Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli brothers

bobpike

Sorry, Clive, but I have no further information, but I do have another set of brothers to add,

Bob

Brokenshire Pte. H 50AIF 13.9.18 – Vadencourt BC P:5 R:B G:12 and Pte. W J 10AIF 6.8.15 – Lone Pine Cem P:1 R:G G:7.

Attached are the Ross Brothers:

Trooper WILLIAM WILLIAMS ROSS

7/1653, Canterbury Mounted Rifles, N.Z.E.F.

who died age 25

on 21 December 1918

Son of Harry and Jane Selena Ross, of Oamaru, New Zealand.

Remembered with honour

CHANAK CONSULAR CEMETERY

Serjeant ALEXANDER JOHN ROSS

8/811, Otago Regiment, N.Z.E.F.

who died

between 01 May 1915 and 23 May 1915

Son of Mr. and Mrs. Ross, of Arun St., Oamaru.

Remembered with honour

LONE PINE MEMORIAL

Regards

John O'R

• 2 months later...

Hi

here is the Family Memorial of the Shipps From Linthorpe Cemetery

Re "details of Shipp previously supplied By Geoff501"

note the third brother sapper earnest chas Shipp who possibly died of war related illness or wounds in 1921

there is a small error on the A.I.F database (Martin Road ) Should Spell Marton Road

4596628966_91b96dcbc4_b.jpg

Sorry to be so slow in thanking you, but i have been away. This is most interesting, thank you,

Bob

Here Is a Photo of James H Shipp to go with the headstone

4612340795_4f32b7441a_o.jpg

regards Ray

Bob

You May Know allready Peter Wilfred Shipps Attestion Papers Can Be Downloaded Free From the national Archives of Australia

Have a look at Peters If You Have Not Already Done so there is a sad letter from Peters Sister among them

regards Ray

• 3 weeks later...

I dont know if you are stll looking for info on Brothers who were killed in WW1 .. If yes you may be interested in =

My Grandfather

CSM 6532 Charles Edward Wilson 2nd Btn Kings Own Scottish Borderers 23rd August 1914 (Mons)

His Brother (My Great Uncle)

CSM 6520 W G Wilson 1st Bttn Lans Fusilers 25th April 1915 (Gallipoli)

Their Brother (My Great Uncle)

Private Frederick Wilson Kings Own Scottish Borderers Died of disease in Bloemfontein (Boer War)

See :-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greenacre8/37...57609446201030/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greenacre8/se...57609446201030/

Regards

Alan

Just come across this thread; there's a very obvious pair that isn't listed - Fred and Arthur Roper, brothers, both 1st Essex, both killed on the same day (early August '15, or thereabouts?). At Gallipoli, too. Both from Clacton, I think. Seem to remember that there was little more than a year between them in age. I'm at work, so don't have reference to my notes, but they should be pretty easy to look up.

I have their old wooden army trunks. Got them from the family.

Bob,

No photos sadly by here's a potted bio of each. Hope it's of use!

Chris

Lieutenant John Gunning Moore Dunlop was part of the 4th Division serving in the 2nd Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers. They had arrived in France on the 22ndAugust and proceeded to Le Cateau by train on the morning of the 24th. At 2.00 a.m. the following day they marched to their positions. On the morning of the 26ththey engaged the Germans at the small village of Fontaine-sur-Tetre and inflicted heavy losses on them before withdrawing. British losses were 7,812 that day. John Dunlop was the elder of two brothers to attend Summer Fields Prep School, near Oxford.

[/size]

Born on November 14th1885, the son of Archibald Dunlop of Holywood, County Down, he came to Summer Fields in 1896 and went on to Charterhouse in 1899. There he showed considerable promise. He was in the choir and was a member of the Rifle Corps. In 1902 he won the Natural Science Prize and was awarded a School Exhibition upon leaving worth £80 pa for the next four years. He went first to Queen's, Belfast and then on to Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, where he gained a 1stClass in Natural Science, and became a demonstrator involved in chemical research.

