Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli brothers

bobpike

Marc,

Thank you very much, they are not known to me. I would be most interested in their photos if you can send them to me or post them on the Forum?

Kind Regards

Bob

Marc,

Thank you, these are excellent and very poignant, I would be most interested in any further information, please and will send you my email address,

Bob

Bob

I don't know if yoou have pictures of the Fippard brothers - if not I can get them for you from the Polytechnic Magazine where they attended the Commercial School

Tony

Tony

I don't that would be great, thank you. Especially because of their same day 'uniqueness.' I'll PM you my email address,

Kind Regards,

Bob

• 2 months later...

Just to let you know that the 'brothers' keep coming up. Here are a few more, hopefully it may provoke a new input. In grateful anticipation,

Bob

Barnes Pte. G 7AIF 26.5.15 – Shrapnel Valley Cem 2D17 and Pte. H 5AIF 14-15.8.15 – Lone Pine Mem 24.

Cochrane Pte. A D 27AIF 9.12.15 – Ari Burnu Cem H1 and Pte. A J S 10AIF 2.5.15 – Lone Pine Mem 32.

Cowell Pte. R and Pte. C 6E Yks 9.8.15 – Helles Mem 51-4.

Denny (Denney) Spr. J Aust Engrs 1 Div Sig Co 27.4.15 – Lone Pine Cem 3c3 and Pte. J A 11AIF 28.6.15 – Shell Green Cem 2G12.

Dunn 2Lt. F W M and 2Lt. J R C 5Welch 20.8.15 – Helles Mem 140-4.

Green Pte. Frank 1/8Hants 12.8.15 and Pte. Fredk. 2Hants 28.4.15 - Helles Mem 125-34.

Jackson Pte. J 16AIF 29.8.15 – Embarkation Pier Cem Sp. Mem B38 and Pte. A G 19AIF

2.5.15 – Quinn’s Post Cem D11.

Sibbick Pte. H F 2Hants 2.7.15 and Rfn. R R 1/8Hants 12.8.15 - Helles Mem 125-34

Spray Pte. G 6Lincs 9.8.15 – Helles Mem 44-46 and Pte. J 9N&D 9.8.15 – Helles Mem 150-2.

probably already have these. All NZEF

8/1514 Joseph HUNTER kia 10/08/1915

9/937 David HUNTER kia 21/08/1915

and their two brothers

49282 Harry HUNTER kia 03/12/1917

39241 William HUNTER kia 23/10/1918

and the fifth brother 8/3632 John HUNTER died of the effects of gas in the late 1920s. The mother of these men unvailed the Riverton memorial on its completion. I'm sure you have them but thought the fifth brother might have been of interest.

Thank you very much. In fact, three of them are of interest as I only knew of the two who died on Gallipoli.

Another tragic tale,

I'm afraid,

Kind Regards,

Bob

Hi bob

Here are two brothers that are from my own home village of Rankinston in East Ayrshire, Scotland. On the memorial there are 3 sets of brothers and another family who lost 4 brothers. These two men have been researched by me and if you need any other details email me.

CLEMENT, DAVID PURDIE

Private 1579

Clement, James

Private 4005

I have a picture of James, but im afraid i have not yet managed to gat a picture of David.

Regards

James Brown

James, I've only just joined the forum so I was amazed to find this post. David and James Clement were cousins of my great-grandfather, Robert Clement. Robert was in the TA prior to WW1 but was never called up as he was in a reserved occupation—he worked in No. 4 Melting Shop at David Colville and Sons’ Dalzell Steel Works in Motherwell. Robert's family emigrated to Australia in the 1920s (although I now live in Scotland myself).

I'd be very interested in making contact and perhaps getting a copy of the picture of James, if possible, please.

Further to a post i made on another thread i am trying to trace the details on two brothers who served together in the Dardanelles(i assume Gallipoli) and was wondering if anyone could help?

The details are very vague so i'm not holding out much hope, but any information would be a help and may bring to light some facts. So here goes: The two brothers in question are the Shannon brothers,Thomas and Joseph both who hailed from Dublin originally.Thomas i have found out was the eldest of the two in the Dardanelles, and was killed on that front. Joseph would have been considerably younger than his brother and did i believe join up much later and may have lied about his age to enlist. Joseph survived the war with his other brother Patrick, who served 1/8th battalion the Kings Liverpool Regiment(Liverpool Irish) and was severely injured in France. Those are all the details i have. No numbers, no ranks and not even their regiment or battalion.

