Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sainsbury's Christmas Advert

Stebie9173

There is an unfortunate verdict in Scottish law called"Not Proven". It means that the unfortunate individual is neither found guilty nor acquitted.

Hazel

In Bonny Scotland they have the 'Not Proven' verdict which means 'We ken fine ye did it, we just cannae prove it.'

In Bonny Scotland they have the 'Not Proven' verdict which means 'We ken fine ye did it, we just cannae prove it.'

Exactly!

H.C.

Sounds to me like "Knight".

A beautifully made, emotional piece of film.

JMB

Article from yesterday's Sunday Times all about Sainsbury's and their plans for the Memorial Ground, Bristol. It is a matter of personal choice whether you think Sainsbury's using the Great War to sell more groceries at Christmas is a good idea when they have this hanging over their heads.

It has also just been picked up by the Daily Mail: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2837849/Sainsbury-s-branded-hypocritical-plans-demolish-war-memorial-build-superstore-using-WWI-football-truce-story-Christmas-advert.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

post-16428-0-97328800-1416240536_thumb.j

This item from today's Tottygraph may mean that the desecration of the Bristol ground may not happen http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/11235652/Goldman-Sachs-Supermarket-groups-must-close-one-in-five-stores.html

Yes, it would seem likely that the new Bristol store will not go ahead. But various M.Ps and even David Cameron have been pressing Sainsburys to continue with the development to make up in part for pulling out of the Wadebridge development also in the SW of England.

Much head scratching at HQ no doubt. Nice heart warming ads do not obviate the need for tough business decisions.

Direct your flak at those who sold the ground, not Sainsbury's.

TR

Yes, Terry , I tend to agree with your analysis but fear it will run counter to the opinions of the resolutely anti-big business brigade.

So can I sum up? If you shop at Sainsbury's, buy their chocolate, watch Bristol RFC and buy a ceramic poppy, you're basically booking a one-way ticket to Hell-fire and damnation. Is that right?

Did anyone see, and if so, care to comment on Ancestry using the Great War to sell their memberships vis a vis their most recent ad? Not the UK one but the one with the wounded soldier and the nurse. Maybe it merits its own thread?

So can I sum up? If you shop at Sainsbury's, buy their chocolate, watch Bristol RFC and buy a ceramic poppy, you're basically booking a one-way ticket to Hell-fire and damnation. Is that right?

Sums it up nicely. If I were in Britain I would be guilty of all except the football bit, in which I have no interest.

Hazel C

Sums it up nicely. If I were in Britain I would be guilty of all except the football bit, in which I have no interest.

Hazel C

The R stands for Rugby!

Not seen the advert on TV itself. I'm sure as most my shopping is spread around to best deals and ease of access at the time. I support the RBL but the whole 100 years thing is slightly to much, It is to raise money for current users of the RBL. It would be nice to link the generations of service(wo)men as all do get a sh*t time.

Indeed.

Also if you support money making projects, using the war as subject matter in order to sell their product, ie. novels, documentaries, movies, genealogy websites, photographs, songs, and so on.

Derek.

We're not discussing whether it's right or wrong to make money, we're discussing whether it's right or wrong for a company, to use a WW1 related story, in the Centenary year, to make money, when they are involved in (whether it's their fault or not-they should have known) a project, that may involve the moving of, destruction of, relocating of, etc etc a WW1 War Memorial?

Mike

OK: here's a thought. Do organisations such as pen & Sword make a profit? If so, should they? After all, they're profiting from war.

My brain hurts.

The comments about Bristol Rugby Football Club and Sainsbury's made me laugh. Direct your flak at those who sold the ground, not Sainsbury's.

TR

Exactly.

I can't understand why some of you are being taken in by sensationalist media headlines. Doesn't it remind you of anything that happened 100 years ago? (War propaganda)

It also reminds me of this other headline about the planned proposal to build houses over the Birkenhead Institute/Wilfred Owen WW1 memorial site. In this case Tranmere Rovers and others were under criticism. I don't remember the house building firm being mentioned, criticised or having their business ethics questioned at all.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/hands-off-our-land/9727241/Eric-Pickles-lets-Tranmere-Rovers-build-houses-on-Wilfred-Owen-war-memorial.html

Isn't this a rather convenient bit of ammunition to throw at Sainsbury's at this time? Reminds me of 'Business War Games'

Don't even start with the (eg) gift shops in Ypres, the tour guides or even the RBL itself, they all make money from the war dead. How far down the line do you want to go? Why is it ok for one to make money and not the other?

Richard van Emden's views given on a BBC Surrey/Sussex local radio programme yesterday (18th Nov) which was discussing the issue (run forward to appx 16:00) Click

NigelS

OK: here's a thought. Do organisations such as pen & Sword make a profit? If so, should they? After all, they're profiting from war.

My brain hurts.

Well, you could eat the chocolate. It won't educate you much, but might anesthetize your hurt brain.

Hazel C.

Why shouldn't Pen & Sword make a profit, or Richard Van Emden? They are also educating, which, I don't think Sainsbury are doing. I think what ever way you dress it, the fact that Sainsbury made a Christmas Advert about a Christmas WW1 event in the Centenary year is 'whiffy'?

Mike

But WHY Mike? Why is it so different for Sainsburys than it is for any other organisation or individual? Because, you see, I just don't think there is a difference. If it's ok for one, then it's ok for everyone, you cannot discriminate.