Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

robwilliams

Guest olive.jen@tesco.net

DEAR ROB

DO YOU HAVE ANY PHOTOS OF THE ROYAL WARWICKSHIRE REGIMENT MY GRANDFATHER WAS IN THE 7TH BATTALION. REGARDS JENNY

Please can anyone out there see if Otto Albert Heinrich enlisted with a Warwickshire regiment in 1914? His name may well be spelt wrong, or back to front!

He had been teaching German from 1912-1914, as an assistant master at King Edward VI Camp Hill School, Stratford Road, Sparkhill, and lodging with a Mrs V. K Thornwell. As far as I can find out, he never reached the war.

He came from Twerton, Bath, and was born 1892. His father, my grandfather, came from Saxony. I've been loooking for him for years.

Any sighting would be gratefully received ...

VivP

PS Rob - are you all right?

Thankyou for looking, Terry - but we don't have a Joseph in the family.

You can see how easily the surname gets changed by beaurocrats though! :)

Otto's father's wedding registration in the parish register of St Andrews, Kinson, Dorset, spells it HEINRICK, too.

VivP

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mavesyn

Hello all.

I know Rob has'nt posted for a while, but i was wondering wether anybody could help me on obtaining any information on my great uncle.

The only information i have at present is his name, Bernard Cohen (proberly listed as Cowen) his brother Jack was listed as Cowen rather than Cohen. Jack was in the Rifle Brigade.

Bernard lived through the war, and as far as i know was never wounded. He proberly signed up in the Aston area of Birmingham.

I have a few photo's of Bernard, which is the reason i know he was in the Royal Warickshire regiment.

I could possibly e-mail the photo's to somebody who could possibly help me with futher information. Like wether he was one of the Birmingham Pals, it's hard to make out the cap badge clearly, what battlion etc.

There are 5 photo's, 1 studio and 4 in camp, tents in the background etc.

Many thanks for looking.

Mike Price

Staffordshire.

Hi Mike

I have a list of all the original Birmingham Pals....however, someone has borrowed it off me and I have not had it back yet.

If you could e-mail me some of the camp photos, I could determine if he served in the 3rd B'ham Bn. The battalion moved to Malvern in April. 1915, and set up camp on the golf course.

Regards

Terry

Guest mavesyn

Thank you, Terry.

I have sent you a e-mail regards the photo's.

For general information.

There is a First world war re-enactment this bank holiday weekend, At Tamworth Castle, Staffordshire. The advert say's, " Witness the castle as a First world war hospital and army HQ with "The Birmingham Pals".

Regards

Mike Price

Staffordshire.

• 5 months later...

Hi Rob,

I wonder if you might have any photos of officers of the Ryl Warwickshire Regt on yr database.

The officer I am interested in is noted below on my signature - 2Lieut Cyril Geo Williamson. I have his SR.

Thanks in advance,

Bryan

Guest scott leader

Can you help me?

Do you have any info on 1115 Cpl F Smart 1/Royal Warwickshire Regiment

He won the Military Medal - L/G 11th November 1916 & MID 4th Jan 1917 (somme)

What/when would the militay medal have been for Aug/sep?? battles, attacks?

Thanks

Hello Rob

I'm a new member, and trying to get used to the website. I have spotted your offer regarding the RWR, can you help me.

My uncle Pte James Archer Dixon 242876 of 1st /6th R. Warwickshire. Reg was kia 17.08.1917 at Ypres, aged 21 years, and is commemorated at Tyne Cot.

I am trying to find out the date he enlisted, and any info you may have about the 1/6th leading up to his death.

Please note in some Army records Archer in sometimes referred to as Archibald, also his rank sometimes L/Cpl.

Thanks in anticipation

Cee Jay

Hi Rob Hi everyone.

I would very much appreciate any information anyone has on my great uncle.

Walter Baker Pte 6314 1st Btn Royal Warwickshire Regt. KIA 25/04/1915.

I believe that this was during the first German attack on Ypres and that it was the first time gas had been used.

Walter is listed on panel 8 of the Menin Gate Memorial.

Ta very much

Tarra a bit

Bill

Hi Tony,

THANK YOU very much for the photo & article on Lieut Cyril G Williamson. RWR.

I have only just rec'd a notice that there was a response to my query.

I have prinetd a copy of the photo & article & could you tell me please where you might have obtained the photo & article?

Bryan

Dear Bryan

Some more information on 2nd Lt. C.G. Williamson,

He was born on 14/03/1894. He was in the OTC (Officers Training Corps), Solihull Grammar School from July, 1909 to the year of 1912. His final rank was Serjeant.

Father - Arthur Williamson & Mother - Sarah Elizabeth Williamson.

He was initially commissioned into the 13th (Reserve) Battalion, R. War. R. on 14/08/15, and afterwards posted to the 10th Bn. of the same regiment.

You can find some notes and a photo on the Birmingham Daily Post (14.07.16) & Birmingham Weekely Post (22.17.16 / 29.07.16). But, I am certain that the best way to get information on him is too see his peronal file at Kew (the National Achive). His file number is WO 339/36804. Personally I have already seen his file.

I hope this information will be useful to you.

Kang

...Apologies for duplicating - this post also appears as a separate main topic...

I'm trying to tie up a few loose ends regarding my grandfather...any ideas most welcome..

