

Regards,

Ron.

Sorry Ron

There is no mention of him in any lists that I have.

Regards

terry

Hi Rob or Terry,

I wonder if either of you have any information on the following man:

Pte Dudley Carlton BRYER No 28999

He was commissioned in Oct 1918 into the MGC and obviously never served overseas with them as his medals are named to him as Private in the Warwicks.

Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks

James

Hello Rob,

Would be grateful if you have come across any service details regarding my great uncle Private Stanley E Pearson No:-11603 R.W.Regt. Battalion? He did survive the war.

Regards,

Steve

Hi Rob or Terry,

I wonder if either of you have any information on the following man:

Pte Dudley Carlton BRYER No 28999

He was commissioned in Oct 1918 into the MGC and obviously never served overseas with them as his medals are named to him as Private in the Warwicks.

Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks

James

hello James

In the Birmingham Daily Post casualty list published on 26 September 1917

there is a Pte D Bryer 28999 listed as wounded. However it does not give which battalion he served in.

Terry

Hello Rob,

Would be grateful if you have come across any service details  regarding my great uncle Private Stanley E Pearson No:-11603 R.W.Regt.  Battalion? He did survive the war.

Regards,

Steve

hello Steve

Sorry no info. However the medal card index gives his name as Samuel not Stanley.

Regards

Terry

Hello Frans

Not much I can tell you. He was drafted into the 16th Royal Warwicks from the Notts and Darby Regt (No.99929) to make the battalion up to full strength for the fighting in September of 1918 during the battle to smash through the Hindenburg Line. He was born in Nottingham and he lived at Radford.

Regards

terry

Thank you very much Terry. The family have found some photo's and other object's of him which only recently have been found when a old uncle died.

They are sending them up to me, when I receive them I will come back to you.

Regards, Frans

I take it F Shakespeare's service number is 2671.

If so there was a L/Cpl F Shakespeare 2671 listed as wounded in the Birmingham Daily Post on 20 July 1916.

This is only my theory. He could have been wounded on 1st July 1916 either with the 1/8 or 1/6 Royal Warwicks during the attack on the Heidenkopf Redoubt (near Serre). Then on recovery of wounds posted to a Gloucestershire battalion who were serving in another brigade of the same 48th Division.

Regards

terry

Many thanks, terry.

I think I demoted my grandad! This sounds promising as one story goes that he was playing cards or something in a trench when a german grenade or something came over, killing the four men with him. I will look into this with my Mum and see whether Im on the right track now.

Flip

Terry,

Thank you very much for that - as and when I get hold of the Medal Rolls I will be in touch with any additional information so that you can add it to your database.

I have medals to 3 Warwicks men - 1st,16th and unknown and they have each been listed as wounded - but in no case discharged.

I have had a re-check on Bryer's MIC and he was commissioned on the 8th October 1918 as a 2/Lt the MGC.

Thanks again Terry.

James

P.S. Still enjoying the book - very informative and descriptive, a great way of relating the experiences of the medal recipient.

Flip and Terry,

The Frederick Charles Shakespeare that Flip has already found had a Royal Warwickshire Number of 20280. Since he was only 17 when he enlisted in 1915, I doubt he would have had a number as low as 2671...

There was an F Shakespeare in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment with number 2671 per the MICs, but it is a different MIC to the other one we located.

F Shakespeare:

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...1&resultcount=3

Frederick C Shakespeare:

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...&resultcount=21

Don't want you to jump to conclusions.

Learnt that lesson myself before!

Steve.

Stebie9173 Posted May 4 2005, 03:24 PM

Flip and Terry,

The Frederick Charles Shakespeare that Flip has already found had a Royal Warwickshire Number of 20280. Since he was only 17 when he enlisted in 1915, I doubt he would have had a number as low as 2671...

There was an F Shakespeare in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment with number 2671 per the MICs, but it is a different MIC to the other one we located.

F Shakespeare:

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...1&resultcount=3

Frederick C Shakespeare:

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...&resultcount=21

Stebie9173,

Thanks for this.

The second one does seem more likely. Now all I need to know is what to do with this info and how it will help me trace him backwards!!

Im new to all this and trying to understand what all the numbers mean. Regiment numbers: what info can I gain from that?

Thanks again for your help.

Flip

Hi again,

Ive downloaded F C Shakespeare's MIC from the National Archives but not sure what it all means. How do I paste it on here so someone can help me decipher it?

Not usually so dumb on technology so cant see what Im doing wrong!

