Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australians W.W.1 buried in the UK

sandybee49

Now then soldier. Just thought I would say hello and see how you have been getting on with your collection. Very well it seems. I told you right from the off that there are many very nice people on here willing to help, and they have proven me right.

Keep up the good work Beth.

All the best

Tony

Now then soldier. Just thought I would say hello and see how you have been getting on with your collection. Very well it seems. I told you right from the off that there are many very nice people on here willing to help, and they have proven me right.

Keep up the good work Beth.

All the best

Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for asking, the help has been fantastic, far & beyond what I could ever have hoped for, have updated the list today.

Call me crazy, but have started one for the Australian WW2 soldiers, but that is "work on when time allows", would like to get more work done on the WW1 website, before the 100th anniversary.

Cheers

Beth (sandybee49)

• Admin

Ocklynge Cemetery Eastbourne 5/7 completed and emailed by the photographer in the family.

I think the two in Plot D may be private memorials will go back later this week hopefully and try to find them we searched for an hour without success until it was too dark for photos anyway!

Ken

Ocklynge Cemetery Eastbourne 5/7 completed and emailed by the photographer in the family.

I think the two in Plot D may be private memorials will go back later this week hopefully and try to find them we searched for an hour without success until it was too dark for photos anyway!

Ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your help, always much appreciated, they are up on the website.

Cheers

Beth sandybee49

Ken

Ken

Of the two in Plot D, Herd has a fairly new CWGC headstone which was replaced around ten years ago. Fraser is a private memorial, he is buried with G Duke of Canada, they were both killed in an air crash serving in the RNAS

Hi Beth,

I have come late to this topic. I note in your first post you required...DORSET - Bridport, Christchurch, Dorchester ( Fordington), Stratton (St Mary), Wareham, Wool (Holy Rood) churchyard & extension. I live in Poole, Dorset and quite often I am in the towns you mentioned. Let me know if you still require photographs.

Eddie

Hi Beth,

I have come late to this topic. I note in your first post you required...DORSET - Bridport, Christchurch, Dorchester ( Fordington), Stratton (St Mary), Wareham, Wool (Holy Rood) churchyard & extension. I live in Poole, Dorset and quite often I am in the towns you mentioned. Let me know if you still require photographs.

Eddie

Hi Eddie,

Would be very pleased if you can help with these cemeteries, do you want a list of the soldiers names & cemetery location.

Cheers

Beth (sandybee49)

Hi Eddie,

Would be very pleased if you can help with these cemeteries, do you want a list of the soldiers names & cemetery location.

Cheers

Beth (sandybee49)

Have sent you a message...

Eddie

Hi Beth,

I can help with Arthur Orton buried in Derby (Nottingham Road) Cemetery and Samuel Hodgkinson buried in Hassop if you still need those?

Kind regards

Richard

Beth

I visited Alne (St.Mary) Churchyard today which was much bigger than I thought. Tramped around for a hour and in desperation phoned the Churchwarden whose phone number was on a notice in the church porch.

He was very helpful and had much knowledge of the story of Robert Crosby who was on leave in England and came to visit relations living in the nearby village of Tollerton, whilst staying there he fell ill with Spanish Flu and died of pneumonia.

He has a large private headstone in keeping with the style of most of the others there, apparently it was renewed about ten years ago. I wonder if the CWGC paid for it ?

I will send you the photos on Sunday when I get back home.

Peter

Thank you Peter, it was on my list to do once the weather cleared up.

Cheers Roger,

ps I have done Bradford and Bentley with Arksey.

Hi Beth,

I can help with Arthur Orton buried in Derby (Nottingham Road) Cemetery and Samuel Hodgkinson buried in Hassop if you still need those?

Kind regards

Richard

Hi Richard

Thank You so much would greatly appreciate these photos

Cheers

Beth (sandybee49)

Beth

I visited Alne (St.Mary) Churchyard today which was much bigger than I thought. Tramped around for a hour and in desperation phoned the Churchwarden whose phone number was on a notice in the church porch.

