Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

robwilliams

• 3 weeks later...

Rob.

I found out today that a relative of mine served in the 4th Battalion.

His name was Sgt 38676 William Wainwright and he died on Saturday 2 November 1918, aged 30.

He is buried in the graveyard at Polesworth Church in Warwickshire.

This is all I have but I think I may find out more about him from the family.

Do you have him listed?

Best wishes.

John.

John,

Only that he was the son of JJ & M of 76 Station Rd, Polesworth. As he was Special Reserve, it does not look as if he went overseas, so the options for extra info are limited.

Rob

Hi Rob

I'm researching soldiers from my area and wondered if you could do a few look ups for me

23610 Cpl Edwin William Dodd, 2nd Btn, Resided & Memorial Faringdon, KIA 9/10/17

57807 Pvt Thomas Richard Lardner, 2/7th Btn, Memorial Faringdon, KIA 11/8/18

3171 Pvt Jasper Packer, 1st Btn, Resided & Memorial Longcot, 25/5/15

F R K Stroud, Resided Coleshill

George Albert Clinch, Resided Bourton

C Barnes, Resided Buckland

Many Thanks

Mark

Hi Rob and All Interested in The Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

I am reserching Frederick Thomas parker R W R, No 22446. He served in the 2nd Battallion after it arrived here from Malta. He was wounded I believe at Gouzeacourt Wood with a shot through the neck. I always thought this was in 1917 (Nov 20-21?) but not sure. I think there was fighting around Gouzeacourt before that, 1915??? I don't know.

He came home after being wounded (to Bishop's Itchington). I am also led to believe he spent some time in Ireland as a 'postman' for the army but I think this was for a short time only.

He was at some time transfered to the 2/4 and 5th Batt of Royal Berkshires.

He did not go to Italy when the 2nd Batt' R Warks went there in 1917. Can you or anyone help me with ANY info?

Also looking in vain for any references to a Hubert John Parker and a George Wilson parker who may have served with RWR.

Hope to have some feedback. Thanx Ray

Hi Rob and All,

Oh dear!!!!

I seem to have made a mistake regarding frederick thomas Parker of Royal Warwicks....see my first page

His Reg' No SHOULD read: No 24462.!

PS. I know I'm expecting a great deal but.. any info on Doughty and Hodson in RWReg?

Not much to go on...Possibly a James Doughty or? And a George William/william George Hodson and a Arthur Hodson? Believe a G W Hodson or W G Hodson killed in action. All from Birmingham/Smethwick/Winson Green areas.

Thanx

Ray.Been trying for ages to find info and so far no luck!!!!

Mark

Dodd, only extra detail is that he was previously 176244 of the RE.

Lardner, all I have is from CWGC.

Packer, he landed as a reinforcement for the 1st Battalion on 3.12.14, but only qualified for the 1914-15 Star. Listed as 'missing' in Bham Daily Post, 4.6.15

Stroud, nothing.

Clinch, nothing.

Barnes, I have a Pte CW Barnes, number 357 of 14th Bn. Later commissioned into one of the Bham battalions.

Sorry, that's all.

Rob

Ray,

Firstly, no luck on the Parkers. Do not give up hope however, as I am still working on the database. I have 4 volumes of the SWB list to transcribe and then I shall start work on the 26 volumes of the War & Victory medal rolls. As you can imagine this will take rather a long time.

Rob

PS I will look the others up for you in a short while

Ray,

I have 8 Doughtys.

Pte 12479 James, 2nd Bn, landed 8.12.15, died 15.10.17 from West Bromwich

Sgt 200208 James, 7 Bn, from Deritend, Bham

Also

L/Cpl J, number 1820

Pte J, 27089, died 31.5.17, from Lincolnshire

I have an A Hodson, Pte 9029, landed 22.8.14, PoW 26.8.14

and a William Geoffrey Hodson, Pte 33361, 5 Bn, from Aston.

Hope that helps,

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanx for info so far. Re Parker in RWR. Still hoping some info will turn up. As mentioned , I have so little to go on. I was always led to believe Frederick Thomas Parker was wounded at Gouzeacourt Wood, shot through the neck. That he was in Ireland for a while as a Postam for the army.

He was I'm told, frequently sent out on 'foraging' parties. That he was transfered to R Berks Reg at some stage in the war. He was promoted to L/cpl but when I do not know.

Re Doughtys. Not sure of those you found.

Sgt 200208 James Doughty of 7 Bn from deritend sounds promising if his name was James or Joseph. Any further info? L/cpl J Doughty No 1820...From Birmingham? Name James or Joseph?

