Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli brothers

bobpike

BAMBERY-Private-GEORGE SWEETEN-726-15th Bn.-Australian Infantry, A.I.F----26/04/1915--Son of Timothy and Margaret Bambery, of Fingal Head, Tweed River, New South Wales---LONE PINE MEMORIAL-45

BAMBERY-Private-TIMOTHY RICHARD-725-15th Bn.-Australian Infantry, A.I.F----27/04/1915-30-Son of Timothy and Margaret Bambery, of Fingal Head, Tweed River, New South Wales---LONE PINE MEMORIAL-45

Hi Bob

I am Currently researching a Memorial roll of Honour Came across these two Brothers S.L.Wells +J.J.Wells

Following is my provisional research into these two brothers

WELLS SAMUEL LEO

Private SAMUEL LEO WELLS

10544, 6th Bn., Yorkshire Regiment

Son of the late Samuel Wells a Labourer and Lydia Wells, of 124, Essex St., Middlesbrough

Private Wells was killed in an attack on the Turkish positions at Lala Baba hill during

the Gallipoli campaign on August 7th 1915 aged just 19.

Samuel can be found on the 1911 census residing with his parents at 124 Essex Street

Described as a Apprentice Painter and decorator

Born Middlesbrough

HELLES MEMORIAL

WELLS JOHN JAMES

Lance Corporal JOHN JAMES WELLS

R/293, 11th Bn., King's Royal Rifle Corps

John James Wells was the brother of Samuel listed above.

Lance Corporal Wells was killed in actions at the Battle of the Menin Road during the

Passchendaele offensive on September 19th 1917 at the age of 24.

Described as a Engine cleaner employed by the North Eastern Railways on the 1911 Census

Also residing at 124 Essex Street

TYNE COT MEMORIAL

Could not find them on your thread are they additions ?

Regards Ray

Robert Ellis Owen R/921 KRRC Killed 13.10.15 Rue-du-Bacquerot, Laventie

Ellis Owen L/S 2791 RWF KIlled 10.08.1915. Helles Memorial

Sons of Mr & Mrs Simon Owen, 7, Rock Terrace, Harlech, Merioneth.

Dave and Ray,

Thank you very much for this information, much to my delight both pairs of brothers are not known to me, so are very welcome additions to the list,

kind regards,

Bob

Hi Bob I believe I may have another pair of brothers for you

from this family commemorative stone

5428090195_2e1f1778ef_z.jpg

Transcript of the inscription

IN LOVING MEMORY OF

SONS OF CHARLES + ANNIE WHITFIELD

WHO ANSWERED THE GREAT CALL 1914-1918

DRIVER CHARLES WHITFIELD R F A

GALLIPOLI MESOPOTANIA

DIED AT ????? INDIA OCT 25 1918 AGED 25 YEARS

ALSO Pt JOHN WM WHITFIELD 6TH YORKS

DIED OCT 14 1919 AGED 21 YEARS

ALSO CHARLES FATHER OF THE ABOVE

BELOVED HUSBAND OF ANNIE WHITFIELD

LOST AT SEA SEPT 13 1922 AGED 58 YEARS

Charles

Driver C WHITFIELD

33859, 69th Bty., Royal Field Artillery

who died on 25 October 1918

KIRKEE 1914-1918 MEMORIAL

I have at this point in time been unable to match up the details for john william whitfield from the memorial with with CWGC precisely

I have attached a copy of 1911 census as confirmation of there identity

regards ray

Edit I have returned to the cemetery had another look at the stone and added the previous un deciphered transcription to the Transcript of the memorial

post-45309-095654800 1297186980.jpg

Thanks, Ray,

Sorry to be late in replying have been in France. Anything further on identifying John?

