Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australians W.W.1 buried in the UK

sandybee49

Beth

I can send you Lt Roy Cumestree Trout, Australian Flying Corps. London Road Cemetery, Coventry

TR

Hi

Thanks for your kind offer, but I do have Lt. Trout

Many Thanks

Beth

Here's a folder with about 90 photos, mostly of Australian WW1 graves at St John's church in Sutton Veny, Wiltshire, that I took in 2013.

And here is the CWGC web page for Sutton Veny.

Lastly, here is an placard at St John's with some history.

Hope these are helpful.

Hi

Have added all the photos you so kindly sent, I am in the process of loading the remaining photos needed to complete Sutton Veny - donated by another source

Cheers

Beth

sandybee49

Hi my husband did Berriedale Parish Church Caithness Scotland last year ,according to his recording book there are no Australians in the cemetery ,only three Seaforth Highlanders .Unless one of the three came home from Australia and joined the Seaforths.I have looked at the CWGC listings and it just shows the same.

Mary.

• Admin

All you might be waiting for some time.....

Michelle

Hi Sandybee49

I have emailed the image of Pte Roland John Matthews, buried in St Laurence Churchyard, Alvechurch, to your website. Hope you have it. Cheers Cresser. (There were two other graves alongside Rolands bearing the same surname of Matthews, I photographed these as well just in case they were connected.)

(Sorry - hadn`t realised this had already been done)

Hi my husband did Berriedale Parish Church Caithness Scotland last year ,according to his recording book there are no Australians in the cemetery ,only three Seaforth Highlanders .Unless one of the three came home from Australia and joined the Seaforths.I have looked at the CWGC listings and it just shows the same.

Mary.

Hi Mary,

The strange thing is that the Australian War Memorial site is where I originally got Berriedale from, I now know that this is incorrect

Thanks so much for getting in touch.

Beth

Will do West Hanningfield. Essex for you when it stops raining.

Al

Thanks Al,

Guess your weather is not the best, I think I would rather the rain that the heat we will get Dec. - March, not a great lover of 35 40 degree heat.

Will be happy to accept your offer of the photo when your time allows

Cheers

Beth

Hi Beth - have sent you photo re Private Frederick Torson 521A, Bennochy Cemetery, Kirkcaldy

Many Thanks it is up on the website

Cheers

Beth

Hi have emailed J.Royal Ammunition worker buried in Gretna.

Mary.

Thanks Mary, don't know why his headstone isn't the same as other Australian Munition Workers

Cheers

Beth

A break in the rain so managed to get to West Hanningfield.

Sad to see the state of the grave.

PM your email address so I can send images.

Al

Hi again,

I have now been able to get images of three more Australians buried here for you, ie: Private Ernest Barrett, Private William Ashley Vickery and Walter Roland Todd - all buried at Brandwood End Cemetery in Birmingham UK, and emailed to your site - hope that is OK. Cheers, cresser.

Hello Beth I can cover Bradford, Brotton, Bentley-with-Arksey, Beverley and Sledmere for you.

Cheers Roger.

Hi Beth have emailed, St Cyrus Upper Church,and Aberdeen Nellfield. Will go and get Blackfaulds for you tomorrow if weather is ok, turns out the grave is in a old farm.

Mary Seivwright.

Isn't it strange how you can be looking for one thing and discover something else.

I was researching some old editions of the "North Wales Chonicle" looking for any references to places near my childhood home in Anglesey, North Wales, and chanced across this tragic story.

It transpires that John Sullivan was also known as John Doheny, and is recorded as such on the Australian Roll of Honour:

http://www.awm.gov.au/people/rolls/R1724803/

And he is buried in Glanadda Cemetery, Bangor.

And the next time I'm up that way, I will try and find the grave for you.

post-109762-0-14810800-1417125843_thumb.

A break in the rain so managed to get to West Hanningfield.

Sad to see the state of the grave.

PM your email address so I can send images.

Al

Hi

You can email me at gawlersoldiers@internode.on.net

Many Thanks

Beth sandybee49

Hi Sandybee49

I have emailed the image of Pte Roland John Matthews, buried in St Laurence Churchyard, Alvechurch, to your website. Hope you have it. Cheers Cresser. (There were two other graves alongside Rolands bearing the same surname of Matthews, I photographed these as well just in case they were connected.)

(Sorry - hadn`t realised this had already been done)

Hi cresser,

It is your photo on the website

Beth

Hi again,

I have now been able to get images of three more Australians buried here for you, ie: Private Ernest Barrett, Private William Ashley Vickery and Walter Roland Todd - all buried at Brandwood End Cemetery in Birmingham UK, and emailed to your site - hope that is OK. Cheers, cresser.

Hi cresser,

I have all the photos many thanks

Cheers

Beth

Hello Beth I can cover Bradford, Brotton, Bentley-with-Arksey, Beverley and Sledmere for you.

Cheers Roger.

Hi Roger,

This would be wonderful, many thanks

Cheers

Beth

Hi Beth did you get the Nellfield in Aberdeen one that i emailed.? We went to get the one at Blackfaulds farm spent over two hours looking for it by the time we found the right field it was to dark and wet so will have another try over the weekend.

Mary.

Guest Giles Smith

Hi sandybee49 or should it be Beth,

Have just sent an e-mail to the address given on the mentioned website with a photo and details of the Australian airman - 2/Lt. Roderick Oliver Sherar buried at Clifton upon Dunsmore, Warwickshire.

I hope the photo and info are adequate for your needs.

Regards...MeccanoNut

Hi Beth did you get the Nellfield in Aberdeen one that i emailed.? We went to get the one at Blackfaulds farm spent over two hours looking for it by the time we found the right field it was to dark and wet so will have another try over the weekend.

Mary.

Hi Mary,

Yes I got the photo from Nellfield, many thanks

Thanks for going to so much bother on the Blackfaulds Farm, I will never be able to thank everyone enough for all the effort they have put in to getting the photos for me.

Cheers

Beth

Hi sandybee49 or should it be Beth,

Have just sent an e-mail to the address given on the mentioned website with a photo and details of the Australian airman - 2/Lt. Roderick Oliver Sherar buried at Clifton upon Dunsmore, Warwickshire.

I hope the photo and info are adequate for your needs.

Regards...MeccanoNut

Hi,

Yes, received the email, many thanks

Cheers

Beth

Hi Beth my husband had a go to get the one at Blackfaulds farm done this morning but it is at the top of a hill in a field and he could not find a way through the bottom of the field which is a Bog and at times was up to his knees so had to give it up. When he got back to the car to change a women past him walking her dogs he asked if she knew any other route up to the Burial ground ,she replied no that is the only way in but you cant get into it now as the wooden door is locked and the stone wall is way to high to see or climb over.She said the farmer used to have the key but she has no idea where or who has the key now. The farm was up for sale but is now burned down and has been taken off the market.He will be only to willing to try again but it might have to wait till the summer time and the ground drys up, but that still leaves the problem of finding out who has the key.

Mary.