Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australians W.W.1 buried in the UK

sandybee49

Hi Beth,

I managed to get (Gloucestershire) Quedgeley (St.James) this morning and will email this evening.

The other three remaining

Standish (St.Nicholas) - in next couple of weeks.

Sandhurst (St.Lawrence) - in next couple of weeks.

Lasborough (St.Mary) - a lot further out so not until new year.

Best regards,

Simon.

Hi Simon,

Photos for Quedgeley (St James) are now on the website

Cheers

Beth

Hello Beth,

2 in Bradford,

1 in Bentley in Arksey,

done today, I will send on in the next day or so.

Cheers Roger.

Hi Roger,

The photos are on the website, thanks for your help, much appreciated

Cheers

Beth (sandybee49)

Beth

I sent an email to you with photos and an article about Matthew Clayson Australian Munitions Worker 22 buried in Chester Overleigh Cemetery.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Harper

Hi Harper,

The photos are on the website and have also attached the article you have written

Cheers

Beth

Mary

If you phone the CWGC (mornings only until further notice) they will give you the grave location in proximity to a Commission Headstone. I have saved hours of my time and my arthritic knees using this method

Good luck !

Peter

Hi All,

Thanks so much for all the effort everyone has put into finding this location for me, it is as always very much appreciated

Cheers

Beth

Beth, Colin is going to go either Tomorrow or Saturday back to Dumbarton to get Robert Marshall ( fingers crossed lol) ,thanks to Peter and NigelS we now know the stone is there.And Colin now knows he can look up the information for the grave and type of stone on the CWGC so that should help his poor wee knees lol.

Mary

s

Beth , Colin went up to Perthshire and got Gilbert Stalker in Trinity Gask,will email later on as he is still out looking for the one in Mars Walk Stirling.(McNaughton)

Mary.

• Admin

Got the two Warminster ones today will send them over

Michelle

Got the two Warminster ones today will send them over

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for the photos, much appreciated, on the website

Cheers

Beth

Beth

I have sent you a PM regarding the Australian buried at Hertingfordbury.

Maxi

Hi Folks , my husband headed back to Dumbarton armed with all the new knowledge and information from Peter & NigelS to try and find the grave of Robert Marshall ,sad to say he returned empty handed after walking around the cemetery for two hours. He went into the office and showed them that it was 37Z instead and not 372 as shown on Cwgc site but they have no such name in their books, he even showed them the picture of the headstone that is on the CWGC photographs site but no joy. When he got home he phoned West Dumbarton Council offices spoke to a lady who said she would get it in the ledgers and phone him back with the grave ref, at close of office at 5pm he had no reply .So when she phones tomorrow if they cant find him either then it looks like the only hope is to do as Peter said and to phone the CWGC and try and find the nearest Commission stone to it and see if that works as it is to cold and wet to keep walking round in circles.

Mary.

Hi Folks , my husband headed back to Dumbarton armed with all the new knowledge and information from Peter & NigelS to try and find the grave of Robert Marshall ,sad to say he returned empty handed after walking around the cemetery for two hours. He went into the office and showed them that it was 37Z instead and not 372 as shown on Cwgc site but they have no such name in their books, he even showed them the picture of the headstone that is on the CWGC photographs site but no joy. When he got home he phoned West Dumbarton Council offices spoke to a lady who said she would get it in the ledgers and phone him back with the grave ref, at close of office at 5pm he had no reply .So when she phones tomorrow if they cant find him either then it looks like the only hope is to do as Peter said and to phone the CWGC and try and find the nearest Commission stone to it and see if that works as it is to cold and wet to keep walking round in circles.

Mary.

Mary

I know the feeling well, I have spent many hours looking for private memorials.

The CWGC will be able to tell you where to look in proximity to a CH but remember they only take phone calls in the morning now

Good Luck

Peter

Thanks Peter , i think if they cant find his records in Dumbarton Council ,my husband will ask Beth if he can buy the picture from the War Graves Photographic Project and email it to her ,it will be a lot cheaper than the cost of the petrol running back and forth from Falkirk to Dumbarton,it is not so bad in the summer but the cold and wet means there is no joy in it at this time of year.

Mary.

Beth

I have sent you a PM regarding the Australian buried at Hertingfordbury.

Maxi

Hi Maxi,

Photo is on website, thanks so much

Cheers

Beth (sandybee49)

Beth

Visited your website this evening and I must say that it is rather splendid.

Glad to have helped albeit in a very small way.

Good luck with it.

