Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sainsbury's Christmas Advert

Stebie9173

I'v e just started reading The Patriot's Progress by Henry Williamson and came across this phrase in the introduction by the distinguished author K W Mitchinson:

"The volumes of poetry and 'anti-war' novels, which appeared both during and after the war (many of which it should be remembered were published for commercial gain at a time when the nation's mood was susceptible to such sentiment) ..."

Moonraker

"The volumes of poetry and 'anti-war' novels, which appeared both during and after the war (many of which it should be remembered were published for commercial gain at a time when the nation's mood was susceptible to such sentiment) ..."

In the words of the Venerable Dylan (B)

" It's easy to see without looking too far. That not much is really sacred."

Don't get me started on Michael Morpurgo and his shameless profiteering - the blood sucking leech !

Sainsbury's are even selling the DVD of War Horse. For Shame!

Yes, I suppose the 1914 Truce can be viewed as not really a Great War event - but rather the last hurrah of the Edwardian age and the values that were to be forever changed by the events of 1915-1918.

As has been said, it will be much more difficult to find material suitable for basing an advert on in subsequent years of the war.

For starters, Hersheys is 'orrible.

I am currently reading Mark Tanner's ebook "War Letters 1914-1918" and in one of his letters, Wilbert Spencer, with a Wiltshire Bn. talks about the Truce.

Hazel C.

For starters, Hersheys is 'orrible.

In May 1918, several Yanks turned up at the canteen tent of 31st Divisional Ammunition Column wanting to buy all the chocolate they had. Which somewhat pi&&ed off the two Brits staffing it.

OK: here's a thought. Do organisations such as pen & Sword make a profit? If so, should they? After all, they're profiting from war.

My brain hurts.

To be honest I would ban them as well :w00t:

But WHY Mike? Why is it so different for Sainsburys than it is for any other organisation or individual? Because, you see, I just don't think there is a difference. If it's ok for one, then it's ok for everyone, you cannot discriminate.

It's 'whiffy' because........ Kim, I'm not good at explaining it. It doesn't help I haven't watched it yet. I'm sure it's awesome, and Taff Gilingham, and others, made sure they got it right. It just smells a bit to me. I think that chocolate would leave a taste in the mouth? And it's nowhere near Christmas yet.

Mike

After seeing your photos I think I would give up. Gave me a laugh tho.

Bit harsh...it was only a dress rehearsal!

Plus we had a scream! Got drunk on over the top rum and had Bully Beef and biscuits for tea and slept in the dugout of our trench....all to remember our boys...(and girl!)

Phil

The advert is of a very high standard, in professional and technical terms it is up there with the very best (Hamlet cigars, Apple 1984, Levi Jeans) in the TV ad Hall of Fame. That should not blind us to its crippling weaknesses.

The first is that it does not respect the memory of those who fought, suffered and died on the Western Front - and that is the standard which we should be judging it. It presents a sentimentalised, Disneyesque yule-tide view of life in the trenches in Christmas 1914. It could be the OTC Christmas Concert. Where are the body parts, the corpses, rats, the excrement ... .? There is no reference to the fact that some soldiers didn't get as far as the exchange of gifts because they were killed as soon as they ventured over the parapets into no-mans land.

And for what? To sell chocolate bars.

One commentator has described the advert in these terms:

"It surely behoves us as a society to retain those deaths (of those who died in the First World War) with respect and a degree of reverence. Would we welcome an advert next Christmas showing a touching little scene between a Jewish child and a disabled child in Auschwitz, swapping gifts for Christmas and Hanukah on their way to the gas chambers? I would hope not, yet I fail to see any great moral difference."

I have to agree.

Where are the body parts, the corpses, rats, the excrement ... .?

If you can't see them on the shelves, we 'aven't got any, Sir, but there's a delivery this afternoon . . . .

Lighten up, for Crissake

Possibly, but I haven't seen the J Lewis one yet.

Actually, I realise I've not seen the Sainsbury's one on TV: only on the link provided on this thread. I'm outraged I've not seen it.

I haven't seen the J Lewis one either. Perhaps that is because I rarely watch TV. Am I missing something?

What a load of twaddle. That is taking cynicism a bit far. My husband may be right when he says we should"get a life". (although I hate to admit it) IF we all felt like that, no money would have been raised for anything, and just imagine the mess returning soldiers would have been in.

Hazel