Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sainsbury's Christmas Advert

Stebie9173

• Admin

The chocolate is better than Cadburys

Michelle

All American chocolates taste the same, and anything is better than Cadburys. And why does everybody now say 'proven' instead of 'proved'? The Christmas truce is fine as an advertising topic this year as it has a feel good factor. But what about next year? Christmas 1915 was a very different animal.

Cheers Martin B

" why does everybody now say 'proven' instead of 'proved'? " Both are ok are they not. (not sure if this is a relative of Haig, probably not, but it keeps us on topic?)

Caledonian Mercury - Tuesday 18 October 1859

2n8trtf.jpg

Mike

This advert has raised alot of awareness with regards to the great war,and the Xmas truce.

The amount of friends who have commented on this on social media,knew nothing about the truce and very little about the war itself.

I have several friends who are now wanting to find out more about researching family members,who may have served,the war in general and the events of Xmas 1914.

I personally find this a good thing,that the long forgotten generation of these friends and aqauintances will now have a chance to be remembered once again.

Shane

Peter Hitchens was fulminating in his usual style about how sickening this disrespectful excuse to make money out of suffering was in today's 'Mail on Sunday' ( I was only glancing at the free copy in our local garden centre's cafe, honest). A bit rich, I thought, appearing in one of the newspapers that has run endless centenary pull-outs, special editions etc to boost their flagging circulation.

I like the advert. ( the wife cried).

I thought the making of it was very good.

I have a feeling that the people who are going to benefit won't care where the money comes from as long as it helps "the cause".

I like chocolate.

All the Sainsbury's around here have sold out.

At least the advert had proveded some great war discussion. I've noted it among some of my younger friends on social networking, promting discussions of whether it's from a real event or not.

Surely that can only be a good thing, never mind the money issue.

I still wont be buying the chocolate as the narest sainsburys to me is 12 miles away, there's plenty nearer shops for getting my messages.

Derek.

. A bit rich, I thought, appearing in one of the newspapers that has run endless centenary pull-outs, special editions etc to boost their flagging circulations.

Absolutely , but there seem to be many who regards Sainsburys as approaching the spawn of Satan for having the temerity to sell products at a profit , employ thosands of people , collect billions in tax, actually pay UK corporation tax etc etc.

It follows that said organisation is exploiting the Great War by involving itself with the RBL to raise millions for charity , airing the ad etc.

I think it's good news about the choccie selling out - but there will also be gnashing of teeth about the "exploitation" and luring of folk into the stores by way of this merchandise. Each to his own.

Damned if they do and damned if they dont. Multiple Bristol M.P's pleading for the development to continue with David Cameron adding his 6 pennorth.

Brickbats for Sainsburys for pulling out of another development in the SW at Wadebridge - albeit with no war memorial complications. And them danged Germans Lidl and Aldi are at the (memorial) gates armed with discounts!

It can't be easy!

And them danged Germans Lidl and Aldi are at the (memorial) gates armed with discounts!

It can't be easy!

It can't be. Lidl and Aldi haven't done a WW1 ad yet though?

Mike

Could somebody please put me out of my misery and tell me what name the soldier with the chocolate is called at the start when they are handing the letters/packages out?

Thanks.

SPN
Maldon

It can't be. Lidl and Aldi haven't done a WW1 ad yet though?

Mike

I think it would have to be set in a prison camp - based on my local Lidl being very difficult to get out off.

(few staff on tills, no self service tills, wait until the queues are long before calling for reinforcements)

I hear "Jenkins, Unckley, Nye"?

Could somebody please put me out of my misery and tell me what name the soldier with the chocolate is called at the start when they are handing the letters/packages out?

Thanks.

SPN
Maldon

His name's Nye

There have been 8,253,899 views of this ad on Youtube alone. Combined with those who've seen it on Tv, it's an awful lot of people - and so few complaints proportionately speaking!

Thanks.

SPN

Maldon

Given I was sat next to him for umpteen takes, you'd think I'd be able to remember - but no... too much Jimmy Jim Jimmy Jim Jim Jim Jim has erased it.

" why does everybody now say 'proven' instead of 'proved'? " Both are ok are they not. (not sure if this is a relative of Haig, probably not, but it keeps us on topic?)
Caledonian Mercury - Tuesday 18 October 1859
2n8trtf.jpg
Mike

There is an unfortunate verdict in Scottish law called"Not Proven". It means that the unfortunate individual is neither found guilty nor acquitted.

Hazel

I hear "Jenkins, Unckley, Nye"?

not "Nunn" then?

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

so few complaints proportionately speaking!

And of the 137 complaints to 14 November, 56 were apparently because the stitching on the undergarments, visible in the football match, was of the wrong pattern and 49 because that particular spacing between the barbs in the wire, in no-mans land, wasn't introduced until 1915 :thumbsup: