Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Birth Location please lads and lassies

museumtom

2 hours ago, museumtom said:

Thanks Dai, a great try, thank you, who knows you could be right. His father is listed as a widower in the 1911 Census so maybe me moved to London and married again. At this time everything is up in the air.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

Thanks Tom,

i can't actually see a William  O'Neill a Mary marrying in London (Other than one in West Ham) in that time frame.

And she doesn't appear in the official Civil Registration marriage Indexes.

I don't think it's them.

It was worth a shot Dai, in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king, your Majesty!!

Thank you for all your help.

Kind regards.

Tom.

9 hours ago, museumtom said:

Sorry lads and lassies but this lad has be wrecked. I cannot find him. Can you help please? The article is dated 21/09/1917, in the 'Roll of Honour' section. 

Thank you very much indeed.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

O'Neill.jpg

Any idea where the Benedictine College was Tom ? I can't make out the place name.

Craig

The only Benedictine College that I am aware of,of that period was St Augustine's at Ramsgate, Does it not say above it in Bruges?

Kind regards.

Tom.

Its takes a bit of experiece to read blur...

6 minutes ago, museumtom said:

The only Benedictine College that I am aware of,of that period was St Augustine's at Ramsgate, Does it not say above it in Bruges?

Kind regards.

Tom.

I think it's got 7 letters so I'm not sure on Bruges (unless there's an alternative spelling).

Craig

It is six letters Craig the 'seventh' is a right hand bracket. Sorry old man.

Kind regards.

Tom.

10 minutes ago, museumtom said:

It is six letters Craig the 'seventh' is a right hand bracket. Sorry old man.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Ahh, so it is - I was wondering if you'd spot that :thumbsup:

Craig

Yes it is Bruges, I looked up a reference to it earlier in a Google Books preview of 'Catholics of Consequence'. Although the relevant pages are omitted, it covers education for well heeled pupils in Europe rather than back in Ireland, and refers specifically to the Low Countries, and Bruges,

The author  bears the surname -O'Neill !

Ciaran O'Neill.

Link

Thanks Craig. Dai that very curious indeed. Its also possible that he did not die at all, I reckon.

Kind regards.

Tom.

What does the press cutting say Tom?

Battle of Leize Wood?

Can't find any reference to that, but the Battle of Leuze Wood was in early September 1916, part of the later Somme battles as far as I can see.

I'm no expert on it, but  it seems as though 1st/13th (Kensington) Battalion London Regiment were present in this battle. The chap I posted the CWGC data about in ID#574,   Link    William O'Neill, was in that battalion.

Thanks Dai. I thing it is a wrong spelling for Leuze Wood. The very same article was also in another newspaper from the same date and it is spelled Lelzo Wood. I went forward to September 1918 and had a look in the newspapers to see if he had a mention on the anniversary but no chance, it was not there.

Deaths, are recently died people. In Memoriam is for anniversaries, and Roll of Honour (in this section) is for recently killed soldiers. The chap you posted could very well be him but we need something to connect them. Simon places him in Dublin up to 1925.

Your help is very much appreciated, thank you Dai.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Nb my data was about Joseph Patrick's father.... 

12 minutes ago, Simon_Fielding said:

Nb my data was about Joseph Patrick's father.... 

Was just about to post to say the same- that it was William (Senior) who was known to be alive in 1925.

Yes indeed,, I was also speaking about Joseph Father William. You see Joseph is listed in the article as "Willie" maybe that was his first name and not Joseph?

Kind regards.

Tom.

11 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Yes indeed,, I was also speaking about Joseph Father William. You see Joseph is listed in the article as "Willie" maybe that was his first name and not Joseph?

Kind regards.

Tom.

Yes Tom.

That's why I looked for William 'O Neill in the CWGC database.

I  suppose  searching for birth or baptism records is tricky as we 1) don't know his correct name nor 2) his exact date of birth. All we know is his father's name, and the fact that the lad was 19 in 1916 or 1917.

Thanks Dai, thank you kindly.

His father was born in Wicklow according to the 1911 Census (thanks Simon), I could not find either of them in the 1901 Census though. We dont have a rank, unit, date of death, age, corre3ct name?, or even place of birth for this lad. One possibility is that he may not have died at all?

Kind regards.

Tom.

Is this the family in 1901 in Dublin?

William senior, Surveyor, born Co.Wicklow. Age 44 (So born 1857. In 1911, he is 51, so born 1860)

Spouse- Mary.

'Willie'(Junior), is actually James aged 4. Born Dublin City.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Merchants_Quay/Meath_Street/1299532/

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

May I, cap in hand, ask for a little bit of help, yet again please? Sorry for being a pain, but its what I do best, just ask the wife!

I am convinced that this man was married to an Emma Wilson, and also may have used the spelling Killalea. Can you help please?

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/563490/KILLALEE, H

He is not in FMP, but is in IMR and SDGW.

Thank you kindly in advance.

Tom/

Morning Tom.

I can't see a marriage in Emgland & Wales for H.Killalee or Killalea, marrying a Wilson in that timeframe.

3 Killalee weddings in Blackburn/Bolton between 1918-20, possibly brothers & sister:

Michael, Bolton 1918

Mary H., Blackburn 1920

Frank, Blackburn 1920

First name Hubert. Here's his Medal Index Card:

MIC

Born Blackburn

Births Dec 1894   (>99%)
Killalea  Hubert    Blackburn  8e 340  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Thanks Dai, very interesting indeed. I did find his marriage in Dublin in 1915, but in the box where his fathers name is Frederick Killalee. Jow maybe his father was dead at that time and someone replaced him, who knows?

I appreciate you input very much indeed.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Killalea.PNG