Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sainsbury's Christmas Advert

Stebie9173

Another 8 pages coming up when Europe wakes!

Hazel C.

I do not know if you looked at this History Channel presentation, I thought the dramatised parts were very similar to the Sainsbury version, without the chocolate.

Regards,

LF

I do not know if you looked at this History Channel presentation, I thought the dramatised parts were very similar to the Sainsbury version, without the chocolate.

Regards,

LF

'Fraid i preferred the Sainsbury version!

Hazel C.

A question for Sainsbury. If you consider the RBL to be an organisation worthy of your support, then why are you making the unspecified size of your donation dependent on the sale of your chocolate bars?

The RBL - remind me: is this not the organisation whose leader was forced to resign because he was overheard to say that he thought his RBL connection was good because of the business networking opportunities it presented?

There is a wider and much more important point - the non-politicisation of rememberance. We are all agreed that this is a good thing. If you want to keep any good cause non-political, then one of the first and most important thing to do is to keep big business out of it. They have their own agendas.

A question for Sainsbury. If you consider the RBL to be an organisation worthy of your support, then why are you making the unspecified size of your donation dependent on the sale of your chocolate bars?

The RBL - remind me: is this not the organisation whose leader was forced to resign because he was overheard to say that he thought his RBL connection was good because of the business networking opportunities it presented?

There is a wider and much more important point - the non-politicisation of rememberance. We are all agreed that this is a good thing. If you want to keep any good cause non-political, then one of the first and most important thing to do is to keep big business out of it. They have their own agendas.

Would you rather the RBL didn't get the 4-odd million quid that Sainsbury's will put their way?

Will the servicemen who would ultimately benefit from that 4 million be better off without it?

If you object to the idea then don't buy the chocolate, don't shop at Sainsbury's, don't give to the RBL and instead donate to Combat Stress, The Soldier's Charity, Star and Garter or one of the many other great causes.

Simples

Out of interest, Mrs Broomfield visited our local Sainsbury's this morning, and there is, she says, a wide range of RBL stuff on sale. Sadly, however, the massive display of chocolate bars was completely empty. Obviosuly the good people of southern Hampshire are less scrupulous about supporting God and mammon than some Forum members.

Please - I know this thread has veered many different ways, but let's stay on topic....

Whilst i have found the twists and turns of this thread fascinating and we need to consider where Remembrance now stands in 2014 in the broadest sense , I dont now think this thread is located appropriately within this Forum. In "soldiers other" , its terms of reference are too narrow and this is leading it "off topic" .

I'm currently involved in filming the very same scenes at the mo! But after seeing that ad I feel like like giving up!

I thought it was amazing.....

I'm currently involved in filming the very same scenes at the mo! But after seeing that ad I feel like like giving up!

I thought it was amazing.....

After seeing your photos I think I would give up. Gave me a laugh tho.

Am I the only one who is quite interested to read that German trenches were only 90cm across at the top? I didn't know that, assuming it's true... Seems very narrow.

Haven't seen the advert. Or the chocolate, but I'll definitely eat it if I get some in my Christmas stocking.

Apologies for posting in the wrong forum area. I'm not very good with these Forum thingies. ;)

Steve.

The evolution of trench design can be seen clearly in the excellent outdoor system at the Passchendaele Memorial Museum which traces trench development throughout the war. Early narrow German trenches are presented at the start of the exhibit.

I think the reason that Sainburys won't let on how much profit per bar will go to the RBL, is because we'd then know how much profit they make on all the other bars (including perhaps Fair-trade items)

I think the reason that Sainburys won't let on how much profit per bar will go to the RBL, is because we'd then know how much profit they make on all the other bars (including perhaps Fair-trade items)

Where is this "unspecifized size" of the donation to the RBL nonsense coming from? Sainsbury's have repeatedly made it clear in Tweets and similar that the amount will be 50p, ie a straight up half of all sales - which is an absolutely cracking percentage to receive.

I've watched the advert on YouTube - together with a couple of clips about the making of the advert and, to some extent, the "motivation" behind it. Have to say I can't see anything to object to and wonder what all the fuss is about.

Just out of interest during WW1 , JJ Sainsbury ordered collection boxes to be placed in his stores with the intention of raising 50,000 shillings for a general distress fund. For every shilling donated, he pledged to donate six- pence from his own pocket. Given Andrew Upton's post above about the 50p donation, I wonder if that is where some of this has come from.

TR

Looked for & bought my chocolate this morning - which actions resulted in interesting conversations with two young assistants.

Kath.

I wonder how many of the people who've complained to the ASA and elsewhere realise that the ad is based on an actual incident?

Moonraker