Flip

Hi Terry,

Do you have any information on:-

1110 Pte A.E. HARRIS, R.War.R.

I have his 14 Star bar trio [MID] and MSM.

Ian.

Hi, Flip.

First things first. Medal entitlement is Victory Medal and British War Medal. No 1914-15 Star. That means he entered a Theatre of War after 1-1-1916.

His Regimental numbers are both TF re-numbers at 1-3-1917 which means he was a Territorial Force soldier somewhere between 1-1-1916 and 28-2-1917 in one regiment. His first TF number (probably four digits) was re-numbered at that date. I think you said in your early post that he was in the Royal Warwicks first? He then transferred to the other Regiment after 1-3-1917, probably the Gloucestershire Regiment.

The Royal Warwickshire Regiment is 5th Battalion Territorial.

From your other post that he was at the Somme, it may be either 1/5th (48th Division) or 2/5th Battalion (61st Division). 1/5th were much more active there, but family lore is best taken with a pinch of salt. No offence intended.

The Gloucestershire Regiment number is 4th Battalion Territorial.

Both the 1/4th and 2/4th were in France after 1917.

1/5th Royal Warwickshire Regiment were in the same Division as 1/4th Gloucestershire Regiment (48th Division) and 2/5th RWR were in the same Division as 2/4th Gloucesters (61st Division), but that may just be coincidence.

The Medal Rolls at Kew should tell you exactly which Regiments he was in, but these aren't online.

Steve.

PS Nice hailstorms in Sunny Peterborough here today, weren't they?

Flip,

Looking again at your earlier posts, Frederick C Shakespeare was listed on the MICs "index" page as 20280. Looking at his actual MIC that seems to be 202800 not 20280.

I'm no expert on the take up rates of RWR numbers (any idea where you'd find a Royal Warwickshire Regiment expert around here? ;) ) but 20280 strikes me as a number that would have been allocated in 1915 or so.

I would believe the 202800 to be right and therefore make him a Territorial soldier throughout his career. We need Terry's opinion. I think.

Steve.

PS Nice hailstorms in Sunny Peterborough here today, weren't they?

Great! Wasnt sure whether to wear shorts or hard hat!

As for 'family folklore', I take everything with a pinch of salt! (so no offence taken). Ive heard umpteen different stories about different things regarding my grandfather. Hence my research I suppose.

Thanks for the detail. I feel a trip to Kew coming..... ;)

Linking into your grandfather enlisting at 17 in 1914 or 1915, he could well have enlisted in the 2nd half of 1915, trained for the requisite 6 months and then shipped to France early in 1916.

Of course, unless his Service Records survive (30% chance) at Kew, we may never know the exact dates of his enlistment and transfers. 1914 and 1915-ers give us a little more help in that regard but we have to live with what info we've got...

I'm itching for another trip to Kew, but I only went 3 weeks ago, last time. Oh, well...

Steve.

Yup, sometimes we have to just accept that we wont know everything...but I'm not giving up yet!

Flip

Flip,

We ought not derail Rob's database Topic any further. You ought to make any further postings in Soldiers.

If Rob or Terry have any further info, they'll post it here, but we've imposed on their good nature in posting here. Not good etiquette to hijack people's Topics for too long.

Cheers,

Steve.

Rob,

Please can I call upon your generosity to consult your database for these four individuals who served at some point in the war in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment:

20268 Pte. William Camp

238049 Pte. Herbert Camp

23533 Pte. Bertram Camp

24931 Pte. Alfred W. Camp

Thank you,

Matthew

Please note I remembered to add the ROYAL this time. :D

Hi Rob,

Firstly I wasnt aware how long your thread had been up!

If you are still able to help I am looking for a list of 8th Battalion casualties connected with the 1st July 1916 (including later d.o.w)

Is the information you hold more detailed than soldiers died?

Appreciate any help

Regards

Steve Binks

Rob,

Please can I call upon your generosity to consult your database for these four individuals  who served at some point in the war in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment:

20268 Pte. William Camp

238049 Pte. Herbert Camp

23533 Pte. Bertram Camp

24931 Pte. Alfred W. Camp

Thank you,

Matthew

Please note I remembered to add the ROYAL this time.  :D

Pte B J Camp was listed as wounded in the B'ham Daily Post on 12 Nov 1917 (his service number is listed as 23532 (which may have been copied down wrong from the newspaper)

The only other mention is of Pte W Camp 20268 being killed in action, which you will probably have the details.

Regards

Terry