After Cambridge he was commissioned into the Royal Dublin Fusiliers, as his younger brother, George, would be after him. John Dunlop was 28 when he died and his body would lie in a cemetery held by the Germans for the next four years until the ground was recaptured and his body reburied in Honnechy British Cemetery near Le Cateau. News of deaths on the front came from a wide variety of sources as is demonstrated here by the information sent from 'The Legation of The United States of America in The Hague';

November 12th, 1914

My dear Colleague, – I beg to transmit to the relatives of Lieutenant Dunlop, of the Dublin Fusiliers, with the expression of my very sincere sympathy, the following information which I have just received through the American Consul General in Berlin ;-

"Second Lieutenant J.G.M. Dunlop, the 2nd Royal Dublin Fusiliers, 10th Infantry Brigade, 4th Division.

This officer I regret to say was killed in action near Clary on the 27th August. He was with two companies of his regiment which were left behind at Le Hautcourt on 26th of August when the British Army retired earlier on that date. The two companies were commanded by Major H Shewen, of the Dublin Fusiliers, and retired later by themselves about midnight on the 26-27th August. On approaching Clary they met the enemy, engaged him and were later surrounded. Second Lieutenant Dunlop met his death while gallantly directing a portion of the firing line. After having been already wounded, he was struck in the head and killed. He was buried in Clary cemetery by Monsieur l'Abbe Beyaent, Rev. Vicar, Clary, Nord, France, along with fifty-five of his comrades. Captain Davy, R.A.M.C., who is now a prisoner of war here, was present at the funeral and himself erected a small wooden cross over 2nd Lieutenant Dunlop's grave."

Faithfully Yours,

His Excellency Sir Alan Johnstone

Captain George Malcolm Dunlop (771) of the 1stBattalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers had lost his older brother in August 1914, fighting with the 2ndBattalion at Le Cateau. Born in 1889 George had come to Summer Fields in January 1900 and gone on to Cheltenham in 1904. In 1907 he attended the R.M.C. and gained a commission into the RDF. At the outbreak of war he was stationed in Madras, India, but was rapidly recalled and arrived back to Plymouth on December 21st 1914. They were then attached to the 86thBrigade, 29thDivision and sent to Egypt (on March 16th1915), which was the holding and training camp for the Gallipoli Campaign. They were only there a short time before being sent to Mudros on the Greek Island of Lemnos, which was to be the stepping off point for the attacks. Most of these soldiers had not seen any action yet. In fact many of them had spent most of the war at sea, travelling from the subcontinent and antipodes to England, then back out to the Mediterranean. The Dubliners were involved in the landings at what was codenamed 'V' Beach where a variety of amphibious transport was used. The Dubliners were sent ashore from HMS Clyde in small open boats but the Turks were ready for them and they suffered murderous fire both in their approach and when they got ashore. It was here that Captain Dunlop died aged 26. He was the battalion's machine gun officer and the Battalion's History, Blue Caps records the events form when they landed;

They were met by a perfect tornado of fire. The machine-gun detachment worked desperately to get their guns ashore but they were nearly all killed or wounded; both the officers, Captain Dunlop and Lieutenant Corbet, were killed.

His body is buried in 'V' Beach Cemetery, but it is not known which grave his is so he is commemorated on a special memorial there. Thus John Dunlop had died in France in his first action and George had died in Turkey in his first.

The two Dunlop brothers were nephews of the Gunnings of Cookstown(Co.Tyrone) who owned a linen mill in the town

Wesley Wright

My apologies for not thanking you all earlier but I have been in France. These names and detail, not to mention the pictures are much appreciated,

Thank yiu,

Bob

• 3 weeks later...
Major Gerard Byrom Corrie IRVINE, Indian Expeditionary Force is on the war memorial here in Enniskillen.

I am a volunteer in Inniskilling Regimental Museum and I have started researching all the names on the war memorial. It would be of great assistance if anyone could provide any information about this officer and why his name should be on our memorial.

Clive Johnston

Interesting; I will look into this.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bob

I Have Searched this Thread I Dont Believe You Have these Two Brothers

Lance Corporal J CLARK

63493, 85th Field Coy., Royal Engineers

who died age 21

on 20 September 1915

Son of Mr. and the late Mrs. William Clark, of 10, Bridgeford Terrace, South Bank, Yorks.

