Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sainsbury's Christmas Advert

Stebie9173

I wonder how many of the people who've complained to the ASA and elsewhere realise that the ad is based on an actual incident?

Moonraker

It was interesting to note that British Army Captain, Bruce Bairnsfather, of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment and well known cartoonist, was actually at that 1914 Christmas Truce and made some sketches of the event.

Regards,

LF

Would you rather the RBL didn't get the 4-odd million quid that Sainsbury's will put their way?

Will the servicemen who would ultimately benefit from that 4 million be better off without it?

Simples

The first law of economics: there is no such thing as a free lunch. Take the money and you create a hostage to fortune. You have no guarantee where, when and how it will be used against you. £4 million is too much for anyone to give. A sum that large creates an unhealthy dependency and obligation. Look at the recent history of the World Wildlife Fund

Just out of interest during WW1 , JJ Sainsbury ordered collection boxes to be placed in his stores with the intention of raising 50,000 shillings for a general distress fund. For every shilling donated, he pledged to donate six- pence from his own pocket. Given Andrew Upton's post above about the 50p donation, I wonder if that is where some of this has come from.

TR

And he didn't have to do that either. He could have just kept the sixpences for himself! Anyway, they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Hazel C

P.S. I just told my husband about this thread and he told me that we should"get a life".

H.C.

Please - I know this thread has veered many different ways, but let's stay on topic....

Alan: and how would you define that if it is not about the desirability of worthy not-for-profit causes climbing into bed with big business, and the potentially corrupting effect they can have on the good causes they ostensibly seek to support? Take the GWF for example. It is very difficult to have any discussion here on the role of this company's taxation tourism policies on the closure of the TNA, public libraries, and one could add the IWM. Threads which seek to make this link are cut or prematurely closed. Such discussions are labelled 'political'

Why? Because Amazon give us £250 a month and we don't want to upset them. If the people running the GWF will bend the knee to Jeff Bezos for £250, then what will others do for £4 million?

The first law of economics: there is no such thing as a free lunch. Take the money and you create a hostage to fortune. You have no guarantee where, when and how it will be used against you. £4 million is too much for anyone to give. A sum that large creates an unhealthy dependency and obligation.

Sainsbury's and the RBL think otherwise.

Again, if you personally don't like the idea then don't participate.

Alan: and how would you define that if it is not about the desirability of worthy not-for-profit causes climbing into bed with big business, and the potentially corrupting effect they can have on the good causes they ostensibly seek to support? Take the GWF for example. It is very difficult to have any discussion here on the role of this company's taxation tourism policies on the closure of the TNA, public libraries, and one could add the IWM. Threads which seek to make this link are cut or prematurely closed. Such discussions are labelled 'political'

Why? Because Amazon give us £250 a month and we don't want to upset them. If the people running the GWF will bend the knee to Jeff Bezos for £250, then what will others do for £4 million?

The above is complete nonsense on several points - £250? No, around a fifth of that. Upsetting them? I rather doubt they care.

As Hedley knows, this is nothing to do with the Sainsbury ad. If he really wishes to raise his Amazon concerns again, I'd suggest he not raise the issue on this thread again.

Personally I like it. Companies give to charity make themselves look good, this is just a little more direct. If it was going to be done, and there does seem to be an inevitability about it, then at least it's been done well and with genuine feeling. Think about how it could have turned out.

And he didn't have to do that either. He could have just kept the sixpences for himself! Anyway, they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Hazel C

P.S. I just told my husband about this thread and he told me that we should"get a life".

H.C.

Quite right Hazel, on both points, and your husband is a wise man. :-). I'm sure that those who will benefit by this will not be complaining, and they are the people that matter.

TR

Rather amused by the idea that the Forum is muzzled about refering to Amazon negatively because it is in hock to them by way of their commission. Do dark theats emanate from somewhere in their lofty Luxembourg lair?

"Curragh - we have ways of bringing you and your turbulent members to heel"

Good job we have no relationship with those Blofelds at Sainsburys - worse than serial paedophiles in the opinion of some.

"Curragh - we have ways of bringing you and your turbulent members to heel"

Statements like this are not in the least amusing. Would you have the time to be a Mod and be willing to take the abuse some members give them? I think not. If you wish the forum to remain the way it is and without prejudice I would give it a rest.

It is very difficult to have any discussion here on the role of this company's taxation tourism policies on the closure of the TNA, public libraries, and one could add the IWM. Threads which seek to make this link are cut or prematurely closed. Such discussions are labelled 'political'

A bit OTT don't you think! You could go do gown the pub and discuss these topics so why bring them to a perfectly good forum where members wish to discuss topics relating to the Great War and who are not particularly interested in "political" discussions?

It was interesting to note that British Army Captain, Bruce Bairnsfather, of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment and well known cartoonist, was actually at that 1914 Christmas Truce and made some sketches of the event.

Regards,

LF

There's a sketch map by BB on display at the RSC theatre in Stratford - he marks the spot where "Fearful Fritz" palled up with the Warwicks.

. . . . do gown the pub and discuss these topics so . . . . . .

. . . . . you will leave Cambridge by the next town drain . . . .

Hello all.

It is a really good piece of film, all the family love it.

So were all agreed then..

Really good advert.

RBL get some cash and a Super Market wants to make a profit.

Merry ---- everyone & good will to all.

Cheers

Here is a link to Bairnsfather's 1914 Christmas Truce cartoon.

Regards,
LF

Yup.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=219755&hl=stratford

BB's sketch map is displayed next to a WO trench map, for comparative purposes. BB shows where the truce (in the Warwicks sector) took place, plus his own location on Christmas Day 1914; also the location of the cottage where he drew his first Fragment from France.

Statements like this are not in the least amusing. Would you have the time to be a Mod and be willing to take the abuse some members give them? I think not. If you wish the forum to remain the way it is and without prejudice I would give it a rest.

In answer - OK noted , No , No , Yes , Yes. Actively resting.

But I think you misunderstood my drift.

I've not seen it yet !!

Personally a great advert, although I did not realise on first viewing, just a few days ago, up until the end, that it was Sainsburys. I thought well made and covered it well. Sometimes, you have to just enjoy.

Regards. Mike

Anne, I think Ian was inserting his tongue firmly in his cheek on that one.

And it's a free country: I disagree with the recipient of your second comment, but I'd defend his right to say what he says (though not necessarily to the death, I hasten to point out).

Anne, I think Ian was inserting his tongue firmly in his cheek on that one.

And it's a free country: I disagree with the recipient of your second comment, but I'd defend his right to say what he says (though not necessarily to the death, I hasten to point out).

As long as they obey forum rules and stay on topic of course.

(and thanks for your comment Anneca)

Good Evening All.

I think this Sainsburys advert of the Christmas truce is well made and well researched,and it shows compassion between men before the war went up another gear into what some call the industrialized war.Well done Sainsburys.

Regards Andy.

Okay, i understand all these points but most importantly, how good are their chocolate bars?

Okay, i understand all these points but most importantly, how good are their chocolate bars?

Rather indifferent, I'm afraid. They were made in Ypres but perhaps should have been sourced from Bern or Birmingham!