Robert Augustus Newsom, born 2nd October 1898

Gained Commission on 29.09.17 from 1st/28th London Regt (Artist's Rifles) as 2nd Lieutenant and joined 16th Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Service Number : 762542

I know he was in Italy [near Padua] when the German Spring Offensive started in 1918 and I have seen reports that he may have been sent to the area around Bapaume.

He was on the front line when 2 semi-notable events occured [which might trigger a memory with someone else out there..?]

1) R.A.N. was commanding a section at a crossroads when one of the machine gunners ["King"?] assigned to his section opened fire on "a civilian walking down the road wearing a bowler hat". What is striking about this is that he was in front line at the time [as opposed to a support or reserve trench]...and this bowler-hatted civilian came walking towards their position...

2) In the region about Foret De Nieppe, his section had just moved up to an incomplete trench when he was instructed to carry out a rifle inspection. As there was insufficient room to conduct the inspection in the trench, he got out and ran along the top of the trench while his soldiers all raised their rifles for him to inspect down the barrels. Unfortunately, a German F.O.P. was situated in a church tower and not only did R.A.N.'s action demonstrate that there were British soldiers now back in the trench, he accuarately indicated the exact position of the entire section. A fierce bombardment followed and one private ["Foster" ?] was injured and another ["Barnes"?] was killed as a direct action of R.A.N.'s actions [something that haunted him for the rest of his life].

Neither of these incidents are that memorable in the big scheme of things...but they might have been ridiculous enough that they were remembered by individuals..?

But what I am having trouble pin-pointing is where he would have been when he led a small raiding party, sent out to silence a german machine gun team on the night of 24th/25th April 1918 - he left the two privates and a corporal ["Hicks" ?] a short way behind and went on ahead to throw his grenades into the machine gun position. Unfortunately, he over-shot the position and was much closer to them than he had anticipated. To exacerbate his situation, the pin in his first grenade refused to budge...and he was shot three times. Luckily he managed to make it back to the rest of his raiding party. Dragged and half-carried back to the trench by Corporal Hicks, R.A.N. was then sent to a Casualty Clearing Station and then home to England.

Another thought - perhaps there is a Corporal Hicks who was 'mentioned in despatches' or awarded in someway for his part in this action?

Anyway - any thoughts and feedback most welcome!

Hi Rob,

I am building a database for the 13th London Regiment.

I was wondering if we could do an exchange of any 13th London men you come across for any Warwick men I come across.

Tom

Hi Rob,

I am building a database for the 13th London Regiment.

I was wondering if we could do an exchange of any 13th London men you come across for any Warwick men I come across.

Tom

2 Lieut C.G. Williamson R.W.R.

Thanks you very much for the info Kang. I already have his SR copied from WO 339/36804

The articles you mention in the Birmingham Daily Post - might those be the photo & article sent by Tony(in this thread), or would they be additional to these?

I would like to obtain copies if indeed they are different,

again, thank very much in advance Kang,

Bryan

Hi Rob

Do you have any information on 16291 l/Sgt. Lewis Nixon of the 9th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment who won the M.S.M. in Transcaspia in 1919.

I believe that this "Mallenson Mission" MSM for Transcaspia is unique to the regiment only one company of the 9th Warwick's in krasnovodsk. In fact most of the Mallenson Mission troops where colonials so his MSM could be unique to the British Army.

Any further information on him greatfully received. :D

Best regards.

Dear Bryan

The above photo and article of 2nd Lt. Williamson come from the Birmingham Weekely Post on 29/07/16.

One more minor point,

2nd Lt. Williamson entered into the Faculty of Science, University of Birmingham in 1913.

If I come across any information on him I am willing to let you know.

All the best!

Kang

Dear Grandson

I checked the War Diary of the 16th Bn., RWR for you.

The 16th Bn. R. War. R. returned to France 08/04/18,

8th [April 1918] : detrained at PETIT HOUVIE & marched from there to billet at BOUQUEMAISON arriving at 3 p.m.

10th : arrived at COULLEMONT at 3 p.m.

11th : Bn. left SAULTY at 2.45 pm & detrained at AIRE at 1.20 am 12th inst.

12th : Bn. marched to MAZINGHEM arriving at 3 am. Bn. marched via GUARBECQUE ST VENANT HAVERSKERQUE arriving at CROIX MARRAISSE at 5.45 pm where BN. bivouaced.

23rd 7.50 p.m. : Message from Bde to say Guards Bde 31st Div on left will carry out an operation at 8.40 Pm. tonight at FME BEAULIEU. The operation was a success & 11 prisoners & 2 MGs were captured. Capt. F.W. RICHMOND wounded but remained at duty.

24th 9.15 p.m. : 15th Infty Bde OO 181 received saying that 1st BEDFORDS will advance their line from LES LAURIERS...The 95th Infty Bde will conform on the Right zero hour 9.30 pm on 25th April. The operation was a success allobjectives were gained & a certain number of prisoners & MGs taken.

25th 9.15 p.m. : 15th Infty Bde OO 182 received saying that in the night of 27th 28th, Bde will be relieved by 13th Infty Bde. 16th R War R will be relieved by 3 Coys 14th R War R & 1 Coy 2nd KOSB...

I hope this info. will be useful to you...

Kang

Dear Grandson,

Your grandad was promoted Lieut. on 26/03/19 (London Gazette 02/06/19). His ultimate battalion was 3rd Bn., RWR. He was attached to 16th Bn., RWR.

Kang