Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australians W.W.1 buried in the UK

sandybee49

The CWGC description of Blackfaulds indicates that it's managed by trustees, so possibly it might have information on who to contact for access - assuming it's possible of course. It might also be worth contacting forum member alf mcm as, from this thread http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=150660#entry1449794, it seems he might have some knowledge of the site, or be able to advise

NigelS

Thanks NigelS ,I have messaged Alf to see if he has a photo by any chance or can help..I did read the CWGC notes but the railway was shut down in the Beecham days so dont know when that information was last updated .

Mary.

Hi Beth

are you still looking for Bath and Luckington?

will try to get both is it 1 at Luckington and 7 at Bath?

Hi Beth

are you still looking for Bath and Luckington?

will try to get both is it 1 at Luckington and 7 at Bath?

Hi Chaz

Yes please still need both these cemeteries

Thanks so much for your assistance, it is very much appreciated

Cheers

Beth

Cheers

Beth

Thanks NigelS ,I have messaged Alf to see if he has a photo by any chance or can help..I did read the CWGC notes but the railway was shut down in the Beecham days so dont know when that information was last updated .

Mary.

Hello Mary,

I sent you a message.

Regards,

Alf

Hi Beth my husband had a go to get the one at Blackfaulds farm done this morning but it is at the top of a hill in a field and he could not find a way through the bottom of the field which is a Bog and at times was up to his knees so had to give it up. When he got back to the car to change a women past him walking her dogs he asked if she knew any other route up to the Burial ground ,she replied no that is the only way in but you cant get into it now as the wooden door is locked and the stone wall is way to high to see or climb over.She said the farmer used to have the key but she has no idea where or who has the key now. The farm was up for sale but is now burned down and has been taken off the market.He will be only to willing to try again but it might have to wait till the summer time and the ground drys up, but that still leaves the problem of finding out who has the key.

Mary.

I have the photos from Blackfaulds

I visited in July 2005 whilst working in Scotland. The land belonged to a lady who owned or rented a cottage at the edge of the farmland, she very kindly took me in there so I could take the photos.

I will e-mail them to Beth ASAP

Thanks Alf and Peter,that will save my husband from killing himself he has Arthritis in both knees and was struggling to get through the bogy ground yesterday.lol. My husband spoke to that woman yesterday Peter, it was her that told him the farmer had locked the door before he left the farm and she said she did not know who now has the key.

Mary.

Thanks Alf and Peter,that will save my husband from killing himself he has Arthritis in both knees and was struggling to get through the bogy ground yesterday.lol. My husband spoke to that woman yesterday Peter, it was her that told him the farmer had locked the door before he left the farm and she said she did not know who now has the key.

Mary.

Hi Mary,

The photos Peter forwarded are on the web, please thank your darling husband for his efforts, they are so very much appreciated.

Cheers

Beth

Mary.

If the grave is not accessible, even if an appointment has to be made then the CWGC should be made aware. An alternative commemoration may have to be erected or added to a screen wall etc.

I know the Regional Supervisor for Scotland so I will send him an e-mail appraising him of the facts

Beth

pm me your email address, I will send pics of Haliday in Luckington, I did try Bath but the traffic was chaos, even the coaches waiting on the outskirts waiting for their cargos to finish shopping, will try again. not sure when.

Thanks Beth and Peter , my husband was only to glad he did not make it all the way up only to have found that it was now locked. He was going to contact the CWGC on Friday but we did not know if it was a CWGC headstone or a family one, as we were led to believe that family ones do not come under the care of the CWGC.

Mary.

Beth

pm me your email address, I will send pics of Haliday in Luckington, I did try Bath but the traffic was chaos, even the coaches waiting on the outskirts waiting for their cargos to finish shopping, will try again. not sure when.

gawlersoldiers@internode.on.net will get to me

Hi Beth,

I managed to get (Gloucestershire) Quedgeley (St.James) this morning and will email this evening.

The other three remaining

Standish (St.Nicholas) - in next couple of weeks.

Sandhurst (St.Lawrence) - in next couple of weeks.

Lasborough (St.Mary) - a lot further out so not until new year.

Best regards,

Simon.

Hello Beth,

2 in Bradford,

1 in Bentley in Arksey,

done today, I will send on in the next day or so.

Cheers Roger.

