Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australians W.W.1 buried in the UK

sandybee49

Hi All,

I am currently building a website for World War 1 Australian servicemen/women who were laid to rest in the UK and so am wondering if there is any kind people that could help with this project, by photographing their headstones.

I hope giving the web address is acceptable, http://ww1austburialsuk.weebly.com.

There is an email address at the bottom of the web home page, if you think you could help, I would very much appreciate hearing from you.

The website is still a work in progress, some cemeteries not as yet listed and some have the cemetery name but no soldiers details, getting there as fast as I can

I have removed those cemetery names that I have received photos for, hoping it will be easier

LONDON - , Abney Park,

So very MANY THANKS for all those that have given so generously of their time to assist me, the support is great.

Cheers

Beth - sandybee49

Edited by sandybee49
Removing names of photos no longer needed

Welcome to the GWF!

I know it's a daunting task, but you will get a much better response if you list all of the 261 cemeteries.

Many GWF members will often do a 1/2 hour drive to get one headstone photo.

BillyH.

Welcome to the Forum, Beth, and good luck with your quest. There are 636 Australian war graves in Wiltshire alone, though the county was where the AIF was concentrated from 1916 to 1919.

(Unfortunately I'm unable to help, as I don't live in Wiltshire and my only camera is a 1960 Zeiss Ikon - still going strong, but not much good for large-scale photography and transmission of photographs!)

Good website, by the way. Your email address is very vaguely familiar - I wonder if we've been in contact before about Wiltshire camps where Australians were based?

Moonraker

Ahhhhh, so you finally got here.

As BillyH said, it would be best to list all Cemeteries, even better if those Cemeteries are by Counties, then you may get someone who may pick up on all photos in an individual County.

If you edit your first post and add the list to there it will be visible to everyone who looks at your post, as a lot of people on reading the title of the thread will only read the first post to see what it about. The edit button is visible bottom right of your original post.

Tony

After seeing what you need from my local area and looking at what I already have, here's Morrison's grave in Burnley Cemetery, Lancashire...

Dave

post-357-0-99178800-1414067312_thumb.jpg

...and his name listed on the screen wall at the cemetery entrance...

post-357-0-75158900-1414067433_thumb.jpg

...and here're Sweeny and Willis' graves in Queen Mary's Hospital Military Cemetery, Whalley, Lancs....

post-357-0-85947800-1414067598_thumb.jpg

post-357-0-20503300-1414067610_thumb.jpg

...and their names on the plaques attached to the Cross of Sacrifice in that cemetery...

post-357-0-80992600-1414067740_thumb.jpg

Beth,

It looks to me , without looking at every letter on your website, that you already have quite a few photographs already.

For example, I was going to offer Widford, St Mary's but I see you already have Private Louis HOPP's grave.

I agree with the suggestion above - it really would help if you list the cemeteries you do not already have on here.

Or at least suggest we should check your website to to see which you already have before making a special trip.

Having said that I don't think you have Tottenham Cemetery (N. London) names (they are all on the screen wall).

I can let you have those.

CGM

I have Samuel Jude in Wisbech Mount Pleasant Cemetery

Beth,

It looks to me , without looking at every letter on your website, that you already have quite a few photographs already.

For example, I was going to offer Widford, St Mary's but I see you already have Private Louis HOPP's grave.

I agree with the suggestion above - it really would help if you list the cemeteries you do not already have on here.

Or at least suggest we should check your website to to see which you already have before making a special trip.

Having said that I don't think you have Tottenham Cemetery (N. London) names (they are all on the screen wall).

CGM

That's 261 cemeteries holding 2,568 graves. I hope that Beth continues to get a good response, but being an Old Misery I can see a possible couple of problems. If people post their images here, then this thread is going to get cumbersome. OK, it may become quite a useful reference tool in itself (albeit one that's difficult to search), but then we already have access to Beth's own database. On the other hand, it may take Beth a while to process responses, which may result in duplication and perhaps unnecessary journeys.

There are bound to be different views about the way ahead, but my own is that if you can think you can help:

1. Check Beth's existing website.

2. If you can help from your existing records, send her the images and merely note here that you have done so and whose graves they are. I do wonder about posting more images here when they should soon become available on Beth's website.

3. If you think of making a special journey to take photographs, note your intent here.

Moonraker

I too was a little bit confused as, even though the info is listed I cannot see any photos attached to each name.

I have sent

Cheltenham Cemetery

Gloucester Old Cemetery

Painswick Cemetery

and 1 of 2 men from

Kingston-upon-Thames Cemetery (R.B.SHERGOLD)

Simon.