Maxi

Well done Peter in having the photo of William McNaughton,saved my husband having to go back to Mars Wark ,going by the picture it looks like the headstone must have been already up and his name has been added to the base of the headstone when he died.Still no word from Dumbarton Council yet.

Mary.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Beth, as promised x

From Worthing, Broadwater Cemetery. The stone is a beautiful quality with a nice inscription. He's buried under a large tree, the cemetery is looked after nicely by volunteers.. some cool info here.

http://www.fbwc.co.uk/history.asp

3037 Private Charles George COMPTON

43rd Battalion Australian Infantry

post-53072-0-36764600-1420729471_thumb.j

Hi Beth, as promised x

From Worthing, Broadwater Cemetery. The stone is a beautiful quality with a nice inscription. He's buried under a large tree, the cemetery is looked after nicely by volunteers.. some cool info here.

http://www.fbwc.co.uk/history.asp

3037 Private Charles George COMPTON

43rd Battalion Australian Infantry

Hi

Many thanks for the photo it will be up later today

Cheers

Beth

Hi All,

I am currently building a website for World War 1 Australian servicemen/women who were laid to rest in the UK and so am wondering if there is any kind people that could help with this project, by photographing their headstones.

Hi Beth

Here are two Australians from The Canadian War Cemetery Cliveden ,Buckinghamshire. That is Cliveden, Cliveden Road,Taplow, Maidenhead Buckinghamshire SL6 OJA. See GWF thread link

Headstone No 32 CPL Joseph James Riley and 35 PTE Harry Element .

Details on Buckinghamshire remembers link click on names for details.

Only one close up ie Harry Element see Beneath thy feet link.

Cliveden is now closed for winter no Joseph James Riley close up.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=208717&hl=

http://buckinghamshireremembers.org.uk/memorials/p394.htm

http://beneaththyfeet.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/cemetery-sunday-cliveden-war-cemetery.html

Happy hunting

What do you need from Bilston and Stourbridge?

I visit those towns quite often, so it's not an imposition.

John

What do you need from Bilston and Stourbridge?

I visit those towns quite often, so it's not an imposition.

John

Hi John

Many thanks for your kind offer

Bilston - (1) Ernest Bazen BEDDOW

Stourbridge - (13) G.W. ALLEN, W.C. DOWNEY, H.L. DYKE, L GOGAN, A HOFF, C.G. HOGBERG, H. W. KELLY, D. J. McGRATH, A.H. MOGG, E.E. REED, C. E. TAYLOR, F.G. TOWNER, A.A. WOOD

Hi Beth

Here are two Australians from The Canadian War Cemetery Cliveden ,Buckinghamshire. That is Cliveden, Cliveden Road,Taplow, Maidenhead Buckinghamshire SL6 OJA. See GWF thread link

Headstone No 32 CPL Joseph James Riley and 35 PTE Harry Element .

Details on Buckinghamshire remembers link click on names for details.

Only one close up ie Harry Element see Beneath thy feet link.

Cliveden is now closed for winter no Joseph James Riley close up.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=208717&hl=

http://buckinghamshireremembers.org.uk/memorials/p394.htm

http://beneaththyfeet.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/cemetery-sunday-cliveden-war-cemetery.html

Happy hunting

Hi

Thanks for this, have them now.

Cheers

Beth (sandybee49)

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Bedfordshire/SilsoeRollofHonour.html

Not a particularly good picture but the Silsoe Bedfordshire one is here.

Hi,

Thanks for this clue, have been "cheeky" & emailed them to see if I can get a better picture.

Cheers

Beth (sandybee49)

Hopefully they will help, the site owner is a member of this forum….

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again Beth, I noticed this stone at the weekend & thought of you!..

Holy Trinity Churchyard in Chantry Somerset

Well looked after peaceful graveyard in the Mendip Hills, his grave is situated towards the far end of the graveyard & behind the church.

Fab carpet of snowdrops this time of year.

1990 Private A Moore

5th BN Australian Infantry

29th February 1916 Age 36

An inscription reads - 'He gave his life and future for the life and future of others'

post-53072-0-82004300-1423366772_thumb.j

Hello again Beth, I noticed this stone at the weekend & thought of you!..

Holy Trinity Churchyard in Chantry Somerset

Well looked after peaceful graveyard in the Mendip Hills, his grave is situated towards the far end of the graveyard & behind the church.

Fab carpet of snowdrops this time of year.

1990 Private A Moore

5th BN Australian Infantry

29th February 1916 Age 36

An inscription reads - 'He gave his life and future for the life and future of others'

Thanks so much for thinking of me, another one off the list

Cheers

Beth