See, i said the details were vague :unsure: but any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you....Tom.

Uqfegd.

SHANNON, THOMAS

Initials: T

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Dublin Fusiliers

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 12/07/1915

Service No: 17614

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 190 to 196.

Memorial: HELLES MEMORIAL

bobpike,

This chap has been suggested before, the only problem would be if i could find out if his younger brother Joseph is registered somewhere as serving in the same regiment if not battalion. If he was then i would almost be sure that this was our man. Also, would it be likely that Thomas would serve with the Dublin Fusiliers if he lived in England?

I have just today found out that Thomas owned or ran a small shop in Kent, and was married just prior to going off to war. He was killed pretty soon after arriving in the Dardanelles, and so no children were produced from the marriage. As such his story ended there, so to speak.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Tom.

Uqfegd.

Some more New Zealand brothers for the list - the following Wellington Infantry Regiment brothers were killed in action on 13 June 1917:

Surname HOLZ

Given Name Allan

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 3

Regimental Number 39534

Rank Private

Next of Kin Title Mrs B

Next of Kin Surname HOLZ

Next of Kin Relationship Mother

Next of Kin Address Berhampore Wellington

Roll 52

Page 9

Occupation Fitter

Source: Nominal Roll

http://muse.aucklandmuseum.com/databases/g...OriginalID=7125

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...?casualty=92223

Surname HOLZ

Given Name Ernest John Julius

Regimental Number 39535

Rank Private

Next of Kin Title Mrs B

Next of Kin Surname HOLZ

Roll 52

Page 9

Occupation Labourer

http://muse.aucklandmuseum.com/databases/g...OriginalID=7126

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...?casualty=92224

Brigadier General Herbert Hart in his diary refers to these deaths as follows: “Pont Nieppe where lived was shelled fairly steadily. Three brothers in the 3rd Wellington Bn were killed by one shell, which burst where they were sleeping.” Source: “The Devil’s Own War” page 184.

The third brother, however, survived:

Surname HOLZ

Given Name William Percy

Regimental Number 39536

Rank Private

Next of Kin Title Mrs B

Next of Kin Surname HOLZ

Roll 52

Page 9

Occupation Cabinetmaker

http://muse.aucklandmuseum.com/databases/g...riginalID=83476

Zack

Zack

Thank you very much for these details, however they do not belong in this thread which is one or more brother dying on Gallipoli or as a direct result of service there.

There is I believe a separate thread of brothers dying the same day.

My thanks anyway,

Bob

Can I add the Woodside brothers of Glasgow to this list.

2/Lt David Cunningham Woodside was wounded at Helles with 1/4th Royal Scots Fusiliers on 31st December 1915 and died of wounds in hospital in Glasgow on 26 February 1916.

His brother, 2/Lt Hugh Marr Woodside was killed on the Somme with 9th Bn HLI on 15 July 1916.

Another brother, 2/Lt Archibald Mitchell Woodside died of wounds on 23 April 1918 with 18 Bn HLI.

A fourth brother , 2/Lt Thomas Leadbetter Woodside survived.

Neil

Neil,

Thank you for these details. I have got them on my list, but it is fitting to bring their tragic story into prominence, albeit briefly,

Regards,

Bob

• 2 weeks later...
I am undertaking a project for 'The Gallipoli Association,' listing brothers who were killed in the Great War, at least one of whom either died on Gallipoli or as a result of wounds received there & is buried elsewhere - Malta, Egypt etc.

I am particularly keen for confirmed suggestions in the British Army, Newfoundland Regt, even French Army, as with the excellent AWM records I think I have fairly well researched Australian candidates (as well as NZ) ones.

Surprisingly, perhaps, the total at present is 707 sets of brothers!

I found your post whilst doing a search of the Forum I don’t know if you are still after information, if so, do you have the following:

Private 1496 Thomas John Tuck, 1/5th (Flintshire) Btn, Royal Welsh Fusiliers, Died aged 24yrs on 22/8/1915 and remembered on the Helles Memorial Turkey.

Private 1097 Francis Douglas Tuck, 1/5th (Flintshire’s) Btn, Royal Welsh Fusiliers, Died aged 20yrs on

5/10/1915 and buried in Alexandria (Chatby) Memorial Cemetery, Egypt.

Thomas and Francis were the only sons of John and Susan Tuck of Hawarden in Flintshire, there Father John was a Bootmaker/Repairer with a shop in the village.

Kindest regards and A Merry Christmas.

Stephen.