ALEXANDRIA (CHATBY) MILITARY AND WAR MEMORIAL CEMETERY

Corporal ALEXANDER CULLEN CLARK

193, 4th Bn., Australian Infantry, A.I.F.

who died age 27

between 06 August 1915 and 09 August 1915

Son of William and Agnes Clark; husband of Jessie Clark, of 106, Gardiners Rd., Rosebery, Sydney, Australia. Native of South Bank, Yorks, England.

LONE PINE MEMORIAL

4776644293_5f7a251ccf_b.jpg">

cropped close up of a family memorial from Eston Cemetery Middlesbrough

I could let you have the Full memorial if you would like it

the inscription confused me for a while I searched Cwgc and Aif Database for an Alex And James Corp ,as on the memorial

thinking this was there surname

surname turned out to be Clark

Kind regards Ray

Forum Member Penri submitted the following as a reported post

--

Moriarty, You have posted the names of Richard Ellis Williams and Robert William Williams of Penclogwyn, Dwygyfylchi, Penmaenmawr. I have memorial cards for both. My grandparents were their neighbours.Do you know whether Robert is buried or not, and if not why not? Regards Penri (jpwau AT ynysmon DOT gov DOT uk)

• 2 months later...
Guest chris from hove

My father in law 's two uncles perished at Gallipoli. His mother never talked of it, and to the best of our knowledge and assumption they were;

Casualty Details

Name: WOODFORD, GEORGE LEOPOLD

Initials: G L

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Hampshire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st/8th Bn.

Date of Death: 13/08/1915

Service No: 594

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 125-134 or 223-226 228-229 & 328.

Memorial: HELLES MEMORIAL

Casualty Details

Name: WOODFORD, ALFRED VICTOR GEORGE

Initials: A V G

Unit Text: "A" Coy. 1st/8th Bn.

Date of Death: 11/09/1915

Service No: 1632

Additional information: Son of James and E. Woodford, of 2, Milligan Rd., Ryde, Isle of Wight.

My father in law 's two uncles perished at Gallipoli. His mother never talked of it, and to the best of our knowledge and assumption they were;

Casualty Details

Name: WOODFORD, GEORGE LEOPOLD

Initials: G L

Unit Text: 1st/8th Bn.

Date of Death: 13/08/1915

Service No: 594

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 125-134 or 223-226 228-229 & 328.rial: HELLES MEMORIAL

Casualty Details

Name: WOODFORD, ALFRED VICTOR GEORGE

Initials: A V G

Unit Text: "A" Coy. 1st/8th Bn.

Date of Death: 11/09/1915

Service No: 1632

Additional information: Son of James and E. Woodford, of 2, Milligan Rd., Ryde, Isle of Wight.

Once again my apologies for not thanking you all earlier but I have been in France. These names and detail, not to mention the picture are much appreciated,

Thank you,

Bob

Guest chris from hove

My apologies but it would appear I was mistaken in the above posting. I put too much credence into an old family story and jumped too early to a conclusion that appeared to fit.

I'm still looking for the right Woodford "brothers"....

Chris

My apologies but it would appear I was mistaken in the above posting. I put too much credence into an old family story and jumped too early to a conclusion that appeared to fit.

I'm still looking for the right Woodford "brothers"....

Chris

Chris

How about this one?

Bob

WOODFORD, ARTHUR JAMES

Initials: A J

Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers

Unit Text: Special Signal Coy. (Ireland)

Date of Death: 21/11/1918

Service No: 15356

Additional information: Son of James and Elizabeth Woodford; husband of Lydia Woodford, of 3, Milligan Rd., Ryde, Isle of Wight. Born at Ryde.

Grave/Memorial Reference: NG. K. 3186.

Cemetery: RYDE BOROUGH CEMETERY

• 3 weeks later...

