Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli brothers

bobpike

Bob - hope your recent trip was fruitful!

Just came across two more brothers you may not have:

Parents: William James BLAMEY (d.1927) & Cecelia Gummow HUDDY (d.1889)

Both born in Probus, Cornwall – brought their family to Australia c1886

Brothers:

BLAMEY, Norman Henry – Cpl 283 4th Bn AIF, enlisted 18/8/1914 – KIA 30/4/1915 Gallipoli Commemorated on the Lone Pine Memorial.

Born 1887 in Collingwood, Victoria, Australia

BLAMEY, William James – Pte 455A 3rd MG Bn AIF – enlisted 23/6/1916 – KIA 4/7/1918 France Buried in the Villers-Bretonneux Military Cemetery, Fouilloy.

Born 1877 in Probus, Cornwall, England

3rd Brother:

BLAMEY, Sydney – Pte 1905 (MM) 9th Bn AIF – enlisted 10/6/15 – RTA 2/3/1919

Born 1880 in Probus, Cornwall, England – died in 1934 at Hornsby, NSW

(Family 'possibly' related to Brig Gen (Sir) Thomas Blamey – whose father also came from Cornwall)

Cheers, Frev

Frev

As usual most interesting and a new one, thank-you.

Renny,

I think they are - Rice Pte. A 11RSx 21.10.16 – Thiepval Mem 7C, Pte. F E 11Middx 28.7.16 – Thiepval Mem 12D & 13B and Pte. N 2Hants 6.8.15 – Helles Mem 125-134, but any further information, pictures would be superb, many thanks,

Bob

Bob

hope this helps you - forgive me but I have just copied them from my manuscript

if you pm me your e-mail address I have a picture of their names on the memorial gates that i can send you

cheers

Renny

Private Nathaniel Rice of the 2nd. Battalion, Hampshire Reg. part of the 29th. Division was killed in action on Gallipoli on the 6th of August 1915 at the age of 20. He was actually listed as missing for over a year before the official announcement came. He was one of the sons of John and Eliza Rice of 80, Ifield Close, Crawley and was the husband of Mrs N. Rice ( who later re-married) of Lytchett Minster, Dorset.

Three of the Rice brothers were to die in the Great War. Nathaniel Rice was the first. He was born in Crawley and had enlisted in Guildford. He is commemorated on the Helles Memorial out in Gallipoli and the Crawley Memorial Gates.Sept 2

Prvt. Frederick Ernest Rice, of the Middlesex Regiment, whose home is in Ifield Road, Crawley, is reported missing. A brother, Nat, was posted as missing as long ago as August last year, and nothing has since been heard of him. In all Mr. and Mrs. Rice have seven sons in the Army , six abroad and one in England; and all are well excepting the two referred to, of whom more reassuring news is eagerly awaited

Private Frederick Ernest Rice of the 11th Battalion, the Middlesex Regiment had been killed in action on the 28th of July. At the age of 28, he was the second son of John and Eliza Rice to die in the Great War. He had been born in Worth and had enlisted in Horsham. He is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial on the Somme and at Crawley.

nov 11 1916 -

Intimation has also been received that Private Alfred E. Rice, of the 11th Sussex, a son of Mr. and Mrs. John Rice, of Ifield Road, Crawley, has been killed. He was single and 23 years of age. Two brothers, Fredk. and Nat., are among the missing, and another brother, Arthur Caleb, has been wounded. -

Private Alfred Edward Rice was 22 and with the 11th Battalion of the Royal Sussex when he was killed in action during the capture of the Schwaben Redoubt near Thiepval on the 21st of October. He had been born and enlisted in Crawley and was the third son of John and Eliza Rice to die in the Great War. The article mentions that Frederick Ernest and Nathaniel are both listed as missing. All three are remembered on the Memorial Park Gates and on the War Memorial at St. John’s. Like his elder brother Frederick, who had been killed on July 28th, he is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial.

• 1 month later...
Hi Bob,

I have been researching the 1/6th Lancashire Fusiliers for a forthcoming book and I thought these details will be an interest.

Edward Hyland. 9453 killed Gallipoli 7/8/15

John Hyland 10911 killed 6/9/17

James Hyland 11056 Royal Irish Fusiliers killed 2/9/18

Mark Hyland 576 1/5 Lancashire Fusiliers killed 28/5/15

All these brothers served at Gallipoli, two being killed.

These were the only four sons of Mr P. Hyland of Hartley Street Heywood, Lancashire.

Very sad indeed.

Hope this helps.