He was very helpful and had much knowledge of the story of Robert Crosby who was on leave in England and came to visit relations living in the nearby village of Tollerton, whilst staying there he fell ill with Spanish Flu and died of pneumonia.

He has a large private headstone in keeping with the style of most of the others there, apparently it was renewed about ten years ago. I wonder if the CWGC paid for it ?

I will send you the photos on Sunday when I get back home.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Look forward to receiving the photo, as always thanks for your assistance.

Cheers

Beth (sandybee49)

Hi Richard

Thank You so much would greatly appreciate these photos

Cheers

Beth (sandybee49)

Hi Beth,

I have sent you photos of the two Derbyshire graves as promised. I wish you well with your project!

Kind regards

Richard

Hi Beth,

I have sent you photos of the two Derbyshire graves as promised. I wish you well with your project!

Kind regards

Richard

Thanks Richard, they are on the website, much appreciated.

Cheers

Beth (sandybee49)

Searched in vain in Christchurch cemetery yesterday for Captain Cecil Walter LAMB. Royal Field Artillery - British Army (born Queensland). His grave reference was F75 but at that spot there was just a patch of grass and remains of a broken headstone. I will call CWGC today to check they are aware. This little chap was sat watching me search..!

post-100478-0-42661300-1424083733_thumb.

Perhaps the Fox was also looking for a Lamb?

BillyH

Groan........

Searched in vain in Christchurch cemetery yesterday for Captain Cecil Walter LAMB. Royal Field Artillery - British Army (born Queensland). His grave reference was F75 but at that spot there was just a patch of grass and remains of a broken headstone. I will call CWGC today to check they are aware. This little chap was sat watching me search..!

If it is of any help to you, the grave of Capt, Lamb is the one with the white marble cross in the foreground. This photo was taken over ten years ago so hopefully the cross is still intact.

post-7183-0-34082600-1424165237_thumb.jp

If it is of any help to you, the grave of Capt, Lamb is the one with the white marble cross in the foreground. This photo was taken over ten years ago so hopefully the cross is still intact.

Thank you Peter, that is so helpful. My wife and I were looking for the standard cwgc stone and must have walked past this one a few times. Will return this week and get a picture for Beth's excellent website.

Eddie

Then and now. Captain Cecil Lamb in Christchurch cemetery, Dorset. Peter's photo taken 10 years ago and the same view today. The one taken today is shown with the wooden cross at the front. It is not so easy finding some Australian graves, as the three boys from The Great War here are scattered all over the cemetery and, as in the case of Cecil Lamb, it was not a CWGC stone.

post-100478-0-90114900-1424185793_thumb.

post-100478-0-45879300-1424185808_thumb.

I don't want to come across as a know all, but having had quite a few bad experiences trying to find a non CWGC headstone (and not even realising that it wasn't a standard stone that I was looking for) I found something quite helpful.

Use CWGC photographic project website here : http://www.twgpp.org/

- - - - - then enter the name you are looking for, select the one you want, and you get a thumbnail photo that can be extremely helpful for finding it.

In the case of Cecil Lamb above, you get this : http://www.twgpp.org/information.php?id=3984605

It can save you hours ! ! !

BillyH

Hi, these are photos of the grave of Lt. Alexander Wald MC, in St Andrews Graveyard, West Jesmond, Newcastle upon Tyne.

post-10088-0-81416200-1424330378_thumb.j

post-10088-0-86689100-1424330451_thumb.j

Please PM for full resolution

David

Kensal Green (St Mary's RC)

Hello Beth,

I am visiting the Kensal Green (All Souls') Cemetery next week, to photograph two WW1 graves.

This cemetery is next to the Roman Catholic Cemetery and if it doesn't take too long to locate my two (fingers crossed it doesn't take hours!) I will see what I can do for you.

Are there 17 graves you want?

CGM