Regiment/Service:

Essex Regiment

"K" Coy. 1st Bn.

Grave Reference

IV. E. 5.

Cemetery

VLAMERTINGHE MILITARY CEMETERY

Additional Information:

Son of James and Margaret Frances, of 3, Grove Road, Wanstead, London.

I have eliminated him for Wanstead (my interest) but SDGW gives his birthplace as Fermoy, resident Ballydaheen, Co.Cork and enlsited at Mallow.  Possible SDGW is a different man but parental names and 9111 Census show a man of that name in the area- if so, then Essex Regiment is explicable rather than an Irish regiment

Thank you GUEST, yes indeed I do have Charles M Francis, thank you kindly.

Thanks Paul, i was kinda hoping that this lads father would not be James as it add to the mystery. Here is what I have- from a newspaper article dated 24/05/1917...Gunner F Keary, Artillery, killed May, 1917. Father James of Dublin and Liverpool. How can we square the two together I wonder? He did have a brother, Michael Keary, Liverpool Regiment who was killed 09/04/1917. He was born in Dublin.

Thanks for help me, it is very much appreciated.

Kind regards.

Tom,

Now that I read it, they seem to add the date of death for Michael and Frank as the same, May 1917, which looks like an error. There are pre war records of a no 8834, Frank Keary in FMP with a father James and mother Annie of 16 Poplar Grove Liverpool but the brothers are listed as Joseph and John.

Does that help or confuse things? I reckon that 54803 is the same Frank Keary as is in the newspaper article but I need  bit more to nail it.

His brother was Michael Keary, listed in SDGW as Kelly. here he is in CWGC.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/1575055/KEARY, MICHAEL

Kindest regards.

Tom.

Sorry guys and gals, may I have another bit of help please.?

The lad below, he is not in FMP, and no NOK details in CWGC. Can you add anything to him please? I apologise for this as I though I was finished annoying ye, but such is life I am afraid.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/470528/

Than you sincerely for any help you can give.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Edited by museumtom

1 hour ago, museumtom said:

Sorry guys and gals, may I have another bit of help please.?

The lad below, he is not in FMP, and no NOK details in CWGC. Can you add anything to him please? I apologise for this as I though I was finished annoying ye, but such is life I am afraid.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/470528/

Than you sincerely for any help you can give.

Kind regards.

Tom.

James Sloan on the effects register (or Tronds Sloan under the original Ancestry transcription...). The record show he was alias Thomas Sloan.

Effects paid to his father Thomas. Less than 12 months qualifying service.

SDGW states he enlisted in Waterford. Birthplace listed as "St. Marys, Lanark, N.b. "

Craig

Thank you Craig, that answers a lot of questions, especially 'Tronds' as he has a listing in a newspaper as Trooper T Sloan, but lists his regiment as the Lancers. It gives the same date of death as J Sloan that's why I thought they were the same man.

Your info gives me a lot to work with, thank you kindly Craig, you are a gentleman.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

Thank you Craig, I would appreciate it. No rush.

Kind regards.

Tom.

That would be too easy Craig.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Happy New Year to all the forum pals!!

May I please ask you to see if you can find any reference to the death, probably in 1917, of William Stratford Eyre Worthington-Eyre of the Royal Engineers. Not a sausage can I find on his death anywhere, can you help please?

Thanking you all most kindly in advance.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Happy New Year Tom. He was an officer (Lieutenant) I think. Not found anything on his death yet, but, possibly have been a dentists before the war? Chances are there will be a service record for him at Kew (If I have the right chap?

London Gazette

Mike

Think he died last quarter of 1927 (if I have the right chap) ref Name: William S Eyre

District: Caistor... County: Lincolnshire... Year: 1927... Quarter: 4... Year of Birth: 1872... Age: 55... Volume: 7a... Page: 0722...

Mike

Thank you kindly Mike. I have a newspaper snipper in two Dublin newspapers, ( I think one copied the other) saying that he died. But you could be right just the same.

Than

ks Mike!!

If it says 1920 then we are screwed and the report was wrong. Thanks for trying Mike.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

William's RE medal roll entry which does not record a death or any new information not already visible on the medal card:

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/5119/41629_611411_5780-00072?pid=790071&backurl=//search.ancestry.co.uk//cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc%3DAKB312%26_phstart%3DsuccessSource%26usePUBJs%3Dtrue%26indiv%3D1%26db%3DIWOServiceMedalAwardRolls%26gss%3Dangs-d%26new%3D1%26rank%3D1%26_F00061C3%3Droyal%20engineers%26_F00061C3_x%3D1%26MSAV%3D1%26uidh%3D6cy%26pcat%3D39%26fh%3D14%26h%3D790071%26recoff%3D%26ml_rpos%3D15&treeid=&personid=&hintid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=AKB312&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true#?imageId=41629_636897_11241-00191

and entry from your transcriptions (?) on FMP indicates (together with the medal card, cwgc etc) that it was his brother Lionel George (who was training as an engineer before joining the artillery) who died in 1917:

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=ire%2fmil%2fnatrollhono%2f1025056

Could this be William's death (fits in with 1892 birth recorded in the 1901 census http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=ire%2fc1901%2f10049724)?:

Name: William S Worthington-Eyre
Estimated birth year: abt 1892
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1955
Death Age: 63
Registration district: Ballinasloe
Volume: 4
Page: 25
FHL Film Number: 257855
Edited by Justinth

Excellent sleuthing Justin, I think you have nailed it.

Thank you kindly.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Sorry lads and lassies but this lad has be wrecked. I cannot find him. Can you help please? The article is dated 21/09/1917, in the 'Roll of Honour' section. 

Thank you very much indeed.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

O'Neill.jpg

Looking good Simon, thank you kindly, lets see what I can dig up out of that...

http://www.dia.ie/architects/view/4184/O'NEILL-WILLIAMPATRICK

"By 1910 he had changed his name to Mackey-O'Neill and moved to the suburbs. He was still living in Rathfarnham in 1925. "

Danged if I can figure this out Simon. I looked for him in Ormond Quay in the 1911 census without success.

This lad has me lost, it like a cryptic crossword.

Thank you for all your help, Simon, it is very much appreciated.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Seeing as how he's called 'Willie', I was looking at all the William O'Neills on the CWGC database.

The only one who is listed at 19 yrs is this lad, it just so happens that his father is also William, but he lives in London, and he was killed in 1916.

(But the roll of Honour doesn't actually give a year of death does it?

Just a thought:

Private
Service No:
Date of Death:
09/09/1916
Regiment/Service:
London Regiment

1st/13th Kensington Bn.
Panel Reference:
Pier and Face 9 D 9 C 13 C and 12 C.
Memorial:
THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Additional Information:
Son of William and Mary Josephine O'Neill, of 61, Blandfields Rd., Balham, London.
Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Thanks Dai, a great try, thank you, who knows you could be right. His father is listed as a widower in the 1911 Census so maybe me moved to London and married again. At this time everything is up in the air.

Kindest regards.

Tom.