Regards,

Bob

Hi Bob I cannot find John I Have started a New Thread to try and identify him

See (I Cannot Find This Soldier Help)

regards Ray

Ray,

Excellent , I'll follow it, too, but please let me know any result in case I miss it,

kind regards,

Bob

Some more,

BALL-Lance Corporal-HENRY LESLIE-13927-10th Bn.-Hampshire Regiment----28/08/1915-21-Son of Albert Edward and Emily Blanche Ball, of 76, Middle St., Southampton---HELLES MEMORIAL-Panel 125-134 or 223-226 228-229 & 328

BALL-Private-ALBERT VICTOR-8/2404--NZEF Otago Regiment----07/12/1915-25-Son of Albert Edward and Emily Blanche Ball, of 76, Middle St., Southampton. Native of Totterdown, Bristol, England---EMBARKATION PIER CEMETERY-Sp. Mem. A. 7

RALSTON-Lance Corporal-ALEXANDER-227-6th Bn.-Highland Light Infantry----12/07/1915-22-Son of Alexander Ralston, of 17, Lawrence St., Partick, Glasgow---HELLES MEMORIAL-Panel 173 to 177

RALSTON-Private-JOHN-1927-6th Bn.-Highland Light Infantry----12/07/1915-20-Son of Alexander Ralston, of 17. Lawrence St., Partick, Glasgow---HELLES MEMORIAL-Panel 173 to 177

O`KEEFFE-Serjeant-LAWRENCE CADOGAN-9/68--NZEF Otago Mounted Rifles----11/08/1915-24-Son of Alfred Henry and Jane O'Keeffe, of 52, Normandy St., Musselburgh, Dunedin---LONE PINE MEMORIAL-72

O`KEEFFE-Trooper-VICTOR ALFRED-7/766--NZEF Canterbury Mounted Rifles----23/08/1915-22-Son of Alfred Henry and Jane O'Keeffe, of 52, Normandy St., Musselburgh, Dunedin. Native of Dunedin---LONE PINE MEMORIAL-72

HOOK-Lieutenant-DUNCAN--9th Bn.-Lancashire Fusiliers----07/08/1915-27-Son of Allan James and Janet Hook, of "Madronas," Cobble Hill, Vancouver Island, British Columbia. Born at Churt, Surrey, England---HILL 10 CEMETERY-I. C. 18

HOOK-Second Lieutenant-ROBIN--9th Bn.-Lancashire Fusiliers----07/08/1915-24-Son of Allan James and Janet Hook, of "Madronas," Cobble Hill, Vancouver Island, British Columbia. Born at Churt, Surrey, England---HILL 10 CEMETERY-I. C. 17

AUCHTERLONIE-Lieutenant-ARCHIBALD VIVIAN--25th Bn.-Australian Infantry, A.I.F----20/10/1915-23-Son of Archibald and Elizabeth Auchterlonie of "Fiona", Marne Rd., Albion, Brisbane, Queensland. Native of Gympie, Queensland---EMBARKATION PIER CEMETERY-Sp. Mem. A. 31

AUCHTERLONIE-Sergeant-BERTRAND INNES-1702-15th Bn.-Australian Infantry, A.I.F----08/08/1915-21-Son of Archibald and Elizabeth Auchterlonie, of "Fiona," Mame Rd., Albion, Queensland. Native of Gympie---LONE PINE MEMORIAL-44

COWELL-Corporal-HENRY LENNOX-70-5th-Australian Light Horse----07/08/1915-37-Son of Arthur Alexander Cowell and Jessie Lennox Cowell. Native of Apsley, Victoria, Australia---LONE PINE MEMORIAL-5

COWELL-Private-SIDNEY LEWIS-578-6th Bn.-Australian Infantry, A.I.F----15/08/1915-28-Son of Arthur Alexander Cowell and Jessie Lennox Cowell; husband of E. Cowell, of Stanhope St., Daylesford, Victoria, Australia. Native of Apsley, Victoria---SHRAPNEL VALLEY CEMETERY-II. A. 1

Hi,

This thread has been going on for a few years now.

A staggering list indeed and a saddening one. Similar stories we heard in our history in songs and poems and books in Turkey. This I think is what makes up a Nation. I believe this is what Ataturk meant when he made his famous speech about "the heroes who died and are now in the bosom of our country. Side by side with our sons Mehmetcik".

I am writing an article to Turkish AA on " Brothers/Father son who died in gallipoli"( ANZAC and other British contingents separately if possible )

I have to make sure I have correct statistics. I need the exact number of them to make the article "effective".