A few more brothers -

BELL-Private-ROBERT-18972-1st Bn.-King's Own Scottish Borderers----01/08/1915-21-Son of David and Janet Bell, of Boreland Cottage, Lockerbie---HELLES MEMORIAL-Panel 84 to 92 or 220 to 222

BELL-Sapper-D-32647--Royal Engineers----06/10/1920-30-Son of David and Janet Bell, of Boreland Cottage, Lockerbie, Dumfriesshire---HUTTON PARISH CHURCHYARD, DUMFRIESSHIRE-New ground. 53. East boundary

LISTER-Lance Corporal-S-16968-2nd Bn.-Royal Scots Fusiliers----09/04/1918-24-Son of David and Janet Lister, of Mouldyhills, Canonbie, Dumfriesshire---ROYAL IRISH RIFLES GRAVEYARD, LAVENTIE-I. L. 2

LISTER-Private-DAVID-1898-5th Bn.-King's Own Scottish Borderers----05/09/1915-19-Son of David and Janet Lister, of Mouldyhills, Canonbie, Dumfriesshire---REDOUBT CEMETERY, HELLES-XII. A. 9

LEE-Private-JOHN-57176-1st/6th Bn.-Manchester Regiment----02/09/1918-19-Son of Ellen Jane Lee, of 91, Lynwood Avenue, Darwen, Lancs., and the late Robert S. Lee. Native of Brierfield, Burnley---MANCHESTER CEMETERY, RIENCOURT-LES-BAPAUME-C. 6

LEE-Corporal-HARRY-933-4th Bty. 1st (East Lancs) Bde.-Royal Field Artillery----20/10/1915-21-Son of Ellen Jane Lee, of 91, Lynwood Avenue, Darwen, Lancs., and the late Robert Speight Lee---PINK FARM CEMETERY, HELLES-Sp. Mem. 50

Another pair,

WATT-Private-FREDERICK JOHN-3686-18th Bn.-Australian Infantry, A.I.F----03/05/1917-37-Son of Espie and Jane Watt, of Gulgong, New South Wales---VILLERS-BRETONNEUX MEMORIAL-

WATT-Trooper-WALTER THOMAS-395-7th-Australian Light Horse----30/09/1915-26-Son of Espie and Jane Watt. Native of Gulgong, New South Wales---SHELL GREEN CEMETERY-I. G. 7

MOORE-Private-FREDERICK ALFRED-1773-48th Bn.-Australian Infantry, A.I.F----28/03/1918--Son of Francis and Maria Jane Moore, of 201, Chlonde St., Broken Hill, New South Wales---GEZAINCOURT COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION-II. G. 9

MOORE-Private-ERNEST-1342-5th Bn.-Australian Infantry, A.I.F----08/05/1915-27-Son of Francis and Maria Jane Moore, of 201, Chloride St., Broken Hill, New South Wales---HELLES MEMORIAL-Panel 201 to 204 or 332

Renembered on Armistice Day

DAVIES-Private-ARTHUR JAMES-3/492--NZEF Medical Corps----17/09/1915-32-Son of George and Annie Jane Davies, of 306, Queen St. West, Hastings, New Zealand---EAST MUDROS MILITARY CEMETERY-II. O. 260

DAVIES-Rifleman-PERCY SYLVESTER-45671-2nd Bn. 3rd-NZEF Rifle Brigade----12/10/1917-28-Son of George and Annie Jane Davies, of 612, Queen St., West Hastings, Hawkes Bay, New Zealand. Native of Christchurch, New Zealand---TYNE COT CEMETERY-XXIX. D. 20

GREENGRASS-Sergeant-CHARLES MORRIS-572-7th Bn.-Australian Infantry, A.I.F----04/10/1917-24-Son of George and Jane Greengrass, of 31, Stephen St., Yarraville, Victoria, Australia---BUTTES NEW BRITISH CEMETERY, POLYGON WOOD-XXIX. D. 2

GREENGRASS-Corporal-GEORGE WILLIAM-1434-14th Bn.-Australian Infantry, A.I.F----08/08/1915-24-Son of George and Jane Greengrass, of 31, Stephen St., Yarraville, Victoria, Australia. Native of Footscray---LONE PINE MEMORIAL-40