Ian

BROOKS, ROWLAND CAUSER 2/Lt 1/6 manchester Rgt KIA 04/06/1915 Gallipoli

BROOKS, ARCHIBALD BUCKLEY Capt 2/6 th Manchester Rgt D.O.W 07/10/1917 near Zonnebeke

Many thanks, these were not known to me,

Kind Regards,

Bob

BROOKS, ROWLAND CAUSER 2/Lt 1/6 manchester Rgt KIA 04/06/1915 Gallipoli

BROOKS, ARCHIBALD BUCKLEY Capt 2/6 th Manchester Rgt D.O.W 07/10/1917 near Zonnebeke

Another pair for my wife's family:

IRVINE, GERARD BYROM CORRIE. Maj .9th Bhopal Infantry KIA 15/05/1917. Kurt?

IRVINE, CHRISTOPHER THEODORE CORRIE. Lt. 25th Punjabis KIA 28/06/1915 Gallipoli

I am undertaking a project for 'The Gallipoli Association,' listing brothers who were killed in the Great War, at least one of whom either died on Gallipoli or as a result of wounds received there & is buried elsewhere - Malta, Egypt etc.

I am particularly keen for confirmed suggestions in the British Army, Newfoundland Regt, even French Army, as with the excellent AWM records I think I have fairly well researched Australian candidates (as well as NZ) ones.

Surprisingly, perhaps, the total at present is 707 sets of brothers!

Hi Bob,

I am not sure if you have these two:

Pte Michael Herbert Edmonds Colton, Notts.Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry, KIA 22/8/15 at Gallipoli. Helles Memorial.

2/Lt Stanley Edmonds Colton, M.C., 1st Bn Northumberland Fusiliers, KIA 28/3/18 in France. Arras Memorial.

You may have these as I did an article in Medals news a couple of years ago.

Best wishes, Robert

Thank you both for the sets of brothers. I had got the Coltons, Robert, but much obliged and theIrvines were knew to me,

Bob

Hi Bob,

I have been researching the 1/6th Lancashire Fusiliers for a forthcoming book and I thought these details will be an interest.

Edward Hyland. 9453 killed Gallipoli 7/8/15

John Hyland 10911 killed 6/9/17

James Hyland 11056 Royal Irish Fusiliers killed 2/9/18

Mark Hyland 576 1/5 Lancashire Fusiliers killed 28/5/15

All these brothers served at Gallipoli, two being killed.

These were the only four sons of Mr P. Hyland of Hartley Street Heywood, Lancashire.

Very sad indeed.

Hope this helps.

Ian

Hi Bob, my late Grandfather, Mark Hyland, was one of the four Hyland brothers mentioned in Ian Dawson's post of 14 May. In October 2009, I went to Gallipoli and the Helles Monument and located his name and laid a wreath. His name is on Panel 66, it is something I have wanted to do for many years. If you have any more information in relation to any of the brothers (I hadn't realised that another brother had died at Gallipoli).

I would be grateful to hear from you.

Thank you

Tom McDermott

Tom,

i'm afraid I cannot provide any further information, but I do have photos of Edward's headstone in Redoubt Cemetery, and John's name on Tyne Cot Memorial which I am happy to send if you wish. I can also get James' headstone in Wulverghem-Lindenhoek Road Cemetery in January. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you do,

Bob

Tom,

i'm afraid I cannot provide any further information, but I do have photos of Edward's headstone in Redoubt Cemetery, and John's name on Tyne Cot Memorial which I am happy to send if you wish. I can also get James' headstone in Wulverghem-Lindenhoek Road Cemetery in January. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you do,

Bob

Bob

Thank you for this. I would be very grateful if you could send me the photographs please. My email address is: tom.mcdermott607@ntlworld.com

Is it confirmed that James Joseph Hyland of the Royal Irish Fusiliers is one of the brothers from Heywood?

Thanks again

Tom

Tom,

I have emailed you photos of two of the Hylands. I believe that James is correct, but it is some time since these names were sent to me. I will photograph his headstone for you in the New Year,

Bob

Thank you both for the sets of brothers. I had got the Coltons, Robert, but much obliged and theIrvines were knew to me,

Bob

Hi Bob,

Do you have the Spartali brothers?

2/Lt Michael Spartali and 2/Lt Cyril Spartali? If you need details please let me know.

Best wishes, Robert

Bob,

See you have the Dunlop brothers, but can't work out how much detail you have on them. I have a bit more if you wish as they were Old Boys at the school I teach at. Let me know if you need anything.

Chris

Robert,

Many thanks. I was aware of the Gallipoli Spartali because of his Greek ancestry, but Cyril is new to me.

Chris,

Any further information on the Dunlop brothers would be excellent, particularly photos. Thank you,

Bob

Bob,

No photos sadly by here's a potted bio of each. Hope it's of use!

Chris

Lieutenant John Gunning Moore Dunlop was part of the 4th Division serving in the 2nd Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers. They had arrived in France on the 22ndAugust and proceeded to Le Cateau by train on the morning of the 24th. At 2.00 a.m. the following day they marched to their positions. On the morning of the 26ththey engaged the Germans at the small village of Fontaine-sur-Tetre and inflicted heavy losses on them before withdrawing. British losses were 7,812 that day. John Dunlop was the elder of two brothers to attend Summer Fields Prep School, near Oxford.

