Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli brothers

bobpike

Bob, you already have the Hodgman brothers, but you may be interested to know that a third brother, Frank Rule Hodgman, served in the 52nd Bn, AIF, was wounded (shot in the head) at Mouquet Farm, and was consequently discharged. He went back to his civilian occupation of mariner, and died as the captain of the barquentine Southern Cross, when that ship was lost without trace and with all 100 hands off King Island, near Tasmania, in 1920.

Not sure if you have these, but couldn't find them in a search of this topic:

Pte Alexander BARNETT, 884, 12th Battalion AIF. Killed in action apparently before landing and buried at sea, 25 Apr 1915.

Brother; L/Cpl Charles BARNETT, 600, 28th Bn. DOW (GSW to head) France, 30 May 1916.

Krithia,

They are, indeed, new to me, thank you very much.

Bryn,

The Hodgman story is very interesting, a further tragedy. And, yes, I did not know of the Barnett brothers, so my thanks again,

Bob

Geoff,

All new, thank you, but I cannot identify Miller's brother either, no clues to be found. Hopefully someone will prove me wrong!

Bob

Bob,

Possible set here. Pte Mullen may have died of wounds received at Gallipoli. The AIF record states he was the first Australian soldier to die in England.

(think I've heard that quoted before somewhere of someone?)

Cannot check his record at NAA, which would tell, as it is running slow at present.

Pte Hugh James MULLEN 14th Bn. 19th May 1915 Birmingham (Lodge Hill) Cemetery

Pte David MULLEN 2nd Pioneers 13th October 1917 Aeroplane Cemetery

http://www.aif.adfa.edu.au:8080/showPerson?pid=217277

Bob,

Possible set here. Pte Mullen may have died of wounds received at Gallipoli. The AIF record states he was the first Australian soldier to die in England.

(think I've heard that quoted before somewhere of someone?)

Cannot check his record at NAA, which would tell, as it is running slow at present.

Pte Hugh James MULLEN 14th Bn. 19th May 1915 Birmingham (Lodge Hill) Cemetery

Pte David MULLEN 2nd Pioneers 13th October 1917 Aeroplane Cemetery

http://www.aif.adfa.edu.au:8080/showPerson?pid=217277

Got through finally. On page 35: Died of wounds received in action at Gallipoli.

More to add, Geoff, thank you,

Bob

Only another 80,000 records to check! The last two were the only new sets that came out of searching through 20,000 - although many more were sets you already have

• 2 weeks later...

Geoff,

As ever, thank you. Scotts were new to me, but I had the Scoullers; the list grows apace!

Kind Regards,

Bob

Bob, do you have an up to date count of the number of set so far?

I've found another possible local set, but may have trouble identifying the brother - name is Williams - no so easy.