McSPARRON-Private-ARCHIBALD JOSEPH-289-18th Bn.-Australian Infantry, A.I.F----05/08/1916-26-Son of George and Jane McSparron. Native of Straid, Straidarran, Londonderry, Ireland---PUCHEVILLERS BRITISH CEMETERY-II. B. 75

McSPARRON-Private-WILLIAM GEORGE-541-2nd Bn.-Australian Infantry, A.I.F----06/08/1915-24-Son of George and Jane McSparron. Native of Straid, Straidarron, Londonderry, Ireland---LONE PINE CEMETERY, ANZAC-III. A. 9

Can anyone confirm or otherwise, please if these are brothers?

Bob

ALLAN-Private-JOHN JACK-28-52nd Lowland Div. Cyclist Coy.-Army Cyclist Corps----25/08/1915-18-Son of Alexander and Margaret Allan, of 1034, Maryhill Rd., Glasgow. Born at Fort William, Inverness-shire---MALTA (CAPUCCINI) NAVAL CEMETERY-Prot. 275

ALLAN-Private-GEORGE H.-200981-5th Bn.-Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)----28/10/1916-19-Son of Alexander and Margaret Allan, of 38, West Campbell St., Glasgow---THIEPVAL MEMORIAL-Pier and Face 4 D

ALLAN-Private-ALEXANDER INNES-70144-26th Bn.-Canadian Infantry (New Bruns. Regt.)----01/07/1916-17-Son of Alexander and Margaret Allan, of 38, West Campbell St., Glasgow, Scotland---BOULOGNE EASTERN CEMETERY-VIII. B. 118

• 2 weeks later...

Some more brothers-

TRIGG-Private-HORACE-206666-2nd/4th Bn.-Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment)----21/12/1917-35-Son of George and Jane Trigg, of Brox Rd., Ottershaw, Chertsey, Surrey---JERUSALEM WAR CEMETERY-R. 99

TRIGG-Private-SYDNEY-T/3706-2nd/4th Bn.-Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment)----09/08/1915-25-Son of George and Jane Trigg, of Brox Rd., Ottershaw, Chertsey, Surrey---HELLES MEMORIAL-Panel 30 and 31

ARMSTRONG-Driver-LINCOLN FREDERICK-7/1184-9th Bty. 2nd Bde.-NZEF Field Artillery----03/09/1918-24-Son of George and Mary Jane Armstrong, of Akaroa, Christchurch, New Zealand. Also served in Gallipoli---ST. SEVER CEMETERY EXTENSION, ROUEN-R. II. J. 10

ARMSTRONG-Trooper-ROBERT VERNON-7/1328--NZEF Canterbury Mounted Rifles----12/12/1915-24-Son of George and Mary Jane Armstrong, of Balguerie St., Akaroa, New Zealand---PIETA MILITARY CEMETERY-C. I. 3

KIRK-Second Lieutenant-JOSEPH LINGARD--1st/10th Bn.-Manchester Regiment----10/02/1916-23-Son of George S. and Jane J. Kilk, of 5, Prince's Rd., Heaton Moor, Stockport---STOCKPORT (WILLOW GROVE) CEMETERY-B. 275

KIRK-Second Lieutenant-TOM--1st/10th Bn.-Manchester Regiment----04/06/1915-25-Son of George S. and Jane L. Kirk, of 5, Prince's Rd., Heaton Moor, Stockport---HELLES MEMORIAL-Panel 158 to 170

• 2 weeks later...

Another pair -

BRIGGS Private FRANCIS 778 12th Bn. Australian Infantry, A.I.F 25/04/1915

Son of Francis John and Ruth Briggs of 616, Edmond St., Beaconsfield, Fremantle, Western Australia. Native of Windsorton, Cape Province, South Africa

LONE PINE MEMORIAL 35

BRIGGS Private FREDERICK WILLIAM 2601A 51st Bn. Australian Infantry, A.I.F 05/07/1916

Son of Francis John and Ruth Briggs, of 616, Edmund St., Beaconsfield, Western Australia

RUE-DU-BOIS MILITARY CEMETERY, FLEURBAIX I. E. 12