And I need a few print size photos, taken in " gallipoli" if possible.

In memory of those brothers and fathers, sons who died in Gallipoli, please accept the translation of a folk poem ( anonymus) on loss of a child.

I appreciate your attention and help.( and I need the above named in a few days ).

Hem okudum hem de yazdım,<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><BR clear=all>Yalan dünya senden bezdim,<BR clear=all>Dağlar koyağını gezdim,<BR clear=all>Yiten yavru bulunur mu? </B>

I have both read and wrote,

What a fake you are life! I am weary of you

I have travelled the revines in mountains

Could a youngster lost be found? I wonder?

Regards

• 4 months later...

Hi Bob

These two brothers were both killed at Gallipoli. There were four boys in this family and all were killed in the war.

George Sidney James

Name: JAMES, GEORGE SIDNEY

Initials: G S

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Manchester Regiment

Unit Text: 5th Bn

Date of Death: 04/06/1915

Additional information: Son of the Rev. C. H. James and Emily Maria James, of Epperstone Rectory, Nottingham. Of Haigh, Lancs.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: X. E. 20.

Cemetery: REDOUBT CEMETERY, HELLES

Francis Arthur James

Name: JAMES

Initials: F A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Manchester Regiment

Unit Text: 5th Bn.

Date of Death: 18/09/1915

Additional information: Son of the Rev. C. H. and Mrs. James, of Epperstone Rectory, Notts. Born at Haigh, Lancs.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Sp. Mem. 156.

Cemetery: PINK FARM CEMETERY, HELLES

fajames.jpg

I'm hoping that I will soon obtain a photo of George. If I do I will add it to this post.

Jonathan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Bob

Private FRANCIS FORD (Frank)

3/8327, 4th Bn., Yorkshire Regiment

Frank was wounded in fighting on the Chemin des Dames ridge in late May and died of his wounds on

July 24th 1918. aged 24

Frank was the son of the late Terence and Mary Ann Ford

He can be found on the 1911 Census residing with his widowed mother and siblings at 100 Stephenson Street

North Ormesby employed as a Horse Minder in a local Brickworks

SISSONNE BRITISH CEMETERY

Private JOSEPH FORD

10836, 6th Bn., Yorkshire Regiment

Joseph died in Egypt of wounds or illness sustained on the Gallipoli peninsula on September 4th 1915

Aged 19

Joseph was the son of the late Terence and Mary Ann Ford

He can be found on the 1911 Census residing with his widowed mother and siblings at 100 Stephenson Street

North Ormesby a errand boy aged 14

ALEXANDRIA (CHATBY) MILITARY AND WAR MEMORIAL CEMETERY

regards Ray

I don't know if this list is still being added to, but here are another pair of brothers:

Name: John Rankin

Birth Place: Salford, Lancs

Residence: Liverpool

Death Date: 9 Aug 1915

Death Location: Gallipoli

Enlistment Location: Warrington,Lancs

Regiment: Loyal North Lancashire Regiment

Battalion: 6th Battalion

Number: 11588

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Theatre of War: Balkan Theatre

Name: Charles Rankin

Birth Place: Wigan, Lancs

Death Date: 17 Apr 1916

Death Location: France & Flanders

Enlistment Location: Wigan

Regiment: border Regiment

Battalion: 2nd Battalion

Number: 21627

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Qualification of these brothers for the list:

There were four brothers in this family that served during the Great War. They were William, John, George and Charles. George was killed during the Anglo-Irish war in 1921 during a Sinn Fein ambush, and a local English newspaper article reporting on his death stated that his brother John waskilled at Gallipoli, and Charles in France.

John aged 11, George aged 7 and Charles aged 4 can be foundon the 1901 census living at 8 Morris Yard, Silver Street, Warrington. Their mother Sarah Jane is also resident, but their father, William, was dead by this time. Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 3582; Folio: 53; Page: 22.

The family can also be found on the 1891 census living at 7 Cellar, Ashton Street, Pendleton, Salford. Source Citation: RGnumber:RG12 Piece:3207 Folio:157 Page:16.