Stephen,

Thank you very much, these are new to me.

You might be interested to know the totals now stand at two hundred and one sets of brothers who both perished on Gallipoli in a campaign that lasted just over eight months. But apart from these, there are at least a further two thousand and sixty-six instances of men who died as a result of service at Gallipoli

Yours gratefully & Happy New Year,

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

Another set -

BEALING Pte. E C NZAMC 1Fld Amb 25.11.17 - Hooge Crater Cem 11D12 and

BEALING Pte. F W NZEF WIR 8.8.15 - Chunuk Bair Mem 19,

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

More -

Farrelly Tpr. O L NZEF AMR 8.8.15 – Chunuk Bair Mem 2 and Pte. R L J NZEF AIR 23.8.18 – Grevillers BC 11AA20.

Hi Bob

Great to see you're still plugging away at it!

And just incase you ever decide to extend your project to cover Fathers & sons - I came across the following the other day:

The Argus, Wed 23 June 1915:

ROLL OF HONOUR

PRIVATES D. VEITCH and A.W. VEITCH

Father and son, Donald Veitch and Private A.W. Veitch, who enlisted together, are reported missing. Mrs D. Veitch resides at 3 Verity street, Richmond. There are 12 children, of whom Private A.W. Veitch (20 years of age) is the eldest. The missing soldiers were close companions, and were in the same tent at Broadmeadows and also in Egypt. They are well known in Fitzroy and Carlton.

VEITCH, Donald – Pte 158, 7th Bn, B Coy

Born Glasgow, Scotland. Wife – Mary Ellen of Richmond

Some children: Clara Ellen; George Annas; James; Edward; Florence T; Reginald; Albert Harold; Richard

Waterside Worker

Enlisted 17/8/1914 age 38

Originally listed as Missing 25/4/1915 – later confirmed as KIA at Court of Inquiry held in France 3-5/9/1917

Commemorated on the Lone Pine Memorial

VEITCH, Arthur Wilson – Pte 157, 7th Bn, B Coy

Born Brunswick, Vic, son of Donald Wilson & Mary Ellen VEITCH

Paper Miller

Enlisted 17/8/1914, age 19yrs 8mths

Originally listed as Missing 25/4/1915 – later confirmed as KIA at Court of Inquiry held in France 3-5/9/1917

Commemorated on the Lone Pine Memorial

Red Cross Wounded & Missing Files:

Pte G. Tracey, 155 7th Bn states that “They stuck together on the Peninsula and landed from the same boat from the transport Clan McGillivray on the 25th April and went up together with informant into the firing line. Informant spoke to them and then he got wounded on the same day.”

Pte W.J. Davies, 187 7th Bn states that “They were behind a bush shooting at the advancing Turks on the 25th April. We were all withdrawn save a batch including the abovenamed casualties.”

Cheers, Frev

Frev,

Thank you very much. Yes I do 'collect' fathers and sons but not just in a Gallipoli context. This is a very tragic tale, isn't it -how did Mrs. Veitch cope?

If you find any more (or brothers) please let me know,

Kind Regards,

Bob

Bob

BEALING BROTHERS

Surname BEALING

Given Name Ernest Charles

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 1

Regimental Number 3/983

Rank Private

Body or Draft Seventh

Unit or Regiment Medical Corps

Marital Status S

Last NZ Address Buckland Fielding

Next of Kin Title F J

Next of Kin Surname BEALING

Next of Kin Relationship Brother

Next of Kin Address Fielding

3/983; Pte; Bealing, Ernest Charles, NZMC, Killed in action, France, 25/11/17

Source: The Great War NZEF Roll of Honour page 18

http://muse.aucklandmuseum.com/databases/C...1&Ordinal=1

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=457439

http://archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?OID=9609952

Surname BEALING

Given Name Francis Walters

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 1

Regimental Number 10/1410

Rank Sergeant

Body or Draft Third

Unit or Regiment Wellington Infantry Batln

Marital Status S

Last NZ Address c/- Times Rotorua

Next of Kin Title F J

Next of Kin Surname BEALING

Next of Kin Relationship Brother

Next of Kin Address Coachbuilder Fielding

10/1410; Pte; Bealing, Francis Walters, Wellington Infantry Regiment, Killed in action, Gallipoli, 8/8/15

Source: The Great War NZEF Roll of Honour page 18

http://muse.aucklandmuseum.com/databases/C...0&Ordinal=1

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=679749

http://archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?OID=9609953

Zack