Born on November 14th1885, the son of Archibald Dunlop of Holywood, County Down, he came to Summer Fields in 1896 and went on to Charterhouse in 1899. There he showed considerable promise. He was in the choir and was a member of the Rifle Corps. In 1902 he won the Natural Science Prize and was awarded a School Exhibition upon leaving worth £80 pa for the next four years. He went first to Queen’s, Belfast and then on to Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, where he gained a 1stClass in Natural Science, and became a demonstrator involved in chemical research.

After Cambridge he was commissioned into the Royal Dublin Fusiliers, as his younger brother, George, would be after him. John Dunlop was 28 when he died and his body would lie in a cemetery held by the Germans for the next four years until the ground was recaptured and his body reburied in Honnechy British Cemetery near Le Cateau. News of deaths on the front came from a wide variety of sources as is demonstrated here by the information sent from ‘The Legation of The United States of America in The Hague’;

November 12th, 1914

My dear Colleague, – I beg to transmit to the relatives of Lieutenant Dunlop, of the Dublin Fusiliers, with the expression of my very sincere sympathy, the following information which I have just received through the American Consul General in Berlin ;-

“Second Lieutenant J.G.M. Dunlop, the 2nd Royal Dublin Fusiliers, 10th Infantry Brigade, 4th Division.

This officer I regret to say was killed in action near Clary on the 27th August. He was with two companies of his regiment which were left behind at Le Hautcourt on 26th of August when the British Army retired earlier on that date. The two companies were commanded by Major H Shewen, of the Dublin Fusiliers, and retired later by themselves about midnight on the 26-27th August. On approaching Clary they met the enemy, engaged him and were later surrounded. Second Lieutenant Dunlop met his death while gallantly directing a portion of the firing line. After having been already wounded, he was struck in the head and killed. He was buried in Clary cemetery by Monsieur l’Abbe Beyaent, Rev. Vicar, Clary, Nord, France, along with fifty-five of his comrades. Captain Davy, R.A.M.C., who is now a prisoner of war here, was present at the funeral and himself erected a small wooden cross over 2nd Lieutenant Dunlop’s grave.”

Faithfully Yours,

His Excellency Sir Alan Johnstone

Captain George Malcolm Dunlop (771) of the 1stBattalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers had lost his older brother in August 1914, fighting with the 2ndBattalion at Le Cateau. Born in 1889 George had come to Summer Fields in January 1900 and gone on to Cheltenham in 1904. In 1907 he attended the R.M.C. and gained a commission into the RDF. At the outbreak of war he was stationed in Madras, India, but was rapidly recalled and arrived back to Plymouth on December 21st 1914. They were then attached to the 86thBrigade, 29thDivision and sent to Egypt (on March 16th1915), which was the holding and training camp for the Gallipoli Campaign. They were only there a short time before being sent to Mudros on the Greek Island of Lemnos, which was to be the stepping off point for the attacks. Most of these soldiers had not seen any action yet. In fact many of them had spent most of the war at sea, travelling from the subcontinent and antipodes to England, then back out to the Mediterranean. The Dubliners were involved in the landings at what was codenamed ‘V’ Beach where a variety of amphibious transport was used. The Dubliners were sent ashore from HMS Clyde in small open boats but the Turks were ready for them and they suffered murderous fire both in their approach and when they got ashore. It was here that Captain Dunlop died aged 26. He was the battalion’s machine gun officer and the Battalion’s History, Blue Caps records the events form when they landed;

They were met by a perfect tornado of fire. The machine-gun detachment worked desperately to get their guns ashore but they were nearly all killed or wounded; both the officers, Captain Dunlop and Lieutenant Corbet, were killed.

His body is buried in ‘V’ Beach Cemetery, but it is not known which grave his is so he is commemorated on a special memorial there. Thus John Dunlop had died in France in his first action and George had died in Turkey in his first.

Chris,

Wonderful, thank you very much. I can provide a photo of John's grave and George's name on Helles if you like, please let me know,

Bob

Thanks Bob,

I have been to V Beach to see George so have the photo, but in all my visits to the Western Front have never stopped at John's! Must take him in in the near future, but would love a photo for the moment.

Many thanks,

Chris

• 3 months later...
Another pair for my wife's family:

IRVINE, GERARD BYROM CORRIE. Maj .9th Bhopal Infantry KIA 15/05/1917. Kurt?

IRVINE, CHRISTOPHER THEODORE CORRIE. Lt. 25th Punjabis KIA 28/06/1915 Gallipoli

Major Gerard Byrom Corrie IRVINE, Indian Expeditionary Force is on the war memorial here in Enniskillen.

I am a volunteer in Inniskilling Regimental Museum and I have started researching all the names on the war memorial. It would be of great assistance if anyone could provide any information about this officer and why his name should be on our memorial.

Clive Johnston