Hodson. Don't know. The one I am looking for is Arthur Hodson from Smethwick/Winson green area. don't think he was a POW though as he married in B'Ham a bout 1916.

Hope to hear from you again

Many thanx,

Ray

Rob

One of my unfinished projects was to put on a data-base all the Royal Warwicks on the Birmingham Absent Voters list for 1918. I have around 500 on it so far...then I started other things.

If I can check a name for you let me know.

terry

Pilgrim

The number you quote for Doughty suggests this particular man was from the 5th Bn RWR. Their number block from the 1917 change runs from 200001-240000. The 1917 RWR block numbers for the 7th Bn run from 265001- 305000.

Terry Reeves

Ray,

The details I have given are all that I have available at present. I will not be able to add full Christian names until I embark on the War & Victory medal rolls, as I have stated elsewhere, all 26 volumes of them. A quite forbidding and daunting task, maybe when I retire (if I'm allowed to).

Terry C,

I have done quite a few wards of the AVL myself, but same as you, time, time and more time.

Terry R,

I agree with you over the number blocks. However, as Martyn Smith, states elsewhere, there is not a foolproof and totally regular numbering system.

Rob

Rob

I agree about the block numbering system, I have found a number of discrepancies myself. I have a number of personal details for RWR men including the location of photographs, with emphasis on men from Coventry. If it will be of any help please e-mail me and I will be happy to assist.

Terry Reeves

• 1 month later...

Hi Rob in tonights Birmingham Evening Mail .they have an article on

Percy Jeeves who was a Warwickshire Cricketer,he serving with the 15th Battalion Warwickshire Reg when he was killed.

Do you have him on your data base?

Best wishes John

P G Wodehouse was so impressed by Percy Jeeves after seeing him play that he named the Butler after him in his famous novels.

Three or four other Warwickshire County cricketers joined the 2nd Birmingham Battalion.

Terry

P.S.

ROB.... Do you have any info on an NCO named W W Tracey. He was in the Australian Army doing a musketry course at Hythe at the oubreak of WW1. I was told he was attached to the Royal Warwicks and was in the retreat from Mons before being posted back to Australian forces. Apparantly he is the only Australian soldier to get a Mons Star.

Terry

Hi Rob,

I would be most grateful if you could let me have any further information on the following Royal Warwickshire men

Temporary 2Lt Frank Penly Cooper, 17th Royal Warwicks (attached to 16th?). KIA 26/9/16

Private William Harrison, 15th Royal Warwicks. DOW 15/9/18 Number 35984

Private Francis Charles Hughes, 11th Royal Warwicks. KIA 12/8/17. Number 28733.

Many thanks

Alec

• 4 weeks later...
Guest camjas

Can you give any info on the following soldier?

WILLIAM McGREGOR

Private

2nd/7th Bn., Royal Warwickshire Regiment

who died on

Tuesday 4 December 1917 . Age 22 .

He is the great uncle of my wife and being from New Zealand I have little info on what the royal warwickshires were up to around the 4th dec 1917 when William died.

Can you help at all ?

Cheers

Do you have any details about the World War I service of P.H. W. 'Pip' Hicks the commander of the Airlanding Brigade at Arnhem? He is not mentioned as far as I can see in Kingsford's History of the Royal Warwicks. He was 49 in 1944.

• 1 month later...

Hi Rob,

Anything in your database on the following:

268583, Pte Harold Crompton, 2/7th R. Warwicks. KIA 19/07/16

267143 L/Cpl Thomas Birchall, 2/7th Warwicks, KIA 19/07/16

5488 Pte John Birchall, 2/7th R. Warwicks, KIA 16/07/16

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Hi Rob,

I have just seen this thread.

Is there any chancen you could please look me up the following chap. I recently puchased his victory and 1915 star medals. Unfortunately I no nothing about him what so ever, only his number and rank.

1288 Pte E Appleton

I really appreciate your help in this matter,

All the best,

Cooper

Hi, I bet you wish you never mentioned this list!

Anyway, do you have anything on a Pte S L Newey no 4098?

tony Kirk

This thread has become active again in the last few days but if you notice the originator of the topic (the Pal offering the information) hasn't contributed since February.

Apologies to all here. I have not been on the site for a very long time. I will start addressing the backlog asap.

For info, I am now transcribing the SWB roll. It is in 6 volumes and I have completed 2 (well photrographed them, they are not typed up yet). Adding lots of interesting data and a lot of new names, mainly for men who never went overseas.

Well over 38,000 names in the database now.

Normal service about to be resumed.

Rob