Sarah Jane died shortly after the 1901 census date. John and George can be found on the 1911 census living at 16 Howard Street, Warrington.

There are service records available for Charles, which are fairly long. These indicate that he had a foster mother, which fits with the death of his parents, and also lists his surviving siblings and deceased parents. These fit with the census returns. His brother George is listed as being in the The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment and being based in Malta. George's battalion was stationed in Malta before eventually being posted to Ireland. This is mentioned in the newspaper articles covering George's death during the Sinn Fein ambush.

I hope I've explained this clearly enough, but let me know if any further information is required.

• 1 month later...

Thank you all for your contributions, I apologise for my lack of response but I have been abroad since March. I will check these out,

kind regards,

Bob

Bob,

I came across the Shaw brothers whilst researching the 11th West Kent's.

L/Cpl Henry James Shaw G/9633 11th Btn Royal West Kent's. Commemorated upon the Thiepval Memorial CWGC Entry His service records survive.

and his brother

Pte Jesse Shaw 89 13th Btn A.I.F Commemorated upon the Lone Pine Memorial CWGC Entry

According to local newspapers Henry returned to England to enlist. I'll try and get hold of the newspaper cutting if your interested,

Stuart

Stuart,

Thank you that would be great. They are on my list but any extra information is very welcpme,

kind regards, Bob

Hi Bob

another set of Brothers

with a little bit of research

HOPTON ROBERT WILLIAM

Private ROBERT WILLIAM HOPTON

PO/457(S), Portsmouth Bn. R.N. Div., Royal Marine Light Infantry

Robert aged 21 was wounded in action on the Gallipoli peninsula and died of his wounds aboard a Hospital Ship his body was Buried at sea on 04 May 1915

He was the son of Joseph Henry an Iron moulders labourer and Jane Hopton, of 40, Dean St., Middlesbrough.

Robert can be found on the 1911 census aged 17 residing with his parents and siblings at 2 Florence Street Middlesbrough employed as a butchers shop assistant

PORTSMOUTH NAVAL MEMORIAL

HOPTON JOSEPH EDWARD

Private JOSEPH EDWARD HOPTON

9118, 9th Bn., Yorkshire Regiment

Joseph was killed in action aged 32 on July 10th 1916 in an attack on the

village of Contalmaison during the Somme offensive

He was the son of Joseph and Jane Hopton, of 40, Dean St., Middlesbrough.

He can be found on the the 1911 census aged 27 residing with his two children , his parents and siblings at 2 Florence Street Middlesbrough employed as a Ironworks labourer

He was the Husband of the late Elizabeth J Hopton (nee Conlin) the couple married in Middlesbrough in 1905

His wife sadly died in 1909 having only been married Four years

THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

regards Ray

SMITH, SIDNEY Private

11th Essex Regiment 26/09/1915

Son of James and Sarah Smith, of 5, Shoebury Rd., Great Wakering, Essex.

Loos Mem Panel 85 to 87.

SMITH, DANIEL Stoker 1st Class

Royal Navy (RFR/CH/B/8940) Hood Bn. R.N. Div 04/06/1915

Son of Mr. and Mrs. J. Smith, of 5, Shoebury Rd., Great Wakering, Essex.

Helles Mem Panel 1 and 2.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if you are still collecting, but here are three of my cousins:

14776 Lewis James PINK 2/Hants killed in action, 17 October 1915 Azmac Cemetery. 27 years old.

12996 Herbert William PINK 14/Hants (1st Portsmouth) killed in action 26 September 1917. Tyne Cot memorial. 27 years old.

14039 Albert PINK 14/Hants (1st Portsmouth) killed in action 25 March 1918. Arras memorial. 25 years old.

They were the sons of George Henry Pink (died 1912) and Mary Ann Maslin of Froxfield, Petersfield, Hampshire, England.

A fourth brother, Edward G. Pink (born 1871) was discharged on 17 November 1914 - not likely to become an efficient soldier.

He was in the South Lancs in Egypt, India & Abyssinia and was time-served in 1910.

Malcolm