Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli brothers

bobpike

Many thanks, Geoff. The Davie brpthers are a rarity, both being in Pieta MC!

Bob

Hi Bob:

I am married to one of the great-nephews of the four Watherston brothers Ted (Edward), Jim (James), Frank & Cyril. The story of their deaths is one that has been passed down to each new generation in our family. In fact, it was one of the first stories my then future mother-in-law ever told me.

The Watherston boys were the 3rd, 5th, 7th and 8th children of James & Isabella. They had ten children in all but one died around the age of 2 thus leaving them with 9 surviving children -- 5 boys and 4 girls.

The tragedy of losing all four of the boys at war is one that still haunts the family and is only heightened by the earlier tragedy of James and Isabella at Boston Island.

In 1896, James, Isabella and Frank left their home at Boston Island in a flat bottom dinghy en route to their cutter when their dinghy was swamped by heavy waves and the boat overturned. Frank, who was 13 at the time, was with them but managed to make it back to shore and survive. James and Isabella clung to the gunwales but by the time the boat had washed to shore, both had drowned. The accident was witnessed by their children who were watching from shore.

At the time of their deaths, their oldest child was only 18, the youngest about 3 years.

Over the years we have tried to find as much as we can about the four boys. My brother-in-law has even taken sand from Boston Island to put on the graves of James, Cyril and Edward in France. He has yet to make it to Frank's grave in Greece.

We have a photo of Ted (Edward Alexander) and the Prayer Card announcing their deaths if you're interested in receiving a copy of those. Otherwise, if there's any additional information you can share on these boys in your research, we'd love to know more.

Best,

Mia

Mia,

Thank you very much - a fascinating and, oh so tragic a story.

I have sent you a message re the photo of Ted (Edward Alexander) and the Prayer Card announcing their deaths. I will send you a photo of Frank's grave, too.

Once again thank you,

Kind Regards

Bob

1109 Private George Geddes, 1/5th King's Own Scottish Borderers; kia 12/07/1915, Helles Memorial

12653 Lance Corporal David Geddes, 6th King's Own Scottish Borderers; kia 25th Sep 1915, Loos Memorial

Sons of David and Margaret Geddes, Dalbeattie, Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland.

Stuart

Guest geoff501
No luck....

In 1901 census, Bellingham:

Annie 31

Charles W. 6

Gordon 4

John P. 1

Possible brother:

Name: GILROY

Initials: G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Durham Light Infantry

Unit Text: 1st/8th Bn.

Date of Death: 12/04/1916

Service No: 8/3640

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. C. 10.

Cemetery: RIDGE WOOD MILITARY CEMETERY

Geoff, Stuart,

Grateful thanks, they're all new to me,

Kind Regards

Bob

Guest geoff501
Geoff,

New again, as ever, thank you, Bob

Bob,

About a third of the way into the AIF records so far. I'm of course finding many you already have, but these are filtered out

by checking on the GA website. Still a few more to be expected.

geoff

Guest geoff501

http://www.aif.adfa.edu.au:8080/showPerson?pid=131889

Name: HAYES, JAMES LAWRENCE

Initials: J L

Nationality: Australian

Regiment/Service: Australian Infantry, A.I.F.

Unit Text: 5th Bn.

Date of Death: 05/06/1915

Service No: 1357

Additional information: Son of John William and Betty Hayes, of 12, Alfred St., Darwen, England.

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. C. 25.

Cemetery: SHRAPNEL VALLEY CEMETERY

Name: HAYES, THOMAS

Initials: T

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery

Unit Text: 92nd Bty. 17th Bde.

Date of Death: 26/04/1918

Service No: 8624

Additional information: Son of John W. and Betty Hayes, of 12, Alfred St., Darwen, Lancs.

Grave/Memorial Reference: V. B. 40.

Cemetery: HARINGHE (BANDAGHEM) MILITARY CEMETERY

Geoff,

Thank you again. I shall be away over the weekend, so if you post more I shall be unable to acknowledge till Monday,

Bob