Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

3 hours ago, neverforget said:

Wild guess: Dashiell Hammett?

No. He was Russian: a brave man, but a very foolhardy one. He was a Tower of Russian literature.

Young looking in the photo, is the uniform some form of voluntary Red Cross, the badge appears to be the intertwined serpents as used by the USA medical, was he a Russian doctor who took to writing novels?

35 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Isaac Babel.   The Tower pun-OUCH!!

Yes indeed. He served in the GW and in the Polish-Soviet War. He later had an affair with the wife of the NKVD boss Yeshov. This was a blunder - he was arrested, "interrogated", and shot by firing squad in the Lubyanka in 1940. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Babel

5 hours ago, neverforget said:

William Stanley Sykes?

Author of Essays on the First Hundred Years of Anaesthesia, and also three detective novels.

Correct! Surgeon Probationer aboard HMS SABRINA, where a rat chewed his textbooks.

This lady is in keeping with the running theme, and has a connection with the G.W.

.ac.jpg.740ce09ed433e9d2cf0d6fa696a411e5.jpg

2 hours ago, neverforget said:

This lady is in keeping with the running theme, and has a connection with the G.W.

.ac.jpg.740ce09ed433e9d2cf0d6fa696a411e5.jpg

Perhaps this is the novelist Mary Ward, aka Mrs Humphrey Ward; the author of 'Missing' (1917).

'Missing' "details the agonies felt by mothers and wives in the no man’s land between pain and fear, trying to track down their men reported missing, often destroyed without trace, in France."

2 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Perhaps this is the novelist Mary Ward, aka Mrs Humphrey Ward; the author of 'Missing' (1917).

'Missing' "details the agonies felt by mothers and wives in the no man’s land between pain and fear, trying to track down their men reported missing, often destroyed without trace, in France."

Not her U.G. 

She did, however, lose an extended family member in the Somme battle. 

Would it be Doris Bell Collier who wrote detective novels under the name of Josephine Bell, she to was a physician of note.

1 minute ago, Knotty said:

Would it be Doris Bell Collier who wrote detective novels under the name of Josephine Bell, she to was a physician of note.

No, not her either. She did write detective stories under a pseudonym though, and her main heroine is said to mirror one of Agatha Christie's. 

A very prolific writer. Her career ran parallel to Christie's, and their output was also numerically very similar.

Although considered and described as British, she wasn't actually born in this country.

Those clues should solve the mystery.

Ngaio Marsh?

4 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Ngaio Marsh?

Frayed knot sJ.

The case is still open. 

34 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Patricia Wentworth?

The case is closed. Well done.

Wrote 68 detective novels which is exactly the same number written by A. Christie. 

Stepson was killed on the Somme.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patricia_Wentworth

Changing theme if I may ...

IMG_20180103_174057.jpg

SJ,

I'm not sure that we haven't had this chap on WIT before

And I'm fairly sure that somewhere on this GWF is a thread with details about his son's career:

A good AdC to his Dad in WWI, and a terrible and sad end in WWII

regards

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

I think you're both right :D

Incidentally the picture is my own photograph of a frontispiece. Shall I tease you by asking which book? ;)

Edited by seaJane

43 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Shall I tease you by asking which book

Congratulations; your copy is probably original and it is certainly better than my reprint.

Where I have an original history of one of the battalions, this portrait appears as the frontispiece

SAP.jpg.6bb2f19c41dbd1a23758fb79fd93881b.jpg

Mine isn't a battalion history but a (joint) memoir. It's been rebound but the text-block is original.

Edited by seaJane

Isn't it Harry Chauvel?

4 hours ago, neverforget said:

Harry Chauvel?

Don’t think I have ever seen a photo of him without his wearing an Aussie slouch hat, (In truth I may have, but not taken any notice)

17 hours ago, seaJane said:

Mine isn't a battalion history but a (joint) memoir

Ah...so we' talking about the same portrait, but used in different books

I'm at a loss as to whether it's Chauvel or not. It would be nice to know one way or the other.