Beth

I sent an email to you with photos and an article about Matthew Clayson Australian Munitions Worker 22 buried in Chester Overleigh Cemetery.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Harper

Hi Beth , My husband ,daughter and myself all went through to Dumbarton Cemetery ,we spent almost 3 hours looking for R. Marshall ,there are no section markers but according to CWGC he is in section B.E. 372, after 2 hours we spoke to a cemetery worker asking for help ,they took my husband into the office and went through all the records and sections, according to them there is no such section number in that cemetery . They found records for three Marshall graves but none had any reference to R Marshall ,they even came out into the grounds with the books but no trace can be found.I dont know if any other members from Dumbarton area can help with this one,or if you wish to contact CWGC and check the B.E. 372 incase there might be a mistake.

Mary.

Hi Mary & Beth, one of the Grave Registration documents for Marshall, available on the CWGC website, give B.E.37Z NOT 372; another describes it as: Plot B Class E Lot. 37 Lair.Z with a supplementary note given in the margin: 3 lairs X.Y.Z. (P.P. on centre lair) (M.W.on lair Z. Age 33. (2 other burials civil)

Other than that lair is probably layer, possibly indicating stacked burials, I wouldn't like to say quite what all that means in terms of the burial , but these more detailed notes might mean more to the authorities at the cemetery as it seems likely it would have supplied this information to the CWGC in the first place.

The Headstone schedule is marked with a note 'Headstone for this grave is not included in the contract', possibly suggesting it has/had a private memorial

Hope this helps(?)

Edit: 'lair' is apparently Scotch dialect for 'plot' (the OED gives 'The resting place of a corpse; a grave, tomb. Now only Sc., a plot in a graveyard.') I can only suggest that X Y Z refers to 3 burials in Lot 37 with, from the above, Marshall's being in 'Z', & the 2 civil burials in X & Y; it also looks, as the grave registration document gives in the 'type of memorial' column 'P.P & M.W' that from the notes 'P.P on centre lair' & 'M.W on lair Z' - ie the latter being Marshall's plot - there might be a memorial covering all three burials over the centre plot & one specific to Marshall over his, so possibly this is a family plot.

Marshall's service record gives: 'grave Private Section Family Consecrated Ground' (it also mentions 'virgin ground') which also indicates it might be a family plot.

NigelS

Edited by NigelS

Hi Mary & Beth, one of the Grave Registration documents for Marshall, available on the CWGC website, give B.E.37Z NOT 372; another describes it as: Plot B Class E Lot. 37 Lair.Z with a supplementary note given in the margin: 3 lairs X.Y.Z. (P.P. on centre lair) (M.W.on lair Z. Age 33. (2 other burials civil)

Other than that lair is probably layer, possibly indicating stacked burials, I wouldn't like to say quite what all that means in terms of the burial , but these more detailed notes might mean more to the authorities at the cemetery as it seems likely it would have supplied this information to the CWGC in the first place.

The Headstone schedule is marked with a note 'Headstone for this grave is not included in the contract', possibly suggesting it has/had a private memorial

Hope this helps(?)

NigelS

The lair means the actual grave plot, on the War Graves Photographic Archive there is a small photo of the headstone, it is a large private memorial.

http://twgpp.org/inf....php?id=3134367

Hi NigelS ,Peter, thank you so very much for all your help, this should make it a lot easier when we go back ,i will print all the information off and take it with us ,even having the picture will be a big help.We were pretty sure it was not a CWGC stone as although they are here there and everywhere in this cemetery they were easy to spot, so we were pretty sure it was a family stone but have to admit we thought it must have been removed when even the staff could not find it..Thank you both very much again. Showed husband that it should have been 37 Z but he is still worried they have not got a section B .E. in their Ledger books ,but he hopes the picture might be enough to let us find it.

Mary.

Edited by mysie

Hi NigelS ,Peter, thank you so very much for all your help, this should make it a lot easier when we go back ,i will print all the information off and take it with us ,even having the picture will be a big help.We were pretty sure it was not a CWGC stone as although they are here there and everywhere in this cemetery they were easy to spot, so we were pretty sure it was a family stone but have to admit we thought it must have been removed when even the staff could not find it..Thank you both very much again. Showed husband that it should have been 37 Z but he is still worried they have not got a section B .E. in their Ledger books ,but he hopes the picture might be enough to let us find it.

Mary.

Mary

If you phone the CWGC (mornings only until further notice) they will give you the grave location in proximity to a Commission Headstone. I have saved hours of my time and my arthritic knees using this method

Good luck !

Peter