Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australians W.W.1 buried in the UK

sandybee49

I'm in Norfolk over the weekend, so will try to sweep those ones up for you if I can.

Damien

Hi Damien,

That would be wonderful, would appreciate very much what ever you are able to do.

Beth (sandybee49)

• Admin

Hello Beth

I just sent you some photos of Lasborough I remembered I had, they aren't the best but hopefully you can use them.

Michelle

Hello Beth

I just sent you some photos of Lasborough I remembered I had, they aren't the best but hopefully you can use them.

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

Many thanks for the photos they are now on the website

Cheers

Beth (sandybee49)

Hello there Beth,

Just touching base with you, I have today sent an e-mail to you.

Cheers Roger.

If you haven't got it yet Wadham from Bridport - a local lad who died from falling off a train while visiting Bridport for his mother's funeral. A short bio is displayed in the cemetery.

Looks like the family are still tending the grave - it's got its own little garden.

Wadham_Bridport_1200.jpg

This morning the Australian War graves in Milton Cemetery were the focus for Portsmouth's Anzac Day commemoration which is traditionally held on the nearest Sunday. If you need those graves recording send me a PM.

Keith

If you haven't got it yet Wadham from Bridport - a local lad who died from falling off a train while visiting Bridport for his mother's funeral. A short bio is displayed in the cemetery.

Looks like the family are still tending the grave - it's got its own little garden.

Wadham_Bridport_1200.jpg

Hi,

Thanks so much have photo on the website.

Cheers

Beth (sandybee49)

This morning the Australian War graves in Milton Cemetery were the focus for Portsmouth's Anzac Day commemoration which is traditionally held on the nearest Sunday. If you need those graves recording send me a PM.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Have these photos, thanks for thinking of me.

Cheers

Beth (sandybee49)

Hi,

Thanks so much have photo on the website.

Cheers

Beth (sandybee49)

I see it - glad to be of use.

However - you have him as born in Mildura. I think you'll find he was born in Bridport.

However - you have him as born in Mildura. I think you'll find he was born in Bridport.

Hi

Both the CWGC & his Service records show that he was born in Mildura, Victoria, but on reading through his service records from the time of his death, it indicates that he was from Bridport, so will change the website entry.

Thanks so much for this

Cheers

Beth (sandybee49)

Do yous still need photos from Reading Cemetery? If you do I'll post the rest.

Meanwhile - Baillie:

Reading_Baillie.jpg

Sandybee,

I failed miserably to find E B Beddow in Bilston last week: I have asked the authorities for a plan of the cemetery so I may return.

However, I did find gravestones remembering H V McVittie and Arthur Woolley: would you like these to be going on with? If so, please PM me with your e-mail address.

John

Sandybee,

I failed miserably to find E B Beddow in Bilston last week: I have asked the authorities for a plan of the cemetery so I may return.

However, I did find gravestones remembering H V McVittie and Arthur Woolley: would you like these to be going on with? If so, please PM me with your e-mail address.

John

I visited Bilston in February and sent the photo to Beth

At least you found it - blowed if I could!

Cheers,

John

At least you found it - blowed if I could!

Cheers,

John

Hi John

If you hadn't gone searching I would not have had the other 2 headstones, so many thanks for that.

Cheers

Beth (sandybee49)

• 1 year later...

this chap is buried in st neots cambridgeshire i think he died of pneumonia while recovering from a GSW.

He was staying with a family in st neots at the time.

phpqJ7Z4zAM.jpg

Question:  Would you want photos of family graves in the UK which commemorate WW1 Australian service personnel who have war graves overseas?  I came across one recently.  

Clive

On 16/07/2016 at 01:54, stevem49 said:

I have Hassop Catholic church chap and the CWGC notice in the cemetery.

If still needed , let me know.

Steve M

Hi Steve M,

Have the photo, thanks for thinking of me, very much appreciated.

Cheers

sandybee49

Good. I was visiting anyway whilst doing D of E as I like to pop in to cemeteries which have war graves.

I remember that for years (until 2008) it was very overgrown with large hedges all around it. It was really difficult to find anything.

Today it is well kept and looked after as two local  Hotels donated for its clearing.

Prior to this cemetery, Catholics were buried in a corner of the Great Longstone C of E churchyard.

Steve

Hi Beth,

Have sent you email (through website) with pics of St.Lawrence Churchyard, Sandhurst, Gloucestershire and hopefully will get St.Nicholas Churchyard, Standish, Gloucestershire this week.

Regards,

Simon.

Apologies Beth,

When I looked on page one yesterday both the Gloucs were showing as still needed. Disregard my email.

Regards,

Simon.

Dear Beth

I see  you already have photos of the Graves at Clacton on sea. These are the results of some research I did for the Clacton RBL prior to the centenary.

Pvt Walter Earnest Herriot 59th Bn Australian Infantry wounded July 1916 Flequarie Somme GSW Pelvis DOW 14/8/1916 Middlesex Military Hospital Holland road Clacton. Buried Burrs Road. Brother of Lieutenant Samuel Thomas Herriot who brought a Headstone for his Grave from Australia before joining the same Battalion and being wounded at Perrone 2/9/1918.

L/Cpl Albert Thompson 15th bn Australian Infantry wounded Pozeires  Somme DOW 14/8/1916 Middlesex Military hospital Holland  Road Clacton buried Burrs rd.

Pre war the Hospital was a convalescent home owned by the Middlesex hospital London and was staffed by the Middlesex during the war. It still stands today as an old peoples home.

Hi Beth

Just stumbled upon your post.

Have you got this one?

William Oakes 6092 13 Battalion

William was born in Swindon, England

but Attested in Australia.

William was wounded during WW1 and returned to Australia.

As can be seen from his headstone, he lived until 1960, when he was 73 years old

He is buried in Christ Church, Swindon, Wiltshire.

Colin

W Oakes.jpg

On 16/07/2016 at 03:23, hughfw said:

this chap is buried in st neots cambridgeshire i think he died of pneumonia while recovering from a GSW.

He was staying with a family in st neots at the time.

phpqJ7Z4zAM.jpg

Many thanks for thinking of me, very much appreciated

Cheers

sandybee49