Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australians W.W.1 buried in the UK

sandybee49

Kensal Green (St Mary's RC)

Hello Beth,

I am visiting the Kensal Green (All Souls') Cemetery next week, to photograph two WW1 graves.

This cemetery is next to the Roman Catholic Cemetery and if it doesn't take too long to locate my two (fingers crossed it doesn't take hours!) I will see what I can do for you.

Are there 17 graves you want?

CGM

Hi,

Your help if your time allows would be very much appreciated.

There are 2 I need from K.G All Souls both munition workers COARE F.W. 849 ( Location: 67.3.46028) & STONE Claude 2605 (Location: 198.18 46923 -screen wall)

There are 14 that I know of at K.G. St Mary's R.C, if you would like a list of names & locations am happy to email it to you.

Cheers

Beth (sandybee49)

Hi David,

Many thanks for this, will add ASAP

Cheers

Beth

Hi David,

Didn't have this one, thanks so much, it is on the website now.

Hi,

Your help if your time allows would be very much appreciated.

There are 2 I need from K.G All Souls both munition workers COARE F.W. 849 ( Location: 67.3.46028) & STONE Claude 2605 (Location: 198.18 46923 -screen wall)

There are 14 that I know of at K.G. St Mary's R.C, if you would like a list of names & locations am happy to email it to you.

Cheers

Beth (sandybee49)

I will add the munition workers to my list for All Souls.

And there are only 14 in St Mary's. (There are 17 in All Soul's). Sorry about the confusion.

CGM

• 2 weeks later...

I have COARE and STONE and I will send them via your website.

There are a lot of lichens partially obscuring COARE's name which water and a soft brush couldn't remove. We are not allowed to use more than this to clean CWGC stones so I will report this.

In the mean time I have taken a close up of the name, as well as the full stone.

I put a poppy cross on the Cross of Sacrifice for STONE, as his name is on the screen wall and have a photograph of this.

I will not be going back to Kensal Green for some time so please accept any offer to photograph the graves in St. Mary's R.C. Cemetery which you may receive.

CGM

I have COARE and STONE and I will send them via your website.

There are a lot of lichens partially obscuring COARE's name which water and a soft brush couldn't remove. We are not allowed to use more than this to clean CWGC stones so I will report this.

In the mean time I have taken a close up of the name, as well as the full stone.

I put a poppy cross on the Cross of Sacrifice for STONE, as his name is on the screen wall and have a photograph of this.

I will not be going back to Kensal Green for some time so please accept any offer to photograph the graves in St. Mary's R.C. Cemetery which you may receive.

CGM

Many Thanks for the photos emailed and the time you spent searching for me, it is much appreciated

Beth (sandybee49)

Hi Beth, found Mr MacDonald in Fordington, Dorchester cemetery today. Photo e-mailed to you.

Regards, Eddie

Hi Beth, found Mr MacDonald in Fordington, Dorchester cemetery today. Photo e-mailed to you.

Regards, Eddie

Hi Eddie,

Again many thanks for your very much appreciated help

Beth (sandybee49)

Hi Beth, I was in Wool, Dorset, today and thought of you. Have sent a photo of Mr Hayes to your website.

Regards,

Eddie

post-100478-0-55664900-1426603355_thumb.

Hi Beth, I was in Wool, Dorset, today and thought of you. Have sent a photo of Mr Hayes to your website.

Regards,

Eddie

Thanks Eddie,

Photo on website

Cheers

Beth (sandybee49)

I should get all your boys in Wareham Cemetery for you very soon Beth.

Eddie

• 2 weeks later...

Beth

Here is an interesting and informative post about Albert Edward Shepherd who is buried in West Kirby, Wirral.

https://grangehill1922.wordpress.com/2014/12/22/albert-edward-shepherd/

It also has a picture of his grave.

Keep up the good work.

Harper

Hi Beth,

Managed to get round to Glanadda cemetery, Bangor, North Wales yesterday, and eventually found the grave of Pte. John Doheny (aka. Sullivan) 4586.

His unfortunate demise is covered on page 4 of this thread.

If you would like a high res.(about 8mb each) copy of this image and the one in post #191, then please feel free to PM me.

post-109762-0-49340000-1428689197_thumb.

What a beautiful headstone. Has it just been replaced by GWGC.

Beth,

It's quite a large cemetery, a few thousand graves I should think, with the CWGC stones scattered seemingly randomly aroun.

But it only took about 15mins to cover it all to see all the white portland stone CWGC headstones there.

Doheny was not amongst them!

Then whilst I was considering my next move, I noticed that the he last portland stone I saw, had a slate CWGC stone next to it.

This was the same size and shape as a portland headstone, so I deduced that Doheny's stone was also made of slate.

I don't know about cemeteries in general, or worldwide, but 90% of gravestones in older cemeteries in Wales will be grey slate.

So, it was a matter of looking around for the correct shape of stone.

Eventually, I found it, and I must say it looks in first class condition, clean, with crisp engraving.

I wonder if it's been replaced in the not too distant past.

Here's a close up of the detail:

post-109762-0-74318600-1428689819_thumb.

What a beautiful headstone. Has it just been replaced by GWGC.

Hi Ghazala,

Yes I think it probably has.

I feel a bond to this poor unfortunate, who met his death only a few miles down the railway line from my childhood home.

Hi Ghazala,

Yes I think it probably has.

I feel a bond to this poor unfortunate, who met his death only a few miles down the railway line from my childhood home.

Hi,

Thanks so much for this photo.

When I started this project I needed 2,568 headstone photos & thanks to everyone's superb efforts I am within 201 of my goal- just fabulous. THANKS EVERYONE

We are all busy here in "Aussie" getting ready for Anzac Day :poppy:

Cheers

Beth -Sandybee49

We are all busy here in "Aussie" getting ready for Anzac Day :poppy:

Cheers

Beth -Sandybee49

Well done Beth...

Well done Beth. I told you this was the place to ask didnt I?

Well done Beth. I told you this was the place to ask didnt I?

You certainly did and I owe you many thanks for your suggestion.

I went back to Kensal Green yesterday and managed to photograph the 14 graves in Kensal Green (St Mary's RC) Cemetery.

I have visitors today, but tomorrow I should have time to go through them all and e-mail the best ones.

CGM

Fingers crossed that you have safely received 14 emails re the burials in Kensal Green (St Mary's RC) Cemetery.

CGM.

Hi,

So many thanks for the photos, your help is very much appreciated, they will up by the end of the day.

Attended 2 services yesterday in readiness for Anzac Day, a few of the smaller towns hold their Anzac march the Sunday before the 25th, so that the servicemen & women can attend the main march & celebration in the city (Adelaide).

So I have the dawn service next Saturday and then things will be a little quieter.

Cheers

Beth (sandybee49)

I'm in Norfolk over the weekend, so will try to sweep those ones up for you if I can.

Damien