I have sent Beth the photo of 29329 Gnr L A Orchard in Kilbirnie Cemetery.

Hi Beth,

I have a copy of corporal William Arthur Long's headstone in Cockermouth cemetery if you would like.

Regards Mike.

Beth

Do you know about 2nd Air Mechanic Stanley Noel Marsden 2628 Australian Flying Corps who is buried in Wendover (Bucks) churchyard. There is a photograph of him and his headstone on our website at www.buckinghamshireremembers.org.uk His is a sad story as he took his own life and there are details of the Coroners Inquest giving reasons for his state of mind at the time and many other details.

There is also a photo on the website of the headstone of Pte Joseph Walker Pooley 7294 Australian Infantry buried at High Wycombe (Bucks) Churchyard.

I will PM photos to you if you prefer.

June

Beth,

I have all, or your missing ones, for the following South London cemeteries:

Brockley

Bromley - Plaistow

Hither Green

Ladywell

I don't see Nunhead (All Saints) on your website, but I have all of them as well.

Regarding Greenwich, there is a photo in the service record of 501 L/Cpl Albert Murray Wilson of his original cross in Plot A (Grave 287). He was later reburied in the Dominion Plot 3 "C" z.

I will email over the weekend.

Phil

Hi Beth,

I have a copy of corporal William Arthur Long's headstone in Cockermouth cemetery if you would like.

Regards Mike.

Hi Mike,

That would be great & much appreciated

Cheers

Beth

Beth,

I have all, or your missing ones, for the following South London cemeteries:

Brockley

Bromley - Plaistow

Hither Green

Ladywell

I don't see Nunhead (All Saints) on your website, but I have all of them as well.

Regarding Greenwich, there is a photo in the service record of 501 L/Cpl Albert Murray Wilson of his original cross in Plot A (Grave 287). He was later reburied in the Dominion Plot 3 "C" z.

I will email over the weekend.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Thanks so much, for your kind offer, so far the website is still a work in progress, some cemetery names as yet not listed, but with all the very generous help I am adding names as fast as I can, and will change my original listing, giving the cemeteries I need.

Several people have suggested this, so as a newbie to this forum, am happy to try and oblige.

Beth

Do you know about 2nd Air Mechanic Stanley Noel Marsden 2628 Australian Flying Corps who is buried in Wendover (Bucks) churchyard. There is a photograph of him and his headstone on our website at www.buckinghamshireremembers.org.uk His is a sad story as he took his own life and there are details of the Coroners Inquest giving reasons for his state of mind at the time and many other details.

There is also a photo on the website of the headstone of Pte Joseph Walker Pooley 7294 Australian Infantry buried at High Wycombe (Bucks) Churchyard.

I will PM photos to you if you prefer.

June

Thanks June, will take a look at the site

Cheers

Welcome to the GWF!

I know it's a daunting task, but you will get a much better response if you list all of the 261 cemeteries.

Many GWF members will often do a 1/2 hour drive to get one headstone photo.

BillyH.

Hi BillyH

Have done as you suggested, and listed the majority of the cemeteries

Cheers

Beth

Welcome to the Forum, Beth, and good luck with your quest. There are 636 Australian war graves in Wiltshire alone, though the county was where the AIF was concentrated from 1916 to 1919.

(Unfortunately I'm unable to help, as I don't live in Wiltshire and my only camera is a 1960 Zeiss Ikon - still going strong, but not much good for large-scale photography and transmission of photographs!)

Good website, by the way. Your email address is very vaguely familiar - I wonder if we've been in contact before about Wiltshire camps where Australians were based?

Moonraker

Hi

Thanks so much for your kind words.

sandybee49

Ahhhhh, so you finally got here.

As BillyH said, it would be best to list all Cemeteries, even better if those Cemeteries are by Counties, then you may get someone who may pick up on all photos in an individual County.

If you edit your first post and add the list to there it will be visible to everyone who looks at your post, as a lot of people on reading the title of the thread will only read the first post to see what it about. The edit button is visible bottom right of your original post.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Have done as you suggested, and hopefully have listed the majority of what I would hope to be lucy enough to get.

...and their names on the plaques attached to the Cross of Sacrifice in that cemetery...

Thanks so much for your much appreciated photos, I will get them on the website as soon as I am able.

Cheers

sandybee49

Beth,

CGM

Hi

Have done as was suggested and listed those cemeteries I would like to have photos from

I do have the screens from Tottenham, but many thanks for your kind offer

The website is still a work in progress, so some of the cemeteries are not as yet listed

Cheers

sandybee49